Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Gonkish
May 19, 2004

I am secretly hoping they bring back Karkand in one of the DLC packs or something. I need it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

They should definitely bring back Below Radar and have it break locks on all weapons. See how that goes and buff / nerf air from there. Also I am down with nerfing the active air radar missile range OR not letting them disable. Both seems like a bit much.

Gonkish posted:

I am secretly hoping they bring back Karkand in one of the DLC packs or something. I need it.

Let the players vote for maps. Your vote is disqualified if you have more hours in Metro / Locker than ever other map combined.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

t3h z0r posted:

Also has anyone else been getting one shot by tanks a lot recently? Usually hesitant to play the hax card but I got hit from across the map like 10 times the other night. One guy in particular was around F on Golmud and was hitting me right out of spawn.

Unless his profile says otherwise, probably just someone really good with Sabot shells. They travel so much faster and so much flatter than HE or AP shells that hitting helicopters can be done fairly regularly with practice.

Gonkish
May 19, 2004

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

Let the players vote for maps. Your vote is disqualified if you have more hours in Metro / Locker than ever other map combined.

Alternatively, if you have more hours in Metro/Locker than anything else, EA buys you a copy of COD.

Al Nipper
May 7, 2008

by XyloJW
Ya I'm pretty sure they had Sabots. I've barely used the tanks and hitting anything with the default loadout seems nearly impossible so I figured something must be up.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

Gonkish posted:

I'm actually really disappointed it's Gulf of Oman in Second Assault rather then... well any other map from B2K.

Also, do the other Second Assault maps feature the not-as-garbage-as-the-F35 F18?

OGS-Remix
Sep 4, 2007

Totally surviving on my own. On LAND!

Kibayasu posted:

Unless his profile says otherwise, probably just someone really good with Sabot shells. They travel so much faster and so much flatter than HE or AP shells that hitting helicopters can be done fairly regularly with practice.

Yeah, it's a ton easier to hit aircraft with Sabot shells then with AP or HE. Consistently at cross map could be hacking, but people are good at memorizing spawn locations and just spamming every so often. That's why I switched to using the SMAW on Engineer as well. I'm no expert at the SRAW, but up close with the SMAW I've taken down helis that I would have definitely missed with the SRAW or RPG-7.

I honestly think the RPG-7 is the "worst" rocket now because the only advantage is has over the SMAW is that you can possibly deal 50 damage on perfect side shots. From the rear they both essentially two-shot vehicles and landing perfect side shots is difficult both positioning wise and aiming wise with the slower/heavier projectile. Even the LAW is better because you can shoot and scoot much more effectively in addition to having that super fast reload.

Edit: Yeah, 2 rear shots with the RPG-7 is a guaranteed kill, the SMAW leaves them at like ~4 HP and burning. Most people bail anyways after two shots so on the actual battlefield, I think the better speed/trajectory is more valuable then the slightly lower damage. v:shobon:v

VVVVVVV

OGS-Remix fucked around with this message at 00:28 on Jan 10, 2014

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

OGS-Remix posted:

Yeah, it's a ton easier to hit aircraft with Sabot shells then with AP or HE. Consistently at cross map could be hacking, but people are good at memorizing spawn locations and just spamming every so often. That's why I switched to using the SMAW on Engineer as well. I'm no expert at the SRAW, but up close with the SMAW I've taken down helis that I would have definitely missed with the SRAW or RPG-7.

I honestly think the RPG-7 is the "worst" rocket now because the only advantage is has over the SMAW is that you can possibly deal 50 damage on perfect side shots. From the rear they both essentially two-shot vehicles and landing perfect side shots is difficult both positioning wise and aiming wise with the slower/heavier projectile. Even the LAW is better because you can shoot and scoot much more effectively in addition to having that super fast reload.

The RPG-7 will make the tank explode with 2 rear shots while the best the SMAW can do is leave it burning allowing the driver and passenger to run off. I mean yea both of them will basically destroy the tank, but there is still a slight difference. And like you said, landing perfect rear shots is difficult so having a bigger buffer in terms of damage is nice.

If anything, lower the SMAW damage slightly so there is no doubt which launcher is the alpha launcher (its the SRAW) :getin:

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK fucked around with this message at 00:33 on Jan 10, 2014

Horace Kinch
Aug 15, 2007

I keep forgetting that people can run off with vehicles in this game, I'm too used to planetside 2 where if you pull a vehicle, you're the only one allowed to drive it. I was dicking around in silk road, took a few hits and stepped out to repair my tank, some dude ran up behind me, hopped in, and mowed me down.

Gonkish
May 19, 2004

Oxyclean posted:

Also, do the other Second Assault maps feature the not-as-garbage-as-the-F35 F18?

Caspian and Firestorm, maybe. Oman had the F35, and Metro is Metro.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Still praying the Metro levolution are the tunnels flooding / collapsing and everyone dies. The survivors can fight outside on the ruins with vehicles.

Leb
Jan 15, 2004

Change came to America on November the 4th, 2008, in the form of an unassuming Senator from the state of Illinois.

Someguy posted:

Oops, I play a ton of MAA, but I don't just want the game to be as easy as possible for myself and my favored way of playing, and can admit when something is badly implemented or broken even if in the long run it will make my job as an MAA slightly (and I mean slightly, those scary aircraft will still get poo poo on by the MAA regardless) more difficult.

edit: I'm like number 3 on the BFgoons stats site for MAA behind Lebbers, Chronojam and for the TYPE 95, Naturally Selected

It's possibly worth noting that unlike most people, I don't use any lock-on weapons (my permanent MAA loadout is 20mm/Zunis), and I mainly hunt infantry and vulnerable armor while still being able to knock down helicopters/the occasional jet since I'm roaming all over the map.

Target Practice
Aug 20, 2004

Shit.

Naturally Selected posted:

It does apply to weapon XP, and yes, you can boost to unlock almost anything in the game. Or you can play the game.

Sniping isn't playing Battlefield. :colbert:

Someguy
Jul 15, 2001

by Lowtax

Leb posted:

It's possibly worth noting that unlike most people, I don't use any lock-on weapons (my permanent MAA loadout is 20mm/Zunis), and I mainly hunt infantry and vulnerable armor while still being able to knock down helicopters/the occasional jet since I'm roaming all over the map.

Same, except I run 30mm and Zunis. I've always kind of wanted a way to keep track of what unlocks players use in their vehicles, but it's probably too difficult for Dice to implement.

A half decent MAA player won't even need to run ARMs, because the default cannons are more then enough to crush any aircraft 99% of the time; but ARMs are just such a hilarious easy mode that they turn even the worst MAA player into an unstoppable beast against any aircraft, especially helicopters.

Plus half the fun is making GBS threads on aircraft with Zunis, especially the ones that know you *don't* have ARMs, and confidently start their strafing run on you only to be completely poo poo on by a flurry of Zuni rockets. A single Zuni rocket will mobility disable a jet or helicopter, leaving them as easy prey for your cannons to mop up, assuming the Zuni splash didn't kill them out of the pilot seat outright.

Gonkish
May 19, 2004

My experience with attack choppers thus far: get in chopper -> take off -> immediately get slammed by two ARMs from across the map, fired seemingly through sheer prescience -> crash.

BF4 attack choppers: sometimes you actually get to leave the spawn.

Target Practice
Aug 20, 2004

Shit.
Well, testing shows that a headshot with a 400m marksman bonus totaling 525 total points only puts 125 points towards the weapon-type progression. gently caress.

Shima Honnou
Dec 1, 2010

The Once And Future King Of Dicetroit

College Slice

Oxyclean posted:

I'm actually really disappointed it's Gulf of Oman in Second Assault rather then... well any other map from B2K.

I'd have rather had Sharqi, if it had to be a B2K map.

underage at the vape shop
May 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747

Uranium 235 posted:

You answered your own question. Grief the pubbies with the stupid bullshit pickup instakill gun. Why wouldn't you use it?

Because it would feel cheap and I wouldn't enjoy it or find it fun, and then what's the point?

simble posted:

Because it is dishonourable!

I'm all for "dishonourable" stuff, jihad jeeping has been my favourite thing in battlefield since I started playing BC2. That ohk sniper is just stupid to die against like someone with 50000 m16 kills in bf3 was.

leftist heap
Feb 28, 2013

Fun Shoe
What a terrible map selection for Second Assault. Obviously Metro is Metro, but Oman and Firestorm both play too similarly to Hainan Resort and Zavod, respectively (unless they're significantly different in their B4 iterations). Hell, I'd argue that Golmud and Caspian Border are pretty similar, except I'd take Caspian over Golmud any day. Still, toss in Seine instead of Metro (good god, why Metro?) and it's not a horrible map pack.

Would have been cooler to get a BC2 map pack. I honest miss Atacama Desert and Harvest Day.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

rrrrrrrrrrrt posted:

What a terrible map selection for Second Assault. Obviously Metro is Metro, but Oman and Firestorm both play too similarly to Hainan Resort and Zavod, respectively (unless they're significantly different in their B4 iterations). Hell, I'd argue that Golmud and Caspian Border are pretty similar, except I'd take Caspian over Golmud any day. Still, toss in Seine instead of Metro (good god, why Metro?) and it's not a horrible map pack.

Would have been cooler to get a BC2 map pack. I honest miss Atacama Desert and Harvest Day.

Should've had the secret best map of BF4: Tehran Highway. Levolution that bridge to hell.

leftist heap
Feb 28, 2013

Fun Shoe

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

Should've had the secret best map of BF4: Tehran Highway. Levolution that bridge to hell.

Yeah I'd take Tehran Highway over most of those maps. BF4 doesn't really have any nighttime maps, does it?

Shima Honnou
Dec 1, 2010

College Slice
Dawnbreaker, sort of.

Gonkish
May 19, 2004

rrrrrrrrrrrt posted:

(good god, why Metro?)

See all those 24/7 Locker servers? That's why. Gotta have the COD kid map.

The Duggler
Feb 20, 2011

I do not hear you, I do not see you, I will not let you get into the Duggler's head with your bring-downs.

Pistols only locker is the most fun thing in this miserable game

Shima Honnou
Dec 1, 2010

College Slice
As someone who's played a lot of CoD and a lot of BF: the maps in CoD are more open and offer more flanking opportunities than loving Metro ever did.

OneEightHundred
Feb 28, 2008

Soon, we will be unstoppable!

Kibayasu posted:

I imagine they can't change the repair for specifically the scout choppers.
They've had 1 other Battlefield installment where you could repair from inside the chopper and it was broken as gently caress then too, so they should really just make the torch unable to target the vehicle you're sitting in.

Gonkish
May 19, 2004

Drivin' mah tank. Drivin' mah tank. Uh-oh, hit a pebble, better spontaneously explode for no loving reason whatsoever even though I'm only five feet out of the Russian spawn!

BATTLEFIELD 4: A TRULY NEXT-GEN EXPERIENCE!

Someguy
Jul 15, 2001

by Lowtax

Gonkish posted:

Drivin' mah tank. Drivin' mah tank. Uh-oh, hit a pebble, better spontaneously explode for no loving reason whatsoever even though I'm only five feet out of the Russian spawn!

BATTLEFIELD 4: A TRULY NEXT-GEN EXPERIENCE!

Did this happen on Golum Railway? Because this happens almost once a game every time I play that loving map, I go over a small hill and then my tank just explodes.

tobu
Aug 20, 2004

Bunny-Bee makes me happy!

The Duggler posted:

Pistols only locker is the most fun thing in this miserable game

Seriously fun. I only play HC and mainly on pistol only servers. Big hugs given to the compact45 with the flash hider for making me feel like a baddass while putting two in the chest one in the head.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Pistols on domination is more fun than pistols on conquest locker.

Gonkish
May 19, 2004

Someguy posted:

Did this happen on Golum Railway? Because this happens almost once a game every time I play that loving map, I go over a small hill and then my tank just explodes.

Yep! I guess it's something specific to that map, then?

Shima Honnou
Dec 1, 2010

College Slice
Are you guys possibly running over the piles of highly explosive IEDs that are laying around?

Someguy
Jul 15, 2001

by Lowtax
One of my buddies suggested that, but whenever it happens I'm far away from any IEDs on the map, often times (like Gonkish said) literally just coming out of deployment.

Smegmatron
Apr 23, 2003

I hate to advocate emptyquoting or shitposting to anyone, but they've always worked for me.
As someone who abused the living poo poo out of below radar in BF3, don't bring it back. It's a loving horrible, broken, overpowered as poo poo mechanic and it shouldn't stop heat seekers from working. It left infantry absolutely helpless whenever the jets weren't concentrating on killing helicopters (they never were) and if you think the average BF4 pubbie can take advantage of the RPG/SMAW projectile speed, you're severely underestimating how bad the average is.

Just make ARMs slow as poo poo so there's a bigger countermeasures window and they become near useless at across-the-map sniping.

Also either lock vehicle weapons inside the deployment or disable the automatic AA if there's a manned vehicle nearby so the MAA can't achieve immortality by sitting near it and using it as a counter-TV missile/UCAV system.

Gonkish
May 19, 2004

Shima Honnou posted:

Are you guys possibly running over the piles of highly explosive IEDs that are laying around?

Unless they are, quite literally, five feet from where the tank spawns in the Russian base... nope. It was a straight "spawn into tank, press W, explode randomly". I didn't even get up to speed.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

rrrrrrrrrrrt posted:

The Xbox One has Second Assault already, right? Are there are detailed looks at what the maps are like?

If they filled out the D/E side of Firestorm, maybe add another point between them, I'd say Firestorm has the potential to be a pretty good map. In BF3 is was 2/3's good because DICE had to design around the PS3 and 360, then throw a couple of ancillary points in there to satisfy a 64 player server. But A-B-C was pretty good close to medium range infantry and tank action. The warehouses and containers provided enough cover from tanks trying to push ahead and there were plenty of ways to advance between the points without breaking cover.

Oman was terrible because DICE thought having the US have 0 armor in its uncap was good design. One good rush or some lucky tank kills at the start of the round by the Russian side was all it took, most of the time, to completely shut down the US side for the rest of the game. If they have rebalanced what armor spawns where on Oman, maybe filled out the rest of the beach side with some buildings or other cover, it could be another good map.

Of course, they probably haven't. I should go look for some maps when I'm not on a terrible work internet.

CAPS LOCK BROKEN
Feb 1, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
On the offchance someone else is using a PS4 controller to play BF4 jets and helicopters using DS4tools, what do you do on the controller to speed up/use afterburner?

Gonkish
May 19, 2004

Kibayasu posted:

The Xbox One has Second Assault already, right? Are there are detailed looks at what the maps are like?

If they filled out the D/E side of Firestorm, maybe add another point between them, I'd say Firestorm has the potential to be a pretty good map. In BF3 is was 2/3's good because DICE had to design around the PS3 and 360, then throw a couple of ancillary points in there to satisfy a 64 player server. But A-B-C was pretty good close to medium range infantry and tank action. The warehouses and containers provided enough cover from tanks trying to push ahead and there were plenty of ways to advance between the points without breaking cover.

Oman was terrible because DICE thought having the US have 0 armor in its uncap was good design. One good rush or some lucky tank kills at the start of the round by the Russian side was all it took, most of the time, to completely shut down the US side for the rest of the game. If they have rebalanced what armor spawns where on Oman, maybe filled out the rest of the beach side with some buildings or other cover, it could be another good map.

Of course, they probably haven't. I should go look for some maps when I'm not on a terrible work internet.

There are videos from the Xbone:
Caspian
Metro
Oman
Firestorm

Firestorm looks, to me, like they just took it from BF3, added a few fires here and there, and then some oil pools and called it a day. Caspian has actually had real work done to it. Oman, again, feels like they mostly just added fires and oil, but really the big deal is the sandstorm. Metro is Metro is Metro except it has like two new small hallways that will be effortless to cover and won't change the grindy bullshit nature of the map at all.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

Smegmatron posted:

As someone who abused the living poo poo out of below radar in BF3, don't bring it back. It's a loving horrible, broken, overpowered as poo poo mechanic and it shouldn't stop heat seekers from working. It left infantry absolutely helpless whenever the jets weren't concentrating on killing helicopters (they never were) and if you think the average BF4 pubbie can take advantage of the RPG/SMAW projectile speed, you're severely underestimating how bad the average is.

I think that's why everyone who has raised the issue in this thread has included the caveat that STIGLAs should not be effected by a buffed Below Radar.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Al Nipper
May 7, 2008

by XyloJW
I didn't play BF3 but on a wiki it said engies weren't effected by Below Radar?

Like I said I'd be fine with leaving engies alone since the majority of my lock-ons come from MAA and aircraft. I can usually dodge stingers using terrain and if they hit me with dumbfires or laser guided good for them.

• Locked thread