Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ron Paul Atreides
Apr 19, 2012

Uyghurs situation in Xinjiang? Just a police action, do not fret. Not ongoing genocide like in EVIL Canada.

I am definitely not a tankie.
I fear the yearly tradition of Canadian winters is going to severely reduce my speed in getting the last 300000 I need for 8 :ohdear:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chemosh6969
Jul 3, 2004

code:
cat /dev/null > /etc/professionalism

I am in fact a massive asswagon.
Do not let me touch computer.
Anyone still playing? I just heard about this a week ago and it looks like it just started picking up in my area. There was a a bunch of unclaimed portals around me but now they've all started to get claimed. Go team terrorist smurf!

Loucks
May 21, 2007

It's incwedibwe easy to suck my own dick.

I do. Sort of. There are plenty of hardcore players around here who seem to just drive around killing resonators and making fields all day, but there's no way I'm putting that much effort into a game. I do tend to pull my phone out in public places more often to check to see whether there are any portals around though. We've also had a substantial influx of new players over the last week or so judging by comm traffic.

Also a lot of players around here take the team thing really seriously. It's bizarre.

Qu Appelle
Nov 3, 2005

"If a COVID-19 pandemic occurs, public health officials may have additional instructions, such as avoiding close contact with others as much as possible, and staying home if someone in your household is sick." - Official insights from Public Health: Seattle & King County staff

I ran into some friends who are in a 'team'; they invited me to join them, and then immediately told me I was playing the game 'wrong', technique wise. I nodded, smiled, hung with them for a tiny bit, but I don't think I'm going to join up with them, ultimately.

I'm playing more recently, just because I have time to devote to it's intended purpose for me, which is to get outside and walk long distances while blowing poo poo up. At this point, I don't care if I never get to Level 8, I'm just in it for the exercise.

Lately, I've been having the most fun finding esoteric art and other interesting places (like churches), and submitting them as portals. There's a church by where I live that has stained glass patterned doors, lions in front, and trumpet blowing angels on the roof. I have no idea why this majestic place of worship wasn't a portal already; hopefully I have rectified that :colbert:

Qu Appelle fucked around with this message at 06:29 on Dec 21, 2013

Loucks
May 21, 2007

People here will all pile into an SUV and drive around for hours playing. I don't have that kind of time, and if I did I wouldn't piss it away on something slightly better than poopsocking. I've started to concentrate on submitting portals too. I'd rather build than fight over what's already been built, and there are are still a lot of good portal candidates in the area.

Qu Appelle
Nov 3, 2005

"If a COVID-19 pandemic occurs, public health officials may have additional instructions, such as avoiding close contact with others as much as possible, and staying home if someone in your household is sick." - Official insights from Public Health: Seattle & King County staff

Yeah, I've found it kind of demoralizing to build up a portal, just to have it taken down 30 mins later by the same guy who took done that same portal some 20 times now.

I'd rather concentrate on portal creation, and portal discovery, rather than burning through my supplies valiantly defending a Light Rail station from The Resistance. I'm well on my way of getting at least one of every badge.

Exit Strategy
Dec 10, 2010

by sebmojo
I've been super ill lately and haven't had time or energy to play much. Just maintain the L7 farm in my town, really.

chemosh6969
Jul 3, 2004

code:

Qu Appelle posted:

Yeah, I've found it kind of demoralizing to build up a portal, just to have it taken down 30 mins later by the same guy who took done that same portal some 20 times now.

I'd rather concentrate on portal creation, and portal discovery, rather than burning through my supplies valiantly defending a Light Rail station from The Resistance. I'm well on my way of getting at least one of every badge.

Yesterday I just started to get the hang of fields and linking yesterday afternoon. 30 minutes later, in what had been pure smurf territory all week, some green comes and starts attacking resonators and tearing down links. From the comm stuff, I saw that by the time I got home, he started hitting downtown. This morning I find out he drove to the city where I live and attacked the one portal I first did that was near my house. It sucks but I was just planning on doing any portals on walks for the exercise. I'm not driving out to sit in parking lots and play on my phone.

I also want to start doing portal creation too. I sent up a photo yesterday for a portal that was missing it and I really want to start trying to get stuff from Roadside America made into portals http://www.roadsideamerica.com/ Things like the poo poo Fountain in Chicago http://www.roadsideamerica.com/tip/22412

If that stuff isn't good enough for portal creation, I don't know what is.

Pile Of Garbage
May 28, 2007

Got my passcode for completing that survey that was sent out to players a while back, not too shabby:

Does anyone know whether the rewards scale to the agent's level?

Edit: just got confirmation from someone on my local G+ community, the rewards do scale to your level.

Pile Of Garbage fucked around with this message at 22:03 on Dec 23, 2013

GWBBQ
Jan 2, 2005

chemosh6969 posted:

Anyone still playing? I just heard about this a week ago and it looks like it just started picking up in my area. There was a a bunch of unclaimed portals around me but now they've all started to get claimed. Go team terrorist smurf!
Plenty of people are playing (I think they let slip that they had over 100,000 active unique accounts playing,) but we could be a lot more helpful if you give us a general idea of where you are.

Die Sexmonster!
Nov 30, 2005

GWBBQ posted:

Plenty of people are playing (I think they let slip that they had over 100,000 active unique accounts playing,) but we could be a lot more helpful if you give us a general idea of where you are.

Actually, Google+ is a much better resource for hooking up with local players. Found a really active group in my area (south Puget Sound).

Killer-of-Lawyers
Apr 22, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020
Wow, I got into this after letting the app languish all semester on my smart phone when I had to take a trip home for the holidays. This is a blast, but I must of added an extra four hours picking up portals and keys all along the way back to Ft. Worth. That said, I might have to take another extended trip before things start up again in January. This is a pretty great way to see out of the way places and historical markers. -

Adunare
Feb 6, 2011

All whack with poo brain.

Qu Appelle posted:

I ran into some friends who are in a 'team'; they invited me to join them, and then immediately told me I was playing the game 'wrong', technique wise. I nodded, smiled, hung with them for a tiny bit, but I don't think I'm going to join up with them, ultimately.

:ohdear: I think I may have been one of those people. Someone's living room? Most people drinking? And then some drunk (namely, me.) made you a screwdriver?

If so, we totally didn't mean to come across like that, we were just giving pointers on leveling faster. If that's not how you want to play the game, there ain't nothing wrong with that, this game would be boring if no one focused on new portal submissions and general prettifying of the neighborhood. Personally I play the game more as a social event. I don't care as much about getting max AP, I just want to hang out together with others.

If I'm completely wrong, and you're not the person in my area who I'm thinking, just a similar story from someone else, the group you met may have just been overly enthusiastic at seeing lower level players, and come across a bit strong. I'm just going to apologize on some random stranger's behalf.

Qu Appelle
Nov 3, 2005

Apology accepted! It's all good, and you all are good people.

Die Sexmonster!
Nov 30, 2005

Qu Appelle posted:

I ran into some friends who are in a 'team'; they invited me to join them, and then immediately told me I was playing the game 'wrong', technique wise.

The only real things you can do wrong in this game are pretty limited.

Resonator placement: Unless you're in a place that's extremely thick with portals, always stand 40m away from the portal (line it up with the outer edge of your circle) before deploying.

Links/fields: always as small as possible so you don't block further links and fields. While you're leveling this matters a lot less, especially since the game is constantly changing. Don't worry too much about this.

Pile Of Garbage
May 28, 2007

Pyroxene Stigma posted:

Resonator placement: Unless you're in a place that's extremely thick with portals, always stand 40m away from the portal (line it up with the outer edge of your circle) before deploying.

Links/fields: always as small as possible so you don't block further links and fields. While you're leveling this matters a lot less, especially since the game is constantly changing. Don't worry too much about this.

Nah mate, long links and big fields get the best tears from both factions. For example, someone created this bad boy today blanketing the whole Perth, WA metro-area:

It's still up as of writing. So many pissed-off players.

Zotix
Aug 14, 2011

What does doing that do exactly that pisses off players?

Die Sexmonster!
Nov 30, 2005

Zotix posted:

What does doing that do exactly that pisses off players?

No one in Perth can throw links or make fields.

It's astounding and I pretty much have to like it.

chemosh6969
Jul 3, 2004

code:

Pyroxene Stigma posted:

No one in Perth can throw links or make fields.

It's astounding and I pretty much have to like it.

But they can still do them inside that large field.

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

chemosh6969 posted:

I've only just started playing here (Edinburgh) but I thought you couldn't create fields at all inside another field. No links or fields until the large field is taken down.

Info is really sparse on the game so I'm trying to work it out by experimentation. So far I found that 25 L2 Bursters do nothing to a L5 Resonator.

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!

chemosh6969 posted:

You cannot make links inside a field at all. The only type of links you can do through fields is from the cornerstone portals of the field.

Qu Appelle
Nov 3, 2005

Pyroxene Stigma posted:

I have the portal placement technique down pat. I like seeing the portals where people placed resonators while in a car, it ends up in this Fibonacci sequence of portals, spiraling out from the center of the resonator. Because they can't be botherd to actually get out, and walk around that subdivision park for two whole minutes. I should have taken a picture. It was soze, so pretty.

Now I'm off to go submit more portals. Because, that's honestly the aspect in finding the most fun. Please accept that church art van, Google :ohdear:

chemosh6969
Jul 3, 2004

code:

FrickenMoron posted:

You cannot make links inside a field at all. The only type of links you can do through fields is from the cornerstone portals of the field.

Ah. I did this a couple days ago and thought you could but now I'm seeing I didn't really do that at all.

So would it have been better to do something like what I did or work on less fields but bigger ones? I'm thinking for the AP that the large group of smaller ones would be better but possibly worse for the MU(?) of the faction.

chemosh6969 fucked around with this message at 17:56 on Jan 2, 2014

WhiteHowler
Apr 3, 2001

I'M HUGE!
MU is basically meaningless. You did the right thing - make as many tiny fields as possible for maximum AP.

Big fields are generally just vanity projects for bored level 8's.

Qu Appelle
Nov 3, 2005

Many little fields also looks like someone's Trigonometry homework gone horribly wrong.

GWBBQ
Jan 2, 2005

chemosh6969 posted:

Ah. I did this a couple days ago and thought you could but now I'm seeing I didn't really do that at all.

So would it have been better to do something like what I did or work on less fields but bigger ones? I'm thinking for the AP that the large group of smaller ones would be better but possibly worse for the MU(?) of the faction.
Do you want to maximize AP, maximize defense, or strike a balance between both? Maximizing AP is easy to do, portal defense is laughable and anyone who tries to do it should be laughed at.

WhiteHowler posted:

MU is basically meaningless. You did the right thing - make as many tiny fields as possible for maximum AP.

Big fields are generally just vanity projects for bored level 8's.
We were talking about this in a local chat again today, and I said what I've always said: Ingress is an MMO and what you do in MMOs is hit level cap then grief people. AP and MU are points, but the real score is kept in your community's gallery of screenshots showing whining and complete meltdowns by members of the other faction, plus the people in your ranks you've convinced to put in for faction change.

Of course I'm saying that from the perspective of a CT Resistance player, our situation is a bit unique.

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!

GWBBQ posted:

We were talking about this in a local chat again today, and I said what I've always said: Ingress is an MMO and what you do in MMOs is hit level cap then grief people. AP and MU are points, but the real score is kept in your community's gallery of screenshots showing whining and complete meltdowns by members of the other faction, plus the people in your ranks you've convinced to put in for faction change.

Of course I'm saying that from the perspective of a CT Resistance player, our situation is a bit unique.

No, this is pretty much what ingress boils down in to and its great. I love finding people's pet portals and poo poo on them constantly. Even if you don't pop it you can get them to drive back across town to save it. After a few weeks of daily hits you have a good chance they'll snap in All COMM.

Qu Appelle
Nov 3, 2005

I like the ones who get into the game, call themselves 'agent' in their local G+ group, and spam it with their daily field takedowns. "I made some smurfs butthurt in Tukwila this afternoon! :smug: "

I also like German-themed public art next to a trailer park in rural Startup, Washington. Submitted as a portal, of course. This beats the Firewood Shop I found yesterday in Gold Bar, WA. Again, submitted. Washington State Best State.

Qu Appelle fucked around with this message at 09:15 on Jan 4, 2014

Adunare
Feb 6, 2011

All whack with poo brain.

Qu Appelle posted:

I like the ones who get into the game, call themselves 'agent' in their local G+ group, and spam it with their daily field takedowns. "I made some smurfs butthurt in Tukwila this afternoon! :smug: "

I mostly see new 8s doing this. Give him a couple months, he'll realize no one cares. New 8s are so endearing and adorable with their territoriality.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
This game is loving weird. It's spooky knowing that all those blue dots are people. It makes you paranoid. Also I have no idea what the gently caress I'm doing, when I'm out I'll just randomly look and there's always a ton of portals nearby, I hack them and deploy Resonators, which is what I guess I'm supposed to be doing, but I have no clue what all this other loot I'm getting is.

Oh, and I'm San Diego, Enlightened, if there's like... local goon crews or whatever

Loucks
May 21, 2007

The blue dots aren't people. If the game is making you paranoid maybe smoke a little less hash before you start it up next time.

Despatcher
Nov 26, 2007
Generously Syndromed

Aramoro posted:

I've only just started playing here (Edinburgh) but I thought you couldn't create fields at all inside another field. No links or fields until the large field is taken down.

Info is really sparse on the game so I'm trying to work it out by experimentation. So far I found that 25 L2 Bursters do nothing to a L5 Resonator.

Welcome to the team, I had to double-take when I saw your post. The city is so heavily blue that you'll be supplementing your ap by all the hacking. You will find you can do significantly more in a couple of levels, it's just a tough place for lower levels.

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

Despatcher posted:

Welcome to the team, I had to double-take when I saw your post. The city is so heavily blue that you'll be supplementing your ap by all the hacking. You will find you can do significantly more in a couple of levels, it's just a tough place for lower levels.

I've made a few in roads now targeting weak nodes using the map to score some easy AP's, up to L4 now, L5 soon I think.

chemosh6969
Jul 3, 2004

code:

Aramoro posted:

I've made a few in roads now targeting weak nodes using the map to score some easy AP's, up to L4 now, L5 soon I think.

Going from L4 to L5 wasn't that bad for me. L5 to L6 is another story.

I was thinking of just letting things decay so I can try and reclaim them and make new fields and crap. I'm thinking that's an easier and stress free way to level up. I've still been hacking on my walks, so I'm not too concerned with losing whatever mods I put on them.

Qu Appelle
Nov 3, 2005

chemosh6969 posted:

I was thinking of just letting things decay so I can try and reclaim them and make new fields and crap. I'm thinking that's an easier and stress free way to level up. I've still been hacking on my walks, so I'm not too concerned with losing whatever mods I put on them.

It sounds like a decent strategy.

I let a portal by me decay (a friend claimed and then abandoned it), and then let it sit unclaimed for a day or two. I figure that if the other faction was interested in it, they would have claimed it in that 48 hour period. They didn't, so now it's mine. I just became L7, and the most points I've been getting lately is in making links and fields, but also fully stocking a portal with resonators. Even if it's a crap portal that'll be taken down 2 seconds after you leave, if you fill it up with a bunch of junk L1s, you'll still get the full bonus for fully stocking a resonator. Those add up quickly, especially if there's a lot of misc portals with only 2 or 3 resos on them around you. I don't even bother with mods, unless they're one of my pet portals.

chemosh6969
Jul 3, 2004

code:

Qu Appelle posted:

Even if it's a crap portal that'll be taken down 2 seconds after you leave, if you fill it up with a bunch of junk L1s, you'll still get the full bonus for fully stocking a resonator. Those add up quickly, especially if there's a lot of misc portals with only 2 or 3 resos on them around you. I don't even bother with mods, unless they're one of my pet portals.

I'm situated so that it seems like the only other players that go for portals around where I live and work are people that decide to drive out to them. There's 17 portals in the city I live and I walk by 15 of them when I go out for a walk. Right now I own 12 of them and the resonators are just now starting to decay, so I should get some decent points putting new ones up and redoing the fields. The only action I've really seen in my area was during winter break when some green guys passed through and captured some portals.

P_T_S
Aug 28, 2009

I find that recharging for any reason other than medaling, upkeep on L8 farms or trying to make a babby quit is a waste of time. Once you're level 8 the game is mostly just blowing stuff up and griefing, as has been said.

Loucks
May 21, 2007

chemosh6969 posted:

There's 17 portals in the city I live and I walk by 15 of them when I go out for a walk.

So take a longer walk and submit a few dozen more. It takes almost no time at all. Find a cemetery where survivors had more money than taste and submit all the tacky monuments. There's a cemetery down the street from me with 43 awful markers that were all accepted as portals. You can walk in there with a handful of resonators and walk out thirty minutes later 100k AP closer to reaching level 8 and losing interest entirely.

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

chemosh6969 posted:

The city here is just really full of enemy portals I can walk to dozens and dozens of different ones at lunchtime so what I'm doing is checking out the map, looking for weakened portals, using a calculator to see if I can delink it then heading that way for my lunchtime walk. Seems a reasonable effective strategy at my current level.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chemosh6969
Jul 3, 2004

code:

Loucks posted:

So take a longer walk and submit a few dozen more. It takes almost no time at all. Find a cemetery where survivors had more money than taste and submit all the tacky monuments. There's a cemetery down the street from me with 43 awful markers that were all accepted as portals. You can walk in there with a handful of resonators and walk out thirty minutes later 100k AP closer to reaching level 8 and losing interest entirely.

I live in a town that's 1.3 sq miles and there's not too much more I can add in my area. Although I did find 3 things more things I should be able to get portalized. 2 of them are those stupid peace poles I've never really noticed before but they have one at work that's a portal already.

• Locked thread