Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!
Speaking of blurry playfields when the gently caress are they going to fix the smeary-poo poo-covered-playfield issue when you turn on post-processing?

By fix I mean "re-fix" because they corrected it once then hosed it up again. :argh:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bovineicide
May 2, 2005

Eating your face since 1991.

King Vidiot posted:

Speaking of blurry playfields when the gently caress are they going to fix the smeary-poo poo-covered-playfield issue when you turn on post-processing?

By fix I mean "re-fix" because they corrected it once then hosed it up again. :argh:

I've always left post off because of how bad the lights on Black Hole look with it on :v:

I just want to know if they're going to fix the physics bugs. Just had a game of Black Knight where the ball clipped out of the table twice, and it repeatedly clipped through the flippers on both playfields. Maybe I'll try locking my framerate to 60 and see if that does it.

emgeejay
Dec 8, 2007

xarph posted:

Holy poo poo the possibilities are endless.

Play the DY NA MITE stinger music when you launch the ball from a trigger shaped like a ludicrously oversized revolver.

Pop bumper kung-fu noises.

If you hit the Fiendish Doctor Wu target with a ball locked, it releases it with a I THREW THAT BEFORE I WALKED IN THE ROOM bonus.

Magnet helicopter toy for a car chase ramp.

I would drop five grand on that table. Bonus cash if they make a non-censored limited edition.

Man, gently caress you for making me want this so badly :(

chesh
Apr 19, 2004

That was terrible.

Domus posted:

Also, these new companies are focused on the home market. They know folks will throw down 7.5k for a LE Stern, so 8 or 8.5 isn't much more to ask for LCD screens and innovation. Stern's got to balance operators and the home market. There's no chance in hell we'll make back 8k in a couple years even in the best of locations. But 4.5k? Yeah, that's do-able. And then you can sell the machine for a couple grand if you need to, and you're up overall.

Here in Pittsburgh, there are operators who still buy NIB machines and route them. Until last week there were 3 WOZ machines on route, by to different operators, but the light board issue on those is a nightmare so one of them just got swapped out with the new Premium Star Trek.

The problem is you need operators who are also pinheads, and that's apparently not normal everywhere else.

Domus
May 7, 2007

Kidney Buddies
Maybe it also has to do with how long operators have been around. It makes sense to plunk down a lot of money on an LE if you don't have 50 older games in the warehouse sitting unused. But if you have a perfectly good Getaway, World Cup Soccer, and Fishtales not on location, it kind of makes sense to put those out instead of spending the combined value of those machines on 1 other machine. We're into pins at my company, but we're operators first, and pinheads second, I guess.

Nurge
Feb 4, 2009

by Reene
Fun Shoe

Bovineicide posted:

I've always left post off because of how bad the lights on Black Hole look with it on :v:

I just want to know if they're going to fix the physics bugs. Just had a game of Black Knight where the ball clipped out of the table twice, and it repeatedly clipped through the flippers on both playfields. Maybe I'll try locking my framerate to 60 and see if that does it.

Black Knight is just terrible in general, it's been that way from the start. Shitloads of bugs etc. Their dev confirmed on the other forums that their ROM emulated version of that is ready to go though so it should be just a matter of when they decide to push an update for it out. That should fix at least some of the sillier problems.

Bovineicide
May 2, 2005

Eating your face since 1991.

Nurge posted:

Black Knight is just terrible in general, it's been that way from the start. Shitloads of bugs etc. Their dev confirmed on the other forums that their ROM emulated version of that is ready to go though so it should be just a matter of when they decide to push an update for it out. That should fix at least some of the sillier problems.

Is that supposed to fix balls clipping through the flippers in multiball? I've had that happen at least once on every table I have.

chesh posted:

Here in Pittsburgh, there are operators who still buy NIB machines and route them. Until last week there were 3 WOZ machines on route, by to different operators, but the light board issue on those is a nightmare so one of them just got swapped out with the new Premium Star Trek.

The problem is you need operators who are also pinheads, and that's apparently not normal everywhere else.

Holy poo poo, you're not kidding: http://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/early-woz-owners-if-you-had-it-to-do-over%E2%80%A6%E2%80%A6%E2%80%A6%E2%80%A6/page/2

"I can't escalate this problem any further, but I can have you contact the president of the company directly!"

Also take note the guy flipping out and treating WOZ like it's his kid or something. This board is amazing :allears:

Bovineicide fucked around with this message at 20:21 on Jan 2, 2014

Clouseau
Aug 3, 2003

My theories appall you, my heresies outrage you, I never answer letters, and you don't like my tie.

Bovineicide posted:

Holy poo poo, you're not kidding: http://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/early-woz-owners-if-you-had-it-to-do-over%E2%80%A6%E2%80%A6%E2%80%A6%E2%80%A6/page/2

"I can't escalate this problem any further, but I can have you contact the president of the company directly!"

Also take note the guy flipping out and treating WOZ like it's his kid or something. This board is amazing :allears:

Yeah, the light board issue is a massive problem with WOZ. The one routed WOZ in Chicago hasn't had this fixed, but its operators don't give a poo poo so it just sits out (also a couple patches behind, and unleveled. So, essentially it's an $8k paperweight that they have no interest in). This is also why I don't have a particularly large amount of faith in the Big Lebowski table.

Pinside is sort of a nightmare. There's a bunch of helpful people on there, but there's a few really loud assholes that derail every single thread into pointless unending arguments.

Domus
May 7, 2007

Kidney Buddies
It just depends on what you talk about. You can ask for a part on there and have someone jump in and offer it to you for next to nothing, because you're a fellow pinsider. The tech advice is meh, though, and you can find better prices on rec.games.pinball for complete machines. I ask questions there first because the people are nicer, and if no one knows, I go to rgp.

Yay Pudding!
Mar 26, 2010

Frrrrrrunkis
I scared a kid with a replay reward yesterday. I then went on to crack the leaderboard on who dunnit? Fun times. Not a bad first time out on real pinball. I managed a 60 mil 1st ball on Addams family, then totally poo poo the bed on the next two. I got a double multiball on batman, but I was hoping for the 8 ball multi on Indy.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Yay Pudding! posted:

I scared a kid with a replay reward yesterday.

The first time I got a free replay on Metallica, I had walked away from the table, when the free replay sound (some kind of hellish high-pitched alarm) sounded. I just about poo poo myself.

I'm trying to reclaim my spot at the top of the high score list for Doctor Strange on pinball FX2, and holy poo poo I hate the Baron Mordo mode. It wouldn't be so bad if it didn't have Strange and Mordo having a swordfight directly over the loving right flipper. It's a good table but whoever decided to block the view with all the toys needs a cockpunch. It's worse than the Thor mode in Avengers where Thor jumps over the flippers every time you hit an orbit.

Domus
May 7, 2007

Kidney Buddies
Yeah, I hate the Stern "knocker" replacement. They could literally play any sound, and they chose a high pitched screech. I get that it doesn't take up any extra space on the ROM, but they couldn't engineer a tone or something?

802.11weed
May 9, 2007

no

Domus posted:

Yeah, I hate the Stern "knocker" replacement. They could literally play any sound, and they chose a high pitched screech. I get that it doesn't take up any extra space on the ROM, but they couldn't engineer a tone or something?

Or just record a real knocker. a 1 second sound clip takes up no space compared to voice clips and music and stuff. Fuckin' stern.

Gromit
Aug 15, 2000

I am an oppressed White Male, Asian women wont serve me! Save me Campbell Newman!!!!!!!

Ugly In The Morning posted:

...whoever decided to block the view with all the toys needs a cockpunch.

Oh god yes. You even have the stretchy dude on the Fantastic Four table obnoxiously reaching out at the ball as it flies around and he blocks shots doing that for no reason. There's so much table space to have them do their poo poo in, why do it where the loving ball and flippers are?

Discount Viscount
Jul 9, 2010

FIND THE FISH!

Gromit posted:

Oh god yes. You even have the stretchy dude on the Fantastic Four table obnoxiously reaching out at the ball as it flies around and he blocks shots doing that for no reason. There's so much table space to have them do their poo poo in, why do it where the loving ball and flippers are?

That reminds me, the license is probably too expensive but I'd love to see Tommy make it to PA.

Tony Phillips
Feb 9, 2006
Am I really unlucky or is getting the pinball video mode in Theater of Magic rare? Trying to finish off the wizard goals and it's all I have left. Goal is to finish the mode but after a few dozen games I've yet to even see it.

Edit - just watched a YouTube of it. Dumbish question but does nudging work while doing it?

Tony Phillips fucked around with this message at 02:08 on Jan 6, 2014

roffels
Jul 27, 2004

Yo Taxi!

Beatnik-Filmstar posted:

Am I really unlucky or is getting the pinball video mode in Theater of Magic rare? Trying to finish off the wizard goals and it's all I have left. Goal is to finish the mode but after a few dozen games I've yet to even see it.

Edit - just watched a YouTube of it. Dumbish question but does nudging work while doing it?

No, and I hate pinball video because it's hard to aim. I usually get it when I shoot for the trap door.

802.11weed
May 9, 2007

no
When you start a game, hold the left flipper button. The first Basement Award will now be Digital Pinball.

Tony Phillips
Feb 9, 2006

802.11weed posted:

When you start a game, hold the left flipper button. The first Basement Award will now be Digital Pinball.

That's even mentioned in the in game rules, huh? On my phone and can't check. Can't believe I forgot about that. Gonna knock that dumb goal out pronto when I get home.

Edit - just got home. Got it on the 2nd try. Thanks again. Wizard goals complete. Think I'll move on to Circus Voltaire.

Tony Phillips fucked around with this message at 06:21 on Jan 6, 2014

Discount Viscount
Jul 9, 2010

FIND THE FISH!
The last time I played Theatre and shattered my previous high score I managed to get digital pinball like 4 times. That was a crazy game.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

So how long do you think its gonna take farsight to switch the free table of the month? :v:

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

Domus posted:

Didn't earlier ones have a knock sound, even though it was emulated?

Also on the topic of poo poo blocking your view, who the hell decided to put the cannon on AC/DC right over the outlane area so it's impossible to see if you're nudging the ball away or into the outlane?

Clouseau
Aug 3, 2003

My theories appall you, my heresies outrage you, I never answer letters, and you don't like my tie.
Stern has a booth at CES and some info has been trickling out. Specifically, Star Trek is the last of their old platform of machines, and their next games (presumably starting with Mustang) will have a different display, some wifi capabilities, and new diagnostics for operators. Given that some of that has been leaking out for the past year, its probably a fair guess that Star Trek was supposed to be the game with all that and it just wasn't ready in time.

In any case, it definitely sounds like one of their 2014 games will have the new platform.

MichiganCubbie
Dec 11, 2008

I love that I have an erection...

...that doesn't involve homeless people.

Clouseau posted:

Stern has a booth at CES and some info has been trickling out. Specifically, Star Trek is the last of their old platform of machines, and their next games (presumably starting with Mustang) will have a different display, some wifi capabilities, and new diagnostics for operators. Given that some of that has been leaking out for the past year, its probably a fair guess that Star Trek was supposed to be the game with all that and it just wasn't ready in time.

In any case, it definitely sounds like one of their 2014 games will have the new platform.

Great, another Stern platform for Farsight to not be able to emulate.

Same Great Paste
Jan 14, 2006

Galaga Galaxian posted:

Apparently this thread has a banner ad now?

Whoever made this is a beautiful human being.

Nurge
Feb 4, 2009

by Reene
Fun Shoe

MichiganCubbie posted:

Great, another Stern platform for Farsight to not be able to emulate.

It's less that they're not able to and more that they can't make it run on phones and don't have the license hookins for all the expensive-rear end licenses stern has been using in recent years. As much as I'd love for consoles and PC to get all the sweet sega/data-east stuff and newer sterns there's just no way they're letting go of releasing only stuff they can get out on ios/android because those are their biggest moneymakers.

GameCube
Nov 21, 2006

I'd be surprised if Stern were even open to the idea of licensing their newer tables anyway. Aren't they having a hard enough time selling the real thing already?

Crackbone
May 23, 2003

Vlaada is my co-pilot.

Werthog 95 posted:

I'd be surprised if Stern were even open to the idea of licensing their newer tables anyway. Aren't they having a hard enough time selling the real thing already?

A $5 virtual pinball table is not stealing any $8000 physical sales.

Clouseau
Aug 3, 2003

Werthog 95 posted:

Farsight has an open agreement with Stern and has access to any of their games, but it's on Farsight to get the rest of the licensing. Post Pinball Arcade, demand and prices for Ripleys machines has gone up (but I doubt that's the case with Harley). Simultaneous Pinball Arcade releases would probably help sales better than it'd hurt them.

Stern has also said that the last two years have been some of their best in a long time. Metallica and AC/DC do pretty well.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug
I would slap down the 30 or 40 bucks for a season pack just for that Metallica table. It's seriously fun but the closest one I know of is like two hours from me in a really expensive bar so I basically never get to play it when I'm not in Manhattan for other stuff.

GameCube
Nov 21, 2006

Guess I'm misjudging the market. I figured operators would be leery of buying a game that could be had for 5 bucks; the only other arcade games that seem to have survived the collapse of the industry are the kind that can't be replicated at home for cheap. I guess arcade operators can't account for many of their sales though, considering that arcades don't exist anymore.

Clouseau
Aug 3, 2003

Werthog 95 posted:

Guess I'm misjudging the market. I figured operators would be leery of buying a game that could be had for 5 bucks; the only other arcade games that seem to have survived the collapse of the industry are the kind that can't be replicated at home for cheap. I guess arcade operators can't account for many of their sales though, considering that arcades don't exist anymore.

The majority of Stern's customer base is private collectors, but there's still a fair number of operators, especially in growing pinball markets like NYC, Chicago, and Portland. Stern also still does a fair amount of business with operators abroad, apparently they do really well in Italy. I think they'd feel more threatened if there was a way to perfectly emulate pinball. For me, at least, I'm more inclined to play a game I've played on The Pinball Arcade when I see it on location.

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

I've always felt virtual pinball helps real pinball. There are a lot of machines that I've come across on TPA that have made me go out and actively seek them in the wild. Plus I imagine there are a lot of people in an age group that never got to experience full blown arcades as a kid and thus never really got to experience pinball. This is a great way to get them into it. If you're selling pinball machines to home owners, I think a virtual test drive is a good plan.

As for Stern, I think they're doing well. Thought I read that if they sell out their limited edition models, they at least break even on a table. AC/DC, Avengers, and Metallica all did so. Heck, there were practically fights over the Metallica LE models. AC/DC has had multiple runs now and it seems like Star Trek is quite popular. Avengers is the only table that struggled with sales after launch, but they at least sold out their LE models and did get a Premium to the line. If they ever finish the code on Metallica, I think it'll sell a bunch more.

I'd say they are doing well at the moment. Putting out 3 tables a year now it seems, with 3 different teams of designers. It was only 5 or so years ago that they slashed half their staff (including a lot of talent) and were on the verge of closing the doors. They're at least sustainable from what I gather.

ponzicar
Mar 17, 2008
Places with real machines are uncommon, and buying a real one for yourself is something very few people are able to do. Virtual pinball may not be a substitute for the real thing, but it's close enough to keep interest alive. Pinball would otherwise die out with the people who grew up with it. I'm 30, I only played it a little bit as a kid, during the last glory days of the American arcade, and even then I was far more interested in the video games. Some people younger than I am likely never even played a real machine. My father's love of pinball and Pinball Arcade are what got me interested in it only these past few years. If the only way to play real pinball tables was to drive for hours or spend thousands of dollars, a significant bit of floor space, as well as the time it would take to maintain a real machine in your house, pinball would be completely dead.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you
I want to own a physical table, but in addition to not having $5k to spare I would be stuck in indecision forever choosing between my 4-5 top tables.
Also I'm worried that maintenance/repairs on it will break my heart, like every boat owner ever.

But I'd super love to have the Data East Star Wars or Williams Indiana Jones :allears:

cosmicjim
Mar 23, 2010
VISIT THE STICKIED GOON HOLIDAY CHARITY DRIVE THREAD IN GBS.

Goons are changing the way children get an education in Haiti.

Edit - Oops, no they aren't. They donated to doobie instead.
As someone that spends a lot of time looking at physical prices of machines, I can tell that Pinball Arcade tables have an increased demand. It's weird, because the mythical status tables that don't have Pinball Arcade realeases also have increased demand(Addams Family). If you look at the average tier tables and compare them to similar tables that have Pinball Arcade releases you can see the difference. Black Rose, Nightmare on Elm Street, and Bram Stoker's Dracula are examples of tables that I think would see a spike in prices if they were released on TPA.

Same Great Paste
Jan 14, 2006

Bram Stoker's Dracula is such a blast to play in real life. Someone had posted here about MIST multiball - by the time I stumbled on one on location I had completed forgotten what it did. Holy loving poo poo that is a cool mechanic to be surprised by.

Can't really speak to the game overall though. It beat me up pretty bad for the few games I had change for. Felt promising.

Iron Beagle
Apr 27, 2007
For anybody interested in Zen Pinball for PS4, my buddy has a Twitch broadcast going, explaining some of the rules as he plays:
http://www.twitch.tv/gameglutton

He's a bit rusty but got pretty decent over the summer playing on his PS3. Very awesome that purchases carry right over to PS4.

Tasteful Bulge
Sep 5, 2003

It's down to you and me, you one-eyed freak.
Stern himself mentioned at the Southern Pinball Festival that Pinball Arcade has had a noticeable effect on the price and demand for their tables, old and new. He was really against the idea of video pins two years ago, but he's really warmed up to them now. He even said that what he'd really like to see is something like using Pinball Arcade as demos for his new tables before they even launch.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Clouseau
Aug 3, 2003

Same Great Paste posted:

Can't really speak to the game overall though. It beat me up pretty bad for the few games I had change for. Felt promising.

I can confirm that Dracula is a great table. Tough as poo poo (it has the shorter lightning flippers) but the rules are good and the mist multiball start is cool as hell.

Similar to AC/DC, one of the main strategies for the game is stacking three multiballs. If you can pull that off you're golden.