Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:

Dark_Tzitzimine posted:

I found Sonic Heroes enjoyable and since I took the different teams like being different difficulties I didn't had that much of a problem. The special stages were utter bullshit though, I never gathered all the emeralds.
I enjoyed the game as well, I'm not sure I'd say I liked it, it had some problems in it's level design (bingo highway, I'm looking at you), but other levels were really good (Hang castle, final fortress).

The Special stages were their own particular brand of bullshit though. First, only the second stage in each two stage pairing counted for the chaos emerald, the first stage only got you a one up or something. Second, each emerald was tied to a specific stage, so you couldn't vary them up, were you missing emerald #3? Hope you enjoy running bingo highway till the end of time. Also: the stages themselves were buggy as hell. I got very close to getting the last emerald I needed a few times, but my character kept glitching out into the floor of the special stage tube and would start running in reverse very slowly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.

Kurieg posted:

I enjoyed the game as well, I'm not sure I'd say I liked it, it had some problems in it's level design (bingo highway, I'm looking at you), but other levels were really good (Hang castle, final fortress).

The Special stages were their own particular brand of bullshit though. First, only the second stage in each two stage pairing counted for the chaos emerald, the first stage only got you a one up or something. Second, each emerald was tied to a specific stage, so you couldn't vary them up, were you missing emerald #3? Hope you enjoy running bingo highway till the end of time. Also: the stages themselves were buggy as hell. I got very close to getting the last emerald I needed a few times, but my character kept glitching out into the floor of the special stage tube and would start running in reverse very slowly.

gently caress those special stages.

You know which game had the best special stages? Saints Row IV.

Um... I mean Sonic Rush. Those were pretty cool.

sudonim
Oct 6, 2005

Fedule posted:

The special stages in Sonic Rush had some :krad: music, too. Except for being pre-compressed for the DS.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xX_2YGa9zcI

I think the same guy that did music for Jet Set Radio was the one who did Sonic Rush?

edit: You don't stop you pro-ceed cuz this is WHAT U NEED
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yIe2UmDKp8A

sudonim fucked around with this message at 20:53 on Jan 4, 2014

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:

Fedule posted:

gently caress those special stages.

You could also cheese them by pausing, moving your stylus, and unpausing
:ssh:

Gensuki
Sep 2, 2011

Squallege posted:

Also Tails wasn't voiced by a small boy they found in a Walmart parking lot.

This was literally my only problem with Sonic Heroes.

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

Davinci posted:

I get the impression that the biggest reason for the backlash was because most people wanted and expected Sonic Heroes to be a Sonic Adventure 3 when it wasn't.

Everyone who wished Sonic Adventure 2 was just hedgehog stages eventually got an answer.

I liked it okay. :shobon:

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Sonic Rush is the only video game to sample a Malcolm X speech for its BGM.

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich

sudonim posted:

The special stages in Sonic Rush had some :krad: music, too. Except for being pre-compressed for the DS.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xX_2YGa9zcI

I think the same guy that did music for Jet Set Radio was the one who did Sonic Rush?

edit: You don't stop you pro-ceed cuz this is WHAT U NEED
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yIe2UmDKp8A

My favorite take on the Special Stages is Sonic Advance 2, it was really satisfying to blaze through the level doing cool poo poo with Sonic while you picked the Red Rings and then you could double or triple the amount required for the emerald if you were that good :smug:

Opposing Farce
Apr 1, 2010

Ever since our drop-off service, I never read a book.
There's always something else around, plus I owe the library nineteen bucks.

sudonim posted:

Yeah, Hideki Naganuma was behind the music for both. He's loving great and I have no idea what he's doing now but it doesn't seem like Sega's had him working on any games for a while which is one of the most egregious wastes of an asset I've ever seen.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!

Squallege posted:

Also Tails wasn't voiced by a small boy they found in a Walmart parking lot.

But Tails has the same voice actor in the Adventure games that he does in Heroes...

Mennonites Revenge
Feb 13, 2012

Lack of electricity... is my destiny...

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

But Tails has the same voice actor in the Adventure games that he does in Heroes...

Not in English.

Astro Nut
Feb 22, 2013

Nonsensical Space Powers, Activate! Form of Friendship!
...Man, I get Tails is (sometimes) meant to be eight years old, but getting an actual eight year old to do the voice work? :stare:

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

Endorph posted:

Sonic Rush is the only video game to sample a Malcolm X speech for its BGM.

Say whaaaa? I legit love the Rush soundtrack. I just wish I wasn't so godawful at the game itself. I still don't think I ever beat it and the only reason I know the ending is because I watched Lyrax's LP of it.

Oh, quick question. The general consensus seems to be that people really want me to add Cream and Eggman to the team next update, so the only thing important is who's our 4th team member? Or if you don't want Cream and/or Eggman, who's the team going to be next update? Remember your choices are Tails, Knuckles, Amy, Rouge, Cream, Big, and Eggman. Pick 3.

Okay, go back to discussing other games. I'm not being sarcastic, I totally don't mind talking about other Sonic games.

TwoPair fucked around with this message at 02:44 on Jan 5, 2014

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.

TwoPair posted:

Say whaaaa?

Too black, too strong.

Dr. Buttass
Aug 12, 2013

AWFUL SOMETHING
Give us Cream, Eggman, and the Fighting Freak, Knuckles.

Astro Nut posted:

...Man, I get Tails is (sometimes) meant to be eight years old, but getting an actual eight year old to do the voice work? :stare:

I don't get this weird age-down thing they did with some of the characters. Tails used to be like fourteen or something, and Charmy was, what, sixteen? Now they're eight and six respectively.

First off I think it's a little strange that Sonic has enough in common with a kid half his age to spend so much time hanging out with him. But what really baffles me is Charmy. Isn't Vector like twenty? There's definitely not enough in common there. Are Charmy's parents negligent and Team Chaotix is really just Espio and Vector, but they're paid to babysit Charmy 24/7 while they do their other jobs? Does Charmy just hang around unbidden, and they've learned to exploit his talents for their own gain since they can't get rid of him? Are Vector and Espio his adopted gay dads, making them the negligent parents since they drag him along on dangerous criminal investigations? Is the Obvious Joke the Actual Answer?

These are the important questions.

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

Eggman Cream and Rouge so that the team isn't so completely broken.

As for Charmy being six, I bet if a bee has survived 6 years it can count itself as old.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Really? Huh. I thought the cast was the same for the Adventure and Heroes games. My mistake.

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

Let's Play Sonic's Angels!

Amy, Rouge and Cream.

Astro Nut
Feb 22, 2013

Nonsensical Space Powers, Activate! Form of Friendship!
I think the issue is that Sonic and his friends have gotten clearly older visually over time, but Sega has applied their ages retroactively and across the board, rather than try to create some kind of vague timeline. For Sonic, Tails and Amy, you can see the visual development by comparing their current designs, to the anime stuff for both Sonic CD and the two OVAs/film. Sonic acts and behaves as a hotshot teenager, playing up the cool and edgy attitude that was supposed to make him stand out from Mario in the 90s. Tails is deliberately played like a child who often needs Sonic's help, but also rambunctious and, once he gets going, still helps Sonic out. Amy is clearly designed like a pre-pubescent schoolgirl, reflecting her crush on Sonic. Since then, Sonic has clearly had a growth spurt, which Tails has kept up with. Amy has some vague semblance of a teenager's fashion sense, or at least is way more confident about how she looks.

Hell, compare one of the few examples where age is outright stated - Knuckles. 15 in Sonic III, 18 by Sonic Heroes, according to each game's manual. So three years has passed, right?

Nope, he's 16 now.

I suspect its a result of the fact we live in the internet era really. Even a decade ago, not enough people would've been savvy enough to really vocalise the vague-ness of age in the Sonic universe, but now Sega has official forums and the fans have enough influence to arrange their own freaking convention. And unlike say, the Simpsons where age doesn't matter because everyone has a design that now stays the same, Sonic and the others clearly have changed. So I guess Sega attempted to answer things by giving 'official' answers, but didn't really think them through.

Gensuki
Sep 2, 2011

Do you really want to get into Sonic canon? Because we can take this out behind the Wal-Mart. :colbert:

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

Really? Huh. I thought the cast was the same for the Adventure and Heroes games. My mistake.

You probably blacked out how terrible his voice was. Do not feel obligated to go back and listen to it again.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Gensuki posted:

You probably blacked out how terrible his voice was. Do not feel obligated to go back and listen to it again.

Against my better judgment, I went and looked it up to see if it really was different and there is a noticeable difference between the voices in SA1, SA2, and Heroes.

On the other hand, that Heroes voice was so bad that I actually had eardrum pain for a moment.

I'm serious. That's not a joke. :smith:

Dr. Buttass
Aug 12, 2013

AWFUL SOMETHING

Gensuki posted:

Do you really want to get into Sonic canon? Because we can take this out behind the Wal-Mart. :colbert:

Yeah let's do this, son. School's in session and the teacher is not nearly as hot as I hoped.

(tell me it's the irresponsible gay dads one. Just tell me it's the irresponsible gay dads one)

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

TwoPair posted:

Say whaaaa? I legit love the Rush soundtrack. I just wish I wasn't so godawful at the game itself. I still don't think I ever beat it and the only reason I know the ending is because I watched Lyrax's LP of it.
http://www.whosampled.com/sample/38118/Hideki-Naganuma-Wrapped-in-Black-Malcolm-X-Fire-%26-Fury-Grass-Roots-Speech-%28Side-Two%29/

XaviortheSavior
Nov 21, 2011
For those talking about Tails' Heroes voice actor, I have a bit of trivia that may make things clearer:
The voice director of that game voiced Espio.
His wife voiced Cream.
Their son voiced Tails.

For the party member vote count, I don't see Big listed on there. Either because you forgot about him (which, let's be honest, isn't that hard) or he isn't eligible for the next part, which if that's true, I'm gonna be sad.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

XaviortheSavior posted:

For those talking about Tails' Heroes voice actor, I have a bit of trivia that may make things clearer:
His wife voiced Cream.
Their son voiced Tails.

For the party member vote count, I don't see Big listed on there. Either because you forgot about him (which, let's be honest, isn't that hard) or he isn't eligible for the next part, which if that's true, I'm gonna be sad.

Oh yeah, just forgot to list him.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Astro Nut posted:

I think the issue is that Sonic and his friends have gotten clearly older visually over time, but Sega has applied their ages retroactively and across the board, rather than try to create some kind of vague timeline.

Who gives a poo poo (aside from the one weirdo above). It's a game series about technicolor human-animals who stop egg-shaped scientists and eldritch gods. If you care about the story in any real capacity then you're dumb.

Microcline
Jul 27, 2012

Astro Nut posted:

I think the issue is that Sonic and his friends have gotten clearly older visually over time, but Sega has applied their ages retroactively and across the board, rather than try to create some kind of vague timeline. For Sonic, Tails and Amy, you can see the visual development by comparing their current designs, to the anime stuff for both Sonic CD and the two OVAs/film. Sonic acts and behaves as a hotshot teenager, playing up the cool and edgy attitude that was supposed to make him stand out from Mario in the 90s. Tails is deliberately played like a child who often needs Sonic's help, but also rambunctious and, once he gets going, still helps Sonic out. Amy is clearly designed like a pre-pubescent schoolgirl, reflecting her crush on Sonic. Since then, Sonic has clearly had a growth spurt, which Tails has kept up with. Amy has some vague semblance of a teenager's fashion sense, or at least is way more confident about how she looks.

Hell, compare one of the few examples where age is outright stated - Knuckles. 15 in Sonic III, 18 by Sonic Heroes, according to each game's manual. So three years has passed, right?

Nope, he's 16 now.

I suspect its a result of the fact we live in the internet era really. Even a decade ago, not enough people would've been savvy enough to really vocalise the vague-ness of age in the Sonic universe, but now Sega has official forums and the fans have enough influence to arrange their own freaking convention. And unlike say, the Simpsons where age doesn't matter because everyone has a design that now stays the same, Sonic and the others clearly have changed. So I guess Sega attempted to answer things by giving 'official' answers, but didn't really think them through.

The question to ask is not what Sonic's official age is, but why he needs an official age at all. Nothing good will ever come from cannon. Notice that Sonic's successful rival Mario has no "canon", and if you asked Nintendo about the "canon" for any game universe their response would probably be "gently caress you". Sonic started as a weird marriage of 90's 'tude marketing with a bunch gameplay mechanics that never quite fit together, and the reason no modern developer has been able to get it "right" is that it never was "right". Sega must experiment with each game, hoping to find a working formula before the brand dies, and the backstory is just one of these failed attempts.

Bioware's flailing is kind of a microcosm of this. They committed to creating a new entry from scratch with no previous DS experience while working on a DIMPS time frame. It's much easier for DIMPS, as they start with an idea of how the gameplay works ("like the Genesis games") and just need to implement that. They don't need to worry about other details because they know the Genesis gameplay mostly works.

In addition to implementing a new art style, story, battle system, world mechanics, etc, Bioware had to devise these and ensure that they actually produced good gameplay. Sure, Sonic has a lot of characters with defined abilities, but most of these characters are reviled and most of their abilities are dedicated to mobility in a 2D or 3D platformer. With their limited timeframe, Bioware had to get every aspect of the gameplay right on the first try. It's no wonder everything is tedious and lovely, and the music debacle is just the icing on the cake.

When there's a series as toxic as this one (everyone hates the characters, the gameplay mechanics need heavy revision, the brand is a joke, the fanbase are a bunch of creepy 30-year-olds who want to gently caress underage animals), you have to wonder if there's ever a point where execs will pick a fresh IP over a sequel.

\/\/\/ Like Bioware, my poor spellchecking is now immortalized forever

Microcline fucked around with this message at 03:09 on Jan 5, 2014

GeneralYeti
Jul 22, 2012

Look at this smug broken asshole.
Cream, Big, and Eggman. This seems like the best choice.

I kinda like Heroes, though that might be because I was a stupid kid back when I got it and it's managed to get by the nostalgia filter. It tried something different, and while it didn't entirely work out it was at least different.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Microcline posted:

Notice that Sonic's successful rival Mario has no "cannon"
?

XaviortheSavior
Nov 21, 2011

TwoPair posted:

Oh yeah, just forgot to list him.

In that case, put my vote down for Cream, Big, and Eggman.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.

Shadowesque posted:

I masochistically decided long ago that someday, SOMEDAY, I would play through every single iteration of story. All 326. I have a list printed out, and I mark them off as I go along. Every once in a blue moon, I get an urge, an itch, and I play it hardcore for a few days to a week just to get more in before not touching it for ages.

Oh hey, it's my LP idea. how far are you, by the way? How much time is on your save file? I hope you back it up regularly...

sudonim posted:

Yup. Hideki Naganuma. If you like his stuff, check out This repository of music similar to the soundtrack maintained by some massive fan, and this site where they've hacked the somewhat inferior sequel, jsrf.

Tobias Grant
May 16, 2009

Lucky for you, I'm a dog lover.
Voting for Big, Cream, and Amy. Time to reunite Team Amy! :black101:

Microcline posted:

if you asked Nintendo about the "canon" for any game universe their response would probably be "gently caress you".

I think you might be forgetting about this little book here...

Davinci
Feb 21, 2013

XaviortheSavior posted:

His wife voiced Cream.
Their son voiced Tails.

Wrong. Cream was voiced by Sarah Wulfeck, totally unrelated.

His daughter did voice Charmy though.

majormonotone
Jan 25, 2013

Cream, Eggman, Big. The best team (I'm not kidding, this is actually a ridiculously good lineup)

XaviortheSavior
Nov 21, 2011

Davinci posted:

Wrong. Cream was voiced by Sarah Wulfeck, totally unrelated.

His daughter did voice Charmy though.

Oh, that must've been what I was thinking of. My apologies.

Microcline
Jul 27, 2012

Tobias Grant posted:

Voting for Big, Cream, and Amy. Time to reunite Team Amy! :black101:

I think you might be forgetting about this little book here...

I stand corrected. Up until 2011 I though "loving over the timeline spergs" was one of their main corporate tenets.

Also, voting for Eggman, Rouge, and Nipples the Enchilada. I hope the story/twist is as much of a trainwreck as everyone is implying.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

There were/are lots of Fire Emblem guide books, too. I seriously doubt they're that dedicated to 'lol gently caress spergs.' They don't pay much attention to a concentrated story with Mario, but with their more serious franchises they seem to.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.

Microcline posted:

The question to ask is not what Sonic's official age is, but why he needs an official age at all. Nothing good will ever come from cannon. Notice that Sonic's successful rival Mario has no "canon", and if you asked Nintendo about the "canon" for any game universe their response would probably be "gently caress you". Sonic started as a weird marriage of 90's 'tude marketing with a bunch gameplay mechanics that never quite fit together, and the reason no modern developer has been able to get it "right" is that it never was "right". Sega must experiment with each game, hoping to find a working formula before the brand dies, and the backstory is just one of these failed attempts.

Bioware's flailing is kind of a microcosm of this. They committed to creating a new entry from scratch with no previous DS experience while working on a DIMPS time frame. It's much easier for DIMPS, as they start with an idea of how the gameplay works ("like the Genesis games") and just need to implement that. They don't need to worry about other details because they know the Genesis gameplay mostly works.

In addition to implementing a new art style, story, battle system, world mechanics, etc, Bioware had to devise these and ensure that they actually produced good gameplay. Sure, Sonic has a lot of characters with defined abilities, but most of these characters are reviled and most of their abilities are dedicated to mobility in a 2D or 3D platformer. With their limited timeframe, Bioware had to get every aspect of the gameplay right on the first try. It's no wonder everything is tedious and lovely, and the music debacle is just the icing on the cake.

When there's a series as toxic as this one (everyone hates the characters, the gameplay mechanics need heavy revision, the brand is a joke, the fanbase are a bunch of creepy 30-year-olds who want to gently caress underage animals), you have to wonder if there's ever a point where execs will pick a fresh IP over a sequel.

Don't you think the position you've presented is a bit of an extreme one? I don't think everyone in the thread is a furry pedophile. Your post appears to imply that no game series could ever have quality writing or continuity- is that actually what you're trying to assert? Why exactly are you in the thread then?

MR. J
Nov 22, 2011

Chuck and Fuck

majormonotone posted:

Cream, Eggman, Big. The best team (I'm not kidding, this is actually a ridiculously good lineup)

Seconding this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ometeotl
Feb 13, 2012

It's MISSEL! Or SISSLE!
I confused myself...

majormonotone posted:

Yeah, sure, why not.

• Locked thread