Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
escape artist
Sep 24, 2005

Slow train coming

haveblue posted:

If there really is no coming back from that, I wonder what to make of Misty mentioning that she had some kind of backup plan in case she got offed by another Supreme candidate earlier in the episode.

Misty seems genuinely innocent. She might have a soul to sell.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

xeria
Jul 26, 2004

Ruh roh...

haveblue posted:

The coffin was put into a cremation oven at the end of the scene.

If there really is no coming back from that, I wonder what to make of Misty mentioning that she had some kind of backup plan in case she got offed by another Supreme candidate earlier in the episode.

What? I thought it was just a crypt that they were going to brick in (and it looked like they were grabbing some bricks to do just that at the very end of that scene). This is the first time I've heard anyone suggest she was being cremated.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
Since when are cremation ovens just sitting in the middle of the cemetery? I thought Madison resurrected that guy so she could really quickly stick Misty in his coffin, then she'd get buried alive, which is my interpretation of exactly what happened. She's in the same situation as LaLaurie, she can't die but nobody knows where she is to dig her up. Worse actually, since I assume she'll slowly starve to death, then come back, then do it all over again.

Edit: She was in a crypt, so no digging, but the general idea is the same.

Fast Luck
Feb 2, 1988

escape artist posted:

Surprised to see the negative reaction; I thought that episode was easily the best of the season. It's no coincidence this was the first episode after they decided not to make the spin-off. Lots of stuff happened-- stuff with lasting consequences. And the Stevie Nicks stuff took up 2-3 minutes tops, and the final song she played was apropos-- listen to the lyrics, and consider that Fiona is accepting her fate. And you know what? Lance Reddick was legitimately scary. We finally got more Angela Basset backstory, instead of just dumb rituals. Misty died-- for real. She was cremated. They made a point to establish that cremation means you cannot be resurrected.

I don't watch previews and many others also don't, so spoiler tag that poo poo like you're supposed to.
Man this episode was garbage, possibly the worst of the season. It's all over the place in a bad way. What looked like it should be the new direction of the story, Fiona teaming with Laveau against the witch hunters, got one quick spell before everything derailed into witches murdering each other out of nowhere, like Nan being drowned basically offscreen and Misty getting clonked in the head and falling into a coffin. Joining the others to say Misty was buried alive and sealed in that mausoleum, not cremated. The only good thing about this episode was the enjoyably bizarre moment with Cordelia smashing pots while Myrtle played the theramin. Besides that we got the end to the neighbor lady story, tying it up into an utterly pointless bow, which also I think is a pretty good indication of the ultimate fates of Kyle and Delphine.

Trabant
Nov 26, 2011

All systems nominal.

Blazing Ownager posted:

Also what the flying gently caress was with the way nan went out? She developed TK powers and awesome mind control and it just cuts to her getting her rear end DROWNED IN A TUB?

mclast
Nov 12, 2008

catchphrase over
It is a crypt, just checked the tape to make sure.

Neighbor boy is confirmed dead, Nan is gone unless she comes back as a ghost or whatever, Queenie seems to be really dead but who knows, Misty will probably be back or lol she just can't get out of the crypt and no-one ever finds her.

Captain Mog
Jun 17, 2011
Yeah this episode was pretty bad. We get it by now, they're a coven of ~morally ambiguous~ witches who murder each other and backstab and wear fancy dresses. But after like eight episodes of literally that same thing, it's getting stale and eye-rolling. This episode could easily have been the best of the season but instead was filled with wasted potential since all they tried to do was shock viewers and kill people off all shocking like- "and then, she *gasp* pushed Misty into the coffin and buried her alive!"

Like drat. The Halliwell sisters could wipe the floor with their asses at this point and here I thought they were the lamest witches of all time.

escape artist
Sep 24, 2005

Slow train coming
Maybe I subconsciously thought she was being cremated because, well, that's (kind of) how her character went out in Asylum.

TheBizzness
Oct 5, 2004

Reign on me.
Edit: gently caress, beaten

The layoff actually made me appreciate this show a lot more. This season still isn't nearly as compelling as the last 2 but is still entertaining enough.

Was really surprised at the lack of hate for Nan being the first witch to actually die and lack of love for "Deal is off, you have no soul"

TheBizzness fucked around with this message at 16:56 on Jan 9, 2014

BIG CITY LAWYER
Sep 15, 2004

I believe it was the great American painter Bob Ross who said, "The key to a swollen vagina is... courage."
Yeah, I seem to recall above ground crypts being common in LA in general and especially New Orleans because of... Flooding... Maybe? At least that's what I've heard.

Fast Luck
Feb 2, 1988

TheBizzness posted:

Was really surprised at the lack of hate for Nan being the first witch to actually die and lack of love for "Deal is off, you have no soul"
Let's kill Nan because hey, maybe that god-like Papa Legba guy will accept a substitution? Oh cool he will? drat why have I been killing innocent babies for the last 100 years?

xeria
Jul 26, 2004

Ruh roh...

TheBizzness posted:

Edit: gently caress, beaten

The layoff actually made me appreciate this show a lot more. This season still isn't nearly as compelling as the last 2 but is still entertaining enough.

Well to be fair, Nan isn't technically the first witch to actually die for real, no take-backs, on-screen! (That'd probably be Kaylee, actually, the witch Hank shot in the hotel room.)

(And if that doesn't count, Queenie seemingly died in the episode prior. Doesn't seem like anyone's lifting much of a finger to go bring her back.)

mclast
Nov 12, 2008

catchphrase over
I think the weirdest thing for me in this episode (ignoring the Lange and Laveau plotline because i hate it) is, why does Madison even want to be the supreme? They lean on her disaffected youth thing in her conversation with Misty, but take that to its logical conclusion and it makes more sense for her to say 'y'all are bitches, peace' than get all competitive and try to get to the top of the dung heap. There's not much tying anyone into relationship with one another, really.

In Murder House the major players were the family, trapped in the house, or were family with people trapped in the house. Asylum, it made sense for everyone to be there (and tangentially, even though it was one plotline of many, Kit's family ties were mined for a lot of drama - there's hardly any family theme this season). A lot of the problems with this season I can blame on lack of direction, but that's a major flaw from the get go - why are these people still around each other?

xeria
Jul 26, 2004

Ruh roh...
The gist I get from Madison is that she's used to fame, fortune, and the trappings that go along with those. She can't have that via her acting career anymore so she wants it via being Supreme, doubly so after watching how Stevie Nicks fawned over Misty.

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005
Well, at least we're getting some character developments? It's felt like they've been treading water for the last few episodes with nothing happening but Hogwarts Supreme drama, now all of a sudden Laveau and Fiona are soul-selling bffs, Madison and Nan get new powers which make them bloodthirsty bitches causing neighbor lady's cleansing and Misty sealed alive in a crypt. Papa Legba was great and we got to see the transition from Fiona willing to give up absolutely anything (including her daughter's life, without hesitation) for immortality to the final scene where she seems to be accepting her fate.

I'm optimistic we'll see the plot actually go somewhere in the next few episodes, but I was disappointed at how they hamfisted all these developments in last night's episode when a lot of them don't really make sense or have any feeling of gravity for me. The pacing is really hosed up and terrible.

foxatee
Feb 27, 2010

That foxatee is always making a Piggles out of herself.

BIG CITY LAWYER posted:

Yeah, I seem to recall above ground crypts being common in LA in general and especially New Orleans because of... Flooding... Maybe? At least that's what I've heard.

Yeah, it's because of flooding. Also, I think maybe people are getting the cremation idea from Luke, who was cremated by his mom.

Also, gently caress Madison! You stupid, spoiled child!

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Fast Luck posted:

Man this episode was garbage, possibly the worst of the season. It's all over the place in a bad way. What looked like it should be the new direction of the story, Fiona teaming with Laveau against the witch hunters, got one quick spell before everything derailed into witches murdering each other out of nowhere, like Nan being drowned basically offscreen and Misty getting clonked in the head and falling into a coffin. Joining the others to say Misty was buried alive and sealed in that mausoleum, not cremated. The only good thing about this episode was the enjoyably bizarre moment with Cordelia smashing pots while Myrtle played the theramin. Besides that we got the end to the neighbor lady story, tying it up into an utterly pointless bow, which also I think is a pretty good indication of the ultimate fates of Kyle and Delphine.

Yeah. Getting a distinct "Nothing is going to amount to anything" vibe.

The season started with everyone being a huge piece of poo poo, and it's ending with them being slightly bigger pieces of poo poo, but all in an extremely, extremely random way.

I don't even know what the gently caress is going on with character motivations. Fiona spends the whole season trying to be good to her daughter, then gets enraged when she finds out that... her daughter threatened the very people she is killing herself left and right. What the gently caress?

Also, after Madison came back from having her throat cut in the living room? Why the gently caress did people just shrug and go "Eh, oh well?" and not, I don't know, keep a loving eye on Fiona at least?

I have seriously seen loving Adult Swim shows that are far, far less random than last night.

Pellisworth posted:

Well, at least we're getting some character developments? It's felt like they've been treading water for the last few episodes with nothing happening but Hogwarts Supreme drama, now all of a sudden Laveau and Fiona are soul-selling bffs,

Character obliteration is not development. Laveau coming to Fiona at all seems ludicrous.

Also continuing the "gently caress consequences" bandwagon is the fact Laveau gives no shits that her entire inner circle was wiped out, despite clearly caring for these people in every episode until now.

xeria posted:

Well to be fair, Nan isn't technically the first witch to actually die for real, no take-backs, on-screen! (That'd probably be Kaylee, actually, the witch Hank shot in the hotel room.)

Given she seemed plenty healthy maybe they'll pull a left field and have her show up as the new supreme. "What, everyone can't resurrect themselves? Could have fooled me!"

EDIT: Also man their universe building attempts were hosed up last night, too. So let me get this straight.. there is one Supreme, and she has every power (except the ones she clearly does not); yet there's more than one Coven, and a council, and titles like "the throne" related to it..

... but there are other Covens? Clearly a council and such doesn't exist for just this one, lovely, lovely Coven, right? Why is the Supreme in such a lovely Coven to begin with?

I know witches are being wiped out and all, but I figured there were a bunch of lovely covens but does that mean there's a bunch of lovely Supremes, and if there are, why does anyone give a poo poo about it?

I think they're very confused about the vibe they wanted to go for.

EDIT: Also at this rate I highly suspect the reason the witches are dying out is they keep killing each other for no loving reason.

IMO what this season should have had: Actual spells and rituals more often instead of superhero style "wave my arms and do stuff." A coven that has goals and works together towards those goals, with backstabbing being just fine.. in that context. Also a feeling that the Coven exists for a reason besides being a free apartment for mutants; sorry to keep drawing X-Men parallels (I'm pretty sure that's not a coincidence with the writers..) but it'd be like if the Xavier school existed entirely of 6 people lounging around a mostly empty house kinda sorta doing somethingnothing and occasionally they murder each other. It's just loving bizarre.

In other words where the gently caress are the creepy rituals happening in the swamp that summon hosed up demons and such from the intro? That intro feels like witches, the show does not. The mouse trap scene was pretty cool and we needed more stuff like that.

Blazing Ownager fucked around with this message at 18:14 on Jan 9, 2014

ThatPazuzu
Sep 8, 2011

I'm so depressed, I can't even blink.
This was my favorite episode this season. I mean, it wasn't great, but it was hilarious and in someways chilling. I'm not going to say it was flawless, the characters are one dimensional and the drama is artificial, but really it delivered on almost I want from this season at this point.

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

ThatPazuzu posted:

This was my favorite episode this season. I mean, it wasn't great, but it was hilarious and in someways chilling. I'm not going to say it was flawless, the characters are one dimensional and the drama is artificial, but really it delivered on almost I want from this season at this point.

The funny thing is I watch this show for the crazy, and last night was loaded with it.. but it felt like such random crazy, that's why I'm complaining.

FoneBone
Oct 24, 2004
stupid, stupid rat creatures

Blazing Ownager posted:

The funny thing is I watch this show for the crazy, and last night was loaded with it.. but it felt like such random crazy, that's why I'm complaining.

"Random crazy" is pretty much the entire season so far, if you ask me.

Dr. Benway
Dec 9, 2005

We can't stop here! This is bat country!
I found out last night that I don't really pay close attention to actors names and Lance Reddik is not Lance Henriksen. The first scene that Papa Legba showed up in I thought to myself, "Wow. Whoever is heading up makeup in this is really good. Wait.".

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
One of the highlights of this episode was the vertical 360 (and an extra 180 backward) shot of Fiona offering coke to Legba. Say what you want about the writers, everyone else on this show is doing fantastic work.

gnomewife
Oct 24, 2010

ThatPazuzu posted:

Agreed. This season is a total mess, but it's funny. This episode was hilarious. Boom, Misty's out. Laveau and Fiona look at each other and the next scene is Nan drowned in the bathtub. It's great.

One thing- that guy Madison brought back didn't look like he was all there. Maybe he's not.

QuoProQuid
Jan 12, 2012

Tr*ckin' and F*ckin' all the way to tha
T O P

xeria posted:

The gist I get from Madison is that she's used to fame, fortune, and the trappings that go along with those. She can't have that via her acting career anymore so she wants it via being Supreme, doubly so after watching how Stevie Nicks fawned over Misty.

Why can't she have her acting career anymore? No one outside the Coven knows that she died.

EDIT: Also, I agree that Laveau is out of character. It seems strange that she would trust Fiona so unhesitatingly after their history.

QuoProQuid fucked around with this message at 22:27 on Jan 9, 2014

xeria
Jul 26, 2004

Ruh roh...

QuoProQuid posted:

Why can't she have her acting career anymore? No one outside the Coven knows that she died.

EDIT: Also, I agree that Laveau is out of character. It seems strange that she would trust Fiona so unhesitatingly after their history.

Her acting career seemed like it was pretty much kaputs before she even set foot in the coven house. Like, she killed that guy with telekinesis, was a trainwreck, and then she was off to New Orleans.

Edit: And I'm fully expecting Laveau and Fiona to turn on each other after they've killed everyone else because why not.

hepscat
Jan 16, 2005

Avenging Nun

foxatee posted:

Yeah, it's because of flooding. Also, I think maybe people are getting the cremation idea from Luke, who was cremated by his mom.

Also, gently caress Madison! You stupid, spoiled child!

More specifically, because NOLA is below sea level and if you dig a grave you just get watery muck. The cemeteries look like this:

The line that made me laugh this time was "She is an innocent...mostly" (paraphrased).

I will miss Nan and I wanted her to be the one who kicked everyone's rear end. The actress had a way of speaking her lines that I found compelling.

whatshesaid
May 6, 2007
:spooky:
Best episode of this season, but still the weakest season of the three.

So when Legba took Nan, after the "2 birds with one stone comment"...does that mean that Fiona was granted her immortality and that the stolen baby won't be taken? Or did the comment mean that they were not only saving the baby by offering another "innocent" soul, but they were also killing off who was going to be the next supreme, implying that Nan was that person, of course. Is Fiona still going to wither away with cancer? Evil bitch, her own daughter!

I'm not afraid to admit I teared up over Misty's enjoyment of Stevie. Misty...come back :(

uptown
May 16, 2009
What a goddamn waste of time.

Andrew_1985
Sep 18, 2007
Hay hay hay!
Some Ryan Murphy spoilers here: http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2014/01/09/american-horror-story-coven-witches-dead_n_4570054.html

We're getting MORE Stevie Nicks?! HOORAH!

I expect Queenie is going to rescue LaLaurie and put her head back on before going "Screw this all, I'm going home"

Still betting on Fiona body swapping with the new Supreme at the end of the season.

xeria
Jul 26, 2004

Ruh roh...

whatshesaid posted:

Best episode of this season, but still the weakest season of the three.

So when Legba took Nan, after the "2 birds with one stone comment"...does that mean that Fiona was granted her immortality and that the stolen baby won't be taken? Or did the comment mean that they were not only saving the baby by offering another "innocent" soul, but they were also killing off who was going to be the next supreme, implying that Nan was that person, of course. Is Fiona still going to wither away with cancer? Evil bitch, her own daughter!

I'm not afraid to admit I teared up over Misty's enjoyment of Stevie. Misty...come back :(

I think the 2 birds comment just meant that Laveau got to continue her immortality without giving up the baby and that Fiona got to kill one of the girls now that she's gone full-tilt "rocks fall, everybody dies". She seems pretty resigned to dying; she just wants to take out as many people as she can in a blaze of glory before she goes. And like Laveau would care about killing witches, since she'd hired Hank to do just that anyway, so I imagine she's just hitching onto this crazy wagon as far as it'll take her in getting the Salem witches dead.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna

whatshesaid posted:

Best episode of this season, but still the weakest of the season as well.

Changed to fit my feelings on it. The episode had a lot of great moments, but so many terrible plot points that it ruined it.

whatshesaid
May 6, 2007
:spooky:

xeria posted:

I think the 2 birds comment just meant that Laveau got to continue her immortality without giving up the baby

Yeah, that's what I think too. How much would you bet that in the remainder of the season, the baby is never mentioned again? A woman breaks into a nursery, a baby is stolen, and two cops are dead. Eh? No big deal, right?! Another stupid loose end, I bet. This season is pretty atrocious.

Lily Rabe and Frances Conroy can still do no wrong, though.

jscolon2.0
Jul 9, 2001

With great payroll, comes great disappointment.

whatshesaid posted:

Yeah, that's what I think too. How much would you bet that in the remainder of the season, the baby is never mentioned again? A woman breaks into a nursery, a baby is stolen, and two cops are dead. Eh? No big deal, right?! Another stupid loose end, I bet. This season is pretty atrocious.

Lily Rabe and Frances Conroy can still do no wrong, though.

It's New Orleans post-Katrina.

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007
This season is so funny and good. I was dying at Francis Conroy playing a theramin.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

scary ghost dog posted:

This season is so funny and good. I was dying at Francis Conroy playing a theramin.

This season is an endless series of funny, intense, impeccably produced and executed moments with no clear order or relationship to each other.

Lord Krangdar
Oct 24, 2007

These are the secrets of death we teach.

AGirlWonder posted:

One thing- that guy Madison brought back didn't look like he was all there. Maybe he's not.

I thought maybe he was just an actor that she hired or something. She does have Hollywood connections, after all.

haveblue posted:

This season is an endless series of funny, intense, impeccably produced and executed moments with no clear order or relationship to each other.

Pretty much. Except everything is connected to everything else, it all just defies a typical/generic narrative progression and serious dramatic tone. Which is fine by me. Wouldn't it be supremely boring if everything had unfolded the way it seemed it would early on? Like if the whole show was just watching Zoe's education as a witch and journey to replacing Fiona as Supreme.

Lord Krangdar fucked around with this message at 04:20 on Jan 10, 2014

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005

Lord Krangdar posted:

Wouldn't it be supremely boring if everything had unfolded the way it seemed it would early on? Like if the whole show was just watching Zoe's education as a witch and journey to replacing Fiona as Supreme.

You say this as if it's not going to happen! :smith:

Edit: Misty was going to be the next Supreme but she gets incinerated by Madison and doesn't resurrect. Madison gets hers from the witch hunters and since Zoe is the last young witch left she's the new Supreme and she gains a ton of power levels, Highlander style. Fiona and the witch hunters and Laveau all come after Zoe but Cordelia tutors Zoe on how to be a good and wise and not selfish witch, then with the help of sentient zombie boyfriend Kyle and her murder vagina she beats them all.

Laveau's stolen black baby and LaLaurie's severed head chill in the bottom drawer, forgotten.

Pellisworth fucked around with this message at 04:27 on Jan 10, 2014

Lord Krangdar
Oct 24, 2007

These are the secrets of death we teach.

Pellisworth posted:

You say this as if it's not going to happen! :smith:

The show could easily end up at that point, though who knows, but the journey there has been anything but straightforward or generic.

rare bird
Jun 19, 2013

Madison definitely did not resurrect that guy. Puppetry by telekinesis, I'm betting. Dude was zombified, Madison even called Misty a "stupid bitch" for believing her.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

QuickbreathFinisher
Sep 28, 2008

by reading this post you have agreed to form a gay socialist micronation.
`
Dear god let there be a Queenie/Delphine head transplant. :haw:

We're literally halfway to glory, Ryan. You do this thing right. You put Kathy Bates' racist head on Gabourey Sidibe's body.

• Locked thread