Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

CURATOR OF ANIME posted:

What the hell is going on with this mess?

"'One World Trade Center' says it all. Nothing about America."

Did the previous World Trade Center have America in its name, and I missed it?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver
On one hand I am of the opinion that they should have just built replicas of the World Trade Center buildings instead of this dumb Freedom Tower. Maybe a foot taller each or something.

On the other hand why did I read that

zakharov
Nov 30, 2002

:kimchi: Tater Love :kimchi:

CURATOR OF ANIME posted:

Yes a giant cross makes the most sense in in the most diverse city in the country.

Taciturn Tactician
Jan 27, 2011

The secret to good health is a balanced diet and unstable healing radiation
Lipstick Apathy
"We shouldn't be appeasing these people, we should be proud and say 'gently caress you' to anyone who doesn't like it, and also this generation is too vain and arrogant." What the gently caress Muir? Normally you wait until a couple comics later to blatantly contradict yourself.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

prefect posted:

A different generation, man. This is a memorial. BBQ. Hubris.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
I know the "if global warming then why snow" cartoons always come but they still make me want to claw my eyes out.

prefect posted:

To be fair, the warning labels on CFL packaging can be a little frightening if you actually read them. I remember one of them saying that you had to open all the windows in your house if you broke a bulb, so the mercury vapors could air out.

I believe if you break a CFL bulb in a confined space like a bedroom you're advised to open up the windows to let the room air out for a bit. That said, there are a bunch of things in everyone's house that can be hazardous when they break or malfunction so panicking over a broken light bulb has always been dumb.

Internet Kraken fucked around with this message at 01:26 on Jan 5, 2014

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.

Internet Kraken posted:

I know the "if global warming then why snow" cartoons always come bit they still make me want to claw my eyes out.

Maybe the most irritating thing about them is that the idiots that espouse the argument either don't accept or they just ignore the corollary: global warming must be true because summer is hot. :shepface:

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
Yeah, glue a bunch of massively protruding poo poo all over the building so when it gets destroyed / falls down due to lovely code it takes as much of New York with it as possible.

Also "I would build something twice as large in half the time." - You can't even fix you goddamn leaking roof you worthless sack of poo poo.

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

prefect posted:

No. The rebuilt WTC will have 7 buildings with names such as Two World Trade Center, Three World Trade, and so just like the original WTC complex did.

CrushedB
Jun 2, 2008

RyokoTK posted:

Pee pee doo doo he is a bad dictator. What is the point of this comic? Everyone knows Kim Jong Un is a bad man.

There was a recent claim in a Chinese newspaper that he executed his uncle and other suspected dissidents by sticking them in a cage with starving dogs so they'd be eaten alive.

Ammat The Ankh
Sep 7, 2010

Now, attempt to defeat me!
And I shall become a living legend!

My opinion of every Day by Day.

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 206 days!

Stultus Maximus posted:

A different generation, man. This is a memorial. BBQ. Hubris.

"Hubris," said the man who portrays himself as an infallibly correct elite sniper with a supermodel wife.

CampingCarl
Apr 28, 2008

CURATOR OF ANIME posted:

You would have to be a massive narcissist to call reflecting pools narcissistic and a massive idiot to think the 'me' generation would have anything to do with them anyway. But go on saying America is too narcissistic while insisting that everything should about America.

Bender
May 12, 2001

Fun Shoe
Haha just look at the scale of that loving building. That's something a kindergartner would think up.

Von Sloneker
Jul 6, 2009

as if all this was something more
than another footnote on a postcard from nowhere,
another chapter in the handbook for exercises in futility
Two cruciform skyscrapers teetering over a "BBQ pork pit" is without question the most hilariously demented and grotesque thing I could imagine as a 9-11 memorial. I was about to ask how this man functions in the real world but I'm guessing he doesn't.

The specificity of "pork" was intentional, right? I think I might be veering off into madness from that first image so it's hard to say.

FishBulb
Mar 29, 2003

Marge, I'd like to be alone with the sandwich for a moment.

Are you going to eat it?

...yes...
Yeah it's intentional obviously.

change my name
Aug 27, 2007

Legends die but anime is forever.

RIP The Lost Otakus.

Also the name "one world" implies, you know, going beyond identity and self-aggrandizing, uniting for the common good. Where is he even getting this "me generation" stuff from?

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

change my name posted:

Also the name "one world" implies, you know, going beyond identity and self-aggrandizing, uniting for the common good. Where is he even getting this "me generation" stuff from?

Also, Muir seems to forget that the "me generation" term was invented to describe Baby Boomers.

LashLightning
Feb 20, 2010

You know you didn't have to go post that, right?
But it's fine, I guess...

You just keep being you!

change my name posted:

Where is he even getting this "me generation" stuff from?

Whatever tumor in his brain that's pressing against the rest of it, conjuring such beliefs and delusions - that's where he gets it from.

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
He's just regurgitating poo poo from some blog. Everything that isn't one of our favorite dumb storylines like roosevelts and poo poo is just basically stuff from a blog, barely re-written, and jammed into word bubbles

Bender
May 12, 2001

Fun Shoe
Is "apologeia" an actual word or did he Muir it up again?

Fuckt Tupp
Apr 19, 2007

Science
Muir won't be happy until the World Trade Center replacement is a giant cross with "gently caress Muslims" written across it in bright glowing letters and we shall call it The Obama Sucks And Veterans Rule Center For American Jesus.

Fuckt Tupp fucked around with this message at 02:20 on Jan 5, 2014

Krinkle
Feb 9, 2003

Ah do believe Ah've got the vapors...
Ah mean the farts

Bender posted:

Haha just look at the scale of that loving building. That's something a kindergartner would think up.

I remember like a year or two after 9/11 there was a CNN, possibly, online submission "what should we replace the towers with" and this very thing was submitted drawn like a child's scrawling of a giant gently caress-off crucifix along with the comment "Just a humble suggestion from the top of the world, Sweden! :)"

I don't think I'll ever forget that. I'll forget 9/11 before I forget that someone thought there was a top of the world and that it mattered who lived there, and imagining some poor shlub office workers at the far end of the arms shaking like an earthquake as they bobbed up and down and the wind shear stresses twisted the hallways. Someone would look out the window at the manhattan skyline bobbing like an ocean of concrete and steel and feel as if some mad titan had picked up his building and was shaking him ever closer to the window. Pens flying all out of his desk mug and onto the floor, his far side comics coming unpinned and the coffee machine never staying upright. Janice in the high heels falling over and Dramamine just not cutting it today. I can't get this theoretical office at the end of the arm out of my mind.

idonotlikepeas
May 29, 2010

This reasoning is possible for forums user idonotlikepeas!

Bender posted:

Is "apologeia" an actual word or did he Muir it up again?

I assume he meant "apologia". That doesn't mean a great big apology, though, it means an elaborate defense of a viewpoint, generally in writing.

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

A country where you can always get richer.
No, it's fine. You've just had your vocabulary expanded by Muir... savage.

Ammat The Ankh posted:

My opinion of every Day by Day.

I like how Zed is stroking the void beyond the panel boarders.

Fulchrum
Apr 16, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Stereotype posted:

Apparently hating the new WTC tower because it isn't a hilariously infeasible 3000ft tall cross is a new conservative thing.

Wait, so does this mean its actually open to tourists nowih? ave not been able to get a straight answer from this anywhere.

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!

Krinkle posted:

I remember like a year or two after 9/11 there was a CNN, possibly, online submission "what should we replace the towers with" and this very thing was submitted drawn like a child's scrawling of a giant gently caress-off crucifix along with the comment "Just a humble suggestion from the top of the world, Sweden! :)"

I don't think I'll ever forget that. I'll forget 9/11 before I forget that someone thought there was a top of the world and that it mattered who lived there, and imagining some poor shlub office workers at the far end of the arms shaking like an earthquake as they bobbed up and down and the wind shear stresses twisted the hallways. Someone would look out the window at the manhattan skyline bobbing like an ocean of concrete and steel and feel as if some mad titan had picked up his building and was shaking him ever closer to the window. Pens flying all out of his desk mug and onto the floor, his far side comics coming unpinned and the coffee machine never staying upright. Janice in the high heels falling over and Dramamine just not cutting it today. I can't get this theoretical office at the end of the arm out of my mind.

It sounds like something out of the grown-up version of Wayside School.

Horseshoe theory
Mar 7, 2005

FishBulb posted:

Yeah it's intentional obviously.

Good to see Muir hating on observant Jews. :v:

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

VitalSigns posted:

Never changes.

Thing is, despite Chaucer looking odd there are only four words in your entire quoted passage that aren't alternate spellings/pronunciations of words in use today and the major grammatical change is a different order for subjects, objects and nouns.

quote:

Whan that Aprill, with his shoures soote
The droghte of March hath perced to the roote
And bathed every veyne in swich licour,
Of which vertu engendred is the flour;
5 Whan Zephirus eek with his sweete breeth
Inspired hath in every holt and heeth
The tendre croppes, and the yonge sonne
Hath in the Ram his halfe cours yronne,
And smale foweles maken melodye,
10 That slepen al the nyght with open eye-
(So priketh hem Nature in hir corages);
Thanne longen folk to goon on pilgrimages
And palmeres for to seken straunge strondes
To ferne halwes, kowthe in sondry londes;
15 And specially from every shires ende
Of Engelond, to Caunterbury they wende,
The hooly blisful martir for to seke
That hem hath holpen, whan that they were seeke.

Transliterating gives:

When that April, with his showers sweet
The drought of March has pierced to the root
And bathed every vein in such liquor
Of which virtue engendered is the flower
When Zephyrus also with his sweet breath
Inspired has in every home and hearth
The tender crops, and the young son
Has in the Ram his half course run
And small fowls making melody
That sleep all the night with open eye
So pricks them Nature in their spirits
Then long (v.) folk to go on pilgrimages
And palmers for to seek strange strands
To foreign halls, known in sundry lands
And especially from every shire's end
Of England, to Canterbury they wend
The holy blissful martyr for to seek
That them has helped, when that they were sick.

majormonotone
Jan 25, 2013

Well we could use Beowulf but some fonts don't support thorn

Jurgan
May 8, 2007

Just pour it directly into your gaping mouth-hole you decadent slut

change my name posted:

Is it possible he's hinting at the term "one-world government" and diving into conspiracies about the UN coming for our freedoms? Is he going to start talking about the antichrist soon?

Saint Sputnik
Apr 1, 2007

Tyrannosaurs in P-51 Volkswagens!

Oh please be the goddamn duck in there

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

I can't believe they're still talking about cfls when everyone knows it's all about the new generation of LED bulbs. Looking forward to that crop of cartoons.

:qq: Things which were disposable and wasteful when I was 12 have become durable and efficient :qq:

Decent crotchety old men would at least only complain about stuff getting cheap and lovely.

Warcabbit
Apr 26, 2008

Wedge Regret

Bender posted:

It really is amazing, man's tendency to go 'mine's bigger.'

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.

Warcabbit posted:

Final Fantasy's graphics are looking pretty drat good these days.

Zeno-25
Dec 5, 2009

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Warcabbit posted:

Ha it looks like something even bigger is going up on the other side. It will also have an even bigger clock because the first isn't big and tawdry enough.

Gen. Ripper
Jan 12, 2013

Warcabbit posted:

Is that Mecca?

Why the gently caress does the middle look like it got hit by a blizzard that inexplicably touched nothing else in the city?

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

Gen. Ripper posted:

Is that Mecca?

Why the gently caress does the middle look like it got hit by a blizzard that inexplicably touched nothing else in the city?

It's salt.

From god's tears.

rudecyrus
Nov 6, 2009

fuck you trolls

Gen. Ripper posted:

Is that Mecca?

That's a mosque.

I find it funny how the holiest site in Islam is going to be overshadowed by a giant gently caress-off clock tower.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.
Oh god, I totally didn't notice the Kaaba. Mecca is gonna look so odd.

• Locked thread