Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Cash Monet
Apr 5, 2009

John Brown posted:

The blonde girl is pretty much eye-loving him. The troubles of being a star QB

Fowler?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

I got a taste for blown saves

Benne posted:

Dane Brugler is mocking Bortles to the Texans. Worth noting that he was the first guy to call Eric Fisher at No. 1 last year.

http://t.co/DkdHCzNzS5

:stonk:

Though to be fair he's not mocking it, he's just saying it would make sense if they took him

Toymachine
Jul 2, 2007

Warning - Posts created under the influence of Codeine and/or Skittles
If Clowney is there at #5 for the Raiders to take I don't see any chances of them trading out of the pick. Dude can resurrect the defense by himself and they haven't had any dominant defensive players since Nnamdi.

Coldforge
Oct 29, 2002

I knew it would be bad.
I didn't know it would be so stupid.
After hearing a lot of hype over Kelvin Benjamin, I came away from that championship game extremely unimpressed.

Of the WRs I've watched this year, only three would seem to fit the 49ers' needs (and be realistically available): Jared Abbrederis, Jordan Matthews and Davante Adams. I could also see Robert Herron, if he falls late enough. Really looking forward to the E/W game and Senior Bowl, hopefully some more will stand out.

Nawid
Mar 27, 2011

Toymachine posted:

If Clowney is there at #5 for the Raiders to take I don't see any chances of them trading out of the pick. Dude can resurrect the defense by himself and they haven't had any dominant defensive players since Nnamdi.
I believe DJ will be the next Charles Woodson.

Sataere
Jul 20, 2005

Step 1: Start fight
Step 2: Attack straw man
Step 3: REPEAT

Do not engage with me

Dexo posted:

Don't care about Scheme. Just give me a defense that doesn't give up 5 yards a carry.

Also gently caress if Clowney falls to the Lions

I don't really care about scheme so much as doing it right. Switching schemes because you are trying to salvage Shea McClellin would not be doing it right. :v:

Also, no way he would make it that far. Even in a hypothetical where he came close, teams would trade up to stop the Lions. poo poo, Emery has shown he'll trade up for talent already.

You guys are being a bit hard on his draft so far. You act like the sky is falling because in his second draft class, there are not enough studs, ignoring the fact that he already has one All-Pro receiver and a legit stud on the offensive line. Frey was a decent slot corner this year. And while our linebackers were mostly bad, they were rookies, and you can't say they haven't shown big play potential.

wandler20
Nov 13, 2002

How many Championships?

Coldforge posted:

After hearing a lot of hype over Kelvin Benjamin, I came away from that championship game extremely unimpressed.

He certainly didn't have his best game. I'm pretty sure he's coming out though because he's like 25 already. He has improved A LOT this season though but still drops some balls.

Grozz Nuy
Feb 21, 2008

Welcome to Moonside.

Wecomel to Soonmide.

Moonwel ot cosidme.

Coldforge posted:

Of the WRs I've watched this year, only three would seem to fit the 49ers' needs (and be realistically available): Jared Abbrederis, Jordan Matthews and Davante Adams. I could also see Robert Herron, if he falls late enough. Really looking forward to the E/W game and Senior Bowl, hopefully some more will stand out.

I like Allen Robinson and Jarvis Landry in addition to Matthews and Adams, haven't watched any of Abbrederis at all.

Relentlessboredomm
Oct 15, 2006

It's Sic Semper Tyrannis. You said, "Ever faithful terrible lizard."

Coldforge posted:

He reminds me of Braylon Edwards. Tons of physical talent, makes circus catches, completely whiffs on easy poo poo.

Coldforge
Oct 29, 2002

I knew it would be bad.
I didn't know it would be so stupid.

Grozz Nuy posted:

I like Allen Robinson and Jarvis Landry in addition to Matthews and Adams, haven't watched any of Abbrederis at all.

He's worth watching. Excellent route runner, good hands, fast w/good size, great downfield blocker. Hasn't been hyped much because his QB is awful.

http://draftbreakdown.com/?s=jared+abbrederis

Here he is going up against Roby:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Szwx3JoMQik&t=94s

Coldforge fucked around with this message at 08:02 on Jan 7, 2014

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN

Intruder posted:

:stonk:

Though to be fair he's not mocking it, he's just saying it would make sense if they took him

Well I meant "mocking" as in "mock draft", not literally mocking the pick, but anyway, Brugler is pretty plugged in and worth listening to.

As for Benjamin, I was a bit disappointed by his showing tonight, but I'm not sure how much was his fault given that Jameis slumped for almost 3 quarters. Will have to watch his other games before writing him off.

Benne fucked around with this message at 09:25 on Jan 7, 2014

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

Benne posted:

Well I meant "mocking" as in "mock draft", not literally mocking the pick, but anyway, Brugler is pretty plugged in and worth listening to.

Yeah I knew what you meant. I'm saying it doesn't seem like he thinks the Texans WILL take him, just that he wouldn't be surprised if they did

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌

Benne posted:

I'd be really disappointed in the Texans organization if they already convinced themselves on the pick they should make.

John Brown
Jul 10, 2009

Coldforge posted:

He's worth watching. Excellent route runner, good hands, fast w/good size, great downfield blocker. Hasn't been hyped much because his QB is awful.

http://draftbreakdown.com/?s=jared+abbrederis

Here he is going up against Roby:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Szwx3JoMQik&t=94s

This guy can ball. Don't mean to make the typical racial comparison but he really does look like Jordy Nelson.

fyallm
Feb 27, 2007

College Slice
With the really unimpressive secondary players out there who is Dallas realistically looking at in Rounds 1 and 2? We have so many needs I am guessing a Trent Murphy or Timmy Jernigan? Could Easley possibly fall to us?

No Safe Word
Feb 26, 2005

Doltos posted:

I'd be really disappointed in the Texans organization if they already convinced themselves on the pick they should make.

Given that we don't even have a coaching staff outside of the head coach, I'm gonna guess they don't.

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌

John Brown posted:

This guy can ball. Don't mean to make the typical racial comparison but he really does look like Jordy Nelson.

I guess?

Nelson coming out was a bit skinny but the guy is a total gym rat and has a phenomenal build for a white dude. Abbrederis is kind of skinny for his height and doesn't look like he has the frame of Nelson. I'm actually having a tough time pinning a comparison to the guy since the best one I can come up with is Jeff Maehl, which he's much better than.

A Pale Horse
Jul 29, 2007

Do you guys who know about this stuff think either Mack or Barr could be converted to 4-3 DEs because they're being mocked to the Bucs a lot and I don't think they'd be playing OLB for them.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.

A Pale Horse posted:

Do you guys who know about this stuff think either Mack or Barr could be converted to 4-3 DEs because they're being mocked to the Bucs a lot and I don't think they'd be playing OLB for them.

Lovie loves fast dudes at DE. Julius Peppers is just a goddamn freak, but usually Lovie uses guys around 260-265 at DE.

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

Doltos posted:

I guess?

Nelson coming out was a bit skinny but the guy is a total gym rat and has a phenomenal build for a white dude.

Tell me about his rear end and thighs

A Pale Horse
Jul 29, 2007

Dexo posted:

Lovie loves fast dudes at DE. Julius Peppers is just a goddamn freak, but usually Lovie uses guys around 260-265 at DE.

They're about 15 pounds light then as they're both listed at 247, but I think both have the size (6'3 and 6'4) to add that kind of weight, hopefully without sacrificing speed.

GOOD TIMES ON METH
Mar 17, 2006

Fun Shoe
Mike Tanier wrote a billion words about the top of the draft next year: http://miketanier.sportsonearthblog.com/five-draft-day-top-five-scenarios/

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Remember how good you are
Taco Defender

fyallm posted:

With the really unimpressive secondary players out there who is Dallas realistically looking at in Rounds 1 and 2? We have so many needs I am guessing a Trent Murphy or Timmy Jernigan? Could Easley possibly fall to us?

It is impossible to tell this early before the draft, and extremely difficult to predict based on where the team is drafting.

Not the answer you wanted, but the correct one.

Grozz Nuy
Feb 21, 2008

Welcome to Moonside.

Wecomel to Soonmide.

Moonwel ot cosidme.

fyallm posted:

Easley had a bad knee injury so he could feasibly take a tumble.

buddhanc
Feb 16, 2010

Henry Josey, running back out of Mizzou, is entering the draft.

LiquidFriend
Apr 5, 2005

buddhanc posted:

Henry Josey, running back out of Mizzou, is entering the draft.
Was expected that he would.

Wasn't quite the same RB before his knee injury, but was still a really good runner. I think he'd be a great pick up in the 3rd day of the draft.

ZenVulgarity
Oct 9, 2012

I made the hat by transforming my zen

How much does playing well in a bowl game change someone's draft stock?

fyallm
Feb 27, 2007

College Slice

TheChirurgeon posted:

It is impossible to tell this early before the draft, and extremely difficult to predict based on where the team is drafting.

Not the answer you wanted, but the correct one.

Yeah, I just was curious because I hadn't really started looking into other teams needs yet.

quote:

Easley had a bad knee injury so he could feasibly take a tumble.

Yeah I remember the ACL tear and was hoping it would keep some teams away, but I remember him being a beast

Blitz of 404 Error
Sep 19, 2007

Joe Biden is a top 15 president

ZenVulgarity posted:

More extreme both ways than it should be

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Taco Defender

ZenVulgarity posted:

Depends on the player and their position. It has the biggest effect on QBs. A good bowl game shot Jamarcus Russell's stock up to #1.

Zypher
Sep 3, 2009

Rutgers

Your 2006
Mythical National
Champions!

TheChirurgeon posted:

Depends on the player and their position. It has the biggest effect on QBs. A good bowl game shot Jamarcus Russell's stock up to #1.

Same with Vince Young. Without that Rose Bowl, Leinart would probably have been the first QB off the board.

Accident Underwater
Oct 21, 2005

You look like a star!
Did Teo fall because of the championship game or was that combine/imaginary girlfriend stuff?

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Taco Defender

Accident Underwater posted:

Did Teo fall because of the championship game or was that combine/imaginary girlfriend stuff?

a lot from column A, a little from column B. I don't think teams cared as much about the girlfriend stuff as they did his poor bowl game performance against a team with close to pro-level talent.

A lot of it is going to depend on the type of competition you're up against. For lesser conferences or schools with lighter schedules, bowl games are important because that's where you're up against a good team. Also for players coming out early. AJ McCarron's bowl game performance this year probably didn't matter one bit. Manziel's probably mattered a lot.

VVV Yeah but it's not clear that teams did that (called him overrated) when it started being repeated among "scouts" and media sources, or if they did, if they meant it or if it was meant to drive his stock down so he'd be available later on, which seems like the more likely scenario.

TheChirurgeon fucked around with this message at 21:14 on Jan 7, 2014

Febreeze
Oct 24, 2011

I want to care, butt I dont

Accident Underwater posted:

Both really. His performance in the Championship started the doubts running and then the whole girlfriend thing called his mental aspects into question. His combine performance was just a cherry and everyone started saying "he was always overrated"

Sataere
Jul 20, 2005

Step 1: Start fight
Step 2: Attack straw man
Step 3: REPEAT

Do not engage with me

I wonder if it really does have a major impact. The media surely drives that narrative and I suspect some of the dumber franchises buy into the whole "performing on a big stage" aspect of the process, but I suspect most teams look at the entire body of work. I'd love to see a study on the projections of certain players before their bowl game, their performance in said bowl, and where they ended up getting drafted. I imagine it would be an interesting study.

buddhanc
Feb 16, 2010

Auburn's left tackle, Greg Robinson, is declaring for the draft.

e- Also, Josh Stewart, wide receiver from Oklahoma State.

buddhanc fucked around with this message at 21:38 on Jan 7, 2014

John Brown
Jul 10, 2009

TheChirurgeon posted:

The opposite of this had to be Troy Smith. To be fair, he probably was going in the 2nd round before the NCG, but that single performance killed any momentum he could have had. Honestly it wasn't really his fault. His oline was atrocious against Florida and those DEs had him running for dear life from the very first series. It was like a foreshadow of Hawaii vs Georgia.

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

Greg Robinson is going to have a monstrous workout (and to be fair, he's also been pretty dominant in college). I could easily see him as the second tackle taken after Jake Matthews...he's probably going top 10.

OperaMouse
Oct 30, 2010

Doltos posted:

I guess?

Nelson coming out was a bit skinny but the guy is a total gym rat and has a phenomenal build for a white dude. Abbrederis is kind of skinny for his height and doesn't look like he has the frame of Nelson. I'm actually having a tough time pinning a comparison to the guy since the best one I can come up with is Jeff Maehl, which he's much better than.

http://www.footballoutsiders.com/futures/2013/futures-jared-abbrederis-vs-bradley-roby

Article on Abbrederis vs Roby.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌

Kirios posted:

Greg Robinson is going to have a monstrous workout (and to be fair, he's also been pretty dominant in college). I could easily see him as the second tackle taken after Jake Matthews...he's probably going top 10.

I see a bunch of mocks putting him in the top 15 and I'd agree with it. The dudes a monster.

ZenVulgarity posted:

I've had a theory that bowl games set the mood for the combine. I feel like the players who do the best in their bowl games have all the scouts really pouring over them once they get to Indianapolis. So the bowl games don't necessarily make or break someone, but they do make them popular at the next step of the process. Mind you teams only have X amount of interviews and they're probably going to spend them on guys who they've watched the most.

• Locked thread