Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
KicksYouInHalf
Aug 6, 2007

National tragedy.

The Ape of Naples posted:

It may be free but I have invested hours of time into watching it. I'm not being forced and I do check out new vids when they're posted. But in the beginning I sat and watched them from the start. Now I just kinda play them in the background and/ or ff through them. Maybe I'm the only one but my interest has waned. And I can't recommend someone watch it from the beginning or invest theirtime into it. It's been a great story and series that has lost it's way and become unfocused. I don't say that as a creator to an author but as a watcher. Maybe this whole thing will finish up and I'll eat my words but at this point as someone who has spent a lot of time in the story and bought the first DVD (but skipped the rest) I think it's meandering and hasn't held my interest. That's no knock on the guys. It's certainly better than I would have done but that doesn't mean it's above criticism. I may not have put much cash into the whole thing beside the season one DVD but I don't think it's right to say "it's free so your opinion doesn't matter".

I lied, THIS is the final word from me: It should be noted that that isn't what I am saying either. It does not bother us at all that people voice their opinions about the series. We have plenty of our own criticisms about the series, some of which are on record at panels we've done.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RoyKeen
Jul 24, 2007

Grimey Drawer

KicksYouInHalf posted:

I lied, THIS is the final word from me: It should be noted that that isn't what I am saying either. It does not bother us at all that people voice their opinions about the series. We have plenty of our own criticisms about the series, some of which are on record at panels we've done.

I wasn't even really complaining to you guys. More to the notion that "it's free so you don't get an opinion." To me it doesn't matter how much one "invests" in a work of art as one who experiences it. It's all valid. At least to that person or, in this instance, me. Yes, it's free. It's awesome. Great. A noteworthy accomplishment. I have some reactions to it which I'm entitled to voice. As much to the work known as "Marble Hornets" as on is to anything "free" or paid. To be honest if it totally sucked I'd invest no time in any criticisms.

Edit: That sounded really pretentious. To be fair, I'm a little drunk. Don't criticize me! (ha)

Indubitable Leg
Aug 9, 2013

E-Tank posted:

Goddammit, Jay can't be dead. Without Jay who'll blunder into obvious traps armed with a camera and his good intentions?

Tim, although hopefully he'll have more sense to take more than a pocketknife to a gun/slender fight.

Ride The Gravitron
May 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Mogomra posted:

We're getting dangerously close to another derail about how you guys can't just accept free entertainment and that no one is forcing you to watch.

Just sit back and enjoy the ride :yayclod:

These are like the stupidest posts ever. You can go ahead and feel free to open your mouth, suck all the dick, and swallow every last drop of cum you want while you spread your rear end cheeks wide and beg for them to gently caress you raw dog for all their sweet internet popularity all you want.

They put their creative work out there though and free or not that opens it up to criticism. Which, if they were serious about wanting to improve their craft they'd listen too.

The series started out great. It really did. I still regularly watch season one. So it's startling to me how it went from how great it was to what it is now. It's just been circling around the drain for a long time now.

My real shot of criticism though is that if I'm not mistaken they said they needed a season 3 because it would be too rushed if they ended it at season 2. Because they totally had the ending planned and perfect.

If that was the case then why has all of season 3 been just spinning it's wheels?

The group is highly talented. There's no denying that. Their comedy shorts are great and Marble Hornets has a lot of great moments. They just need to learn how to wrap it up.

IrvingWashington
Dec 9, 2007

Shabbat Shalom
Clapping Larry
I liked the shot at the start - with the upside down face it was kinda evocative of that mask.

big mean giraffe
Dec 13, 2003

Eat Shit and Die

Lipstick Apathy
Marble Hornets is back to the future of free internet horror videos, comparing seasons to movies.

bunky
Aug 29, 2004

marble hornets made a good video or two years ago and who the gently caress still watches this? even your fanbase bitches about every loving entry. who are you appealing to at this point? a dude went into the woods and found a video tape and it took 20 minutes. post that poo poo! entry 205! cut it out already.

circ dick soleil
Sep 27, 2012

by zen death robot

Mogomra posted:

We're getting dangerously close to another derail about how you guys can't just accept free entertainment and that no one is forcing you to watch.

Just sit back and enjoy the ride :yayclod:

I like watching 15 minute videos where a guy goes into an abandoned building and then gets stuck crawling in a pipe. It's like real life with a lot less human interaction, which is probably whats so good about it.

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

My main takeaway from that entry is that real-life Tim has nuts the size of Saturn. I have NO goddam interest in crawling around a dark, wet, cramped sewer tunnel :gonk:

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

bunky posted:

marble hornets made a good video or two years ago and who the gently caress still watches this? even your fanbase bitches about every loving entry. who are you appealing to at this point? a dude went into the woods and found a video tape and it took 20 minutes. post that poo poo! entry 205! cut it out already.

I'm not a big fan of this series anymore, but I think it's main audience has been outside of SA for a while now.

I still watch it because I've been watching since the beginning and now it's stockholm syndrome.

bunky
Aug 29, 2004

IUG posted:

I've been watching since the beginning and now it's stockholm syndrome.

case in point. stop making these stupid things because your fanbase hates you and loves you at the same time.

IrvingWashington
Dec 9, 2007

Shabbat Shalom
Clapping Larry

big mean giraffe posted:

Marble Hornets is back to the future of free internet horror videos, comparing seasons to movies.

Do you mean if they change anything (from walking around in the woods) we'll cease to exist

because I'm okay with that

fullroundaction
Apr 20, 2007

Drink beer every day

Docjowles posted:

My main takeaway from that entry is that real-life Tim has nuts the size of Saturn. I have NO goddam interest in crawling around a dark, wet, cramped sewer tunnel :gonk:

Yeah I kept thinking "no way I can get through a Ted the Caver movie" because I could barely handle this.

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

bunky posted:

case in point. stop making these stupid things because your fanbase hates you and loves you at the same time.

You're putting words in my mouth. I didn't say I hate it. I just think it needs some editing and should have ended by now. Exploring these locations is amazing and raises the hairs on the back of my neck. It's like that old UrbEx thread we had, but video with plot.

Instead of "hate", I'm just exhausted and disappointed. I'm hoping for a solid conclusion.

big mean giraffe
Dec 13, 2003

Eat Shit and Die

Lipstick Apathy

IrvingWashington posted:

Do you mean if they change anything (from walking around in the woods) we'll cease to exist

because I'm okay with that

No like 1 is great, 2 is decent and 3 is pretty crap.

IrvingWashington
Dec 9, 2007

Shabbat Shalom
Clapping Larry

big mean giraffe posted:

I honestly thought it was because people keep using the title incorrectly

Oasx
Oct 11, 2006

Freshly Squeezed
I still like the series :)

big mean giraffe posted:

Back to the future was the opposite of that.

big mean giraffe
Dec 13, 2003

Eat Shit and Die

Lipstick Apathy

Oasx posted:

I still like the series :)

Back to the future was the opposite of that.

What? Back to the Future 3 was awful trash.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer
Kind of a meh episode as people ahve been saying but I really liked this shot:

Planet Piss
Dec 18, 2006

hey you kids, get out of my moat, it was not meant to be played in

IUG posted:

I'm not a big fan of this series anymore, but I think it's main audience has been outside of SA for a while now.

I still watch it because I've been watching since the beginning and now it's stockholm syndrome.

same, every time there's new posts itt i keep hoping it's the end. i really do want to see how it ends! but i'm done watching wheezy nature walks/urbex

just end it already. i don't care if you wrap everything up, if nothing is explained, if you add a whole cast of new characters, if everyone dies... i just want closure

Corey Plumper
Nov 22, 2008

slendre

Apple Craft
Mar 8, 2012
Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray :cry: Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray

KicksYouInHalf posted:

No, no. Make your final word the answer to this question:

What was the brand and model of the flashlight Tim was using? Because, holy poo poo, that thing was awesome.

JordanKai
Aug 19, 2011

Get high and think of me.

I just realized that we passed Entry #78 a while ago. That would have been the final episode if this season had been 26 episodes long like the last two. So that means that some of these entries aren't even filler any more. They're just ... loose stuffing.

I kind of still want to get the DVD because I'm interested in seeing if this season works any better as a connected narrative. On the other hand, I'm honestly not sure if I want to continue supporting Marble Hornets after how persistently it has been letting me down this season. :(

kilogram
Mar 29, 2012

Cyborg Senator

IUG posted:

Instead of "hate", I'm just exhausted and disappointed. I'm hoping for a solid conclusion.

This. I still watch every video but it has been a rough season for sure.

Personally I think criticism of Marble Hornets is completely fair even though it's free entertainment (not counting the DVDs/merchandise) made in someone's spare time. What bugs me is this weird attitude that the creators somehow owe you because their product isn't up to your standards.

Mogomra
Nov 5, 2005

simply having a wonderful time

4 litre whorny boy posted:

I like watching 15 minute videos where a guy goes into an abandoned building and then gets stuck crawling in a pipe. It's like real life with a lot less human interaction, which is probably whats so good about it.

This I understand. This is my only real complaint, and I feel like a lot of the later entries can stand to be cut down a bit.

Volume posted:

These are like the stupidest posts ever. You can go ahead and feel free to open your mouth, suck all the dick, and swallow every last drop of cum you want while you spread your rear end cheeks wide and beg for them to gently caress you raw dog for all their sweet internet popularity all you want.

:magical:

I was mostly talking about the jerks who come in this thread with amazing one liners like "Tell me when something happens :smug:" and "lol slenderman is stupid", but if you want to take it as a personal attack against you, that's cool too.

romanowski
Nov 10, 2012

I watched the first 20 episodes or so of this thing and it was kinda cool at first but it quickly became pretty dumb and bad. but it was cool when they were in the car rehearsing a scene and you're like "lmao this is awful" and then the dude leans back and you see slendy popping his head out from behind a wall or something lol. it was actually pretty creepy and dudes didn't try to oversell it. anyway that's about all I have to say about this show, thanks for listening

404notfound
Mar 5, 2006

stop staring at me

Mogomra posted:

I was mostly talking about the jerks who come in this thread with amazing one liners like "Tell me when something happens :smug:" and "lol slenderman is stupid", but if you want to take it as a personal attack against you, that's cool too.

Pretty sure that was because of the GBS 2.1 rules where it basically became (and still is?) the new BYOB.

Tritanomalicious
Mar 14, 2008

A dog, A barrel... RIDICULOUS!
Well, I'm still enjoying the series. I'm certainly not trying to "tough it out" because when I decide something isn't worth it, I stop. Even in the middle of an episode.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

bunky posted:

Apparently some people are still watching it, the newest episode has almost 20K views and 2k likes after just one day. That's pretty good for something a few guys are doing in their spare time. The earliest episodes have over 2 million views, so it's gone down a wee bit over the years, but there are still a few fans.

CLARPUS
Apr 3, 2008
Seeing that.
Seeing as.

Who is that walking on the second floor at around 11:55 when Tim unlocks the front door? He quickly gets Slendersick and bolts the gently caress out after that.

IrvingWashington
Dec 9, 2007

Shabbat Shalom
Clapping Larry
That is the slenderpig

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

my posts are as bad the Current Releases review of Gone Girl

I hope tim is up to date on his hepatitis shots, 'cause gently caress crawling around in sewers.

big mean giraffe posted:

What? Back to the Future 3 was awful trash.

What the gently caress is wrong with your brain?

FoglyOgly
Sep 23, 2009

Wittgenstein posted:

Who is that walking on the second floor at around 11:55 when Tim unlocks the front door? He quickly gets Slendersick and bolts the gently caress out after that.

I had just assumed it was Alex. It seems unlikely for someone else to be wandering around the building. Also Alex tends to have that effect on people since TO is typically following him around.

Looks like similar color hair and shirt at least. Seems like the most plausible explanation.

IrvingWashington
Dec 9, 2007

Shabbat Shalom
Clapping Larry

mr. stefan posted:

What the gently caress is wrong with your brain?

I didn't ever watch BTTF:3 because who cares about cowboys anyway

FoglyOgly posted:

I had just assumed it was Alex.

Maybe it was a zipcode

CLARPUS
Apr 3, 2008
Seeing that.
Seeing as.

I had thought it was Alex too but if that was Alex then who did Tim hide from that came down through the manhole?

Will Styles
Jan 19, 2005

Wittgenstein posted:

I had thought it was Alex too but if that was Alex then who did Tim hide from that came down through the manhole?

He was hiding from skimaski.

The guy upstairs is Tim.. from the future.

Nnep
Jun 17, 2007

3-2 2-0
dang that slendermen writer man is a butthole

nny_ix
Apr 26, 2006

What?

I'm making things interesting!
You know, I've been down with this series up to exactly this last entry. I mean, I understand wanting to build an atmosphere and establishing every character and then exploring their back stories but then to spend an entire season retconning the pre-established back story and character development to meet an end that is taking way to long to come? I guess ideas can change, I can roll with that. Then you have an entry where you basically kill off your protagonist only to follow it with an entry that does nothing except illustrate what we already know Tim was in the building, Hoody was in the building and also Alex was in the building tells me that they may have lost track of the pacing or where the story is even going at this point. This season has been the least informative out of all of them and it's getting incredibly frustrating that we can't just get a little information before we're thrown into the next bit of forced exposition despite the fact that this season has already run 3 entries over the other two and Tim doesn't know what to do so I highly doubt it's going to wrap up in the next entry or two.

Snack Bitch
May 15, 2008

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!
I am excited about how this is concluding. Now that Time meds have been stolen we might see some creepy chest cam footage of him masking about. Has everyone forgotten that Tim is not the most stable dude without his :catdrugs:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tom Guycot
Oct 15, 2008

Chief of Governors

We float down here Tim, we alllll float.

I was getting some strong IT vibes from this one, and for such a cool location it would have been neat to see it used for more than crawling around then leaving.

• Locked thread