Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING

VitalSigns posted:

I don't think anyone is doing this. Class frictions is one of the problems in our community, but talking about it doesn't mean that it's the source of all problems.

Serious question for New Mexico goons: how is New Mexico so close to Texas and yet so progressive on social issues? Sure they weren't the first state to legal homosexual marriage, but I remember reading they were the first state to recognize homosexuals married in other places, and I'm pretty sure that some counties in New Mexico had legalized gay marriage even before the entire state did.

On second reading you're probably right I think I misread what was said, but it is an attitude that's prevalent in this thread that "rich white gay guys" are the bad guys.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

Nostalgia4Infinity posted:

drat, I'm jealous of lesbians because they do some lovely stuff yet "affluent gay men" catch all the blame. It really is amazing to see all problems within my community being attributed to some shadowy cabal.

Here's the money chart, so to speak:

http://www.usnews.com/news/articles/2013/06/06/study-poverty-rate-elevated-for-lgbt-community

More data from the census:

quote:

DUBNER: Let’s take a look at U.S. Census data. According to some analyses, median household income for heterosexual couples is about $86,000. For gay male couples, meanwhile, median household income is…$105,600, or nearly 20 percent more. And, for what it’s worth, lesbian couples have lower median income than heterosexual couples, about $84,000. So Danny Rosa seems to be right – gay men do seem to earn more. So the next logical question is … why?
DUBNER: So all the evidence seems to confirm the hunch that Danny Rosa, our Freakonomics Radio listener, got in touch to ask us about. That gay men are more affluent, probably because they’re more highly educated, and because they’re much less likely to have kids, which means they have the money to live in really nice neighborhoods.
http://freakonomics.com/2013/12/12/are-gay-men-really-rich-full-transcript/

Practical interpretation: both gay men and lesbians face higher-than-average rates of poverty. Lesbians in particular are hurt by overall lower earning power for women then men. However, for gay men specifically there is a huge bubble of wealth at the top that raises the average income to 20% higher than the average and this bubble does not exist to anywhere near the same extent for lesbian women, or transgendered people, or any other demographic.

A shadowy cabal isn't anything that's been claimed (i.e. a strawman) and that's not how things work in reality, it's just the same FYGM politics and special interest pandering that peel off any wealthy subdemographic. That kind of wealth inequality is a situation that's ripe for Republican advantage, if they can shut up the yokel crowd about how much they hate gays. It would probably happen at a state level first, places like New York and New Jersey have decent numbers of gay people and don't have to pander to the hicks like they might down south. If your representative isn't crowing about how much he hates gays (all politics are local) it's entirely possible that those affluent gay people could start voting Republican.

I really think the GOP is going to take a turn for the "shut up about gay people" very soon, probably 2016 even if they decide to use it as a wedge issue in deep red states one last time. A lot of that pain will be inflicted anyway very soon. It was wildly apparent to everyone in 2012 that the inmates were running the asylum (endless yokel primaries, Rove's little meltdown, unskewing, Cruz's one man government shutdown, etc), and that's simply not a way that the GOP can win. I think the "no more fools" is going to come from on high, strongly, and soon. The state-level parties run their own internal affairs and I think a lot of them are going to start tightening their grip.

Paul MaudDib fucked around with this message at 02:10 on Jan 6, 2014

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.

VitalSigns posted:

Serious question for New Mexico goons: how is New Mexico so close to Texas and yet so progressive on social issues? Sure they weren't the first state to legal homosexual marriage, but I remember reading they were the first state to recognize homosexuals married in other places, and I'm pretty sure that some counties in New Mexico had legalized gay marriage even before the entire state did.
I think it's because a larger percentage of New Mexico's population are hispanic Catholics than that of Texas, and hispanic Catholics are more liberal on just about every issue, including social issues, than white evangelicals.

Bel_Canto
Apr 23, 2007

"Pedicabo ego vos et irrumabo."

Nostalgia4Infinity posted:

On second reading you're probably right I think I misread what was said, but it is an attitude that's prevalent in this thread that "rich white gay guys" are the bad guys.

They're bad guys insofar as they tend to have pretty much all the blinders that your average rich white dude does. The rich white gay dudes aren't particularly interested in deploying their political and financial capital for the benefit of anybody other than themselves. I saw this most strongly when I was teaching in Minnesota schools during the Anoka-Hennepin suicide epidemic: the advocates for anti-bullying measures were receiving barely any financial support from the standard panoply of "Gay, Inc." national groups, even though this district was in national headlines. If you're touting yourself as a major queer advocacy organization but can't be bothered to give a small amount that would nonetheless be of huge benefit to a local push like that, especially when it's literally a life-and-death situation for queer kids, then you probably need to reexamine whether you're actually working on behalf of the community.

the JJ
Mar 31, 2011

Paul MaudDib posted:

Here's the money chart, so to speak:

http://www.usnews.com/news/articles/2013/06/06/study-poverty-rate-elevated-for-lgbt-community

More data from the census:

http://freakonomics.com/2013/12/12/are-gay-men-really-rich-full-transcript/

Practical interpretation: both gay men and lesbians face higher-than-average rates of poverty. Lesbians in particular are hurt by overall lower earning power for women then men. However, for gay men specifically there is a huge bubble of wealth at the top that raises the average income to 20% higher than the average and this bubble does not exist to anywhere near the same extent for lesbian women, or transgendered people, or any other demographic.

A shadowy cabal isn't anything that's been claimed (i.e. a strawman) and that's not how things work in reality, it's just the same FYGM politics and special interest pandering that peel off any wealthy subdemographic. That kind of wealth inequality is a situation that's ripe for Republican advantage, if they can shut up the yokel crowd about how much they hate gays. It would probably happen at a state level first, places like New York and New Jersey have decent numbers of gay people and don't have to pander to the hicks like they might down south. If your representative isn't crowing about how much he hates gays (all politics are local) it's entirely possible that those affluent gay people could start voting Republican.

Is that controlled for state by state income differences? I'm pretty sure there's a correlation between high average wages and marriage equality.

ponzicar
Mar 17, 2008

Lycus posted:

Does it ever do any good? Because I figured most of them already convinced themselves that marriage equality is big government because it's "big government trying to change the natural definition of marriage!"

It trips them up, because they aren't expecting you to come from a conservative angle. Of course, it's not going to change anyone's mind on the issue.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

ponzicar posted:

It trips them up, because they aren't expecting you to come from a conservative angle. Of course, it's not going to change anyone's mind on the issue.

Eh, I tried that on my dad years and years ago after the Lawrence v Texas ruling, and he came back with "government enforces laws that are good for society." He believes that government getting "out of the way" of business is what is legitimately best for rich and poor alike, and that government needs to protect the family as the bedrock of our society. Only a Libertarian would be swayed by such an argument.

He seems to be moving along towards acceptance of gay marriage though between my coming out, and him finding out that one of his friends from college is gay and just got married in California. Now all I need to do is keep hammering the Gospels on him whenever he brings up Christianity and I think I can turn him to social justice.
:getin:

Yiggy
Sep 12, 2004

"Imagination is not enough. You have to have knowledge too, and an experience of the oddity of life."

VitalSigns posted:

Hispanic catholics, ski bums, wicked sunsets, hippy art towns and hot air balloon festivals. Whereas most of Texas where the socially conservative types live is blighted scrubland blanketed in a miasma of fart smell, either from the oil patch or the ranching. People in New Mexico are by and large happy, whereas people in Texas outside of the hill country, well... you get the idea...

samurai slowdown
Jun 11, 2006

POWER UP

VitalSigns posted:

Nah, I predict that affluent white married gay couples will be welcomed back into the party. Now that they have their tax breaks, they'll be more than happy to poo poo all over minorites, the poor, trans people, etc etc. Bonus because they can point to "See this politician is gay, and he doesn't think we need a non-discrimination amendment. Looks like liberals are the real bigots because they don't think a gay person can hold a job."

Edit: Also, the promised extensions of rights to trans people won't arrive, obviously.

There's no reason to switch parties when the Democrats will give them what they want without the overt bigotry. The Republicans are so hostile to gay anything at this point that no openly gay person would be allowed to have any real position of power or influence in the GOP. There won't be any big defection in the foreseeable future. ENDA will be the next big legislative push but it is in limbo until we do something about the House. It's going to be a lot harder for HRC to justify supporting a version of ENDA without trans protections now that we know that the Senate is already capable of passing a fully inclusive ENDA. It would be nice to have HRC's full support of a non bullshit version of ENDA but the DADT debacle proved that it isn't necessary.

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo

VitalSigns posted:

If there is one constant about Evangelical Christianity as a political movement in this country, it's that the Word of God is secondary to the class interests of the rich.

That is, of course, not true.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

WhiskeyJuvenile posted:

That is, of course, not true.

:confused: That whole article is about how the Christian Right focused on issues Jesus didn't give a poo poo about (abortion) or issues that Jesus explicitly condemned (public prayer, which school prayer would definitely fall under), and ignored everything Jesus said about charity, benevolence, and the sinfulness of the rich in order to disguise fellating the wealthy as defending Christianity.

The GOP doesn't care if the Evangelicals want to gently caress over working women who want equal pay, or if they want to end abortion: neither of those things affects rich people. Once gay marriage is entrenched though, opposing it will likely alienate such a large portion of the electorate (like opposing interracial marriage would today) that the GOP will offer them a more popularly despised target to hate and fear and blame for all the problems of America and tell them to knock off the open gay slurs and switch to dogwhistles.

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo

VitalSigns posted:

:confused: That whole article is about how the Christian Right focused on issues Jesus didn't give a poo poo about (abortion) or issues that Jesus explicitly condemned (public prayer, which school prayer would definitely fall under), and ignored everything Jesus said about charity, benevolence, and the sinfulness of the rich in order to disguise fellating the wealthy as defending Christianity.

The GOP doesn't care if the Evangelicals want to gently caress over working women who want equal pay, or if they want to end abortion: neither of those things affects rich people. Once gay marriage is entrenched though, opposing it will likely alienate such a large portion of the electorate (like opposing interracial marriage would today) that the GOP will offer them a more popularly despised target to hate and fear and blame for all the problems of America and tell them to knock off the open gay slurs and switch to dogwhistles.

The Christian Right didn't exist as a political force but to fight cultural-war battles; they don't give a poo poo about economics past sloganeering, which is how you get someone like Huckabee.

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe
You don't think evangelicals carry water for the Reagan vision of low taxes and high inequality?

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

WhiskeyJuvenile posted:

The Christian Right didn't exist as a political force but to fight cultural-war battles; they don't give a poo poo about economics past sloganeering, which is how you get someone like Huckabee.

So what you're saying is: it's more that the GOP adopts stupid wedge issues to attract the evangelicals and get them to vote for free-market economics.

Maybe you're right, but it does seem that people like Huckabee or Santorum sure seem to buy into that Just World Prosperity Gospel poo poo that wealth is evidence of God's blessing and poverty is sinful...

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

VitalSigns posted:

So what you're saying is: it's more that the GOP adopts stupid wedge issues to attract the evangelicals and get them to vote for free-market economics.

Maybe you're right, but it does seem that people like Huckabee or Santorum sure seem to buy into that Just World Prosperity Gospel poo poo that wealth is evidence of God's blessing and poverty is sinful...

People who believe in Prosperity gospel and are evangelicals do exist and are the loudest (because with money it's easy to do stuff) but there are a large number of people who see the inherent hypocrisy with the "Free market Jesus" stuff and I believe it's going to reach a point where they just stop voting entirely.

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

Supreme Court stopped Utah gay marriages until the 10th Circuit makes a ruling.

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Every day takes figurin' out all over again how to fuckin' live.
Slippery Tilde
Utah marriages put on hold by SCOTUS pending the 10th ruling.

edit: :argh:

Ballz
Dec 16, 2003

it's mario time

Time to turn Utah from blue back to green in the OP map. :sigh:

Equality on Trial's writeup

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

Now that hunger strike rear end in a top hat is going to think he succeeded by fasting.

Foyes36
Oct 23, 2005

Food fight!

SubponticatePoster posted:

Utah marriages put on hold by SCOTUS pending the 10th ruling.

edit: :argh:

Isn't the fact that the 10th did not stay the ruling a good sign of their actual ruling ahead?

And what's the timeline for that?

The Macaroni
Dec 20, 2002
...it does nothing.
The stay shouldn't influence the timeline a whole lot, but the 10th probably won't let this sit too long.

Mr Ice Cream Glove posted:

Now that hunger strike rear end in a top hat is going to think he succeeded by fasting.
Indeed. :(

Gynocentric Regime
Jun 9, 2010

by Cyrano4747
I hope this doesn't portend Sotamayor becoming a reverse Souter.

Ballz
Dec 16, 2003

it's mario time

Hasters posted:

She brought it to the other justices and CNN reports "Monday's order had no noted dissents and can be enforced immediately."

I think they're just covering all their bases so that when SSM bans are ultimately struck down for good, nobody can rationally say that the SCOTUS didn't give them a fair chance.

The Macaroni
Dec 20, 2002
...it does nothing.
Folks got a couple weeks to get married, so I feel slightly less bad about this. We'll have to wait and see how things go. :ohdear:

Brigadier Sockface
Apr 1, 2007

The Macaroni posted:

Folks got a couple weeks to get married, so I feel slightly less bad about this. We'll have to wait and see how things go. :ohdear:

Is there a number published somewhere?

ReidRansom
Oct 25, 2004

What's the deal with the two vacancies on the 10th? I thought Reid jammed through a bunch of limbo nominations the republicans had been stalling, but it looks like one of them has been pending for over a year now.

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

Brigadier Sockface posted:

U.S. District Judge Robert Shelby ruled Dec. 20 that the state's ban on same-sex marriage violates gay and lesbian couples' constitutional rights. Since then, more than 900 same-sex couples have tied the knot.

from USA Today
http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/nation/2014/01/06/supreme-court-halts-utah-gay-marriage/4338799/

WHOOPS
Nov 6, 2009

Brigadier Sockface posted:

Somewhere a bit north of 900 is what I saw.

Gynocentric Regime
Jun 9, 2010

by Cyrano4747

Ballz posted:

She brought it to the other justices and CNN reports "Monday's order had no noted dissents and can be enforced immediately."

I think they're just covering all their bases so that when SSM bans are ultimately struck down for good, nobody can rationally say that the SCOTUS didn't give them a fair chance.

I hadn't seen that detail, that is heartening, even if it stops everything for a year or two.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
So far the internet has only sent Trestin one pizza, the same number as it sent to Joe Biden.

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Every day takes figurin' out all over again how to fuckin' live.
Slippery Tilde

Joementum posted:

So far the internet has only sent Trestin one pizza, the same number as it sent to Joe Biden.
He was on the radio this morning and said he was going to wait an hour before eating. I didn't catch what he said he was going to eat.

We should make up for this by sending Biden another pizza.

oldfan
Jul 22, 2007

"Mathewson pitched against Cincinnati yesterday. Another way of putting it is that Cincinnati lost a game of baseball."

Hasters posted:

It was an order from all nine justices and means nothing substantively. It's basically the Supreme Court fixing the original error of the Utah attorney general which the district court judge probably should have fixed on his own, but which the 10th Circuit really couldn't for boring procedural reasons.

ultramiraculous
Nov 12, 2003

"No..."
Grimey Drawer

Hasters posted:

According to articles on this, she's just the one designated to handle emergency requests like this. The 10th was slow dealing with the stay, and it was requested that the Supreme Court handle it. It's just boring court procedure that got dropped on her desk, rather than something she went out of her way to take action on. Sotomayor's views aren't really being expressed at all

thefncrow
Mar 14, 2001

ultramiraculous posted:

According to articles on this, she's just the one designated to handle emergency requests like this. The 10th was slow dealing with the stay, and it was requested that the Supreme Court handle it. It's just boring court procedure that got dropped on her desk, rather than something she went out of her way to take action on. Sotomayor's views aren't really being expressed at all

Actually, this is not the case. The 10th wasn't being slow, they had rejected the application for a stay. They said they'd expedite their hearings for Utah, but they rejected Utah's requests for a stay. Sotomayor handles certain types of appeals for the 10th Circuit, which is her riding. Sotomayor took the request and forwarded it to the entire body, and the entire court ruled for the stay without objection.

Now, as much as I'm in favor of marriage equality, there was a good case for a stay here even if Utah was making ludicrous claims about why the stay should be put into place. That's why you have a court which just issued Perry and Windsor who unanimously approved the stay. It's almost certainly not because they've all suddenly changed their minds.

I'd honestly expected that the issuance of licenses would be cut off much more quickly than it was.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
Yea pretty much, the stay is valid even if Utah went on and on about the wrong rear end reasons for it.

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Your brokebrain sin is absolved...go and shitpost no more!

Could the judge who ruled Utah's ban unconstitutional have applied a preemptive stay to his ruling? And if so, is it significant that he didn't?

The Macaroni
Dec 20, 2002
...it does nothing.
NPR had this to say on the stay:

quote:

CORNISH: So just how big a deal is this, that they granted this stay? Should we be reading a lot into it?

TOTENBERG: I don't really think so. First of all, there were no dissenters, so the court appears to have been unanimous. And second, you have to realize that the whole question of gay marriage is a huge deal. And if the court had not granted a stay, it would have meant that without the issue being resolved at the highest level, same-sex marriages would have occurred in Utah and likely in other states, too.

CORNISH: How would that work? Explain.

TOTENBERG: Well, there are currently 42 challenges to state bans on gay marriage pending in courts all over the country, most of them in federal court. Now, some of those plaintiffs are going to win, just as the plaintiffs won at the district court level in Utah. And if the Supreme Court had refused to grant a stay in the Utah case, it would mean that judges all over the country would take their cues from that. And this is way, way too big an issue to let that happen sort of through the backdoor without any actual Supreme Court ruling. So the bottom line here is that the normal rule is that courts try to preserve the status quo in a case like this.
So I'm not feeling that bad, I think.

Lutha Mahtin posted:

Could the judge who ruled Utah's ban unconstitutional have applied a preemptive stay to his ruling? And if so, is it significant that he didn't?
From what I understand, the Utah attorneys made a procedural mistake which prevented them from requesting a stay on the ruling. I'm not sure if the judge himself had the privilege to issue the stay on his own discretion. Even if he did, he likely had the prerogative to withhold that stay as well.

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Your brokebrain sin is absolved...go and shitpost no more!

The Macaroni posted:

From what I understand, the Utah attorneys made a procedural mistake which prevented them from requesting a stay on the ruling.

So 900 or however many marriages occurred because Utah's AG office is incompetent? :master:

The Macaroni
Dec 20, 2002
...it does nothing.
I'm having trouble finding a story about the judge's original denial of the stay--Google keeps pointing to results talking about the SCOTUS granting a stay--but I vaguely remember the Utah attorneys failing to request a stay properly, which resulted in the rush of marriages immediately after the decision. Usually parties ask for an immediate stay after a decision like this, which was granted (for example) in the California case that struck down Prop 8.

Utah filed correctly 3 days later, at which point the judge said "1) gently caress you, I'm not issuing a stay on the merits 2) if you wanted an emergency stay for procedural reasons, you should've asked properly to begin with." The 10th circuit also denied the requests for a stay, so that's how we got 2 weeks of marital bliss.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ponsonby Britt
Mar 13, 2006
I think you mean, why is there silverware in the pancake drawer? Wassup?

ReidRansom posted:

What's the deal with the two vacancies on the 10th? I thought Reid jammed through a bunch of limbo nominations the republicans had been stalling, but it looks like one of them has been pending for over a year now.

He did jam through some nominations (to the DC Circuit Court, the Chair of the Fed, and some others), but the Senate hasn't gotten to other circuit court nominees yet - there were a lot of backlogged nominees, and Republicans still have a number of tactics they can use to delay those votes, which of course they've been using.

• Locked thread