Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos
He's the most dangerous man in Dorne for crying out loud!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

redreader
Nov 2, 2009

I am the coolest person ever with my pirate chalice. Seriously.

Dinosaur Gum
The books mostly call him DARK STAR. Does he have that sword, or is it languishing somewhere?

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos
Which sword? Arthur Dayne whom everyone always talks about used to wield Dawn which was neither magical nor valyrian steel as far as we know, I don't recall the books mentioning what happened to it but Ned probably delivered it to Ashara.

Are you thinking of Dark Sister? The Targaryen valyrian blade? It was last wielded by Bloodraven when he was hand of the king, its current whereabouts are unknown.

redreader
Nov 2, 2009

I am the coolest person ever with my pirate chalice. Seriously.

Dinosaur Gum
I was thinking of dawn. Not special/magic? Huh.

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos
I read the wiki for it and apparently it's forged of meteorite steel and is just as sharp as valyrian steel so it's a Conan the Barbarian ripoff.

timp
Sep 19, 2007

Everything is in my control
Lipstick Apathy

emanresu tnuocca posted:

Which sword? Arthur Dayne whom everyone always talks about used to wield Dawn which was neither magical nor valyrian steel as far as we know, I don't recall the books mentioning what happened to it but Ned probably delivered it to Ashara.

Are you thinking of Dark Sister? The Targaryen valyrian blade? It was last wielded by Bloodraven when he was hand of the king, its current whereabouts are unknown.

I definitely remember reading that Ned made a trip to Dorne after Tower of Joy in order to return Arthur Dayne's sword to his house after the sack of King's Landing, but I can't remember where I read that.

Ungratek
Aug 2, 2005

It's the discussion when he tells Ashara Dayne about his betrothal to Cat and she throws herself out of the tower.

Yureina
Apr 28, 2013

Yeap. I found this out recently. Really turns me off the Palestinian cause to find out they basically consist entirely of raging racists.
http://winteriscoming.net/2014/01/season-4-casting-notes-roundup/

Well, looks like were gonna have a certain scene at an Inn this upcoming season. I mean we knew that, but looks like Arya will get Needle back too. :)

Other fun stuff in there too, such as it looking like one of Dany's final Season 4 scenes could involve a certain man suffering at the hands of her increasingly crazy dragons.

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

I think about this series when I'm driving, and I just realized that Howland Reed could have thrown a net over the Kingsguard guy that would have killed Ned, allowing Ned to somewhat dishonorably finish him off while he was incapacitated, hence his not wanting to talk about it afterwards.

I've heard it suggested that he momentarily warged into the guy, but that doesn't line up with the idea that Bran is unique in that he can warg people wargs don't believe in it.

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos
I don't think Ned warged into anyone or anything but Bran is definitely not unique in his ability to warg into people, at least not in the novels (in the show Jojen suggests it's unique). Varamyr attempts to warg into that wildling lady and it is pretty clear from his chapter that other skingchangers could and would warg into humans and it happened enough times for other skinchangers to view it as 'the greatest abomination'.

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

Yeah I edited that part out after a quick check reminded me that the show and the books are different.

Speaking of Howland, a Reddit poster suggested that maybe Dayne mortally wounded Reed, who then warged into his body to flee death, which would explain his self seclusion.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.

timp posted:

I definitely remember reading that Ned made a trip to Dorne after Tower of Joy in order to return Arthur Dayne's sword to his house after the sack of King's Landing, but I can't remember where I read that.
Ned made that trip and Ashara Dayne threw herself off of a tower shortly thereafter. Why he made the trip and what made Ashara kill herself are unknown and hotly debated by other characters.

Marijuana
May 8, 2011

Go lick a dog's ass til it bleeds.

CapnAndy posted:

Ned made that trip and Ashara Dayne threw herself off of a tower shortly thereafter. Why he made the trip and what made Ashara kill herself are unknown and hotly debated by other characters.

Ashara died a comic book death, too. Her body was never found (because she's still alive).

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver

Marijuana posted:

Ashara died a comic book death, too. Her body was never found (because she's still alive).
((because she's Septa Lamore.))

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos
Wouldn't Tyrion have said something about the violet eyes at some point? Not buying the Lemore = Ashara theory. Her descriptions seem to indicate that the real mystery is whose mother she is.

Yureina
Apr 28, 2013

Yeap. I found this out recently. Really turns me off the Palestinian cause to find out they basically consist entirely of raging racists.

emanresu tnuocca posted:

Wouldn't Tyrion have said something about the violet eyes at some point? Not buying the Lemore = Ashara theory. Her descriptions seem to indicate that the real mystery is whose mother she is.

I figured she was Fake Aegon's mother. But perhaps not.

chellesandcheese
Jul 12, 2005

Yureina posted:

I figured she was Fake Aegon's mother. But perhaps not.

I like the theory that she's the septa that gave birth to Tyene, honestly.

Ballz
Dec 16, 2003

it's mario time

GRRM has a new sample chapter on his website! :woop:

It's for Wild Cards, bitches.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Ballz posted:

GRRM has a new sample chapter on his website! :woop:

It's for Wild Cards, bitches.

Oh you son of a bitch...

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

He doesn't actually write the Wildcards stuff himself, right?

Because that would be a serious case of not knowing bread/butter/side etc

BrooklynBruiser
Aug 20, 2006

Professor Shark posted:

He doesn't actually write the Wildcards stuff himself, right?

Because that would be a serious case of not knowing bread/butter/side etc

It's an anthology written by a bunch of other people that he sort of supervises.

Oh, no wait, I mean, HURF DURF GURM WILD CARDS FAT OLD NO NEW ASOIAF HURF DURF

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

CapnAndy posted:

It's obviously because Ned turned up to take their son, Jon, away from her, only days after he killed her brother. God, don't you guys catch anything? :v:

Anyways, if Gerold has a special sword, he's obviously calling it Dusk. He is of the night, after all.

Beeez
May 28, 2012
Or Earchopper.

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

If you think that, along the way, you're not going to fail... you're blind.

There's no one I've ever met, no matter how successful they are, who hasn't said they had their failures along the way.

Don't you mean "Tyson"?

Toplowtech
Aug 31, 2004

Dark Star is so terribly camp, i am always half expecting him to turn the book into a musical every time his name shows up:
I am vengeance ! I am of the NIGHT ! I AM DARK STAR!
Dark star! (DARK STAR)(DARK STAR) I gave a scar to a princess! (scar to a princessssss)

Beeez
May 28, 2012

Blade_of_tyshalle posted:

Don't you mean "Tyson"?

I considered that, but Tyson took a grown man's ear. Darkstar only chopped up a little girl's face, so he doesn't seem to be on the same level.

BrooklynBruiser
Aug 20, 2006
It's nuts to me how intent people are on making fun of Darkstar, given he's in so little of the book and it's obvious (to me, at least) that the book's making fun of him as much as everyone else is.

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

No it isn't, it's just so bad that it appears to be a parody.

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos

BrooklynBruiser posted:

It's nuts to me how intent people are on making fun of Darkstar, given he's in so little of the book and it's obvious (to me, at least) that the book's making fun of him as much as everyone else is.

Well you see, it's pretty obvious (to everyone else) that you're wrong and that the books want you to think that Darkstar is cool as poo poo, dangerous like hell and sexy as gently caress.

The only things that make Darkstar such a funny character to reminisce about is how he is hailed as 'the most dangerous man in dorne' when his only accomplishment to date is failing to kill an unaware little girl iand the fact that GRRM has been vicariously quoted stating how surprised he is about people not liking Darkstar as he wanted him to basically be the second incarnation of Oberyn Martell.

BrooklynBruiser
Aug 20, 2006

emanresu tnuocca posted:

Well you see, it's pretty obvious (to everyone else) that you're wrong and that the books want you to think that Darkstar is cool as poo poo, dangerous like hell and sexy as gently caress.

Well, I haven't seen any of the GRRM interviews, so I suppose I'm wrong, but when I was reading it was obvious to me that he was supposed to be the guy who's kinda pathetic, but has a pack of sycophantic friends who talk him up to the point that he starts to believe his poo poo doesn't stink.

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

If you think that, along the way, you're not going to fail... you're blind.

There's no one I've ever met, no matter how successful they are, who hasn't said they had their failures along the way.

Doesn't Gerry even have the identical-but-inverse hair to Oberyn? Like, Oberyn has black hair with a white streak and Gerry's is white with a black streak? Or am I just totally pulling things out of my rear end?

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

emanresu tnuocca posted:

The only things that make Darkstar such a funny character to reminisce about is how he is hailed as 'the most dangerous man in dorne' when his only accomplishment to date is failing to kill an unaware little girl iand the fact that GRRM has been vicariously quoted stating how surprised he is about people not liking Darkstar as he wanted him to basically be the second incarnation of Oberyn Martell.
It's really a show-not-tell deal I think. Oberyn was a badass. We saw it. He made the most of every time he appeared on the page, right up to the moment he died. He was also supremely competent and died having fulfilled every one of his goals, especially if you believe the theory that he poisoned Tywin, and I do.

With Darkstar, you hear that he's a badass, and in the very small amount of time he's actually shown on the page he's brooding and reclusive. He succeeds at nothing.

JT Jag fucked around with this message at 23:33 on Jan 9, 2014

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos

BrooklynBruiser posted:

Well, I haven't seen any of the GRRM interviews, so I suppose I'm wrong, but when I was reading it was obvious to me that he was supposed to be the guy who's kinda pathetic, but has a pack of sycophantic friends who talk him up to the point that he starts to believe his poo poo doesn't stink.

Those people he hangs out with in the single chapter he appears in are not his friends, they are Arianne's entourage and she has thinks about how some of them warned her not to let him tag along, later on she also thinks about how hot he is and how they could have the prettiest children in all of Westeros only he's too much of a bad boy to be trusted. In a later chapter she is scolded by Doran for consorting with "The most dangerous man in Dorne" aka Darkstar.

So yeah, no. The books intend you to basically think "Who is that cool bad boy character! I can't wait to hear more about him and find out what he's really up to!"

Blade_of_tyshalle posted:

Doesn't Gerry even have the identical-but-inverse hair to Oberyn? Like, Oberyn has black hair with a white streak and Gerry's is white with a black streak? Or am I just totally pulling things out of my rear end?

Close Enough!

quote:

Gerold Dayne has an aquiline nose, high cheekbones and a strong jaw. He keeps his face clean-shaven. He has thick silver hair that falls to his collar like a silver glacier, divided by a streak of midnight black.

quote:

Oberyn has a lined face with thin eyebrows, black "viper" eyes and a sharp nose.[2] His hair is lustrous and black with only a few silver streaks and recedes from his brow into a widow's peak

emanresu tnuocca fucked around with this message at 23:47 on Jan 9, 2014

Nicol Bolas
Feb 13, 2009

JT Jag posted:

It's really a show-not-tell deal I think. Oberyn was a badass. We saw it. He made the most of every time he appeared on the page, right up to the moment he died. He was also supremely competent and died having fulfilled every one of his goals, especially if you believe the theory that he poisoned Tywin, and I do.

So maybe I'm dense or I missed something, but we keep talking about Oberyn poisoning Tywin. At first I thought it was a typo for Gregor or something but we keep talking about it like it's a thing. Is this a thing? Can someone please explain the thing to me slowly?

Marijuana
May 8, 2011

Go lick a dog's ass til it bleeds.
Darkstar :allears:

Nicol Bolas posted:

So maybe I'm dense or I missed something, but we keep talking about Oberyn poisoning Tywin. At first I thought it was a typo for Gregor or something but we keep talking about it like it's a thing. Is this a thing? Can someone please explain the thing to me slowly?

It's linked in the OP.

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

Nicol Bolas posted:

The theory is that Tywin was a dead man pooping already when Tyrion stepped into his room. The idea was that Tywin was having that massive crap for a reason. And when Tyrion shoots him, he notes that Tywin's bowls smell even worse than expected. Earlier in the book, Oberyn mentions a particular poison that causes a long, excruciating death by blocking up the body's toxins over a period of days, if not weeks, and this is never brought up again.

In It For The Tank
Feb 17, 2011

But I've yet to figure out a better way to spend my time.

Nicol Bolas posted:

- When Jaime returns to King's Landing, he is surprised to hear that Tywin is eating with Mace Tyrell and Oberyn Martell.

- Later, Oberyn pointedly mentions to Tyrion that Tywin might not live forever. A shiver goes down Tyrion's spine.

- Oberyn comments that no one knows more about poison than himself.

- During Tyrion's trial, Pycelle reveals that a poison called Widow's Blood has been stolen from his chambers. He notes that Widow's Blood shuts down the body's bladder and bowels and causes the person to eventually die from constipation.

- At the end of ASOS, Tyrion finds Tywin on the privy. When Tyrion shoot him in the groin, poo poo bursts out.

- At Tywin's funeral, his corpse is almost supernaturally pungent and is visibly rotting even though Tywin has only being dead for a short time.

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos
Apparently the two weirdos from Westeros.org said that that theory is 'utter nonsense' - http://boiledleather.com/post/31921132635/did-oberyn-poison-tywin-the-case-against

Since they're in cahoots with George it might mean that they got it from him, on the other hand those weirdos haven't even read all of the books so if it isn't straight from the George's mouth then their debunk is completely worthless.

emanresu tnuocca fucked around with this message at 00:17 on Jan 10, 2014

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

I prefer to think those people don't exist. She really creeps me out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beeez
May 28, 2012
I just don't understand the point of this being a plot revelation. Like...Tywin's dead and so is Oberyn. There's no reason to reveal he was poisoned. Plus, as is mentioned in that Boiled Leather link, it kinda mucks with their plan for Tywin. The destruction of House Lannister isn't as awesome as an act of vengeance if the man obsessed with their standing who caused the death of the people they're avenging dies while he thinks House Lannister has won.

• Locked thread