Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Attitude Indicator
Apr 3, 2009

Butt Ghost posted:

Final Fantasy VII's gloom and doom plot always scared me away from playing it, but now it sounds beautiful.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire

Mazed posted:

From a few pages back, but,

I take back everything bad I said about this.

We need this whole thing translated as literally as possible, and a dramatic reading performed.
To be fair we don't know how much is the original writing and how much is the translator's doing. The overall story content can probably be criticized but the writing style is a different story.

Captain Mog
Jun 17, 2011

SloppyDoughnuts posted:

Everyone thinks it's emo because all the expanded universe poo poo is the most dense, heavy garbage that you can see the black tears dripping from their game boxes. All of them, especially Advent Children, are so gloomy that it's messed with everyone's memories of the original. Most people these days only see Cloud in Kingdom Hearts, Advent Children and Dissidia, where he is the most insufferable baby. No one really goes back to replay 7 so they don't remember how he was just a weird guy who tries too hard to be 90's Cool.

See, one of the things I thought made FFVII great was the fact that it never quite took itself so seriously. Cloud has this sort of self-depreciating sense of humor that is strangely endearing, and the characters themselves say things that verge on ridiculous. But it fits in well with their overall universe, a bizarre cyberpunk fantasy world that seems to be oddly hung up on technology, sex, and violence.

I also think that's part of the reason why it's so popular. People tend to not only gravitate towards works with a weird (but functional) sense of humor, but stick by them fanatically and return to them many times.

I can't help but wonder how future generations will view FFVII. It often gets grouped in with "LoZ: OOT" and "Super Mario 64" as the classical literature of gaming, but will this classification hold up?

Captain Mog fucked around with this message at 17:13 on Jan 5, 2014

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.

RagnarokAngel posted:

To be fair we don't know how much is the original writing and how much is the translator's doing. The overall story content can probably be criticized but the writing style is a different story.

Would it surprise you even if it was stilted to be honest? Writing script for video games and writing it for a novel are two separate skill sets. I mean most translations from Japanese->English wind up very stiff, especially with novels because the languages are just so different. But also consider that Nojima's not a novelist, he's a scenario writer.

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.

Mazed posted:

I take back everything bad I said about this.
We need this whole thing translated as literally as possible, and a dramatic reading performed.

I tried to do it as FFX's Maechen :v:

rkajdi
Sep 11, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

That loving Sned posted:

It helps that the original renders had tons of anti-aliasing, but the lack of fine detail is still noticeable. It's still far better than just using a smoothing filter, or in the case of the PC port, no filter at all.
here.

I'm curious. What exactly is the issue with filtering? I've played video games for a long time (2600 a few years after it's prime quickly followed by the NES) and it honestly the only way to make (S)NES era graphics looks okay now. The lack of blurriness from the old CRT TV sets really makes older graphics look much worse than they did back when those games were new.

Rahzmataz
Apr 29, 2013
So i've given in to impatience and i'm about to kick off FFX via emulator on the PC. I played it years ago and loved it, but now I can't remember much at all. With that in mind, what's the general consensus on Basic/Advanced Sphere Grid? All those years ago I used basic, i've never even tried advanced. Is it better?

That Fucking Sned
Oct 28, 2010

rkajdi posted:

I'm curious. What exactly is the issue with filtering? I've played video games for a long time (2600 a few years after it's prime quickly followed by the NES) and it honestly the only way to make (S)NES era graphics looks okay now. The lack of blurriness from the old CRT TV sets really makes older graphics look much worse than they did back when those games were new.

Filtering is much better for games that use pre-rendered graphics rather than hand-drawn sprites. Here's an example of Donkey Kong Country and Yoshi's Island being magnified by 300%, with the unfiltered image on the left and the bilinear filtered image on the right.

Personally, I think Donkey Kong Country looks better with the filter, and Yoshi's Island looks better without it. DKC relies on smooth gradients, such as on DK's face and the banana, while Yoshi's Island looks better with the crisp pixel edges preserved. Final Fantasy VII uses pre-rendered graphics for its backgrounds as well, although with 3D models for the characters, so like DKC it looks much better filtered.

rkajdi
Sep 11, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

That loving Sned posted:

Personally, I think Donkey Kong Country looks better with the filter, and Yoshi's Island looks better without it. DKC relies on smooth gradients, such as on DK's face and the banana, while Yoshi's Island looks better with the crisp pixel edges preserved. Final Fantasy VII uses pre-rendered graphics for its backgrounds as well, although with 3D models for the characters, so like DKC it looks much better filtered.

I dunno, but to me both were less pixelated an thus better. I've been using 1024x968 with the hq4x filter, which has pretty well killed pixelation on the stuff I've played. It also provided a much smoother image for SMW2 than what you had. I just really wonder about a decent amount of the :argh: filtering :argh: or "It looks like RPGMaker" comments. I mean, RPGMaker is supposed to produce Final Fantasy clones with slightly better graphics, so of course an FF game that's updated to remove pixelly garbage is going to look like one. But I also am not as :argh: about FF8 or Xenogears, either, so I'm pretty obviously out of touch with this thread.

That Fucking Sned
Oct 28, 2010

rkajdi posted:

I dunno, but to me both were less pixelated an thus better. I've been using 1024x968 with the hq4x filter, which has pretty well killed pixelation on the stuff I've played. It also provided a much smoother image for SMW2 than what you had. I just really wonder about a decent amount of the :argh: filtering :argh: or "It looks like RPGMaker" comments. I mean, RPGMaker is supposed to produce Final Fantasy clones with slightly better graphics, so of course an FF game that's updated to remove pixelly garbage is going to look like one. But I also am not as :argh: about FF8 or Xenogears, either, so I'm pretty obviously out of touch with this thread.

I found this website, as well as this paper that show pixel sprites being put through two different filters. I don't use hq4x in emulators any more, but they do look nice in specific games.

I just brought this up because SE should have allowed the PC version of FFVII and VIII to use some type of filtering for the backgrounds, and the fractals showed how effective it could be. It even removed the dithering that was needed to mimic a higher colour depth.

Mazed
Oct 23, 2010

:blizz:

Ahahaha, wonderful!

Also, that's a pretty good Maechen impression. :golfclap:

RagnarokAngel posted:

This is true, maybe, but to make a paragraph like that not sound absolutely horrible in prose, it'd need to be rewritten from the ground up. It could be that it sounds fine in Japanese (though no less moronic in premise), but the impression one gets is that Nojima's prose skill is just lacking regardless.

rkajdi posted:

If you showed me the filtered Yoshi's Island screenshot first, I'd be into it, but next to the pixellated one, it just looks like it's been blurred somewhat.

Also, it's okay to like games that this thread hates, because thread title.

semiavrage
Apr 28, 2007

I'll show them... I'll show ALL of them...

rkajdi posted:

I don't personally like using filtering when I use emulators, but I agree that the games looked way different back in the day on a fuzzy CRT (in a good way.) In fact, the first time I used a PS1 emulator I was 100% certain it didn't work right, because I had never seen the games in such high detail before. (Especially considering ePSXe renders the actual models in high res while the sprites obviously remain at their original resolution.)

That Fucking Sned
Oct 28, 2010

Oh man, I can't believe I missed this. I might have a crack at it with Tidus' or Shoopuff guy's voice. No promises, though.

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

There are actually filters for emulators that emulate the look of a CRT screen.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Dr Pepper posted:

There are actually filters for emulators that emulate the look of a CRT screen.

I tried this once and it's kind of a fun novelty, but at some point you gotta ask yourself what the point is. It's never going to be fully accurate - I'm currently playing through FF6, on an original cart, on my SNES, on my old 28-inch CRT, and you can't really replicate that with an emulator. If I'm going to play something in an emulator, I'd want to take advantage of its added features, though I do think most filters look like hot garbage.

Hakkesshu fucked around with this message at 00:23 on Jan 6, 2014

The Dark Id
Aug 13, 2005

Why
you
know
I
LOVE
THIS SHIT !!!!
[citation needed]
Final Fantasy X was a pretty good game.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

You glorious bastard.

:golfclap:

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

Don't tease the Octopus, kids!

Well now that I've seen it, it doesn't seem so ridiculous at all!

Golden Battler
Sep 6, 2010

~Perfect and Elegant~

The best/worst thing to come out of the Final Fantasy franchise.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.

Ahahahahahaha

loving fantastic.

Folt The Bolt
Feb 21, 2012

Nothing exciting to see here. Move along.

Not gonna lie: I actually chuckled a little.

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

The Gologle Posting Experience.

<3
You guys should LP that. Instant GOLD rating.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Holy poo poo, this is amazing.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

How can you not want to play the sequel to this? Cmon

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Amazing. Absolutely amazing.

Squallege
Jan 7, 2006

No greater good, no just cause

Grimey Drawer

Yes! Yes!!!!

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

I cant stop laughing.

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

:sbahj:

Truly, this novel is a greater work of art then I imagined.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:
So is it for real they're making an FFX-3 or did they just make that lovely audio drama in case they decide to do so?

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

I'd say they probably will, unless the 10/10-2 HD collection flops hard. I mean they just remade the engine and have all those HD assets so they can probably make some money by churning about another game.

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

Calaveron posted:

So is it for real they're making an FFX-3 or did they just make that lovely audio drama in case they decide to do so?

It hasn't been announced, and it's not like having questionably canon audio dramas or novels is a new thing in Japan.

Of course, this is Square. There's probably gonna be 10-3 and Lightning will be an optional superboss.

TheEggsBenedict
Jan 4, 2013

if i go crazy then
will you still
call me superman
I love you

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

Hellioning posted:

Of course, this is Square. There's probably gonna be 10-3 and Lightning will be an optional superboss.

Optional? :raise:

CeallaSo
May 3, 2013

Wisdom from a Fool
Yeah, they've all but gone on record as saying it'll happen if the HD Remaster sells. Nojima wants it, and any company is going to pursue a title that promises to make money.

My faith in humanity requires that the Remaster sells really well, and then X-3 absolutely flops. If any part of X-2.5 or the audio drama is carried through to the final product, it promises to be a real poo poo show.

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.

Haha! This is perfect!

MechaX
Nov 19, 2011

"Let's be positive! Let's start a fire!"

CeallaSo posted:

Yeah, they've all but gone on record as saying it'll happen if the HD Remaster sells. Nojima wants it, and any company is going to pursue a title that promises to make money.

My faith in humanity requires that the Remaster sells really well, and then X-3 absolutely flops. If any part of X-2.5 or the audio drama is carried through to the final product, it promises to be a real poo poo show.

Given how it seems like the game sold more than Lightning Returns on its opening (when combining PS3 and Vita sales), your step one might have been fulfilled.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
It depends on what Square's expectations are for sales really.

dreffen
Dec 3, 2005

MEDIOCRE, MORSOV!

Sex_Ferguson posted:

It depends on what Square's expectations are for sales really.

One would hope after the total misjudgment of sales figures of Tomb Raider, Hitman, and Sleeping Dogs maybe they'll have more grounded expectations for upcoming stuff.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

dreffen posted:

One would hope after the total misjudgment of sales figures of Tomb Raider, Hitman, and Sleeping Dogs maybe they'll have more grounded expectations for upcoming stuff.

Well now that they don't have to rebuild FF14 for a third time and hide their losses on games that performed well, their sales expectations should be reasonable.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Locke
Jul 28, 2010

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

Well now that they don't have to rebuild FF14 for a third time and hide their losses on games that performed well, their sales expectations should be reasonable.

Final Fantasy in general has kinda been an albatross around S-E's neck this last generation- the absurd development costs of 13 and Crystal Tools, on top of the necessity of moving manpower to an All Hands on Deck fix to 14 has pretty much choked off a lot of life from Square-Enix this last generation. How hopefully with Crystal Tools done and available and 14 being a solid game now (if probably never going to be worth the amount of money and lost opportunities Square had to deal with to get it to it's current point) Square-Enix can just get back to making games instead of missing most of a generation choking on hubris and folly.

Of course, it wouldn't be Square if they didn't find some new disastrous way to nearly ruin the company now that they're getting back out into the clear. I wonder what they'll do in five-six years time to put themselves right back into the same spot yet again.