Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich

Nate RFB posted:

On the other hand, we can look forward to the Runaway Spirit Squad getting their turn to shine again :buddy: If Akari turns out to be Elsie's sister, all the pieces are going to be there to wrap this up.

Given the opening color spread I was expecting to see an announcement for a Squad spinoff or something at the end of the chapter.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Quixzlizx
Jan 7, 2007
New Chapter

Elsie :3:

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

Well that's another theory confirmed.

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich

Is it bad that I want to hug Elsie and tell her that everything will be okay?

This chapter actually made me cry :qq:

Sidesaddle Cavalry
Mar 15, 2013

Oh Boy Desert Map
Well I'm glad the balance of the worlds is in the skilled supervisory hands of multiple versions of Dokurou and Rimuel.

What was it they usually did again? :v:

I just love those moments in this series now where the action is paused so that characters can blurt out their character development to each other. I mean that in the best way.

Solanumai
Mar 26, 2006

It's shrine maiden, not shrine maid!
It is amazingly funny to me that I thought she was death flagging and then Keima called her out on it.

Sidesaddle Cavalry
Mar 15, 2013

Oh Boy Desert Map

Shere posted:

It is amazingly funny to me that I thought she was death flagging and then Keima called her out on it.

It means he really cares! :kimchi:

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW
I wonder if we'll ever meet Keima's dad?

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
Waffling a bit between thinking Akari not being Elsie's actual sister was a bit of a cop-out and d'awwwwww Elsie.

Zogundar
Dec 5, 2007

Nate RFB posted:

Waffling a bit between thinking Akari not being Elsie's actual sister was a bit of a cop-out and d'awwwwww Elsie.

That bugged me too. It felt like a ret-con. Now it sounds more like a senpai-kouhai relationship. That's mostly one sided wishful thinking.

But, it is Elsie we're talking about. If you took her for her word on food, you'd think she was capable of producing something that does not result in a visit to the emergency room.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.

Zogundar posted:

That bugged me too. It felt like a ret-con. Now it sounds more like a senpai-kouhai relationship. That's mostly one sided wishful thinking.

I don't think so. In the full context of the story, it sounds like they were raised together in the same orphanage (with Akari being the daughter of the person running it). This isn't a coworker relationship or a senpai-kouhai relationship, but an honest "adoptive family" relationship.

Einander
Sep 14, 2008

"Yeh've forged a magnificent sword."

"This one's only practice. The real sword I intend to forge will be three times longer."

"Can there really be a sword as monstrous as that in this world?"

"Yes. I can see that sword... Somewhere out there..."
I dunno, I liked the "ret-con," if it was one. It was a pretty natural perspective for the character. "So many people died that basically no one has living parents or relatives" does a lot to back up Dokuro's "you have no idea how awful the last war was" speech from several chapters back. All the more because Elsie can be sober and serious when she wants to, but having no living relatives is completely normal to her, so she just talks about it lightheartedly. I dunno about you guys, but that all put it in perspective for me.

Strategic use of tonal dissonance is one of my favorite things.

Zogundar
Dec 5, 2007

Clarste posted:

I don't think so. In the full context of the story, it sounds like they were raised together in the same orphanage (with Akari being the daughter of the person running it). This isn't a coworker relationship or a senpai-kouhai relationship, but an honest "adoptive family" relationship.

Well in that quantity and setting it comes across as having a school-like atmosphere (To me.) I'd lean toward the family interpretation more if she was at least one of the orphans Akari remembered. Actually when you take that into account, it's not even senpai-kouhai, it's more like.. um.. school idol and anonymous admirer? Poor Elsie. :smith:

Unrelated:
Speaking of Keima's dad, what are we hoping he'll be like when he inevitably shows up? I can't decide between Final Capturing Technique Sensei or Sinister Glasses Adjusting Bad Guy.

The second one. :getin:

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

I've always pictured KeiDad as being a man who literally has no face.

Zogundar
Dec 5, 2007

Rodyle posted:

I've always pictured KeiDad as being a man who literally has no face.

So you think he's one of the monolith people then

vibratingsheep
Nov 2, 2013

Fudou, Gunzou. The Face of the Franchise Killer. 2004.

Zogundar posted:

So you think he's one of the monolith people then

Or a visual novel/dating sim protagonist from the '90s through the early 2000s.

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich

vibratingsheep posted:

That would be the perfect twist and would explain why Keimom and Keidad's parents were so accepting of Elsie :v:

The_Frag_Man
Mar 26, 2005

vibratingsheep posted:

There should really be a game based on this series. There's a lot of potential.. I can imagine plenty of tributes and poking fun at gameplay tropes etc.
I bet it'd be pretty good.

The Evil Thing
Jul 3, 2010

The_Frag_Man posted:

There should really be a game based on this series. There's a lot of potential.. I can imagine plenty of tributes and poking fun at gameplay tropes etc.
I'd play the hell out of a Stanley Parable version of a visual novel.

The Lord of Hats
Aug 22, 2010

Hello, yes! Is being very good day for posting, no?
See, in my mind the best way to do a VN for this series wouldn't have the player as Keima. You'd be the leader of some conspiracy in hell (who is, coincidentally, a cute girl), watching as your subordinates fall to his influence one by one, desperately trying to avoid falling in love with Keima. You can't succeed, he's just that good.

The_Frag_Man
Mar 26, 2005

If there's anyone in here who hasn't watched season 3 of the anime yet you should do it.
Do it now. It's seriously great.
Kinda miffed that nobody pushed it hard for me and I put it off till recently so, here we are.

Zogundar
Dec 5, 2007
I could only stomach one episode. Now I don't believe in anything any more.

Plus it sold like poo poo anyway, despite what I'm assuming was hope that skipping to the "good" part would somehow mean еее. In fact it looks like it actually sold WORSE than either of the first two seasons. Now there definitely won't ever be another anime again. No Yui arc, no Fiore, no hope, there's no hope :smithicide:

Quixzlizx
Jan 7, 2007
Karmic retribution for glossing over Yui's conquest of Keima.

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich
The heart of Jupiter arc is kind of lame anyways, is still surprise than sold so badly since I really enjoyed it. If someday it got sold here, I will buy it.

Is never gonna happen :smith:

Annointed
Mar 2, 2013

Come on Japan, Yui Arc!

Don't you want my :10bux:

The_Frag_Man
Mar 26, 2005

Zogundar posted:

I could only stomach one episode. Now I don't believe in anything any more.

Plus it sold like poo poo anyway, despite what I'm assuming was hope that skipping to the "good" part would somehow mean еее. In fact it looks like it actually sold WORSE than either of the first two seasons. Now there definitely won't ever be another anime again. No Yui arc, no Fiore, no hope, there's no hope :smithicide:

What made you stop after the first episode? Was it the time skip?
The time skip is really unfortunate. It's why I put off watching it for so long. It's really good apart from that though..
Maybe they will animate the missing stuff in OVAs later.
Where are you getting the sales data from?

Zogundar
Dec 5, 2007

The_Frag_Man posted:

What made you stop after the first episode? Was it the time skip?
The time skip is really unfortunate. It's why I put off watching it for so long. It's really good apart from that though..
Maybe they will animate the missing stuff in OVAs later.
Where are you getting the sales data from?

It wasn't just the time skip. If it had just been the time skip, I could have forgiven that. "They can go back and animate those seasons later if this sells well," I said to myself. No, it was the awful rushed pacing of the episode and the fact that they took four-something seasons worth of material and shoved it into a 1-cour. Even if they did by some miracle go back and animate the other bits, they'd already ruined arguably the most important part. Something like Bleach was kept on life support with over a hundred episodes of filler because there wasn't enough to animate, and something that actually has well over a year's worth of anime material gets this hack rush job? The final insult was the drastic changes made to facilitate the watered down version. Lune showing up instead of Fiore was all I could stands.[sic]

Sales data is from this site:
http://www27392u.sakura.ne.jp/

kami nomi search brings up the following results for the Genteiban Blu-rays (The extra fancy Blu-ray version that gets the most sales across the board):
Route 1.0 1st Season : 2,450 :gbsmith:
Route 1.0 II: 2,269 :smith:
Route 1.0 Megami-hen: 1,829 :cripes:

And for comparison, just look how many Blu-rays of Infinite Stratos 2 they've sold: (And then consider suicide)
Vol. 1 Long Vacation Edition: 17,636 :downs:

(I've heard it said somewhere around here that 5,000 is the magic number that gets you another season.)

Maybe 20 years later someone will make a new version from scratch and it'll sell like hotcakes and then we'll get a proper continuation.

The_Frag_Man
Mar 26, 2005

Zogundar posted:

It wasn't just the time skip. If it had just been the time skip, I could have forgiven that. "They can go back and animate those seasons later if this sells well," I said to myself. No, it was the awful rushed pacing of the episode and the fact that they took four-something seasons worth of material and shoved it into a 1-cour. Even if they did by some miracle go back and animate the other bits, they'd already ruined arguably the most important part. Something like Bleach was kept on life support with over a hundred episodes of filler because there wasn't enough to animate, and something that actually has well over a year's worth of anime material gets this hack rush job? The final insult was the drastic changes made to facilitate the watered down version. Lune showing up instead of Fiore was all I could stands.[sic]

Sales data is from this site:
http://www27392u.sakura.ne.jp/

kami nomi search brings up the following results for the Genteiban Blu-rays (The extra fancy Blu-ray version that gets the most sales across the board):
Route 1.0 1st Season : 2,450 :gbsmith:
Route 1.0 II: 2,269 :smith:
Route 1.0 Megami-hen: 1,829 :cripes:

And for comparison, just look how many Blu-rays of Infinite Stratos 2 they've sold: (And then consider suicide)
Vol. 1 Long Vacation Edition: 17,636 :downs:

(I've heard it said somewhere around here that 5,000 is the magic number that gets you another season.)

Maybe 20 years later someone will make a new version from scratch and it'll sell like hotcakes and then we'll get a proper continuation.

There was definitely cut content, but I think it was unavoidable. I don't know about four seasons worth of material, I do think it would have fit better over two seasons though. I think it would have been better to get a season setting up the goddess arc with tsukiyo, yui and akari captures and it's too bad that didn't happen. Personally I don't mind fiore being cut, I actually keep forgetting who that is. I still think the third season is an excellent followup to the first two and I think every fan of the series should give it a shot.

About Bleach, I think it would have been better off going on hiatus after the end of the soul society arc after rukia is rescued. It was excellent up to that point, and godawful afterwards.

Those sales numbers are interesting, thanks for sharing them. I have no idea what that website is saying. :)
Are those numbers individual sales? I googled up that 'Genteiban' means 'Limited' so it makes a little bit of sense...
I guess those are the super expensive editions, does that website say what the sales are of the regular editions?
I guess it's not that bad because it hasn't been out as long, right? Or are the numbers referring to a fixed time period after release?
There's a 4 week graph in there but the axes don't make sense.

Elite
Oct 30, 2010
Well I watched the first 2 seasons of the anime then switched over to the manga because a) I didn't actually realize there was a third season and b) apparently it skips over a lot of stuff anyway.

Is there anything I'm missing out on treating it like that?

The_Frag_Man posted:

Halfway through the game you hit the "I can see the ending!" pop-up, which immediately lists the exact moves you need to make to achieve 100% completion regardless of how badly you've screwed up with your current position.

The Evil Thing
Jul 3, 2010
Since we're on the subject of subversive visual novels, in something of a funny coincidence, the creator of Hate Plus is working on a new game with a title that can only be a parody of those idiotic light novel titles we see so much. It even has the stereotypical anime double exclamation point. :allears:

The point seems to be that the game will acknowledge that you're really just manipulating people by gaming affection points.

If you think about it, part of Keima's growth as a character is developing the empathy to realise and care that what he's doing is wrong.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

The Evil Thing posted:

If you think about it, part of Keima's growth as a character is developing the empathy to realise and care that what he's doing is wrong.

And that's why Chihiro is the best girl, because she is the one who made that fact really hit Keima.

Sidesaddle Cavalry
Mar 15, 2013

Oh Boy Desert Map
Most of the other capture targets in the series had a theme related to stuff the target liked or didn't like.

Chihiro's theme is "Honey Chihiro doesn't give a poo poo".

Zogundar
Dec 5, 2007
oops, many :words: incoming

The_Frag_Man posted:

There was definitely cut content, but I think it was unavoidable. I don't know about four seasons worth of material, I do think it would have fit better over two seasons though. I think it would have been better to get a season setting up the goddess arc with tsukiyo, yui and akari captures and it's too bad that didn't happen. Personally I don't mind fiore being cut, I actually keep forgetting who that is. I still think the third season is an excellent followup to the first two and I think every fan of the series should give it a shot.
Based on chapter counts, they managed 24 episodes from something like 40-ish chapters, and the skipped material alone was over double that. Then the Goddess arc was around three times as long as the chapters from the first two seasons. Now while I'll admit that (In my opinion) the first two openings were nothing special in song or video, I like me my anime openings. I can't help but feel almost cheated out of a good seven or eight of them, which is yet another sore spot.
(And while I'm going over personal point losses, I was really disappointed at the cast list - no Rie Kugimiya for Tsukiyo? OH COME ON-)

Since they were already skipping things, they could have just pulled an UBW Movie and given the finger to anyone who hadn't already read the manga (As opposed to giving the finger to everyone period.) It still would have been bad, just for different reasons. But at least then it wouldn't have had to eliminate characters (And I liked Fiore, dammit.) It also doesn't come across as an earnest effort to rekindle interest in the show for a wider audience, so why cater to them? If they wanted a cheap cash grab with existing fans in mind, this was clearly not the way to go about it.

Based on some posts I've seen, people who didn't read the manga were lost and confused when it started. I haven't heard of anyone who got into TWGOK from this season either.

And what if it HAD been wildly successful? The Goddess arc was obviously The Arc. Yes, in particular a -lot- of people wanted to see Yui's arc, but the Goddess arc I think is _generally_ considered the most popular part of the manga so far. But having just "finished" it, would they have re-animated it in its entirety? That's what really burns me. If they greenlit three new seasons for the skipped arcs tomorrow there still would probably never be a properly done anime adaptation of the Goddess arc (And then the anime would have to prematurely go on hold once those episodes finished because the current arc isn't far enough along to do much with and they already squandered the wealth of material they would have otherwise had.) :doh:

quote:

About Bleach, I think it would have been better off going on hiatus after the end of the soul society arc after rukia is rescued. It was excellent up to that point, and godawful afterwards.
That's a whole 'nother :can:, and really you can replace Bleach with any filler laden show and still make my point.

quote:

Those sales numbers are interesting, thanks for sharing them. I have no idea what that website is saying. :)
Are those numbers individual sales? I googled up that 'Genteiban' means 'Limited' so it makes a little bit of sense...
It calls them "points," but I think those are individual sales, yeah.

quote:

I guess those are the super expensive editions, does that website say what the sales are of the regular editions?
It does, but as I said, the ones that sell the most copies by far are the super expensive editions. I've yet to see an exception to this. The DVD sales are in the hundreds for all seasons, with the regular Blu-rays not being a popular choice at all when there's a Cool Kid's Version available. They largely follow the same pattern of sales as the Genteiban with the exception of the poor man's Blu-ray, where Season 3 outsold Season 2 by three copies, 118 to 115. Season 3 is also the only season with a Genteiban for the DVD version, which has sold better than either regular Blu-ray or DVD (I'm not sure how many of these are extra sales vs. siphoned off of one of the other versions.)

Because I apparently have nothing better to do I made a spreadsheet of all six routes (Not counting any compilation box set sales.)

nerd info

Not included is the predicted numbers (They're not appreciably higher.) I don't see that 13k jumping past 15k with only two discs left

These sale numbers are even more sad in retrospect. Some people complained that the first two seasons were too "slow," that they didn't get to the good parts and that's why the show failed. Yet the "slow" (But well done!) parts still managed to heftily outsell the third season that covered the "exciting" parts. This just reinforces my belief that this should have been done right or not at all.

quote:

I guess it's not that bad because it hasn't been out as long, right? Or are the numbers referring to a fixed time period after release?
There's a 4 week graph in there but the axes don't make sense.
My Japanese skills are quite lacking, but I think the points number does indeed refer to a fixed time period (If you look they have the same number twice, the second one says something like "Final/Closing Accumulated Point Estimate" with a "Remaining Number of Days" counter, so I guess it's possible that the day after the counter expired everyone bought another 10,000 copies.. but probably not likely.)

For some reason later volumes seem to outsell the first one (I guess that's people skipping to their favorite episodes??) and not just with this show. The disparities between the first two seasons only get uglier once you start comparing those too (Ouch @ Route 4.0 Season 1 Vs. 3.)

And I'll close with one other tidbit to make you shake your fist at the world (Though no one around here seems to know anything about it, so take it with a grain of salt.) According to a friend of mine, supposedly part of the reason for the show's failure is because of brand loyalty, or disloyalty in this case. Apparently in Japan having console-war like brand loyalty for anime companies is a Thing that people do. So the show being released by Manglobe is kind of like nerds refusing to buy a game because it's only on the rival system. How something like that can come about without the whole "Needing a completely different brand of equipment to play discs" is probably beyond the understanding of a simple gaijin though.

Zogundar fucked around with this message at 00:59 on Jan 7, 2014

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.
First two seasons were just bad. Maybe watchable, but nothing special. They systematically took out everything good about the manga in various small ways like poor music choice and comedic timing. It's really no surprise that they did poorly: their sales are pretty much exactly what they deserved.

The third season cut out a bunch of stuff, but honestly most of what they cut was a good choice in order to preserve the one thing they did well: which was put all the focus on the dramatic and compelling Chihiro sub-plot. People who were "meh" on the first two seasons absolutely loved the third because it finally did something right (they do comedy wrong). They cut out Fiore because she was a minor character who ultimately served no purpose whatsoever. If that's your complaint then you're being nothing but a manga purist who wants everything exactly the same as the manga, despite the fact that blindly following the manga with poor direction and pacing is what made the first two series fail in the first place.

The third season was hardly perfect (and cutting out Fiore left a small plot hole that would have been simple to fill, except they didn't bother), but its failings can probably be attributed to being the third sequel of something, meaning less people are willing to give it a chance. Not because they skipped your personal favorite scene or whatever.

The_Frag_Man
Mar 26, 2005

Zogundar posted:

Now while I'll admit that (In my opinion) the first two openings were nothing special in song or video, I like me my anime openings.

What really? I thought they were really good. I still listen to them. :allears:
Thanks for providing analysis of the sales numbers, I appreciate it.
Is it possible that the sales aren't that bad, considering that apparently Manglobe are the Wii U of anime studios?
Maybe for them, the numbers are acceptable. Well.. I might be grasping at straws here..

Clarste posted:

First two seasons were just bad. Maybe watchable, but nothing special. They systematically took out everything good about the manga in various small ways like poor music choice and comedic timing. It's really no surprise that they did poorly: their sales are pretty much exactly what they deserved.

I really liked the first two seasons. :shobon:

Clarste posted:

The third season cut out a bunch of stuff, but honestly most of what they cut was a good choice in order to preserve the one thing they did well: which was put all the focus on the dramatic and compelling Chihiro sub-plot.

You are exactly right, I think this hits the nail on the head. The cut content and stuff is unfortunate but the season is still excellent, in a large part because of this.
Zogundar, I guess this is why we disagree on the third season. It's not like I disagree with your complaints about it, but the season is still worth it overall in part because of how it handles this part of the story, like the best episode is the last episode so if you really gave up after the first episode I guess I understand why you don't like it...
As I said earlier, I myself was put off of the third season, for basically the same reasons as you. I eventually gave it a shot and I was so impressed by the ending that I recommended everyone watch it. Buddy, you obviously like this series a lot. I guess I would recommend coming back to the third season one day and giving it another shot.

chumbler posted:

And that's why Chihiro is the best girl, because she is the one who made that fact really hit Keima.

Chihiro is the best girl. :smith:

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
Chapter 256

Oh noooooooo :ohdear:

The_Frag_Man
Mar 26, 2005

Nate RFB posted:

Oh noooooooo :ohdear:

Feels like someone is going to die soon. :unsmigghh:

Alpha Kenny Juan
Apr 11, 2007

The_Frag_Man posted:

Feels like someone is going to die soon. :unsmigghh:

They kept talking about death flags, and that in itself is a death flag. :ohdear:

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich
gently caress you Lune :argh:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Quixzlizx
Jan 7, 2007
Don't worry Yui, there's nothing wrong with that.

• Locked thread