Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

Hyperriker posted:

DEEP SPACE NINE

Just popping in to say "Jesus god, that's a terrifying image." Is it a publicity still?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

The Dark One posted:

You forgot the little Bajoran forehead ridge. :smug:

I mentioned this a while back. Kira and the other Bajorans have that in the beginning of DSP too, then they just sort of disappear.

Probably to do with tribbles somehow.

Soylent Pudding
Jun 22, 2007

We've got people!

I love how when Worf is asked about the change in Klingon makeup between TOS and DS9 he just replies "we don't like to talk about it."

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

Apple Jax posted:

I haven't played FTL in a while (mostly because I could never beat the thing :argh:) but I might have to get that mod and pick it up again. Hope they have a better ship then the E, what the hell.

Speaking of better ships, I got a 1701 Refit model kit for xmas and I'm totally excited since this will be my first Trek model since a 1701 non-refit I made in middle school.

lovely cell phone picture:

The scale model thread is here if you need any help. (You seem like a crafty person but everybody needs to understand the strong opinions of nerds on primer and glue, let alone agonize over what the real shade of space-grey is.)

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

Data Graham posted:

In the future, the mullet will be a unisex hairstyle

Where I come from it was one in the past too

Apple Jax
May 19, 2008

IDIC 4 LYF

Nebakenezzer posted:

The scale model thread is here if you need any help. (You seem like a crafty person but everybody needs to understand the strong opinions of nerds on primer and glue, let alone agonize over what the real shade of space-grey is.)

Awesome, don't know how I never saw that thread in CC before. Of course I can recall every detail from the glorious Enterprise refit from memory but, I really haven't done a model in a while so I kinda need some strong nerd opinions. Thanks!

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

The real shade of TOS space-gray is eggshell :colbert:

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is back up on Netflix!

Watch this cinematic masterpiece and you will bear witness to such dazzling scenes as:

Bearded McCoy with disco medallion berates the Shat for using a 'reserve activation clause!'

Sulu practices his wide-eyed 'holy poo poo' face for hours on end!

Witness Spock's bad case of constipation almost all through the movie!

The first appearance of the Refit Enterprise!

Some bald lady breaks out of Sick Bay! (Good thing their doors are made out of aluminum foil!)

The first filmed teleporter accident since Wolf in The Fold!

Acting so wooden you'll swear you can hear the woodpecker tapping on Kirk's leg!

All this and more!

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Binary Badger posted:

Watch this cinematic masterpiece and you will bear witness to such dazzling scenes as:

An emergency happens and the Enterprise crew has to go on an Important Mission while still in their pajamas.

I imagine it was impressive to see the Enterprise on the big screen for the very first time, but my first theater trek was VI, and I can barely sit through TMP's endless stretches of nothing in particular.

V'Ger was a cool though. 2AUs lol

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

Trent posted:

V'Ger was a cool though. 2AUs lol

2 AU was the Director's Edition version, the original theatrical release had the energy field being 82 AU in diameter.

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Don't forget Admiral Kirk personally assisted in dispersing Commander Sonak's pattern, er I mean tried to integrate him. He was so eager to get Spock on deck he offed Sonak!

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?
Bones was awesome :colbert:

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

2 AU was the Director's Edition version, the original theatrical release had the energy field being 82 AU in diameter.

Haha better go to the planet at center of the galaxy. Warp 2

Seriously, were they just intentionally avoiding having a science consultant with at least a high school education?

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Binary Badger posted:

Bearded McCoy with disco medallion berates the Shat for using a 'reserve activation clause!'

Some bald lady breaks out of Sick Bay! (Good thing their doors are made out of aluminum foil!)

Acting so wooden you'll swear you can hear the woodpecker tapping on Kirk's leg!

All this and more!

Also the Kojack bald chick has her vow of chastity on file! What does that mean? No idea, but Checkov loves it!

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Did they ever explain why it made sense for the cardassians to put an ore processing plant on a space station instead of just on the ground? Seems like it'd be a lot more difficult.

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

If you think that, along the way, you're not going to fail... you're blind.

There's no one I've ever met, no matter how successful they are, who hasn't said they had their failures along the way.

Well, considering Empok Nor also exists, I suppose the Cardies just have a whole series of Nors which they move into orbit around planets they're exploiting.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Trent posted:

Did they ever explain why it made sense for the cardassians to put an ore processing plant on a space station instead of just on the ground? Seems like it'd be a lot more difficult.

All slavery in Star Trek must involve mining.

Farecoal
Oct 15, 2011

There he go

Binary Badger posted:

Hey that's the best part of the movie :colbert:

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"

Jack Gladney posted:

All slavery in Star Trek must involve mining.

Kivas Fajo begs to differ.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

And to the actual point of the question, must also involve grossly impractical uses of heavy-lift energy.

You know, just to prove that they can. Like offshoring your smartphone assembly work to Switzerland instead of China.

Vengeance of Pandas
Sep 8, 2008

THE TERRIBLE POST WENT THATAWAY!
Asteroid mining? Might have been for security purposes as well since I'd assume Terok Nor was a bit more secure than any planetside facility.

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Did I just say that out loud~~?!!!
Much like Stalin's Gulag, the mining serves no actual practical purpose besides to create misery, the slave labor is probably beside the point and requires more input than it produces. It's more of a psychological thing, I'm thinking.

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

You're obviously shipping it off planet in the end anyhow, so the mass has to get to space no matter what. You can process it planetside, which means you're exposing your expensive fancy facility to attack by misguided Bajorans that don't understand the generosity of their Cardassian friends who merely seek to employ as many Bajorans as possible and remove the repressive caste system. Or you can process it on Cardassian planets. Or you could process it in Bajoran orbit, where the population of Bajoran laborers is available for use but it's more difficult for Bajoran terrorists to strike at it. For all we know, the slag may have had a value too so that might not have been lost energy getting unprocessed ore into space.

LEGO Genetics
Oct 8, 2013

She growls as she storms the stadium
A villain mean and rough
And the cops all shake and quiver and quake
as she stabs them with her cuffs

Binary Badger posted:

All this and more!
You forgot the very last exchange:

"Did we just see the beginning of a new lifeform?"
"Yes Captain, we witnessed a birth. Possibly a next step in our evolution."

And it was never referenced again.

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

V'Ger died on his way back to his home planet.

wait....

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer
TMP is flawed but owns. If you disagree you should be patterned for data storage

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

LEGO Genetics posted:

I don't think we ever got to see a Klingon battlecruiser fart out a torpedo use its aft torpedo bay again either, unless it was in the background of that one badass DS9 episode.

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

Trent posted:

Haha better go to the planet at center of the galaxy. Warp 2

Seriously, were they just intentionally avoiding having a science consultant with at least a high school education?

I'm pretty sure they did actually have an idea of how big 82 AU is. V'Ger was intended to be unfathomably powerful even by the standards of an interstellar civilization.

LEGO Genetics posted:

Yeah because that next step would definitely have to take place within the next century...

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

Yeah because that next step would definitely have to take place within the next century...
Didn't the Shatnerverse novels peg V'Ger as having come from the Borg home planet?

LEGO Genetics
Oct 8, 2013

She growls as she storms the stadium
A villain mean and rough
And the cops all shake and quiver and quake
as she stabs them with her cuffs

Remember that TNG episode that said warp drive was destroying the very fabric of the universe and to prove it that one scientist lady killed herself and it was most definitely not a stand in for global warming?

LEGO Genetics fucked around with this message at 09:32 on Jan 2, 2014

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer
Voyager's nacelles pivoted because Rick Berman said of the warp speed spacetime fuckery thing.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

LEGO Genetics posted:

Remember that TNG episode that said warp drive was destroying the very fabric of the universe and to prove it that one scientist lady killed herself and it was most definitely not a stand in for global warming?

Federation ships limited to Warp Factor 5 for emergencies probably dropped to the wayside when the Dominion War was upon them. Plus there's no reason to Voyager to adhere to it since they were stuck in an entire quadrant with no major warp travel capable race.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

pentyne posted:

Federation ships limited to Warp Factor 5 for emergencies probably dropped to the wayside when the Dominion War was upon them. Plus there's no reason to Voyager to adhere to it since they were stuck in an entire quadrant with no major warp travel capable race.

I thought it was that they had to go Warp Factor 5 or less at all times EXCEPT in cases of emergency. DS9 might still be holding to that rule, they just spent a lot of time in a state of emergency.

And as you said, Voyager didn't give a gently caress, but if Janeway had known about it, you know she would have used it as an excuse why they couldn't get home faster. "Guys, I'd love to get us back quicker, but that pesky Federation speed limit says that we're not taking her past 4.9999, and hey, you never know when a cop could be waiting to write us a ticket!"

ETA: Yep, I was right! From Memory Alpha:

quote:

"Until we can find a way to counteract the warp field effect, the Council feels our best course is to slow the damage as much as possible. Therefore, areas of space found susceptible to warp fields will be restricted to essential travel only, and effective immediately, all Federation vessels will be limited to a speed of – Warp 5 – except in cases of extreme emergency."

WampaLord fucked around with this message at 10:07 on Jan 2, 2014

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

Wasn't it also established that whatever ore Terok Nor processed it was highly explosive? Maybe it makes too easy of a target for Bajoran terrorists if it's on the ground.

Tony Montana
Aug 6, 2005

by FactsAreUseless

Tighclops posted:

TMP is flawed but owns. If you disagree you should be patterned for data storage

Why would we store someone who thought that? Like in the brilliant movie Moon, where they are telling the poor, bleeding, falling apart clone to get into this box as your last task and you'll be sent back to Earth. Except the box is an incinerator.

You don't like TMP? Please step this way, Sir.

This is also a nice part of TMP

She's a robot, bro.
A robot? She doesn't look like any robot I've ever seen

OtherworldlyInvader
Feb 10, 2005

The X-COM project did not deliver the universe's ultimate cup of coffee. You have failed to save the Earth.

Trent posted:

Well it makes no logical sense for any interstellar civilization to do anything on a planet besides sight seeing, but this is Star Trek so that's obviously not the answer.

RaspberryCommie
May 3, 2008

Stop! My penis can only get so erect.
Didn't they add in the concept of "Variable geometry warp fields" or whatever in DS9 and Voyager to counteract the warp 5 thing because it was stupid?

Islam is the Lite Rock FM
Jul 27, 2007

by exmarx

RaspberryCommie posted:

Didn't they add in the concept of "Variable geometry warp fields" or whatever in DS9 and Voyager to counteract the warp 5 thing because it was stupid?

Hopefully someone gets to monitor the warp geometry and takes pictures when it looks like a dick.

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu: sometimes passing just isn't an option.
TMP would've been much better if they could've heavily edited down the first act - that part really drags and once they're in space it actually gets pretty good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nutsngum
Oct 9, 2004

I don't think it's nice, you laughing.

Soylent Pudding posted:

I love how when Worf is asked about the change in Klingon makeup between TOS and DS9 he just replies "we don't like to talk about it."

I still think they should have dealt with that by simply making up Michael Dorn in the old style Klingon makeup when they go back in time and having no one tell any difference.

• Locked thread