Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌

Ehud posted:

Former #1 recruit in the country Ronald Powell has declared for the draft. Doesn't seem like a great idea, but hey. He played really well for like half a year, tore his ACL in 2012, and played okay this year.

I guess I don't blame him because of the injury history, but man, he could come back for his senior year and greatly improve his draft position.

I thought Seantrel was the #1 recruit that year. Either way that recruiting class was supposed to set the world on fire and man, so many injuries and disappointments.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Diva Cupcake
Aug 15, 2005

Seastrunk is also declaring fwiw.

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌

Ozu posted:

Seastrunk is also declaring fwiw.

That was a given, Storm is the weird declare. Either way I think this is an underrated draft for RBs. Carey, Seastrunk, Mason, Sankey, and even Carlos Hyde are better than pundits are making them out to be.

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN
"Storm" is a top 10 football name, especially for a RB, but he loses points for the generic "Johnson." 5/10 would not draft.

Coldforge
Oct 29, 2002

I knew it would be bad.
I didn't know it would be so stupid.

Benne posted:

"Storm" is a top 10 football name, especially for a RB, but he loses points for the generic "Johnson." 5/10 would not draft.

You're looking at it wrong. Storm Penis is pretty drat manly.

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌

Benne posted:

Actually Storm is too awesome of a name so he'll probably suck, much like Bacarri Rambo. A good football name is like Matt Slaughter for a linebacker or Frank Kilgore for an OT. A good RB name needs to have two names that make an ok sounding acronym, like SJax, AdP, CJ2000, etc.

Diva Cupcake
Aug 15, 2005

Bishop is an amazing first name but it's ruined with Sankey. Guess T-Mase/3-Mase wins by default.

e: In other news, Manziel was at a FSU club and there's video. Manziel rules. Him in New York would be a beautiful unicorn.

http://instagram.com/p/i1WKFCiMzd/

Diva Cupcake fucked around with this message at 20:50 on Jan 6, 2014

Grozz Nuy
Feb 21, 2008

Welcome to Moonside.

Wecomel to Soonmide.

Moonwel ot cosidme.

buddhanc posted:

Ifo Ekpre-Olomu is staying at Oregon for his senior year.

Motherfucker. I really liked him for the Niners, I was hoping we'd be able to move up to the middle of the first like we did for Reid and snag him.

Give me Gilbert in round 1 and one of Matthews/Adams/Landry in round 2, I guess.

Ozu posted:

Bishop is an amazing first name but it's ruined with Sankey. Guess T-Mase/3-Mase wins by default.

e: In other news, Manziel was at a FSU club and there's video. Manziel rules. Him in New York would be a beautiful unicorn.

http://instagram.com/p/i1WKFCiMzd/

JFF on the Jets would be an absurd circus so you know he's just going to end up in Cleveland. Oh god, the Jets are going to be the ones to give the Rams a shitload of picks, aren't they?

Amy Pole Her
Jun 17, 2002
Purifoy is likely a top 15 pick and a man cover stud

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌

AAA DOLFAN posted:

Purifoy is likely a top 15 pick and a man cover stud

I'm a little at a loss as to why all these draft sites have him in the second. Is there something I don't know about Purifoy?

Like CBS has Roberson ahead of him and all the times I watched Florida, Purifoy was sticking his man like glue while Roberson was drawing flags on seemingly every couple of drives.

Grozz Nuy
Feb 21, 2008

Welcome to Moonside.

Wecomel to Soonmide.

Moonwel ot cosidme.
CBS used to have Purifoy in the late first but he's dropped a lot over the course of the year and I don't really know why. I know Florida had a disappointing season, did he get hurt or something?

A Pale Horse
Jul 29, 2007

Maybe its because he looked pretty pedestrian compared to Vernon Hargreaves.

Amy Pole Her
Jun 17, 2002

Grozz Nuy posted:

CBS used to have Purifoy in the late first but he's dropped a lot over the course of the year and I don't really know why. I know Florida had a disappointing season, did he get hurt or something?

The whole team kinda sucked but holy crap if he falls top bottom half of the first id be okay with Miami grabbing him

And Hargreaves is looking mighty amazing but if you watch a Florida cb cover like that you'd swear you're watching tape on Haden.

Minus the press coverage. Purifoy has more top end but he's nowhere as strong as Haden

Amy Pole Her fucked around with this message at 21:33 on Jan 6, 2014

Cash Monet
Apr 5, 2009

Roasted Donut posted:

translated for all the dummys that only watch the nfl or late bowl games: johnny football is unequivocally the best qb in this draft and it isn't even close

That's a tad damning with faint praise.

Granted, I only watch bowl games and the high profile match ups during the season, but you have to wonder about him. I feel like we're gonna be describing his play with "Good Johnny" or "Bad Johnny" by the end of the season.

Autistic Speculum
Apr 9, 2009
If Clowney fell to 5th or 6th, would it be possible for the Niners to trade up like the Falcons did in 2011 for Jones? The Niners have a ton of picks, and have a deep roster. In 2011, the Falcons swapped their first rounder (26th), gave up their 2nd, and 4th picks as well as their 2012 1st, and 4th. I think they would need to give up more since Clowney is more regarded than Jones was, but I could see a team like the Raiders really needing extra picks than a top 5 guy.

Amy Pole Her
Jun 17, 2002
I think two firsts two seconds and a 4 would likely be good if you're 25 or so moving up to #6 or so. But hell the whole market is strange.

Vertical Lime
Dec 11, 2004

e: nevermind

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

So I feel like Seastrunk might have had more to gain by coming back to Baylor for his Senior season after losing some time this year to a combination of blowouts and injuries. What says the hivemind?

Coldforge
Oct 29, 2002

I knew it would be bad.

guggs posted:

If Clowney fell to 5th or 6th, would it be possible for the Niners to trade up like the Falcons did in 2011 for Jones? The Niners have a ton of picks, and have a deep roster. In 2011, the Falcons swapped their first rounder (26th), gave up their 2nd, and 4th picks as well as their 2012 1st, and 4th. I think they would need to give up more since Clowney is more regarded than Jones was, but I could see a team like the Raiders really needing extra picks than a top 5 guy.

This would be a very dumb thing to do, though. They're a team already coming up against the salary cap, they need a constant infusion of young (cheap) talent via the draft. They'd cripple themselves by giving up that many draft picks for one player.

Zypher
Sep 3, 2009

Rutgers

Your 2006
Mythical National
Champions!

Ozu posted:

Storm Johnson is also declaring for some reason. His ceiling is maybe a 4th rounder? Probably not a good decision.

He needs to be awesome in the NFL so we can call him Stormaggedon.

Diva Cupcake
Aug 15, 2005

Spiritus Nox posted:

So I feel like Seastrunk might have had more to gain by coming back to Baylor for his Senior season after losing some time this year to a combination of blowouts and injuries. What says the hivemind?
I think he'll probably still be regarded as one of the top 2-3 backs in the draft so it likely doesn't hurt that much. Figure 2nd round-ish.

Democratic Pirate
Feb 17, 2010

Zypher posted:

He needs to be awesome in the NFL so we can call him Stormaggedon.

"And there goes Johnson STORMING through that defensive line for the touchdown!"

"Johnson flashes like lightning up into the secondary!"

"Did you hear that hit when Johnson slammed into the linebacker? It sounded like thunder!"

"Storm Johnson is making it rain in the endzone!"

Aniki
Mar 21, 2001

Wouldn't fit...
Edit: Just realized that I posted about coaches in the draft thread. Oi.

Aniki fucked around with this message at 21:59 on Jan 6, 2014

Blitz of 404 Error
Sep 19, 2007

Joe Biden is a top 15 president

guggs posted:

Hi hello my name is Mark Davis please do this

bobby2times
Jan 9, 2010

Grozz Nuy posted:

JFF on the Jets would be an absurd circus so you know he's just going to end up in Cleveland. Oh god, the Jets are going to be the ones to give the Rams a shitload of picks, aren't they?

If Tannebaum was still GM I'd bet on it, but I think Idzik values draft picks a lot more.

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

damn i'm really in this bitch

Spiritus Nox posted:

RBs need to go as soon as possible end of story

Autistic Speculum
Apr 9, 2009

Coldforge posted:

This would be a very dumb thing to do, though. They're a team already coming up against the salary cap, they need a constant infusion of young (cheap) talent via the draft. They'd cripple themselves by giving up that many draft picks for one player.

That makes sense. I wasn't sure if they would have trouble signing all of the new rookies because of their cap room and the number of picks. But maybe someone at number 5 or 6 would count more against the cap than the rest of the draft combined.

Grozz Nuy
Feb 21, 2008

Welcome to Moonside.

Wecomel to Soonmide.

Moonwel ot cosidme.

guggs posted:

The Niners would never do this, especially not for Clowney when their defensive front seven is the strongest unit on the team.

If Darquize Dennard slips to 10 or so, that's the range where I'd start seriously considering a blockbuster trade up if I ran the Niners. Plus, those extra 4-5 slots are huge when it comes to the amount of capital you have to give up. Moving from the late 20s to somewhere between 10-12 probably wouldn't require them to give up a future first, especially since they have like four second day picks to work with.

PrinceRandom
Feb 26, 2013

Grozz Nuy posted:

Motherfucker. I really liked him for the Niners, I was hoping we'd be able to move up to the middle of the first like we did for Reid and snag him.

Give me Gilbert in round 1 and one of Matthews/Adams/Landry in round 2, I guess.

Nooo... Well maybe I can cheer for Jets easier than Browns...

zimbomonkey
Jul 15, 2008

Tattoos? On MY black quarterback?

AAA DOLFAN posted:

The whole team kinda sucked but holy crap if he falls top bottom half of the first id be okay with Miami grabbing him

And Hargreaves is looking mighty amazing but if you watch a Florida cb cover like that you'd swear you're watching tape on Haden.

Minus the press coverage. Purifoy has more top end but he's nowhere as strong as Haden

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap2000000291753/article/loucheiz-purifoys-season-left-more-questions-than-answers

Apparently his drop in production is the real issue. I do remember watching him with super high expectations and being less than impressed.

John Brown
Jul 10, 2009

If he runs at least a 4.4 flat he'll be fine. The combine is a very weird thing.

Autistic Speculum
Apr 9, 2009

Grozz Nuy posted:

The Niners would never do this, especially not for Clowney when their defensive front seven is the strongest unit on the team.

If Darquize Dennard slips to 10 or so, that's the range where I'd start seriously considering a blockbuster trade up if I ran the Niners. Plus, those extra 4-5 slots are huge when it comes to the amount of capital you have to give up. Moving from the late 20s to somewhere between 10-12 probably wouldn't require them to give up a future first, especially since they have like four second day picks to work with.

Is it likely they go for a CB with their first pick? They still have Culliver, Rodgers, Brown, and Brock under contract next year, right?

The Notorious ZSB
Apr 19, 2004

I SAID WE'RE NOT GONNA BE FUCKING SUCK THIS YEAR!!!

Figured since the season was over I might chime in on some thoughts about the Hokies headed to the draft. Those that know better should feel free to correct me or whatever.

Logan Thomas (SR, QB) is probably the most well known/criticized player coming off our team and entering the draft after being a starter for 3 years and staying with the team for a full 5. I fully believe with real coaching for more than just the final year of his eligibility he'd be viewed more favorably, but it's hard to argue that without some of the best Hokies in program history around him he wasn't special enough to make magic from next to nothing the past 2 years. Imo he's going to be a good NFL QB if the team that drafts him gives him a year or two to develop under real coaching which he was sorely lacking until this past season. He makes throws that physically a lot of guys just aren't capable of and there is no replacing that, I think the footwork and mental side of it will come together with the right coach. He's very tough to pull down and he's mobile enough to be dangerous as a runner (although as the primary runner I think it wore him down the past 2 seasons). The only guy I'd place a bet on for when/where he gets drafted honestly, I would bet just based on pure speculation that Bruce Arians & the Cardinals take him in the 2nd or 3rd round. QB physical talent is always over valued, and Arians loves the deep ball which Logan is really quite good at throwing (plus that VT connection). He can have a year or 2 behind Palmer before he'd need to start. Seems like a fit to me, but I could be horribly off.

He's literally the only player on offense worth talking about/leaving. Andrew Miller graduates, but none of our linemen have really stuck around in the NFL outside of Duane Brown, maybe with Coach Grimes in place that could change down the road. The rest of these guys are all on defense from a top 10 defense this past season (#1 for most of the year in the F +/- ratings fwiw).

Antone Exum (SR, CB/S). Exum didn't really get to play this year thanks to a horrific leg injury, how much of a pro career he has depends on how that continues to heal. Lots of potential in that when healthy he became a lock down guy with the size and speed to run with anyone which is a rare commodity. Whether he gets that back in time for the combine and work outs I imagine will go a long way to where/if he gets drafted. I can't see him getting picked sooner than the 5th round though, and I expect he'll got UDFA with the injury and moves in his career from Nickelback to Saftey to Corner.

Kyle Fuller (SR, CB). Personally if he could stay healthy I think Fuller is an end of the 1st round talent. Our defense was totally different when he was on the field for the better, he played a lot of roles including whip/nickel against the run over the past 2 years. He isn't a pick machine, but guys were rarely open on him, and he's an outstanding open field tackler who doesn't mind getting in on the run game. I think he's really smart and was excellent until his injury this year effectively shutting down half the field. I guess he isn't physically elite, but he's smart and was rarely not in position to make plays (see his game against Alabama to start the year). I'm assuming he gets drafted after 4 years of productive play, but the injuries the past 2 years will force him to slip down I'd guess to the 3rd or 4th round.

Derrick Hopkins (SR, DT). He was a force on the inside the entire year, I'm not sure anyone on our defense played a better year than he did. Blocked a kick in the Marshall game to keep us alive, and almost returned a strip fumble for a score. He ate up blocks and penetrated the backfield like a monster in every game. He had some good play from his partner Luther Maddy who may also choose to go pro (kinda thinking he doesn't, but who knows), but when he was on the field very little made it through the interior of the line. I don't know how high he'll get drafted, but from my untrained eye he's the guy that deserves to go first from our team based on his play, athleticism, and size.

James Gayle (SR, DE). He bulked up in 2012 to get stronger against the run and wasn't as great a pass rusher. His stats won't say that the his slightly faster trimmer self in 2013 was better but he was in on a bunch of plays. He couldn't quite get to the QB for the sack, but he generated a lot of pressure and was a generally sound player against the run. IMO he didn't quite live up to his or the coach's billing as the potential sack machine we've really missed since Jason Worilds left for the NFL, but he was a tenacious player. I can't fault the effort, but I'm not sure where he fits in the NFL as either a 3-4 OLB or a smaller 4-3 end. I imagine he's going to test well in work outs which will help, but I think it'll take a place that sees a fit for him to be more than a generic guy in the NFL sadly. I think his athleticism will keep him on draft boards, but I couldn't guess where he could be drafted; surprise 2nd rounder like Worilds or all the way down to the 5-7 range.

JR Collins (SR, DE). He was the bigger of our 2 starting DEs and played with good technique and effort after a year where he was almost booted from the team. He was good, but rarely stood out after a fantastic first 4 games of the season. Not sure why he wasn't more noticeable, but I get the feeling he would be a late round guy too if he gets drafted at all.

Jack Tyler (SR, MLB). I don't think he has the range or athleticism to be an NFL player, but he's a good example of our walk on efforts, and was our leading tackler the past 2 years. He's a good blitzer and run stuffer, but his coverage ability is just not enough at the next level. I'd be surprised if he got drafted based on that merit alone.

Tariq Edwards (SR, OLB). After 2011 (see our L to Michigan for him ballin out) I figured he might be our first LB since James Anderson (I loved Hall and Adibi but they were small for the NFL) to really have a shot at NFL time because he's got the size and had the speed as well as the instincts. He had a nasty leg injury that sidelined him in 2012 and while he was very good this year I don't think he was or will be his former self. He can cover, blitz, run support do everything I think you need a 4-3 OLB to do, but I don't feel like he's dynamic enough anymore to be a decent pick. Wouldn't surprise me if he wasn't drafted at all.

Could also see our SS Kyshoen Jarrett come out and enter the draft, but I doubt he will. I can't see his grade being higher than the 3rd-5th round. His coverage instincts are still developing, better this year than last, but I think he could use another year to refine that part of his game.

DBU continues as I'm sure at least Kyle Fuller gets drafted, and maybe Exum too. I think at least 3-4 guys are going to be drafted off this team. None of them will be 1st or probably even 2nd rounders though when all is said and done; be it from injury history, or athletic limitations. I'd love to get some feed back from more knowledgeable folks as well, kinda figured it was worth a little of my time since I watch all the Hokie games and get a lot of chances to see them do their thing.

Grozz Nuy
Feb 21, 2008

Welcome to Moonside.

Wecomel to Soonmide.

Moonwel ot cosidme.

guggs posted:

Is it likely they go for a CB with their first pick? They still have Culliver, Rodgers, Brown, and Brock under contract next year, right?

Culliver and Brock will be back, but Brown's a free agent (and turned down the extension they offered him during the season, which they eventually gave to Brock instead) and Rogers will likely at least have to restructure his deal to stay on the team as he's got a pretty big cap hit and hasn't been a top shelf player since 2011. Plus, Whitner's a free agent as well so if he and/or Brown walk and Rogers gets cut they need at least one, possibly two DBs to fill out their starting rotation. It's maybe not as obvious a need as the WR situation (provided they can't bring back Boldin), but I like the WR depth in this class a lot more than the CB depth so I'd prefer they take the CB first.

creamcorn
Oct 26, 2007

automatic gun for fast, continuous firing

Grozz Nuy posted:

Ifo on the Niners would have been awesome, he was a year behind me in high school. Cool guy.

Coldforge
Oct 29, 2002

I knew it would be bad.

guggs posted:

Is it likely they go for a CB with their first pick?

Almost certainly. At this point (which is very early), my dream draft for the 49ers would be something like this through the first three rounds:

1. Loucheiz Purifoy, CB
2. Aaron Donald, DT/DE (from KC)
2. Jared Abbredaris, WR
3. EJ Gaines, CB (from TEN)
3. Calvin Pryor, S

WR is a need, but DB is far more pressing.

Coldforge fucked around with this message at 23:09 on Jan 6, 2014

LiquidFriend
Apr 5, 2005

The Notorious ZSB posted:

Logan Thomas (SR, QB) is probably the most well known/criticized player coming off our team and entering the draft after being a starter for 3 years and staying with the team for a full 5. I fully believe with real coaching for more than just the final year of his eligibility he'd be viewed more favorably, but it's hard to argue that without some of the best Hokies in program history around him he wasn't special enough to make magic from next to nothing the past 2 years. Imo he's going to be a good NFL QB if the team that drafts him gives him a year or two to develop under real coaching which he was sorely lacking until this past season. He makes throws that physically a lot of guys just aren't capable of and there is no replacing that, I think the footwork and mental side of it will come together with the right coach. He's very tough to pull down and he's mobile enough to be dangerous as a runner (although as the primary runner I think it wore him down the past 2 seasons). The only guy I'd place a bet on for when/where he gets drafted honestly, I would bet just based on pure speculation that Bruce Arians & the Cardinals take him in the 2nd or 3rd round. QB physical talent is always over valued, and Arians loves the deep ball which Logan is really quite good at throwing (plus that VT connection). He can have a year or 2 behind Palmer before he'd need to start. Seems like a fit to me, but I could be horribly off.
Logan Thomas is destined to be making a position change back to Tight End.

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌

LiquidFriend posted:

Logan Thomas is destined to be making a position change back to Tight End.

I can see what he's saying but Thomas just doesn't look comfortable passing the ball. He's got a monstrous arm but has almost no QB ability.

Maybe with coaching he could be a QB much in the same vein as Tebow, but he's much better off turning into a TE or even a WR.

A Pale Horse
Jul 29, 2007

So any of you draftniks who know Tedford, which QB would fit his system the best?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌

A Pale Horse posted:

So any of you draftniks who know Tedford, which QB would fit his system the best?

The ones that will probably bust

• Locked thread