Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
fan of the browns
Apr 6, 2012

my enemy...
the enemy of every human who has ever lived...
this is the life-force that watches over the Dinosaurs.
Is it me or did it go from an uniquely deep QB draft to an average QB draft really quickly?

Originally, the assumption was Bridgewater, Mariota, Hundley, Manziel, Bortles, and Carr were all declaring giving a buyer's choice option.

I feel like with Hundley and Mariota staying we're left with a much more average draft at QB, numbers-wise (not necessarily talent-wise but it could be both).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zypher
Sep 3, 2009

Rutgers

Your 2006
Mythical National
Champions!
Mettenberger and Murray are still around, albeit worse for the wear

Edit: and Boyd and Fales

Zypher fucked around with this message at 00:13 on Jan 8, 2014

A Pale Horse
Jul 29, 2007

Zypher posted:

Mettenberger and Murray are still around, albeit worse for the wear

Any team that takes those guys before the 4th at the earliest is pretty drat stupid. They're not really top talent to begin with and with their injury concerns they're out of the top talent running altogether. Still rather have Murray than McCarron though.

Coldforge
Oct 29, 2002

I knew it would be bad.
I didn't know it would be so stupid.

MonsterWalk posted:

Is it me or did it go from an uniquely deep QB draft to an average QB draft really quickly?

Originally, the assumption was Bridgewater, Mariota, Hundley, Manziel, Bortles, and Carr were all declaring giving a buyer's choice option.

I feel like with Hundley and Mariota staying we're left with a much more average draft at QB, numbers-wise (not necessarily talent-wise but it could be both).

David Fales is being criminally overlooked. Doesn't have a huge arm, but makes quick reads and good decisions, and knows when to take risks. He's basically Andy Dalton without the "suck" coinflip.

fan of the browns
Apr 6, 2012

my enemy...
the enemy of every human who has ever lived...
this is the life-force that watches over the Dinosaurs.
I feel like the Good Andy/Bad Andy coinflip is his defining characteristic.

No Irish Need Imply
Nov 30, 2008

Coldforge posted:

David Fales is being criminally overlooked. Doesn't have a huge arm, but makes quick reads and good decisions, and knows when to take risks. He's basically Andy Dalton without the "suck" coinflip.
We'll take him!

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Aw hunny, these came out GREAT!
i am so glad T'eo fell

PrinceRandom
Feb 26, 2013

So how often do "character issue" concerns play out? I know there are notable cases but is it actually a risk when drafting prospects?

The Puppy Bowl
Jan 31, 2013

A dog, in the house.

*woof*

ROSS MY SALAD posted:

i am so glad T'eo fell
And Keenan Allen.

I'm pretty sure the Ravens will never again draft a pass catcher in the first.

Diva Cupcake
Aug 15, 2005

ROSS MY SALAD posted:

i am so glad T'eo fell
Eh. I admittedly haven't watched much Chargers this year but it doesn't appear like he played all that great. No mention in either PFF's or Kiper's year end rookie rankings.

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

He got hurt in training camp and didn't start until week 4 or 5, but he's gotten stronger as the season has gone along. Admittedly he said in the middle of the season that the game was so much faster than the college game, but I think he has a bright future.

Regnevelc
Jan 12, 2003

I'M A GROWN ASS MAN!

Coldforge posted:

So tackle in first. Fales in 2nd. Get at me!

E: Arizona is looking at Brandon Albert and Eugene Monroe this offseason. If they grab one of them, it'll open up a ton of options for Arizona in the first. OLB and Safety would be safe bets outside of QB.

Regnevelc fucked around with this message at 02:32 on Jan 8, 2014

Coldforge
Oct 29, 2002

I knew it would be bad.

Regnevelc posted:

So tackle in first. Fales in 2nd. Get at me!

He'd actually be a really good fit for Arizona, with the receivers they have, and being able to sit behind/compete with Palmer for a year (plus Arians). Scary.

edit: Being from San Jose State, he may even fall to the third or later. Small school with "weak" competition. Viewed as having regressed this year, though it was more likely because they lost their best offensive lineman, their best tight end and their HC in the off-season, and their top receiver to injury.

Coldforge fucked around with this message at 00:53 on Jan 8, 2014

Diva Cupcake
Aug 15, 2005

Heh. Tony Pauline is now mocking Bortles to the Texans.

@TonyPauline
Top 10 Mock Draft posted: Bortles to the Texans- let the outrage begin:
http://www.draftinsider.net/blog/?p=9170

quote:

This represents more than just the flavor of the day. Bortles has the physical skills and mental capacity to lead a franchise at the next level as well as too much upside to pass up. Bortles is also a Bill O’Brien type of passer and Houston is a franchise in desperate need of a signal caller. The owner would prefer Johnny Manziel, hence the comments about trading this pick but Bortles is a clear cut favorite.

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

I have been trying to mentally condition myself to like the Bortles pick for the last week now

It's not going well

The Collector
Aug 9, 2011

I've seen things you people wouldn't believe.
Rats raining down in the night during the Stanley Cup finals.
All those moments will be lost in time, like tears in rain.
Pillbug
I want Johnny Football to be a raider so bad. Even if he busts i'll be glad we took the risk at least.

Real Name Grover
Feb 13, 2002

Like corn on the cob
Fan of Britches
Manziel in Oakland is too perfect not to happen.

Scarf
Jun 24, 2005

On sight

Real Name Grover posted:

Manziel in Oakland is too perfect not to happen.

How long of a commute would it be from Beverly Hills?

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

A Pale Horse posted:

Any team that takes those guys before the 4th at the earliest is pretty drat stupid. They're not really top talent to begin with and with their injury concerns they're out of the top talent running altogether. Still rather have Murray than McCarron though.
I don't think Mettenberger's stock will be impacted much. Any QB not taken in the 1st rd is going to be redshirted no matter what, and Zach is a throwback pocket passer with a great arm and prototypical measurables, who took a major leap forward this year under Cam Cameron. I expect him to be a 2nd day selection simply because a team will talk themselves into it, and I am thinking of teams that have established QBs already, like Pittsburgh or Arizona. If he isn't, some team's gonna be really happy with what they get on that third day. Or he'll interview poorly or something, I dunno.

CBS Sports:

quote:

While scouts see Mettenberger as a potential first round talent, clubs may be unwilling to pull the trigger on him until the second or even third round.
Adam Caplan:

quote:

ESPN's Adam Caplan added Mettenberger should be able to throw during LSU's pro day in March. The NFL insider added he doesn't think Mettenberger's draft projection will drop "all that much," because the quarterback tends to stick to the pocket. The injury was to the quarterback's lead left leg. Caplan thinks there is still a chance Mettenberger is selected in the first-round.
Grantland:

quote:

It being early January, guessing where players are likely to fall in May is still a bit tough, but someone like Derek Carr or Zach Mettenberger could possibly still be on the board when the draft gets into the 20s.

Murray never had NFL size and his athleticism is impacted by the ACL tear. I don't really think there's a good comparison between Murray and Mettenberger other than them both having a similar injury.

The 7th Guest fucked around with this message at 03:23 on Jan 8, 2014

Arschlochkind
Mar 29, 2010

:stare:

Intruder posted:

I have been trying to mentally condition myself to like the Bortles pick for the last week now

It's not going well

Well at least we'd have a monopoly on Bort jokes until they're run into the ground approximately a week before week 1. :shrug:

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Scarf posted:

How long of a commute would it be from Beverly Hills?

9-10 hours

Zypher
Sep 3, 2009

Rutgers

Your 2006
Mythical National
Champions!
A little less than that but yeah

Though a private jet would probably make it ~3

Coldforge
Oct 29, 2002

I knew it would be bad.

50 minutes from Bob Hope to Oakland.

e:fb

vvvvv I don't know why you feel the need to argue this, Crazy, but http://howlongflight.com/burbank-oakland/ You should just be enjoying the feeling of hope right now. vvvvvvv

Coldforge fucked around with this message at 03:38 on Jan 8, 2014

Amy Pole Her
Jun 17, 2002
Something that takes 8 hours of driving will take like a little over an hour in a plane

Amy Pole Her fucked around with this message at 03:32 on Jan 8, 2014

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

PrinceRandom posted:

So how often do "character issue" concerns play out? I know there are notable cases but is it actually a risk when drafting prospects?

I wouldn't have any idea how to put a percentage on it or anything like that, plus that term gets thrown around for everything from getting busted with a joint to being Jerramy Stevens.

It's definitely a risk though, you probably don't want to draft the next Justin Blackmon.

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Remember how good you are
Taco Defender

Grittybeard posted:

I wouldn't have any idea how to put a percentage on it or anything like that, plus that term gets thrown around for everything from getting busted with a joint to being Jerramy Stevens.

It's definitely a risk though, you probably don't want to draft the next Justin Blackmon.

Or the next Aaron Hernandez.

bhsman
Feb 10, 2008

by exmarx

Intruder posted:

It's not going well

I know he has the height and build and arm strength and- oh my God I can't get over his loving name, Jesus. Also, his mechanics turn to poo poo under pressure and all people will want to talk about his girlfriend.

Lancer Zierlein has recently stated that he thinks Manziel will have a better career than Bridgewater. :getin:

PrinceRandom
Feb 26, 2013

Minnesota is the only hope I have of having Manziel go to the NFC right?

PrinceRandom fucked around with this message at 04:00 on Jan 8, 2014

Burginator
Sep 10, 2007

Two ALL BEEF patties,
Special Sauce?
Let Us Cheese.

PrinceRandom posted:

Minnesota is the only hope I have of having Manziel go to the NFC right?

gently caress it, grab him Spielman. At least it would be interesting. Then again, I was sitting here saying #freejoewebb so maybe don't loving listen to me

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.
I want Johnny Football in the NFC North.
I don't care how I just need it done.

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

bhsman posted:

I know he has the height and build and arm strength and- oh my God I can't get over his loving name, Jesus. Also, his mechanics turn to poo poo under pressure and all people will want to talk about his girlfriend.

Lancer Zierlein has recently stated that he thinks Manziel will have a better career than Bridgewater. :getin:

The only thing Lance has ever accomplished besides terrible impressions is breaking the Haynesworth to Washington story because someone told him or, more likely, he guessed and got it right. (I guess he also had some pretty cool breakdowns of play designs when he worked for the Chronicle)

I'm reading this and drooling over Bridgewater even more

http://mmqb.si.com/2014/01/02/teddy-bridgewater-2014-nfl-draft/

SunshineDanceParty
Feb 7, 2006

One Road. Two Friends. One Ass.
I don't actually want Manziel on the Vikings, but after the Ponder and Cassel experience I'm up for anything. I don't think I've cared less about a Vikings team than 2013 edition.

I'm imagining a Hue Jackson offense with Manziel throwing wild bombs to Patterson, Jennings, and Rudolph, all with a better used Peterson. At the very least it's entertaining.

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

Doing read options with Adrian Peterson seems like it would be fun to watch too

The Puppy Bowl
Jan 31, 2013

A dog, in the house.

*woof*
Does anyone here think Kelvin Benjamin or JFF are better than they were 2 weeks ago? The whole of draft media seems to think so. Maybe you can excuse the Manziel bump because he is exciting and an early pick team (go Browns) essentially sent out a press release describing the girth of their hard-on for him. Nothing like that explains Benjamin.

He had the game winning touchdown but overall had a pretty poor game. I really can't understand how the BCS has set him up as the 4th best receiver in a really deep draft.

oldfan
Jul 22, 2007

"Mathewson pitched against Cincinnati yesterday. Another way of putting it is that Cincinnati lost a game of baseball."
Manziel had probably the best bowl performance of any player in the entire bowl season, coming off an injury riddled end to the regular season that pushed him down a little, so sure, his stock should probably have risen. It probably should have been this high to begin with, honestly.

LEGO Genetics
Oct 8, 2013

She growls as she storms the stadium
A villain mean and rough
And the cops all shake and quiver and quake
as she stabs them with her cuffs
I don't know where you guys keep getting Johnny Football for Oakland talk when we'll clearly take Carr the Younger at #5 and continue a tradition of mediocre/bad quarterbacks from Fresno State.

Unfortunately we won't be able to give him shell-shock like Carr the Elder, I'm fairly certain our offensive line is halfway decent.

Coldforge
Oct 29, 2002

I knew it would be bad.

The Puppy Bowl posted:

Does anyone here think Kelvin Benjamin or JFF are better than they were 2 weeks ago? The whole of draft media seems to think so. Maybe you can excuse the Manziel bump because he is exciting and an early pick team (go Browns) essentially sent out a press release describing the girth of their hard-on for him. Nothing like that explains Benjamin.

He had the game winning touchdown but overall had a pretty poor game. I really can't understand how the BCS has set him up as the 4th best receiver in a really deep draft.

He looks like the next coming of Stephen Hill, to me. Runs sloppy routes, drops too many passes, best skill is basically be "be large and fairly fast."

Grozz Nuy
Feb 21, 2008

Welcome to Moonside.

Wecomel to Soonmide.

Moonwel ot cosidme.

Kirios posted:

Greg Robinson is going to have a monstrous workout (and to be fair, he's also been pretty dominant in college). I could easily see him as the second tackle taken after Jake Matthews...he's probably going top 10.

A number of the draft guys I follow on Twitter have said things to the effect of 'I won't be surprised when a significant portion of the league has him above Matthews on their boards'. Sounds like if you want a nasty run-blocking LT he's #1 with a bullet in that regard.

Ozu posted:

Eh. I admittedly haven't watched much Chargers this year but it doesn't appear like he played all that great. No mention in either PFF's or Kiper's year end rookie rankings.

It's worth noting that the +4.2 is the best coverage grade PFF gave out among ILBs. It was supposed to be his strong point coming out of college to be fair, but it's also one of the toughest skills for linebackers to pick up so it gives him a decent amount of value. The rest of it could come with time.

LEGO Genetics posted:

I don't know where you guys keep getting Johnny Football for Oakland talk when we'll clearly take Carr the Younger at #5 and continue a tradition of mediocre/bad quarterbacks from Fresno State.

Unfortunately we won't be able to give him shell-shock like Carr the Elder, I'm fairly certain our offensive line is halfway decent.

I've been seeing a lot of mocks with Carr going to Minnesota. Most seem to have either Bridgewater or Bortles going to Houston, the other going to Jacksonville, and JFF going to Cleveland. The Raiders need a QB for sure but there's so little talent on that roster they could go just about anywhere, and if it's the choice between the fourth QB off the board and the first of almost any other position, I think you could defensibly look elsewhere.

Grozz Nuy fucked around with this message at 06:04 on Jan 8, 2014

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

PrinceRandom posted:

It's the same kind of question as how often does "system concerns" play out? It depends on the prospect. Mallett for example hasn't been in any trouble since he was drafted, Cam has been the model citizen, then you get guys like Maurice Clarett. I think it depends on what the concern is. If you've got a guy who has been popped once for weed it's probably no big deal, just kids being kids and all, but if it's a pattern of recidivism and an obvious problem in the college locker room then you should probably stay away.

Shockey and Sapp had concerns coming out too but teams felt that they would be too good as pros to pass up and they were right. I don't think a team should be as worried or are as worried as some draftniks make out to be, after all you can get guys like Hernandez, Carruth and Vick who seemingly come out of no where to be scum of the earth.

I didn't think Newton's concerns were a big deal when he came out, I didn't think Honey badger's or Mallet's were either mainly because they weren't necessarily indicative of a pattern of bad behaviour. It's not like they were done for a few things, then got arrested then quit on the team, then transferred and did it all again.

It's a crapshoot like anything else. Just a mistake or a real scum bag, team's hire former cops and FBI agents to find that stuff out where they can, but you can never know for sure.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bhsman
Feb 10, 2008

by exmarx

Intruder posted:

I'm reading this and drooling over Bridgewater even more

http://mmqb.si.com/2014/01/02/teddy-bridgewater-2014-nfl-draft/

Yeah, read that a week ago and Teddy owns pretty hard. There was an article from today or yesterday about O'Brien wanting a guy who, like Tom Brady, will just call him up at 9PM on Wednesday asking about third-down passing call, and Teddy sounds exactly like that.

Now imagine us drafting Austin Sefarian-Jenkins to start the second round and we have Andre, DeAndre, Posey, Bonner, and Martin as wideouts and OD, Graham, Griffin, and ASJ as tight ends. :flashfap:

• Locked thread