Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Chorocojo
Sep 25, 2005

Legendary Enchantment Creature -- Bird God

Asator posted:

Talking about something other than fake eeveelutions (seriously why does that keep coming up), I see we're already getting into senseless roadblocks. We can't get to the garden while looking for Team Plasma because...someone dropped something. As much as I also hate Hugh, wouldn't it make more sense for him to drag you back if you tried to leave or something?

Arbitrarily can't get to the garden. There is nothing in the garden that would hinder you fighting Team Plasma there. The fact that you can instead go get lost in a sewer that is nowhere near Team Plasma is a-ok, however.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kobold
Jan 22, 2008

Centuries of knowledge ingrained into my brain,
and this STILL makes no sense.
Actually, I think it was shortly after here that I lost interest in my copy of Black 2. I've been flip-flopping on starting over again, doing something similar to what I did in Soul Silver and trading in an egg of a new "starter" and running with that. Whenever this thread updates, it makes me think about it again. Would probably trade in a Dunsparse and goof off with that.

Chorocojo
Sep 25, 2005

You can literally catch a Dunsparce on the second route. Therefore, you should use an Exeggcute.

Rabbi Raccoon
Mar 31, 2009

I stabbed you dude!

Chorocojo posted:

You can literally catch a Dunsparce on the second route. Therefore, you should use an Exeggcute.

I've always wanted to give Exeggcute and Exeggutor a shot but their 7 weaknesses turns me off. Are they worth it?

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

Unite: MASH!!
~They've got the bad guys on the run!~

Rabbi Raccoon posted:

I've always wanted to give Exeggcute and Exeggutor a shot but their 7 weaknesses turns me off. Are they worth it?

According to Bulbapedia, their stats aren't terrible, but I've never been able to work with their weird movesets. That Arceusawful speed doesn't help their seven weakness situation, either.

Kobold
Jan 22, 2008

Chorocojo posted:

Oh, huh, must've blanked on that bit. As for the Exeggcute... I used one in the aforementioned Soul Silver! Served me quite well, albeit slightly less useful in person on person battles due to its weaknesses. Hrm. Maybe I'll try a Spheal.

That or maybe just run a theme and try to ultimately make a team of all Steel types and pick one for that... like a Skarmory or something.

Chorocojo
Sep 25, 2005

Rabbi Raccoon posted:

Dancing Palm Tree. Do your dance palm tree. Don't like it's face? just have it turn 45 degrees in either direction. New face. Boom.

Chorocojo fucked around with this message at 03:17 on Jan 8, 2014

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

In gen 1 it was OU. I think it was the best grass type that gen. Not the best Psychic, because Psychic was insane, but still great.

Nowadays, less powerful but still good. Great Special Attack. You can make it hardier with Harvest or faster with Chlorophyll. (Without these abilities, it's defenses are mediocre and it's speed is horrible).

If you have a sun team, he'll pull his weight very well. Stab Psychic and Solarbeam are great. If you don't have a sun team, it might not be worth it. Keep in mind this is competitive talk; Literally any pokemon can contribute to a team in the main game. I've taken Butterfree to the E4 (back in gen 1) and Chorocojo took a :wooper:

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

This avatar now 50% more dark mode compliant

Asator posted:

Talking about something other than fake eeveelutions (seriously why does that keep coming up), I see we're already getting into senseless roadblocks. We can't get to the garden while looking for Team Plasma because...someone dropped something. As much as I also hate Hugh, wouldn't it make more sense for him to drag you back if you tried to leave or something?

B2/W2 are basically the undisputed kings of the senseless roadblock. At some point they started getting so absurd that I just couldn't get mad at it anymore.

Zylo the Wolfbane
Mar 21, 2013
I like Dunsparce, he's a neat pokemon that few people even remember exists. I'm actually sad he doesn't have an evolution by now honestly. He really seems like he should evolve into some sort of giant dragon, or ground serpent or something. It'd be awesome.

Also it's awesome to see Mawile used more, Mawile is amazing, and is easily one of my favorite pokemon introduced in Ruby/Sapphire. She just has a really cool design. I was always confused why she wasn't Dar/Steel though honestly. Always felt like she should have been Dark/Steel just based on her appearance and move set.

Also also, am I the only one who occasionally would just NOT evolve Eevee? Just leave it as an Eevee? I had a level 100 Eevee back in pokemon Gold that just held an Everstone constantly. That little fella did good work I tell ya.

Asator
Oct 21, 2010

Yeah, they eventually get to be utterly bizarre. But this one is one of the first and by far the most pointless, so it annoys me the most.

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

This avatar now 50% more dark mode compliant

Asator posted:

Yeah, they eventually get to be utterly bizarre. But this one is one of the first and by far the most pointless, so it annoys me the most.

Oh, I'm not at all sure about that. :v:

KDavisJr
Jul 17, 2010

A real avatar never dies, even when it's replaced!
I look at Exegggutor and I think while it is pretty good, it's like Alakazam; fallen off a bit since Gen 1 (except Alakazam is much better). Chlorophyll helps that speed a ton though.

Asator
Oct 21, 2010

Yeah, you can argue that other later ones are even more pointless, but most of them are blocking off areas that have been shoved into the postgame, which is a different rant entirely. This one...

Chorocojo posted:

Arbitrarily can't get to the garden. There is nothing in the garden that would hinder you fighting Team Plasma there. The fact that you can instead go get lost in a sewer that is nowhere near Team Plasma is a-ok, however.

That, basically.

Mecheon
Nov 27, 2007

And that was when Ecco realised the world just fucking hates dolphins.
They are teaching the gamers of a new generation to hate and abhor sewers as opposed to do fun stuff with them

If you can think of something fun to do in a sewer please tell a game developer in the hope sewer levels are forever gone

And yeah. One of the later roadblocks just had me stop and stare for a few seconds

majormonotone
Jan 25, 2013

There's one roadblock later in the game that was so meta and unbelievable I immediately took a picture. It's beautiful.

Chorocojo
Sep 25, 2005

#10. A Painting of a Jackal Fighting a Leaf Insect

My friend Burgh seemed fine. Hugh was mad because he's a dipshit.

Yea, gonna go meet him and do that thing we do.

as a Trainer, too!"
What about me as an artist, huh? What about THAT?

- - -

Choro Notes: There is never a point where I will want to use Harden with Grimer. There just isn't.

Music: Castelia City Gym
Choro Notes: Castelia City's arrangement of the gym theme is probably my favorite. It's just so wonderfully . . . insectoid?

the Gym Leader."

"You been drinkin' water? It's good to drink water. This city? Iffy water. Grimers in the pipes. Yuck. Recommending the bottled water. H2O on the go. Whenever you want it. Drink it up. Yum."

He's left his black velvet period and moved into his silk period. Wow. So avant garde.

outrageous and mysterious charms?"
Look clown , I respect most arts but I don't think I'm big on the clownin'. You guys weird me out.

Choro Notes: Sludge is . . . sludge. It is huckin' sludge at the target. It's a special Poison-type move that has a chance of inflicting poison.

O-O-O-O-OVERKILL.

Choro Notes: I'll take Minimize (which increases evasion) over Harden (which increases defense) any day. Minimize has a neat, extra quirk. If you use it and then an opponent uses Stomp or Steamroller you'll take 2x the damage!

What th—

That was . . . somehow horrifying beyond all reason. I feel like a revelation has been made on how people end up as clowns.

*shudders*

Such a flammable little bug . . .

. . . go on.

You just got bigger and pierced your hands! Is that it?!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qg3bwDcbqJM

I'm from Jersey. I do my best work in places with noxious fumes.

battle you."
C'mon, let me brag a little!"

Yeah? Well my—

My guys are . . . Pokémon.

Who said I wasn't proud of 'em, you wanna go?

I'll slap that look right out of ya!

Music: Battle! Unova Gym Leader

Choro Notes: Burgh is the gym leader whose team is most different between regular and challenge mode. He not only gets an additional monster but he switches out his Swadloon for a different one.

It's just a little rock bug, it can't be that tough.

Choro Notes: But . . . Poison is not very effective against Rock-type monsters.

Mine's made of sludge! Literally!

A-ah . . .

Alright Mortimer. Let's see what your new stature gets you.

PUNISH THAT BUG.

Choro Notes: Dwebble does not have this berry normally!

It . . . made its shell smooth? Forget that, just keep smackin' it.

drat . . . Wait, there's an idea.

Choro Notes: Copycat copies the most recently used move.

I-I'm not sure what you just did but you seem faster? Good job. Is this part of your evolution thing?

Heh!

Choro Notes: Karrablast is exclusive to Challenge Mode. He doesn't usually have it. Instead he has a Swadloon.

You're bigger, just finish it quick!

Choro Notes: Aerial Ace is a flying-type move. Had Mortimer not suddenly gained the Steel-type, this would be a notably bad thing.

Here's an idea!

Alright, alright. Almost got it.

What, WHY?

I'm just gonna use Quick Attack again!

Choro Notes: Leavanny is Burgh's ace, like he said. The AI was clever here: by throwing that Endure out I can't Copycat the Aerial Ace and one-shot the 4x-weak-to-flying Leavanny.

Choro Notes: Leavanny only has this in Challenge Mode. It replaces String Shot in the normal game.

Th-that's not good.

We're good, though! I bet Leavanny are just as flammable as they are when they're babies.

Choro Notes: Leavanny also doesn't have this normally, it replaces Cut in its moveset.

Th-th- gently caress.

Steel! Steel can't fail!

Not sharp enough!

I . . . wish that'd dealt more.

A slugfest, a gaddamn slugfest.

Yeah!

. . . WHY DO I KEEP HAVING THIS ISSUE WITH YOU?

Good, good.

. . .

We . . . might be in a pinch.

WAKE UP.

THIS IS GOING SWIMMINGLY.

!

You can air guitar all you want, you're not learning that.

Choro Notes: Burgh doesn't usually have this, either! If they had left Swadloon on the team he'd be way too easy to just burn out.

ANGRY. JACKAL.

Choro Notes: Might as well get one last use out of Leavanny's Aerial Ace, even if Mortimer was the last one to use it.

Choro Notes: Shelmet has a problem, the AI is not sure what to do versus Lucario. Shelmet's only moves are Acid (which is non-effective at all to Lucario), Struggle Bug (which Lucario double resists), Mega Drain (which it normally resists) and Curse. The best option it has is to just keep using Curse. As a result:

JUST GIVE UP.

About time. That battle was . . . a lot tougher than I thought it would be.

. . . very strong . . .

. . . THE gently caress IS THAT SUPPOSED TO MEAN?!

"Umm... That's right. You! Use Bug-type Pokémon!"

Choro Notes: Struggle Bug is the same TM he gave out in Black, it's a weak special Bug-type move that lowers the target's sp.attack a stage.

I . . . haven't even thought about that.

Bug-type Pokémon."
to discover new things."

Huh. Well, Mortimer let's get these other three to a hospital.

quote:

Evolution Hopeful Medal - A Medal for promising Trainers who evolved a Pokémon for the first time.

Chorocojo fucked around with this message at 23:35 on Jan 8, 2014

mateo360
Mar 20, 2012

TOO MANY PEOPLE MERLOCK!
ONLY ONE DIJON!
edit: all fixed now.

mateo360 fucked around with this message at 23:39 on Jan 8, 2014

Siegkrow
Oct 11, 2013

Arguing about Lore for 5 years and counting

Was going to comment that about the air guitar but Mateo360 beat me to the punch.

Edit: Also: BURGH! the most Fabulous gym leader EVER.

Chorocojo
Sep 25, 2005

Yup, that's fixed now

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

Man...the redesign of Burgh's gym is....odd. I mean, the silk cocoons fit into his Bug theme, but it's at the cost of the nice art theme the old design had. Now, all there is to show that art theme are just some paint buckets and colored water in Burgh's...room? Studio?

But, wow. Burgh's team got tougher. I see he dropped his Whirlipede and decided to use some of the other Bug types (at least in Challenge mode) available in Unova.

Kobold
Jan 22, 2008

I dunno. Whirlipede's good Poke-mans, as has been shown in the previous LP.
Choro, you mentioned Harden is something you'd never use on a Grimer/Muk... would Acid Armor fall under that category as well? Or does it get some redemption in the fact that it's a sharp raise instead of just a single stage one? Though, I guess that also depends on if you keep Gluu around long enough to use it. Used one as an alternate starter for one of the games, had quite some fun with it.

Rose Spirit
Nov 4, 2010

:33 < APEX PURREDATOR
IMO this design is infinitely better than the weird honeycomb thing from BW1. Having my character coated in honey doesn't seem like the most fun way to have a Pokemon battle. Plus the colorful paint makes a nice contrast from the stark white cocoons, like a butterfly hatching. :shobon:

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

Unite: MASH!!
~They've got the bad guys on the run!~
I love how the designers all but admit that they can't figure out a bug-themed positive message for Burgh and embrace the awkwardness. You'd think they'd just use something art-related, possibly involving one of the butterfly pokemon, but this is funnier than a tired cocoon metaphor.

Coq au Nandos
Nov 7, 2006

I think I would say to my daughters if they were to ask me this question... A shitpost is the greatest gift that you can give someone, the ultimate gift of giving and don't give it to someone lightly, that's what I would say.

AradoBalanga posted:

Man...the redesign of Burgh's gym is....odd. I mean, the silk cocoons fit into his Bug theme, but it's at the cost of the nice art theme the old design had. Now, all there is to show that art theme are just some paint buckets and colored water in Burgh's...room? Studio?

You just don't understand modern art. What an innovative installation.

evilspacehopper
Oct 10, 2012

Hinawa remembered in death as she was in life: endlessly eating birds.

AradoBalanga posted:

But, wow. Burgh's team got tougher. I see he dropped his Whirlipede and decided to use some of the other Bug types (at least in Challenge mode) available in Unova.

I don't know, to me this feels more like an art theme. It does remind me of many big art installations I've seen in modern art galleries, though I've never seen one suck me up through a tube before.

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

Coq au Nandos posted:

You just don't understand modern art. What an innovative installation.

Exactly my thoughts! Burgh's just going all Guttenheim (sp?) on his gym. Besides, it doesn't make any less sense than a regular art exhibit with honey doors.

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender

Kobold posted:

Choro, you mentioned Harden is something you'd never use on a Grimer/Muk... would Acid Armor fall under that category as well? Or does it get some redemption in the fact that it's a sharp raise instead of just a single stage one?
Playing defensively isn't really worth it against the AI. I mean, you can, it just makes battles take longer for no particular reason - the AI isn't smart enough for defensive strategies to pay off more than just berserking everything does. That's also why many defense/support mons are much less useful in-game than they are against other humans.

(And if you are playing against other humans, it seems like nobody uses anything other than sharp raises or moves that raise multiple stats at once.)

Captain Fargle
Feb 16, 2011

Burgh's team in Challenge Mode is always way tougher than you'd expect it to be. It's very easy to write off based on how easy he is in Normal Mode but they gave him a lot of little tricks up his sleeve. If Force Palm was Physical rather than Special that Shelmet would have just stalled Mortimer out into oblivion. It doesn't matter if Mega Drain is only healing miniscule amounts of damage because of resistances if the opponent is only doing miniscule amounts of damage to you in return.

Thwack!
Aug 14, 2010

Ability: Shadow Tag
Even though Burgh is probably my least favourite Gym Leader in the first game, I would say that as a Bug Gym Leader he's a massive improvement from GSC's generic Bug Catcher Plus gym leader.

Chorocojo
Sep 25, 2005

Captain Fargle posted:

Burgh's team in Challenge Mode is always way tougher than you'd expect it to be. It's very easy to write off based on how easy he is in Normal Mode but they gave him a lot of little tricks up his sleeve. If Force Palm was Physical rather than Special that Shelmet would have just stalled Mortimer out into oblivion. It doesn't matter if Mega Drain is only healing miniscule amounts of damage because of resistances if the opponent is only doing miniscule amounts of damage to you in return.

Force Palm IS physical.

Silegna
Aug 20, 2013

Hey, heads up. I'm about to unleash my rage.

Chorocojo posted:

Force Palm IS physical.

Maybe they were thinking of Vacuum Wave?

Captain Fargle
Feb 16, 2011

Chorocojo posted:

Force Palm IS physical.

... well goddamn. I've been thinking it was Special since it was introduced back in Gen 4.

Kemix
Dec 1, 2013

Because change
Normally, one would completely write off a bug-type team without a second thought. Since Gen 5, bugs definitely got a sizable buff in power. Not to mention the Venepede family, which is strong on it's own.

Kobold
Jan 22, 2008

Haifisch posted:

Playing defensively isn't really worth it against the AI. I mean, you can, it just makes battles take longer for no particular reason - the AI isn't smart enough for defensive strategies to pay off more than just berserking everything does. That's also why many defense/support mons are much less useful in-game than they are against other humans.

(And if you are playing against other humans, it seems like nobody uses anything other than sharp raises or moves that raise multiple stats at once.)
That makes sense. I suppose I partially think in mind for person on person battles just because I always get into a match or two at some point. Usually nothing overly serious, but sometimes you just run across someone who's real serious about their Pokeymans.

Kemix posted:

Normally, one would completely write off a bug-type team without a second thought. Since Gen 5, bugs definitely got a sizable buff in power. Not to mention the Venepede family, which is strong on it's own.
And actually, that was my team in the original White. Went Bug Trainer and ultimately put together an all bug team. Swapped out a couple for others post Elite Four (such as my personal favorite, Shedinja, and an... Armaldo, I think). The other four remained bugs from this generation, you could probably guess which ones. Technically, if I wanted to be more "pro" I probably could've used a Scizor instead of an Escavalier... but I liked the knight bug.

Other Pokemon that were swapped in occasionally included Leavanny, Accelgor, and a Vespiquen for a short time. They all took up Shedinja's slot until I got one leveled up.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

I misread this at first as "Your friend... He seemed pretty rad" and thought "Wow, that opinion is way different than what I was expecting"

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

Haifisch posted:

Hugh was right! Truly the trainer we needed!

StrifeHira
Nov 7, 2012

I'll remind you that I have a very large stick.

You know I could totally see this as a legit Pokedex entry. Maybe not QUITE for the Shotoclone Jackal, but still it's just bizarre enough to fit in with the other nonsense without being too out there.

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

StrifeHira posted:

You know I could totally see this as a legit Pokedex entry. Maybe not QUITE for the Shotoclone Jackal, but still it's just bizarre enough to fit in with the other nonsense without being too out there.
Obviously, Lucario is using Double Team.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wounded Land
Nov 27, 2007
Living in a greenhouse, growing crops that we can't eat...
This version of the gym is kind of unsettling. I had to think for a moment what it reminded me of, and then it hit me: The fungus-covered inner areas of Dinohattan in the Super Mario Bros. movie. On the plus side, we meet Burgh at the end of it instead of Dennis Hopper in a weird haircut.

• Locked thread