Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

JamieTheD
Nov 4, 2011

LPer, Reviewer, Mad Welshman

(Yes, that's a self portrait)

MEAT! posted:

Ah, so it's PAL standard definition. Yeah, 720x578 is normal then. When you say the capture device is greyed out, I'm guessing you mean in the software. Which software are you referring to?

It's ArcSoft Showbiz, but since the same settings appear when I try and capture with VDub or VLC, with the same options greyed out and unusable (The one I'm looking at that's most interesting is "Anti-Flicker (Power Line Frequency)", it's clear these settings are the settings for the device itself, regardless of program.

Thing is, after looking at the EZCap official forums, it seems this problem occasionally happens, and is most likely due to either port interference (I'll test for that later today), cables (already eliminated as a possibility, all cables have been replaced and individually tested, it's the same problem connecting directly to the PS2), or a defect within the EZCap itself (they seem, judging by the forum, to be pretty good about replacing defective units, so we'll see what happens.)

And you're right, frozentreasure, I misread. Been awake since 1AM due to a storm (thankfully it was moving away when it started.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

I'm looking for a flock of urbanmechs.

I've got kind of a specific problem. I'm trying to record Deus Ex (the original) using Fraps, and while I'd like to show off all the nice things Kentie's DirectX 10 mod adds to the engine, when I select it as the renderer all Fraps can record is the sound and a blank screen regardless of how I fiddle around with the preferences. Fraps works fine when I select the normal DirectX renderer, so I know I can at least LP the game normally (along with a very nice texture pack I also found), but those screenshots on Kentie's website sure insinuate that I'm missing something here. Thoughts?

Mico
Jan 29, 2011

A billion dollars.

Bobbin Threadbare posted:

I've got kind of a specific problem. I'm trying to record Deus Ex (the original) using Fraps, and while I'd like to show off all the nice things Kentie's DirectX 10 mod adds to the engine, when I select it as the renderer all Fraps can record is the sound and a blank screen regardless of how I fiddle around with the preferences. Fraps works fine when I select the normal DirectX renderer, so I know I can at least LP the game normally (along with a very nice texture pack I also found), but those screenshots on Kentie's website sure insinuate that I'm missing something here. Thoughts?

There was a windows update I had to uninstall to get fraps to record the windows desktop. Not the exact same problem, but worth a try at least? It was KB2670838 that I had to uninstall.

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

I'm looking for a flock of urbanmechs.

Mico posted:

There was a windows update I had to uninstall to get fraps to record the windows desktop. Not the exact same problem, but worth a try at least? It was KB2670838 that I had to uninstall.

That worked perfectly, thanks. Plus it turns out Deus Ex runs at a perfect 60 fps even while recording and with all the bells and whistles enabled, which is a bonus, although all the HDR lighting meant I had to turn down the brightness a tad.

tinkerttoy
Dec 30, 2013

by XyloJW
I'm a Linux user, and I'd like to recommend SimpleScreenRecorder for those in the same boat. The "simple" in the name comes from the GUI; the application isn't lacking in features, offering encoding options and whatnot.

I'd like to make it clear that this application is Linux exclusive. Don't bother using it if you're on Windows, Fraps is probably better anyways. Still, if you are a hipster piece of poo poo like me, it's probably your best bet.

Getsuya
Oct 2, 2013
Hey guys.

I'm trying to figure out how I'm going to put together my next LP and I'm running into this conundrum:

The PSone RPG I want to LP has lots of little animations and even animated cutscenes. I'm using an emulator to take screenshots of it, but I have no idea how I'm supposed to capture the moving bits if I want to show off the animations or the videos. The laptop I'm using is fairly crappy and I'm pretty sure it's not up to taking high-quality videos of what I'm playing. Should I just try to make animated gifs of everything? Or should I assume that showing off animations isn't worth however much trouble it will cost me and just make it all static screenshots?

Is there a good emulator that records video while not requiring too many resources? And how much trouble is it to get from video to animated gif?

toddy.
Jun 15, 2010

~she is my wife~

Getsuya posted:

The PSone RPG I want to LP has lots of little animations and even animated cutscenes. I'm using an emulator to take screenshots of it, but I have no idea how I'm supposed to capture the moving bits if I want to show off the animations or the videos. The laptop I'm using is fairly crappy and I'm pretty sure it's not up to taking high-quality videos of what I'm playing. Should I just try to make animated gifs of everything? Or should I assume that showing off animations isn't worth however much trouble it will cost me and just make it all static screenshots?

Is there a good emulator that records video while not requiring too many resources? And how much trouble is it to get from video to animated gif?

I'd just try ePSXe for it, it works better than most emulators I've tried.

If you can Fraps it you probably should is the rule I've used for a while, though there are similar alternatives.
I hear recording the game in video with Fraps and extracting the screenshots from it later is the easiest way to go for SSLPs so you can play at a comfortable pace rather than constantly stopping for photos. Record it then snag pics using MPC or VLC media players.
For cutscenes you can just snip out that video and upload it, and for small animations you can capture it off the video using something like GoonCam or another gif capture program and have little gifs showing that off.
I found a link to GoonCam earlier in the thread here: http://sourceforge.net/projects/gooncam/

toddy. fucked around with this message at 16:41 on Jan 7, 2014

JamieTheD
Nov 4, 2011

Okay, continuing the saga of the EZCap 116, I want input on something. See, it looks like the card is frame blending, and from what little I know, that's from changing the frame rate on the fly, right? But it also appears to be doing a Blend Deinterlace as it goes. On the one hand, that it does this, and I can still play mah games flawlessly just using captured footage is great (although I have yet to test how this works with streaming... probably not well). But I'd like some confirmation that this is the case before the admin of the EZCap forums starts getting antsy at all my questions. So here's two shots, both taken in VLC after a crop and resize in AviSynth. (EDIT: Aspect ratio is the same)

This is using a Blend Deinterlace in VLC, but without it, this frame looks exactly the same, frameblend and all.

The second one, above, is the same frame with a YADIF 2 filter. YADIF 1, and a couple of other filters end up looking exactly the same.

Now, it still ends with mostly watchable footage without deinterlacing (although video buffs would freak at certain frames), but I still want to confirm whether this card is doing something with the input that it shouldn't be.

EDIT: Never did find out what was causing the pixellation on some colours, but the frameblending and ghosting were due to a forced 25 FPS on the card. I upped that to 30 in VirtualDub capture, and while that caused some hilarious audio problems, it did fix all but the strange colour pixellation. Either way, trying to capture Wii footage with the thing BSOD'd my PC, so I'mma return this thing.

JamieTheD fucked around with this message at 02:46 on Jan 9, 2014

Dongattack
Dec 20, 2006

by Cyrano4747
I accidently put in about 5 minutes of black screen at the end of a fully encoded and finished video. Is it possible to just delete the last 5 minutes without having to go through the lenghty re-encoding somehow?

Premiere Pro with Frameserver/MeGUI is what i usually use.

JamieTheD
Nov 4, 2011

Well, if you're uploading it to youtube or something like that, it has a built in editor that can, last I checked, trim video. Does that count?

Dongattack
Dec 20, 2006

by Cyrano4747

JamieTheD posted:

Well, if you're uploading it to youtube or something like that, it has a built in editor that can, last I checked, trim video. Does that count?

Ah, yeah, of course! That'll work probably, thanks!

gatz
Oct 19, 2012

Love 'em and leave 'em
Groom 'em and feed 'em
Cid Shinjuku
Hi thread, I've got a little bit of a weird question for you.

This is a screenshot of Hell: A Cyberpunk Thriller. All that black space was a little odd, so I cropped just the character out.

Notice that the resolution is 320x200. I thought it was a coincidence that it matches the CGA resolution, but then I found this comment on the internet:

quote:

Holy — um, heck, guy, you nailed this review. I worked on that game (Gideon Eshanti was my character design but I can proudly say I had NOTHING to do with the lighting or cutscene animations) and it was a massive clusterf**k from the ground up. Nothing like the company prez deciding that they were going to quadruple the resolution (think 1993 rendering times!) and keep the original release date. Or the art lead having a prima donna fit, walking out on Dennis Hopper during a recording session! (At least they cut the original 14 hours of dialogue down to 9 hours….) Anyway, thank you for giving this game the review it truly deserves. I do hope you see this message!

That made me think that the character shot might actually be stuck in the wrong aspect ratio, like it was meant to be stretched by a crt monitor to 4:3. So I resized it.

And I thought it looked more correct than the first one. Am I wrong, here? Is it possible that the image was meant to be in 4:3, but the developers were just strapped for time and didn't fix it?

This is what normal gameplay looks like, by the way:

gatz fucked around with this message at 20:10 on Jan 9, 2014

The Skeleton King
Jul 16, 2011

Right now undead are at the top of my shit list. Undead are complete fuckers. Those geists are fuckers. Necromancers are fuckers. Necrosavants are big time fuckers. Skeletons aren't too bad except when they bleed everyone in the company. Zombos are at least not too bad.

Edit: Nevermind, fixed it

The Skeleton King fucked around with this message at 02:39 on Jan 10, 2014

khy
Aug 15, 2005

I would like to stream my Wii/PS3 to a friend of mine online. What is the best capture device to use? Preferrably something USB since most of my internal expansion slots are in use or covered up by my video card, etc. I have no need for recording and only need a live view. I saw the devices in the OP and am leaning towards the AVerMedia C039 DVD EZMaker 7 as it's cheapest, but I'm wondering if there's anything of equal quality but cheaper (perhaps something without recording software?)

khy fucked around with this message at 02:39 on Jan 10, 2014

Xenoveritas
May 9, 2010
Dinosaur Gum

I am the M00N posted:

I just encountered an odd issue. My hauppage HDPVR gaming edition is recording a PS2 game, and was able to record all audio and video, but it did not record the in-game voices, as in the character's dialogue. I have no idea what causes this.

My best (only) guess is that the game is using 5.1 Surround and you're only recording the stereo tracks. How do you have your PS2 hooked up to the HDPVR? The only way I can come up with to allow something like that happening is if you have both the standard audio cables hooked to the HDPVR and the optical audio port hooked up to a separate sound system. Of course, I'm not even sure if the PS2 will output audio over both the conventional white/red cables and the optical port in the first place, but it's the only way I can think of to have character voices not be mixed into the game audio.

Edit:

khy posted:

I would like to stream my Wii/PS3 to a friend of mine online. What is the best capture device to use? Preferrably something USB since most of my internal expansion slots are in use or covered up by my video card, etc. I have no need for recording and only need a live view. I saw the devices in the OP and am leaning towards the AVerMedia C039 DVD EZMaker 7 as it's cheapest, but I'm wondering if there's anything of equal quality but cheaper (perhaps something without recording software?)

Nope. Anything that can stream is pretty much going to be able to record in any case, especially if it's USB. (Since USB doesn't have enough bandwidth to stream the raw video data in the first place, those capture devices work by encoding internal to the device.)

khy
Aug 15, 2005

Xenoveritas posted:

Keep in mind that anything USB will add in an amount of lag. I think the HDPVR has about 3 seconds of lag to the PC, let alone final stream lag. (There are a number of reasons for this.) The Hauppauge HD PVR2 has streaming software available, but doesn't (and probably never will) work with OBS.

Is there anything with an absolutely minimal amount of lag? Just to make it easier when playing the games. I don't need anything to covert format, just raw video - I plan to stream with XSplit via Twitch. All I need is a live video feed and nothing more.

Jewel
May 2, 2009

khy posted:

Is there anything with an absolutely minimal amount of lag? Just to make it easier when playing the games. I don't need anything to covert format, just raw video - I plan to stream with XSplit via Twitch. All I need is a live video feed and nothing more.

You're supposed to split the video output, and hook one into the Capture Device, and one into your TV. Stream the capture output and watch the TV.

khy
Aug 15, 2005

Jewel posted:

You're supposed to split the video output, and hook one into the Capture Device, and one into your TV. Stream the capture output and watch the TV.

Blah, that sucks because I don't have a TV in the same room as the PC. Guess I'll just get a really, really long RCA cable and do it that way.

Jewel
May 2, 2009

khy posted:

Blah, that sucks because I don't have a TV in the same room as the PC. Guess I'll just get a really, really long RCA cable and do it that way.

You can also split it, then use a converter to change into a monitor input I'm pretty sure. You'd have to start it streaming first then swap though, since you can't see your computer any more. Unless you have two monitors in which case you're fine.

Mico
Jan 29, 2011

A billion dollars.
I would like to point out that splitting the signal degrades quality unless you get a powered splitter. With Component you could probably get away with it but it's especially noticeable for SD sources like Composite and S-Video.

frozentreasure
Nov 13, 2012

~
Whenever people talk about splitting AV signals, I get confused. Maybe it's different in America, but in Australia, SD TVs would have composite OUT ports as well as IN, which lets me plug the console (or my switch box) composite cables into the TV directly, then a male/male composite lead from the TV to my capture device. If TVs in not-Australia have those, they'll work just the same; no need to degrade the signal with a splitter or create any sort of passthrough delay or whatever.

Mico
Jan 29, 2011

A billion dollars.

frozentreasure posted:

Whenever people talk about splitting AV signals, I get confused. Maybe it's different in America, but in Australia, SD TVs would have composite OUT ports as well as IN, which lets me plug the console (or my switch box) composite cables into the TV directly, then a male/male composite lead from the TV to my capture device. If TVs in not-Australia have those, they'll work just the same; no need to degrade the signal with a splitter or create any sort of passthrough delay or whatever.

Are you saying TV's down under have their own passthrough because that's loving crazy to me.

frozentreasure
Nov 13, 2012

~
The HDTV in my house doesn't have words on the inputs, so I can't tell if it's got it as well (I would assume so), but it's definitely a standard feature of SDTVs. See?

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Mico posted:

Are you saying TV's down under have their own passthrough because that's loving crazy to me.

Yeah, a fair few of the ones I've owned do. Usually just CVBS-to-CVBS, though.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

kirbysuperstar posted:

Yeah, a fair few of the ones I've owned do. Usually just CVBS-to-CVBS, though.

That's loving nuts. Why doesn't America get TVs with passthrough built in? :confused:

Getsuya
Oct 2, 2013
Okay so thanks to Gooncam I've got my animated gif situation figured out so I can show off the great sprite animations in the game I'll be screenshot LPing.
The problem is there's still the short animated segments to worry about. Recording a PSone emulator on screen and trying to get good video or sound quality on the laptop I'm using would be essentially impossible.
Is it okay to link to the videos on Youtube? The game I'm gonna LP is a huge nostalgia thing in Japan so the videos of the cutscenes are everywhere.
They won't be subtitled though, so I guess people would just be watching it to see the animation, then reading my translation with screenshots?
I don't know. This is complicated.

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

eVeN I KnOw wHaT CoRnEr gAs iS

ChaosArgate posted:

That's loving nuts. Why doesn't America get TVs with passthrough built in? :confused:

Uh .... America does. US-sold Panasonics, Sonys, Samsungs, I can think of several models which have audio and/or video passthroughs.

I mean if you buy some housebrand bargain panel, passthroughs are an easy feature to chop to cut manufacture costs, but it's not like Australia is somehow unique in the TV world.

Geemer
Nov 4, 2010

I thought it was a standard feature on old TVs to allow you to record what was on your screen with a VCR. And figured it makes sense to see less of it, especially HD, now that VCRs are pretty much extinct.

VivaVizer
Dec 1, 2012

Brought to you
by the letter 'V'
Eh, with VCR's, I remember it was a VCR passthrough where you connect your antennae/cable coax/Laser Disc Player (?) to the VCR so you could record while passing it to the TV.

ElTipejoLoco
Feb 27, 2013

Let me fix your avisynth scripts! It'll only take me a couple horus.
Between GIMP's animation plugin and GoonCam, which optimizes gif file sizes better? I'm unfamiliar with the latter program but it seems to have received quite a bit of praise recently for ease of use, so I'm wondering if it'd speed up some of the workflow in making animations either from scratch or from raw video files.

khy
Aug 15, 2005

Geemer posted:

I thought it was a standard feature on old TVs to allow you to record what was on your screen with a VCR. And figured it makes sense to see less of it, especially HD, now that VCRs are pretty much extinct.

In my experiences it was usually the opposite. The cable input went into the VCR first and then out from the VCR into the Television set.

My ooooooooooold CRT TV only had an RF input and not an RCA input, so when I got a game console that used RCA output I always plugged it into my VCR and used the VCR for all TV controls and whatnot, the TV was only the monitor.

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

To go quickly is foolish. To go slowly is prudent. Not to go; that is wisdom.
Probably a silly question, but it's the first time I've tried anything with video.

I'm trying to record Pathologic gameplay with fraps, so it's easier to get the screenshots afterwards, but even at 30fps (full size) the files bloat up pretty fast. Playing the recorded video in VLC is night impossible due to stuttering and 5 second loading times after each other frame played. Am I supposed to encode it first?

I'm playing on windows, 1280x1240 resolution and 32 bits, if that's any help.

EntranceJew
Nov 5, 2009

If you use a program like AvsPmod or MeGUI to step through your video it'll probably load faster since they're optimized for unencoded files.

MEAT!
Mar 18, 2008

I'm thinking of making tutorial videos again, mostly redoing the ones I did forever ago, but first I'd like to ask if people would prefer the video to be smaller, like only recording a section of my screen at something like 800x600 or 1280x720, or if they would prefer if I recorded my whole screen at 1920x1080.

frozentreasure
Nov 13, 2012

~
If you're not using your whole screen, I think you could probably just do 1280x720.

Mico
Jan 29, 2011

A billion dollars.
It'd probably be easier to see what you're doing if you kept it zoomed in on the important stuff.

Geemer
Nov 4, 2010

MEAT! posted:

I'm thinking of making tutorial videos again, mostly redoing the ones I did forever ago, but first I'd like to ask if people would prefer the video to be smaller, like only recording a section of my screen at something like 800x600 or 1280x720, or if they would prefer if I recorded my whole screen at 1920x1080.

Remember that most people won't put the video in fullscreen, so zooming in on the action is probably a good idea.

MEAT!
Mar 18, 2008

Alright perfect, my thoughts exactly. I was just wondering since most of the tutorial videos I see nowadays are fullscreen and I wasn't sure if that's how people prefer it or if it was just the author being lazy.

YamiNoSenshi
Jan 19, 2010

MEAT! posted:

Alright perfect, my thoughts exactly. I was just wondering since most of the tutorial videos I see nowadays are fullscreen and I wasn't sure if that's how people prefer it or if it was just the author being lazy.

Laziness. I would make sure everything is visible at a lower viewing resolution, since I imagine people will put the videos off to the side while they're following along, and not everyone has a huge display or two monitors.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rocket Baby Dolls
Mar 3, 2006

Normally I don't make aesthetic criticisms in other peoples' homes, but that rug looks like a beaver exploded. If meat is murder, then that rug is at least a severe beating.
Whatever happened to the intended Discworld series LP?

I'm still going to carry on with my screenshot driven Ace Patrol LP. Is two concurrent LP's a negative thing? I'm not planning on doing Discworld as it's been announced, I'm just meaning in general.