Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010

ApplesandOranges posted:

I think Frederick's one another advantage is he is the earliest possible access to Wyvern Rider? You don't get a natural one otherwise til Cherche and the first other character that doesn't mind switching to it early on is... Panne or Nowi, probably.

Frederick's other-other advantage is the early game is nearly impossible without him above hard. :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

It's significantly harder if you make him a Wyvern Rider, though. He doesn't really get anything out of it, anyway.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Underdog is a great skill and by the time Donnel reaches level 10 he's usually strong enough that being a Villager for five more levels is not a pain in the rear end. Underdog and Aptitude are both good choices for him to pass down, and if he has a daughter, she gets access to some rare classes.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
Underdog is terrible in practice. Donny levels way too fast and maxes out his stats for that skill to remotely matter even on Lunatic.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Underdog is great if you often change classes, which, of course, you should.

net cafe scandal
Mar 18, 2011

So after promoting at 20, when's a good time to start thinking about reclassing?

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Promoted units learn skills at levels 5 and 15. For most classes, the level 15 skill is the most powerful one. The question of when to reclass depends on which skills you want that character to have.

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:

Bongo Bill posted:

Yeah but why bother passing it down? It's not like you really NEED that extra 15 avoid/hit.

Argent Cinereus
Feb 25, 2013
I'd say either level 10 or 15. At 10 or over you can second seal to another promoted class and 15's the point you get the promoted class second skill.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Bongo Bill posted:

If you often change classes you will have access to a wide variety of better skills.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Underdog wouldn't be great even if it was an always-on +15 hit/avoid. The fact that it's conditional just makes it even worse.

If you can stomach 5 more levels of Villager Donny it's worth sticking around for but its in no way worth passing down to the kids.

net cafe scandal
Mar 18, 2011

Cool, thanks. Is it possible or ideal to reclass more than once?

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Yes, and yes, since reclassing lets you keep all the skills you gained, though keep in mind your EXP gains will slow down as you reclass more and more. I'd recommend sticking to one or two reclasses per character for the main game and only doing more than that if you wanna do the super-hard DLC.

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

if you reclass a guy at level 15 whatever, and then later reclass them back to that class are they level 15 in that class again or do they start over at 1?

1st Stage Midboss
Oct 29, 2011

They start over at 1, but keep all the skills and stats and everything so there's no downside (except having to level them back up to reclass again).

ungulateman
Apr 18, 2012

pretentious fuckwit who isn't half as literate or insightful or clever as he thinks he is
My Say'ri!Morgan capped every stat except Magic and Res before hitting 20 in Myrmidon. :allears:

On the other hand, I'm disappointed that they didn't give more incentive to ~waifu~ the women who don't produce a child already. The only ones who are worth it are Aversa (because Shadowgift Morgan is the epitome of :shepface:) and maybe Tiki if your convictions outweigh your eugenics (so you don't marry Nowi). Maybe give Say'ri a special Astra+ that does full damage on each attack or something???

Then Anna could get Locktouch+ (steal enemy items), Yen'fay could also get Astra+, Tiki could get a special Wyrmsbane that negates Dragonskin, that sort of thing. I dunno, maybe I am thinking way too hard about how to intensively breed pixels together.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
Anna being the least embarrassing confession scene is a pretty decent consolation, IMO.

Folt The Bolt
Feb 21, 2012

Nothing exciting to see here. Move along.

Geostomp posted:

If nothing else, Donnel works out great as a father. He passes on some great stats and Armsthrift to one of the kids.

Edit: My bad, I forgot that ability is Mercenary, not Villager.

This I will give him. I find he's a great father (and maybe the best) for three of the mothers (due to class conversions), and nothing else.

Last Celebration posted:

Anna being the least embarrassing confession scene is a pretty decent consolation, IMO.

This is true.

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Ready to Poyozo Dance all over your face.

ungulateman posted:

The only ones who are worth it are Aversa (because Shadowgift Morgan is the epitome of :shepface:) and maybe Tiki if your convictions outweigh your eugenics (so you don't marry Nowi).

People always go on about how marrying Nowi is creepy, but it strikes me as odd that nobody ever seems to feel the same way about Nah when marrying her is even creepier.

ungulateman
Apr 18, 2012

pretentious fuckwit who isn't half as literate or insightful or clever as he thinks he is
Nah isn't dressed like a stripper and at least has the pretense of trying to act mature even if she isn't. Let's just chalk it up to "it's Japan" along with all the incest and homophobia.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

W.T. Fits posted:

People always go on about how marrying Nowi is creepy, but it strikes me as odd that nobody ever seems to feel the same way about Nah when marrying her is even creepier.
Nah is the same age as the other kids and looks about the same age as them, she's just short.

Serifina
Oct 30, 2011

So... dizzy...

Endorph posted:

Nah is the same age as the other kids and looks about the same age as them, she's just short.

And Nowi's like a thousand years old. If anything, Nah would likely be the creepier choice - how quickly do Manaketes mature, anyway?

(My point is actually that it's pretty dumb to freak out about either, at this point.)

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010

ungulateman posted:

Nah isn't dressed like a stripper and at least has the pretense of trying to act mature even if she isn't. Let's just chalk it up to "it's Japan" along with all the incest and homophobia.

I don't think there's overmuch homophobia in FE:A. I mean you can't have gay couples but gay couples would sort of nullify having kids.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Anatharon posted:

I don't think there's overmuch homophobia in FE:A. I mean you can't have gay couples but gay couples would sort of nullify having kids.
Adoption would be super easy to handwave. I mean it's a nintendo game and therefore basically the last place I'd expect massive progress in terms of homosexual representation but they could have done it if they wanted to.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
Homophobia, what the gently caress? Is every piece of media homophobic just because they don't mention gays?

Color Printer
May 9, 2011

You get used to it. I don't
even see the code. All I see
is Ipecac, Scapular, Polyphemus...

I know (if I remember right, anyway) there were some comments in the Japanese version of the Hubba Tester but that's it really.

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010

Tae posted:

Homophobia, what the gently caress? Is every piece of media homophobic just because they don't mention gays?

While I do highly disagree with Ungulateman's stance, I actually assumed that might be the implication of "or life partner" until I found out it was to handwave Lucina/Morgana S-ranks with their sibling.

Color Printer posted:

I know (if I remember right, anyway) there were some comments in the Japanese version of the Hubba Tester but that's it really.

I'm not sure what you're referring to but there's DLC conversations that go in that direction too. (Maybe, depending on what you mean)

CandyCrazy
Oct 20, 2012

They crack some jokes with the evil twins from the paralogues, admittedly.

They also joke about Frederick's obsessive devotion to Chrom, but I get the feeling Chrom would act similarly even if it was a woman doing it.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

Serifina posted:

And Nowi's like a thousand years old. If anything, Nah would likely be the creepier choice - how quickly do Manaketes mature, anyway?

(My point is actually that it's pretty dumb to freak out about either, at this point.)

I don't think there's anything much to be said about either of them at this point. The topic of what marriage is the creepiest has been beaten to death. Though I kind of wanted to see Nah's S support once just because her C-A support with the avatar is incredibly lame and feels like one of the ones where you only get the full story with the S.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Color Printer posted:

Those comments are there in the English version too.

Tae posted:

I wouldn't outright call it 'homophobic', but past FE games have had definitively gay characters, or heavily implied ones - Heather from FE10, for instance - and even Awakening itself has some comments in that direction, so it feels a little odd that they just didn't go the whole way with it.

It's not homophobic for *not* going all the way, but at the same time somebody can't be blamed for wishing they had included it, especially when the avatar is ostensibly a self-insert.

Also 'gays' makes you sound like a grandpa. :v:

Endorph fucked around with this message at 05:26 on Jan 4, 2014

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

They probably did it so you couldn't accidentally screw yourself out of getting the second generation.

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010

Manatee Cannon posted:

They probably did it so you couldn't accidentally screw yourself out of getting the second generation.

Also, adoption would require what, twice as many dialogue lines?

Actually that's probably the biggest reason. Say Henry could shack up with any dude. That's over 34 more supports for him alone.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Anatharon posted:

Also, adoption would require what, twice as many dialogue lines?

Actually that's probably the biggest reason. Say Henry could shack up with any dude. That's over 34 more supports for him alone.
I don't think that's what they should have done. As an example, since I mentioned Heather, let's say she was in this game - obviously not everyone's gay or bi, so make her S support list limited the way, say, Sumia's is. Mechanically she'd function like the male parents, having no actual influence on what kids are 'made,' and ergo you wouldn't be able to screw yourself out of kids. Ta-da. That's only four or five more supports worth of work (not counting the non-romantic supports she'd have but that's overthinking this hypothetical example)

And you wouldn't have to change every single line for adoption - it's not as if every line of the kids is AND THEN MY BIOLOGICAL MOTHER, YOU, CARRIED ME FOR A PERIOD OF TIME WITHIN HER WOMB. You could change a few lines here or there and it'd work just fine. And that's just one way of doing it, I can think of about twelve others. Yarne, Nah, and Lucina wouldn't work with this angle, for obvious reasons, but like I said having gay characters doesn't equal every character in the game being biowaresexual.

I can completely understand *why* this didn't happen, but let's not act like their hands were tied. If they felt like doing it, they easily could have.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Adoption wouldn't work because then they don't inherit anything and that's the whole point. They could have altered Tiki and Say'ri's support a little but they're the only example I can think of that would work without breaking something. It's kind of lame that the option isn't there but there's no gameplay benefit from doing so while there are serious issues that would be introduced along with the option. Nobody but the developers themselves can say why and our little pet theories are probably all wrong to some degree. This is about on par with arguing about Nowi.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Why couldn't they inherit stats and skills? They're not biologically related, but it's not like sword skills or the ability to pick locks are genetic traits. They'd still be their parents, and ergo the inherited stats/skills could be handwaved as being trained by their parents.

Dred Cosmonaut
Jan 6, 2010

There once was a tiger-striped cat.
They wouldnt inherit hair color, which we all know is the most important thing to pass down

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Dred Cosmonaut posted:

They wouldnt inherit hair color, which we all know is the most important thing to pass down
Make the hair color random, a glorious roulette every playthrough. :getin:

Speaking of hair color, PSA: Never pair Virion and Lissa unless you hate your eyes.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

Endorph posted:

Make the hair color random, a glorious roulette every playthrough. :getin:

Speaking of hair color, PSA: Never pair Virion and Lissa unless you hate your eyes.

That was actually my first Owain and I liked the colour. :v:

Now Virion and Tharja, that's pretty ugly.

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

Virion and Olivia works fantastic for hair color, not to mention they're really cute together which is also an important factor.

This game really brings out the 14 year old teenage girl in me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010

Terper posted:

Virion and Olivia works fantastic for hair color, not to mention they're really cute together which is also an important factor.

This game really brings out the 14 year old teenage girl in me.

I have no shame in admitting I like cute things.

:nyoron:

Endorph posted:

I can completely understand *why* this didn't happen, but let's not act like their hands were tied. If they felt like doing it, they easily could have.

Not that I'm against it (in fact I'd be happy to find out it was a feature in Fire Emblem 14) but considering they had to cut feet, I dunno.

• Locked thread