Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Wildtortilla
Jul 8, 2008
Continuing with my chain attack questions, is it possible to switch between characters when executing a chain attack? I like to control Reyn most of the time, and it seems silly to me that during a chain attack, I can't topple enemies because Reyn has to attack first and Shulk attacks second.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

Wildtortilla posted:

Continuing with my chain attack questions, is it possible to switch between characters when executing a chain attack? I like to control Reyn most of the time, and it seems silly to me that during a chain attack, I can't topple enemies because Reyn has to attack first and Shulk attacks second.

If there is a way, I never figured out how. However, you can game it a bit by making Shulk the third party member, so Reyn's second attack will come right after Shulk's first. Just make sure you don't botch the chain and leave your party with only one attack each.

Vil
Sep 10, 2011

Assuming nobody's incapacitated, it'll always go in the order 1-2-3-1-2-3-1-2-3. 1 will be whoever you're controlling, but you can manipulate it a bit to make sure 2 and 3 are in the order you prefer.

Backup solution: initiate the chain attack right after Shulk's used his break move normally and the enemy's in break status. Then you can lead off with a topple.

GOTTA STAY FAI
Mar 24, 2005

~no glitter in the gutter~
~no twilight galaxy~
College Slice

Vil posted:

I think you still have to be positioned correctly (despite that you can't control position), but I may be reputed rash.

I've noticed that at least whoever starts the chain attack needs to be in the correct place. My observations about anyone else have been wildly varied. Sometimes, it seems like they need to be positioned correctly, and other times (though perhaps due to chain attack bonuses amping up the damage), it seems like it doesn't matter.

On an unrelated note, thank you, kind Nopon shopkeeper in (late-game spoiler warning) Colony 6 that finally sold me some goddamn clothes for Fiora.

Shulk and Dundun are the only ones allowed to go shirtless :cool:

edit: And thanks for the drop stat info earlier. By my estimation, I opened about three hundred chests before getting that drop off of ol' what's-his-name. I'm not sure, in retrospect, why it was so important for me to get it right then when I could've waited a while and gotten it with considerably less effort.

GOTTA STAY FAI fucked around with this message at 20:30 on Jan 6, 2014

vaguely
Apr 29, 2013

hot_squirting_honey.gif

GOTTA STAY FAI posted:

Shulk and Dundun are the only ones allowed to go shirtless :cool:

Why so discriminate against Reyn :(

Ugh, don't get me started on her armour options, I had her horribly undergeared for so long because everything I found was a TnA-splosion. She's a robot, she doesn't even have real tits (edit: any more), stop making her cleavagemonster!

Rosalie_A
Oct 30, 2011

Vil posted:

Backup solution: initiate the chain attack right after Shulk's used his break move normally and the enemy's in break status. Then you can lead off with a topple.

Double backup solution: Wait until Shulk has Broken the enemy, then Wild Down it, then wait for Shaker Edge/Shield Bash, and then Chain Attack. You get a damage bonus and gain no aggro while you're beating the enemy up. Obviously, this doesn't apply if you need healing/vision breaking right now, but I find timing and using Chain Attacks to be one of the most fun parts of a fun game, so don't be afraid to deviate from a formula.

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

This is me on vacation in Amsterdam :)
Never be afraid of being yourself!

If you have Riki and want to practice chain attacks, he's got an ability that refills 1/3 of the bar, and you can open combat with it. Then immediately cancel combat, and open combat again; one more loop and you're ready to start combat with a chain attack and try things out.

Tupperwarez
Apr 4, 2004

"phphphphphphpht"? this is what you're going with?

you sure?

vaguely posted:

Why so discriminate against Reyn :(

Ugh, don't get me started on her armour options, I had her horribly undergeared for so long because everything I found was a TnA-splosion. She's a robot, she doesn't even have real tits (edit: any more), stop making her cleavagemonster!

I was a little conflicted when I got the Speed V torso. On one hand, Haste IV gem! On the other hand, the aesthetic design is uh, 'special'. Most of the Speed V chassis is stripperific, come to think of it.

Vil
Sep 10, 2011

Tupperwarez posted:

I was a little conflicted when I got the Speed V torso. On one hand, Haste IV gem! On the other hand, the aesthetic design is uh, 'special'. Most of the Speed V chassis is stripperific, come to think of it.

You get the same gem with the same amount of haste on the much less stripperific Speed IV. You just lose a little bit of physical and ether defense, which is a totally reasonable tradeoff.

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Are... are you quite sure you really want to say that?
Taco Defender
I'm having trouble using Dunban's Break-inflicting ability (Electric Gutbuster). The description says that if you use it after Gale Slash, it inflicts Break, but I can't seem to get it to work. It's not popping up an "Immune" thing, I'm trying it on normal ground enemies. Maybe I was missing or something? It's working better now I guess.

I've forgotten how awesome Melia's Starlight Kick is.

Stabbey_the_Clown fucked around with this message at 05:42 on Feb 9, 2014

GoodluckJonathan
Oct 31, 2003

Question about how far I am:

I just got out of prison tower and that huge giant dude was killed except psyche, he's still alive oh and the mechons with faces are really fiora and that guy from the intro with the claws (duhhhhhhh) how far into the game am I?

Systematic System
Jun 17, 2012

Wachepti posted:

Question about how far I am:

I just got out of prison tower and that huge giant dude was killed except psyche, he's still alive oh and the mechons with faces are really fiora and that guy from the intro with the claws (duhhhhhhh) how far into the game am I?

You're approaching about half-way through the story, and maybe 1/3rd through all the content in the game.

GoodluckJonathan
Oct 31, 2003

Ok, thanks.

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

For lack of information and a proper thread, the Feb 13 Nintendo Direct has uncut combat footage from "X" in it. Seems like the constant party-chatter to help you keep track of a fight is retained which is good because it seems like there's a ton more going on than before, seemed to have targetable sections on enemies? Some refinements also seems to be clear indication of front-back-side attack bonus statuses from the main combat UI and some new chain/combo mechanics, and better feedback for the "Push B!" prompts.

You and your party can get in the giant mechs to smash littler enemies or to fight stupid-level giant enemies, and you can seemingly hop out at any time to harass the big ones on foot.

Also, good "Just wandering around" music seems retained.

Med School
Feb 27, 2012

Where did you learn how to do that?

Chronojam posted:

For lack of information and a proper thread, the Feb 13 Nintendo Direct has uncut combat footage from "X" in it. Seems like the constant party-chatter to help you keep track of a fight is retained which is good because it seems like there's a ton more going on than before, seemed to have targetable sections on enemies? Some refinements also seems to be clear indication of front-back-side attack bonus statuses from the main combat UI and some new chain/combo mechanics, and better feedback for the "Push B!" prompts.

You and your party can get in the giant mechs to smash littler enemies or to fight stupid-level giant enemies, and you can seemingly hop out at any time to harass the big ones on foot.

That looks amazing! Was like watching modern day Xenogears

shaitan
Mar 8, 2004
g.d.m.f.s.o.b.

Chronojam posted:

About how far into the video is that?

PrBacterio
Jul 19, 2000

shaitan posted:

About how far into the video is that?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GNOVjqlwBRs
Here you go.

shaitan
Mar 8, 2004
g.d.m.f.s.o.b.

You rock. Thanks! This game may be the reason I end up getting a Wii U eventually

Friendly Factory
Apr 19, 2007

I can't stand the wailing of women
HUGE SUCCEEDED

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Do we still not know anything about the story and how it's related to Xenoblade, if it is at all?

NmareBfly
Jul 16, 2004

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

I'm still worried that the leap to current gen has turned the palette brown, but we've only really seen once location so far so there's still hope.

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

I heard someone recommending this game for a good JRPG for the Wii which is rare let me just google the g--- $100? What the gently caress?

Does anyone have an explanation for this.

Factory Davey
Jan 9, 2010

I am aware of what the hands look like. I did my best. :(

GreyPowerVan posted:

I heard someone recommending this game for a good JRPG for the Wii which is rare let me just google the g--- $100? What the gently caress?

Does anyone have an explanation for this.

The game was released in the US only through the Nintendo Store (or some other direct line) and Gamestop's, so it can be fairly hard to find.

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

Baltazar Robotnik posted:

The game was released in the US only through the Nintendo Store (or some other direct line) and Gamestop's, so it can be fairly hard to find.

That's kind of annoying, I was hoping I could actually buy the game. At that price, I can't justify it even if it was a direct line to infinite orgasms :v:.

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

I'm interplanetary, bitch
Let's go to Mars

You know how all the other Xeno games had a three-digit hour counter?

This time it's not an idle boast/threat.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

Do we still not know anything about the story and how it's related to Xenoblade, if it is at all?

Well, the main character does look a lot like Shulk/Zanza so probably.

Vil
Sep 10, 2011

GreyPowerVan posted:

That's kind of annoying, I was hoping I could actually buy the game. At that price, I can't justify it even if it was a direct line to infinite orgasms :v:.

$59.99 "pre-owned" at GameStops all over the place, $53.99 if you're in their pre-owned club or whatever. (They did a re-printing and they're not actually pre-owned copies. :ssh:)

Still a pretty hefty price tag for a game that's two years old now; it's more comparable to a new AAA title release price. But it is a hard-to-get game that's two years old, so that kind of balances.

Still, beats $100 however you look at it.

Die Sexmonster!
Nov 30, 2005

Vil posted:

$59.99 "pre-owned" at GameStops all over the place, $53.99 if you're in their pre-owned club or whatever. (They did a re-printing and they're not actually pre-owned copies. :ssh:)

Still a pretty hefty price tag for a game that's two years old now; it's more comparable to a new AAA title release price. But it is a hard-to-get game that's two years old, so that kind of balances.

Still, beats $100 however you look at it.

If you like RPGs and have played something similar to an MMO without gagging, you'll get your money's worth out of this one. Massive game.

If you don't like it, flip it on eBay for profit :v:

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Taco Defender
This is a great game with a few slight imperfections, but even slight imperfections can get really annoying over time. Like the lack of a feature that auto-switches gems from old equipment into new stuff which has gem slots, and how tedious it can be to get Colony 9's affinity up, or to search for the stupid dumb rare collectible that you need, and how it's tiring to craft a ton of crystals into gems just to clear inventory space, and how the shop and inventory interface is somewhat clunky

Then again, this is a game where a tiny princess can do a drop-kick to make dinosaurs with lightning breath fall down, so there's that.

It's also really great to do a chain attack in a group, and use area-effect skills to boost the chain gauge so much that you can immediately do ANOTHER chain attack the second the first one ends, and do the same thing again. :allears:

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

Because chains also unlock all the abilities regardless of their prior cooldown, you can have Riki re-apply his free bluebar ability every time you chain.

5er
Jun 1, 2000

Nintendo is just saying 'hmm we really just don't want money or rehabilitating our image' by not having this on their eshop.

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Taco Defender

Chronojam posted:

Because chains also unlock all the abilities regardless of their prior cooldown, you can have Riki re-apply his free bluebar ability every time you chain.

That seems like a terribly poor use for one of the attacks in a chain. Especially in my case where Riki's relationships with the rest of the party are all :geno:, so there's a much lower chance of continuing the chain.

Ojjeorago
Sep 21, 2008

I had a dream, too. It wasn't pleasant, though ... I dreamt I was a moron...
Gary’s Answer

5er posted:

Nintendo is just saying 'hmm we really just don't want money or rehabilitating our image' by not having this on their eshop.

It wouldn't matter since they're killing the eshop anyways.

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

I'm interplanetary, bitch
Let's go to Mars

Whizbang posted:

It wouldn't matter since they're killing the eshop anyways.

[citation needed]

They're shutting down Nintendo Wi-Fi Connection, because all their infrastructure was handled by GameSpy, and they got bought out by Glu, and they can't be bothered.

It IS pretty much dicks, but as far as I know it doesn't affect actually buying software, even on the DSi and Wii (and it'd have to be only on the Wii U shop anyway because the Wii system memory is just adorably small).

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

Stabbey_the_Clown posted:

That seems like a terribly poor use for one of the attacks in a chain. Especially in my case where Riki's relationships with the rest of the party are all :geno:, so there's a much lower chance of continuing the chain.

Maybe if you've got low affinity; it's still a guaranteed 1/3 towards your next chain.

Vil
Sep 10, 2011

True, though it's also that much less that you're actually doing with the chain attack itself.

(Though with a Melia/Riki/Sharla setup, you certainly have options to have a blue round of moves in there, though the actual damaging stuff will be purple and white.)

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat

Stabbey_the_Clown posted:

This is a great game with a few slight imperfections, but even slight imperfections can get really annoying over time. Like the lack of a feature that auto-switches gems from old equipment into new stuff which has gem slots, and how tedious it can be to get Colony 9's affinity up, or to search for the stupid dumb rare collectible that you need, and how it's tiring to craft a ton of crystals into gems just to clear inventory space, and how the shop and inventory interface is somewhat clunky

I'm not sure if I bought anything from shops other than skill books and specialty equipment like Mechon-damaging weapons. But yes, cranking Colony 9's affinity up can suck a dick and it might be the primary reason I've stalled out on this game (because I'm OCD and want to have Shulk's 4th tree unlocked so I'm not "wasting experience", like you can waste EXP in this game)

TriffTshngo
Mar 28, 2010

Don't get it twisted who your enemies are.
I actually didn't mind getting up Colony 9's affinity, Alcamoth is what ended up making me give up the notion of 5-Starring every area.

Draile
May 6, 2004

forlorn llama
There isn't even a benefit to five-starring Alcamoth.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

internet celebrity
Jun 23, 2006

College Slice
Just finished this game and I really can't say anything that hasn't been said. So sad to be done with it.

One thing that I never figured out in the 95 hours I poured into this, what exactly makes chain attacks continue past the first 3 attacks? It seems like it's kind of random.

• Locked thread