Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
fix yr hearts
Feb 9, 2011

things you cannot touch:
my heart
Didn't Arika work on a couple of the WCW/nWo N64 games?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A Bystander
Oct 10, 2012
The EX series had great combos and supers and I want nothing more than another game.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
There's probably a really good reason why EX doesn't show up under anyone's radar except when talking about character designs.

A Bystander
Oct 10, 2012
Eh, fair enough, I suppose. I've played these games on and off growing up because it was pretty much my second exposure to Street Fighter, after I played II on my cousin's Genesis.

Million Ghosts
Aug 11, 2011

spooooooky
Does anyone here play any Aquapazza? A buddy and I both got it on the cheap and we've been messing around with it. He plays Karulau I play Touka, and it's been pretty awesome so far. I don't really know what I'm doing outside of poking and punishing but it works to a point. Any general total newbie tips?

Doggboat
Oct 17, 2012

ThePhenomenalBaby posted:

Doctrine Dark, Skullomania, and Cracker Jack are cooler than every new SF4 character
Nah, there's Gouken.

Corn Nuts
Jul 16, 2003

Pillbug

Million Ghosts posted:

Does anyone here play any Aquapazza? A buddy and I both got it on the cheap and we've been messing around with it. He plays Karulau I play Touka, and it's been pretty awesome so far. I don't really know what I'm doing outside of poking and punishing but it works to a point. Any general total newbie tips?

I'm not a Touka expert but I can give a few tips:

- Her standing A will cause air opponents to go into an untechable knockdown, and it may even be air unblockable. After this, you can follow up with B+C, dash super, or her level 3.
- Back throw puts them into the air for a standing A
- Her 4-strike special move has "just frames" to it, meaning if you time the buttons perfectly, you'll get more damage and a bigger knockdown at the end. You'll hear a sound for each strike when you get it. If you get all 4, you can connect a dash super.
- You can tigerknee her air special move for an instant overhead
- Her standing and crouching C are forward dash cancel-able on hit or block. I think most characters can punish you by mashing A, so call an assist if they start mashing. Otherwise you can follow the dash with a normal, back throw, instant overhead or even her counter super. Her counter super connects if they're right on top of you when you activate it, even if they dont hit a button.

I forgot they had a sale so hopefully more people are playing. I usually play in the evening a couple times a week (PSN: Saedyn).

Lynx Winters
May 1, 2003

Borderlawns: The Treehouse of Pandora
A common assist for Touka players is Rina because you can confirm into standing C+D, dash cancel, C, dash, repeat until the assist ends for pretty good damage.

As a Karulau player, I can tell you some things to look out for:

One, don't jump. Just don't do it. Karu's crouching B will stop nearly everything you do in the air, and can be cancelled into super.
Two, the best range for you is just outside of her crouching B range. When you stand outside of cr.B then you can more or less push C any time you want.

Karu's C attacks, dash, and fireballs are all slower than your C, and her B is duckable at that range. Any button Karulau pushes that's not A take about six years to recover, so your main goal is to bait something out and then stay on her since Karulau doesn't really have much in terms of get-off-me moves.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

Doctrine Dark, Skullomania, and Cracker Jack are cooler than every new SF4 character

Also this is objectively wrong, Juri's one of the best designs SF has had in a good while, Hakan's fun and goofy, and Gouken fuckin owns.

Three Cookies
Apr 9, 2010

Yeah, Juri's great.

GabbiLB
Jul 14, 2004

~toot~
Jolyne's got a big head.

Ghostpilot
Jun 22, 2007

"As a rule, I never touch anything more sophisticated and delicate than myself."
I see Star Gladiator every time I look at Juri.

Edit: Hakan, too. Especially Hakan.

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

Go home and be a family man!

Million Ghosts posted:

If you wanna goon it up sometime, my PSN is Ol Crunchy. Or OlCrunchy. I can never remember if there's a space or not.

Mason Dixon
Jul 28, 2001

Crimson Butterfly

Lynx Winters posted:

A common assist for Touka players is Rina because you can confirm into standing C+D, dash cancel, C, dash, repeat until the assist ends for pretty good damage.

As a Karulau player, I can tell you some things to look out for:

One, don't jump. Just don't do it. Karu's crouching B will stop nearly everything you do in the air, and can be cancelled into super.
Two, the best range for you is just outside of her crouching B range. When you stand outside of cr.B then you can more or less push C any time you want.

Karu's C attacks, dash, and fireballs are all slower than your C, and her B is duckable at that range. Any button Karulau pushes that's not A take about six years to recover, so your main goal is to bait something out and then stay on her since Karulau doesn't really have much in terms of get-off-me moves.

I main Karulau as well, and this matchup advice is solid. Staying just out of her 2B range is especially important, when you're at neutral. When jumping in with Touka at neutral, unassisted, you should be positioned so the tip of j.C connects kinda late in the jump, no closer. Difficult for Karulau to get a clean anti-air there. Then dash in or short hop and j. C again during the block stun.

Also, if you get a hard knockdown (especially in the corner), you can jump in right on top of her or crossup on her wake up freely. Only Karulau's 2B covers that area, and it isn't viable in this situation.

You all can add me as well, PSN is longshot1gg.

tony police
Sep 22, 2006

I figured this is the best spot to plug this:

My friend plays as part of a Video Game Cover Jazz Band (MissingNo), which recently just played at MAGFest in Washington. A few months back they had a Kickstarter to get some cash to produce an album, one of the rewards of the Kickstarter was you could commission a song.

Well they were finally able to rehearse enough to get the song I commissioned down pat. I present to you..... Carnival Stage

http://www.twitch.tv/magfest2/b/492636811?t=23m45s
full set starts at 18:54

My friend is the bassist on the far left, the whole MVC2 OST is perfect for them since the arranging is pretty much already done.

tony police fucked around with this message at 01:16 on Jan 7, 2014

Soulcleaver
Sep 25, 2007

Murderer
These guys are pretty rad. Buying a copy of their album.

tony police
Sep 22, 2006

Soulcleaver posted:

These guys are pretty rad. Buying a copy of their album.

Awesome, thanks :)!

The album sounds much better than the recording from the venue, since I heard reports there were fairly consistent complaints about audio issues. Sadly Carnvial Stage wasn't well enough prepared for their album recording :(

Million Ghosts
Aug 11, 2011

spooooooky
Thanks for the solid advice guys, really helped. I'll add everyone up to PSN and you can laugh at my noobitude. I can't even pull of a decent short hop into Touka's air spin thing, that's my white whale right now.

Bleep
Feb 7, 2004

After months of not touching Tekken Revolution because it's a terrible game with terrible players, I decided to hop into it again. I got a cool message after beating some dude with 400 wins by doing DEWGF combos over and over with Kazuya, so I sent a cool message back.

Don't play Tekken Revolution.

rednecked_crake
Mar 17, 2012

srsly who wants to play this lamer?
I had one guy do something similar last week. If anyone here has heard of Aliktea, then it's the same guy. He's semi-famous on PC for messing around with his PC to force matches to run in slow motion while playing Honda. It's actually impossible to block headbutts when you see them coming, so you sort of have to hold down back pre-emptively. If you jump at him, he has a solid 3-4 seconds to react with headbutt or neutral jump fierce, so you just have to hope he jumps on you and you can time an anti-air correctly.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I_eDeaFZfmg

Anyway, he sent some garbage after a match, told him he was blocked. Then he uses nearly a dozen alternate accounts to spam me. I forgot to take screenshots until halfway though, as blocking deleted the last message sent from that account.

Some people! :downsbravo:

He seemed to get bored that I wasn't responding after a while though. I'm guessing he just buys new copies of AE because people kick him on sight.

rednecked_crake fucked around with this message at 13:37 on Jan 7, 2014

Bleep
Feb 7, 2004

Hahaha, that's so crazy. It's funny that people get legitimate satisfaction out of doing things like that.

AkumaHokoru
Jul 20, 2007
all that effort to avoid actually trying to get better. he is 7 accounts mad. those are the kinds of people I'd bully into not playing anymore honestly I'd just keep hunting him and playing his game better than him.

ThePhenomenalBaby
May 3, 2011

weird bleep posted:

Don't play Tekken Revolution.

I'm curious about the bat lady. Is she any good/interesting?

Zingih
Jan 2, 2013
That Aliktea dude has been trying to join my games since the original SF4. I've kicked him probably at least fifty times. What baffles me is that people actually seem to put up with him for a whole game often enough that he feels the urge to continue playing. I just instantly Alt+F4 if I see shenanigans like that.

Bleep
Feb 7, 2004

I'm curious about the bat lady. Is she any good/interesting?

She's interesting in that it shows how the Tekken team would introduce more traditional 2d style fireballs into their 3d game. She apparently has the smallest moves list in the game at ~40 and has no 10 string combos, which are kinda pointless anyway. If TxSF is still being made, she might be a clue as to how they would transfer Street Fighter characters into Tekken.

It's not worth trying to unlock her though, it requires a crazy amount of grinding.

Kp
Aug 3, 2002

Lets drill

Dash O Pepper posted:

I figured this is the best spot to plug this:

My friend plays as part of a Video Game Cover Jazz Band (MissingNo), which recently just played at MAGFest in Washington. A few months back they had a Kickstarter to get some cash to produce an album, one of the rewards of the Kickstarter was you could commission a song.

Well they were finally able to rehearse enough to get the song I commissioned down pat. I present to you..... Carnival Stage

http://www.twitch.tv/magfest2/b/492636811?t=23m45s
full set starts at 18:54

My friend is the bassist on the far left, the whole MVC2 OST is perfect for them since the arranging is pretty much already done.

I wish I knew this before I went to Magfest. They sound great, so I bought their album off of itunes (which, btw, is also good).

quakster
Jul 21, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

weird bleep posted:

She's interesting in that it shows how the Tekken team would introduce more traditional 2d style fireballs into their 3d game. She apparently has the smallest moves list in the game at ~40 and has no 10 string combos, which are kinda pointless anyway. If TxSF is still being made, she might be a clue as to how they would transfer Street Fighter characters into Tekken.

It's not worth trying to unlock her though, it requires a crazy amount of grinding.
I did the math and if I keep up my play-twice-a-month routine, I'll unlock her by 2018. 2016 if there's a Mokujin Rush every time.

Six Of Spades
Oct 24, 2010

"...That too is according to my calculations."

Actually, is there much in the way of Darkstalkers For Dummies? It looks like a fun game, and I enjoy watching character tutorial videos for games like this where the fighters are all so varied.

interrodactyl
Nov 8, 2011

you have no dignity

Six Of Spades posted:

Actually, is there much in the way of Darkstalkers For Dummies? It looks like a fun game, and I enjoy watching character tutorial videos for games like this where the fighters are all so varied.

Video tutorials sometimes featuring SA's own rudger (he won NEC): https://www.youtube.com/user/ArcadeLegacy

Mizuumi has an in-depth wiki: http://wiki.mizuumi.net/w/Vampire_Savior

Darkstalkers Resurrection also has some built-in tutorials, if you own that.

mountainmanjed
Apr 2, 2013

Six Of Spades posted:

Simple stuff
Savior is played more than Hunter. Ignore the other games.

I can tell you a lot about the game. Never be afraid to ask questions especially to the players. Players at Arcade Legacy did some tutorial vids.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3yzFiJn2St8

Edit: beaten

There is that old lua script I made last year that works on the rerecord emulators.

mountainmanjed fucked around with this message at 23:58 on Jan 8, 2014

Six Of Spades
Oct 24, 2010

"...That too is according to my calculations."

interrodactyl posted:

Video tutorials sometimes featuring SA's own rudger (he won NEC): https://www.youtube.com/user/ArcadeLegacy

Mizuumi has an in-depth wiki: http://wiki.mizuumi.net/w/Vampire_Savior

Darkstalkers Resurrection also has some built-in tutorials, if you own that.

Their tutorial videos are a little confusing for a layperson, but the matches they've got recorded I'll work my way through. For now I've been looking at the Wiki - the person who wrote it is saying moves are objectively bad or useless; which is not something I ever properly considered a fighting game having. I mean, is it something that's come out by accident, or are they put there as a balancing mechanic?

With recent games like Skullgirls, are those designed so all the moves are useful?

Broken Loose
Dec 25, 2002

PROGRAM
A > - - -
LR > > - -
LL > - - -
Mike Z has tried to fix certain underused moves to match players' expectations, although there are still a few stinkers (Filia's level 3, Painwheel's s.LK, Egret Dive). There were also some pre-production moves that sucked so much they stayed on the drawing board. Generally, everything has a use, especially if you choose one of the later-designed characters.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

It's just how things go sometimes. Developers can't predict how accurately metagame is going to evolve, even with extensive playtesting. And when a character has upwards of 50 moves, they can't all be winners. Just about every fighting game ever made, even recent ones, have some useless-rear end moves.

Broken Loose
Dec 25, 2002

PROGRAM
A > - - -
LR > > - -
LL > - - -

Endorph posted:

It's just how things go sometimes. Developers can't predict how accurately metagame is going to evolve, even with extensive playtesting. And when a character has upwards of 50 moves, they can't all be winners. Just about every fighting game ever made, even recent ones, have some useless-rear end moves.

Precisely this. The only reason why SGE has such a high proportion is because the lead dev is personally making corrections all the time and talking to individual players. Games with actual teams, real budgets, and larger-than-World-Warrior casts have to make educated guesses or predictions about what the players will find useful. A lot of the Ultra changes were attempts to achieve such a thing using the data of the greater player base.

mountainmanjed
Apr 2, 2013

Six Of Spades posted:

Their tutorial videos are a little confusing for a layperson, but the matches they've got recorded I'll work my way through. For now I've been looking at the Wiki - the person who wrote it is saying moves are objectively bad or useless; which is not something I ever properly considered a fighting game having. I mean, is it something that's come out by accident, or are they put there as a balancing mechanic?

With recent games like Skullgirls, are those designed so all the moves are useful?
That's how I felt about the vids as well, and I play the game.

There are joke moves (that give the character personality like Lilith's Gloomy Puppet Show), bugs that happen make the specials useless (Anakaris' Guard Cancel), or just been in the series so long they kept it that way.

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

WHERE MY HOSE DRINKERS AT

SHAQ FU 2 CONFIRMED

GET HYPE

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IEnoGGw8XPM

(jump to 1:45)

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

PLANES CURE TOWERS posted:

SHAQ FU 2 CONFIRMED

GEY HYPE

Shaq Fu 2?

I....I can't gey hype :smith:

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

WHERE MY HOSE DRINKERS AT

AndyElusive posted:

Shaq Fu 2?

I....I can't gey hype :smith:

get hype immediately

seriously

brian
Sep 11, 2001
I obtained this title through beard tax.

It's only two days to go until the 3rd Strike tournament of the decade, Co-operation Cup 12 is this weekend and has a massive 80 teams/400 entrants, with a similar amount for the traditional single character team 5v5 pre-Co-op Cup. The pre-cup is on Saturday and the main one on Sunday, both streams start at 11am JST, with some last minute qualifiers kicking off the day and top 16 or so starting 3-4 hours in.

This year looks insane, with a lot of the old greats coming back out of nowhere, such as Hayao, Fujiwara, Dirty Music, Spellmaster J and Pierre, the current and past greats who still play a lot like the pre-co-up cup 3 man super team King Ghidorah (Nuki/MOV/Rikimaru), KO, Mester, Yakkun, Kokujin, RX, Pierrot, Thanatos and many more. There's gonna be a french team with a serious shot at winning the whole thing with Marko, Gunfight, Niabanh, Victor and Nikola (SerbianStyles from SF25th qualifiers) and there's even the token SF4 team of Haitani/Momochi/Kindevu/DBKoopa/Yaoichi. Unfortunately Kuroda pulled out of playing after a load of drama involving which team he was gonna play for and his own reservations about being the centre of attention when he clearly doesn't want it, but you'd be hard pressed to find another 3S top player of note not at the tournament.

Basically it's gonna be ridiculous and if you only give a poo poo about 3S once in a blue moon, then this is the weekend to poo poo out a blue moon or whatever you crazy kids do.

http://shoryuken.com/2014/01/07/12th-cooperation-cup-2014-street-fighter-iii-3rd-strike-5-on-5-final-teams-list/

Pre Cup stream page:
http://live.nicovideo.jp/watch/lv165122055?ref=qtimetable&zroute=index

Main Cup stream page:
http://live.nicovideo.jp/watch/lv165123157?ref=qtimetable&zroute=index

brian fucked around with this message at 13:20 on Jan 9, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Corn Nuts
Jul 16, 2003

Pillbug
So I've had the OP-recommended TE stick for a couple years now and I'm ready to toss it. Whenever I try to do a fireball motion, 1/4th of the time it does not register the diagonal. This should only be possible if the microswitches are releasing prematurely, right? I've had to replace the joystick board prior, due to a similar issue. Whenever I would hold downleft it would randomly release a microswitch and my character would stand. Maybe I mash my diagonals too hard.

Anyways, I think I'm going to try Hori this time. Anyone have good or bad things to say about this one? http://www.amazon.com/HORI-PlayStation-Real-Arcade-N3-SA-3/dp/B00FB5R3XQ

• Locked thread