Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mecha Gojira
Jun 23, 2006

Jack Nissan

BlitzBlast posted:

Filling in holes. On the left in both pictures you can see the original piece, and on the right is how it looked after an hour of messing with putty. Oh, turns out that you're not supposed to try and fill in the whole thing at once like I did, so all of my troubles were soley due to my own stupidity. :downs:

Also, Mecha Gojira, with part 4 done the guide has everything a new builder would actually need to know to assemble a kit covered. You could probably make the new thread now, or after I finish the topcoat section.

No worries. Take your time. I'll probably have a new thread up by Monday. In the meantime, taking any last minute requests, concerns, and/or comments.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

slightpirate
Dec 26, 2006
i am the dance commander
I was speaking to whole package. I've snapped together probably a dozen kits from SD's, HG's, and MG's and more recently a couple RG's. I've gotten vigilant about the decals too. Why I started doing the decals with RG's I'll never know. I've always wanted to paint something up, figured I'd get some HG's to practice on.

A long while back I got drunk and tried to use $.99 hobby lobby acrylic on unprimed plastic with a brush.. so I'd like to take an honest crack at doing some legit painting. I have all sorts of neat color ideas too! I have a folder of photoshopped suits I've done up in different color schemes. One of my favorites was a Samus Aran scheme'd Gouf.

Oblique Angle
Feb 11, 2011

God or the devil? Why not surpass them both?!
Alright, so there's been some negative talk about MG Unicorn for various reasons, some of which I think are more hyperbole than anything. I think it's finally time to see for myself.

I've got some ideas for how to make the psycoframe look better, and painting should either tighten up the moving parts to make them less iffy or make the whole thing a giant mess of scratched paint. We'll find out! :getin:

Three Cookies
Apr 9, 2010

If I have one positive thing to say about the MG Unicorn, it is amazing when that thing falls off a shelf and breaks.

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

some people just wanna watch the world burn
If I have one positive thing to say about the MG Unicorn, it is amazing that they managed to make the entire transformation gimmick work. Sure the kit is incredibly flimsy because of it, but drat if that isn't impressive.

Also spoilers: your paint is going to scratch so hard that your Unicorn will collapse into a singularity of chipped paint jobs and broken dreams.

The Muffinlord
Mar 3, 2007

newbid stupie?
Sliding part transformations are all pretty finicky even on MG kits. I bet that a PG Unicorn would have it completely figured out.

Oblique Angle
Feb 11, 2011

Trip report:

If nothing else, I'm incredibly impressed with the engineering here. All the little sliding bits work, they don't get stuck and fall off, nothing. I especially like that I don't have to take pieces off and flip them around then re-attach. Very nifty so far. I'm also fond of the little latches on the upper thigh and lower calf sections, they make this a lot less flimsy than I was expecting. The ankle armor is my only gripe so far, it doesn't really sit very tightly in its little grooves; may end up gluing that in place. Also he's gonna be quite a bit taller in Destroy mode, huh?

BlitzBlast posted:

Also spoilers: your paint is going to scratch so hard that your Unicorn will collapse into a singularity of chipped paint jobs and broken dreams.

I've got some ideas for that too. Some pieces aren't going to be painted at all, some are just going to get a little clear coat on them, and there's going to be a lot of selective paint application. We're gonna be here for a while. :v:

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

Oblique Angle posted:

Also he's gonna be quite a bit taller in Destroy mode, huh?

MG Unicorn's proportions are completely hosed. In Unicorn Mode, it's 19.7 meters tall. In Destroy Mode, it's supposed to be 21.7. For comparison, the Nu is 23.

Here's MG Unicorn vs MG Nu vKa. Unicorn Mode is a head shorter, which is about right.

But then you look at Destroy Mode, and oh dear lord it's almost equal in height to the Nu's Invoke Mode. And since the Nu isn't actually supposed to have a transformation, that means that Unicorn DM is taller than the Nu.

Oblique Angle
Feb 11, 2011

Part 2!

Arms are a bit odd. They seem like there should be another piece to cover up that gap in the swinging part on the forearm, but there isn't. Also I'm pretty sure I followed the instructions correctly, but I can't get the shoulder armor to transform exactly like the manual shows. The little rotating bit at the tip just seems to get stuck in the position shown rather than rotating all the way around. Not a big deal really, just odd.

SethSeries
Sep 10, 2013

Oblique Angle posted:

Alright, so there's been some negative talk about MG Unicorn for various reasons, some of which I think are more hyperbole than anything. I think it's finally time to see for myself.

I've got some ideas for how to make the psycoframe look better, and painting should either tighten up the moving parts to make them less iffy or make the whole thing a giant mess of scratched paint. We'll find out! :getin:

I can't believe I never did this.

The Muffinlord
Mar 3, 2007

newbid stupie?
Why ARE you doing that? Taking everything off the rails seems like it would just add excess confusion to any decent build.

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
It's what I do too, but I end up organizing by color part instead of runner. It helps to organize by runner when you're dealing with a shitload of parts, though, I admit.

The Muffinlord
Mar 3, 2007

newbid stupie?
You're all loose cannons! I'd go absolutely mad if someone did that to my kits. Unless it was organized by step.

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

The Muffinlord posted:

Why ARE you doing that? Taking everything off the rails seems like it would just add excess confusion to any decent build.

Some people just have different building styles. v:shobon:v If you get everything off the runners and denub them first thing, you can just assemble everything like lego instead of constantly stopping. You can generally identify parts by looking at the instructions anyways.

Oblique Angle posted:

They seem like there should be another piece to cover up that gap in the swinging part on the forearm, but there isn't.

This is an issue on the MG and the HG, though I've found the MG's to be stable enough. Much better than the HG, which is liable to just fall off whenever you try and move it.

quote:

Also I'm pretty sure I followed the instructions correctly, but I can't get the shoulder armor to transform exactly like the manual shows. The little rotating bit at the tip just seems to get stuck in the position shown rather than rotating all the way around. Not a big deal really, just odd.

I ran into that issue too. The shoulder transformation is just a mess in general, there's so much going on in such a tiny area.

Oblique Angle
Feb 11, 2011

8 years of playing with legos means that I just work better if I don't have to constantly stop and clip more parts out. Makes for a cleaner workspace too, since i can just dump all the little nubs into the trash after I finish trimming each runner.

Also, part 3!

The beam magnum is my absolute favorite Gundam weapon, so I'm pleased that it's well put together. The bazooka is okay, but that magazine will probably need to be glued in place, as there's nothing really keeping it there other than a little friction.

The torso transformation is nice and solid, and that latch on the back only improves things. The head is the only case of needing to take bits off to flip them, which is very impressive. The transforming v-fin was a nice touch, but I probably won't use it since it's so delicate and finicky. The swinging parts on the shield will need some work; having the back of the white pieces show through is just plain ugly.

I like this guy a lot so far, and it'll only improve with more work. I'm thinking some silver on the back of the psycoframe and maybe some clear red on the front so it's not so pink. I almost don't want to paint the dark blue on the backpack and feet since it's such a nice color, but they have some nasty nub marks that have to go.

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

Oh God, what have I done. :cripes:

Also, it's funny that you talk about beam magnums, because you can see my silly beam magnum drum magazine abortion in that shot. Kinda comes from having so many of the drat things but nothing I feel like putting them on.

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

I mean, who would have noticed another madman around here?

I love my Hi-Nu, it isn't totally proportionate but it's such a fun build.
I need to paint it someday though. (and fix the hip, the swivel there is too tight so it just snapped)

Ignimbrite
Jan 5, 2010

BALLS BALLS BALLS
Dinosaur Gum

Oblique Angle posted:

Also I'm pretty sure I followed the instructions correctly, but I can't get the shoulder armor to transform exactly like the manual shows. The little rotating bit at the tip just seems to get stuck in the position shown rather than rotating all the way around. Not a big deal really, just odd.

Pull down on the little rotating bit with your pointer finger while at the same time pushing in with your thumb. I figured this one out after pulling apart the shoulders a few times figuring out how the transformation works. Also, it doesn't hurt to glue the top plate of the shoulder in if it keeps coming off all the time, just make sure it's only that plate being glued :v:

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

Oblique Angle posted:

The torso transformation is nice and solid, and that latch on the back only improves things.

That's what you think now, but wait till you put the whole thing together. :allears:

S-Alpha posted:

MG Hi-Nu's a fine kit. Only real flaw is the tubes holding the funnels up are pretty doofy.

Zedd posted:

I love my Hi-Nu, it isn't totally proportionate but it's such a fun build.

MG Hi-Nu introduced the kit's current official proportions actually. Yes, it's supposed to be smaller than the Nu.

Caros
May 14, 2008

S-Alpha posted:

Also, it's funny that you talk about beam magnums, because you can see my silly beam magnum drum magazine abortion in that shot. Kinda comes from having so many of the drat things but nothing I feel like putting them on.

As a man who has built this kit, I have two suggestions.

1. Don't build its rifle. The Hi-Nu rifle is by far the ugliest main weapon on any Gundam I have ever built, you will be dissapointed, give it the bazooka instead.

2. Do not, under any circumstances, drop the model once it is assembled. The leg can, and will destroy the hip joint, and the propellent tanks have tiny grey pieces on them that you will never find no matter how hard you look.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Oblique Angle posted:

I like this guy a lot so far, and it'll only improve with more work. I'm thinking some silver on the back of the psycoframe and maybe some clear red on the front so it's not so pink. I almost don't want to paint the dark blue on the backpack and feet since it's such a nice color, but they have some nasty nub marks that have to go.

I'm actually just about to start painting mine, and was thinking either what you are for the psycoframe or doing a candy coat. I plan to try it on the pink runners this weekend to see how it works.

Mecha Gojira
Jun 23, 2006

Jack Nissan
The Hi-Nu Gundam was always smaller than the Nu Gundam, at least head-height wise. The real disappointment with the MG is that it strayed hard from the original line-art, which is kind of a sin in my opinion, but you have to understand that I'm an unrepentant Izubuchi-design fanboy.

Kinda bummed that the Robot Damashii, while it retains the line-art proportions, doesn't have the same paintscheme as the lineart. I get why the model kits just use solid blue pieces on the funnels, but the toy really should've had the stripes.

Edit: Also, should be way more purple.

Mecha Gojira fucked around with this message at 02:48 on Jan 11, 2014

Kuroyama
Sep 15, 2012
no fucking Anime in GiP

The Muffinlord posted:

You're all loose cannons! I'd go absolutely mad if someone did that to my kits. Unless it was organized by step.

That's pretty much how I do it. I organize everything by step/body part, and then do all steps of my denubbing process for each baggie before moving on to the step and the actual building.

Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

Oblique Angle posted:

Trip report:

I've got some ideas for that too. Some pieces aren't going to be painted at all, some are just going to get a little clear coat on them, and there's going to be a lot of selective paint application. We're gonna be here for a while. :v:

It likely won't go according to plan. Not to be a dick, but painting the unicorn is a nightmare. I tried for some green pyschoframe, used a good amount of future and the son of a bitch still scratched. I love the unicorn's design, hate the kit.

Mecha Gojira posted:

The Hi-Nu Gundam was always smaller than the Nu Gundam, at least head-height wise. The real disappointment with the MG is that it strayed hard from the original line-art, which is kind of a sin in my opinion, but you have to understand that I'm an unrepentant Izubuchi-design fanboy.

I think the redesign is by izubichi, but he lost a lot of the original designs charm. I want my hi nu to be a fat bastard.

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

HG V2, Star Build Strike, Universe Booster Power Gate, and MG Build Strike Full Package are out in Japan, and reviews are already up on Gundam Guy.

Things of note:

To nobody's surprise, the V2's wings have holes for a WoL effect part. It actually looks pretty different from the 1/144's though, so I guess I wasted that $17. drat you Bandai, I thought you were lazier than this! :argh:

The V2 seems to be in scale with the HG V, so you can kind of view it as a preview for the inevitable MG's proportions.

Also you can totally just stack backpacks on the Build Strike. I'm waiting for the inevitable All Of The Backpacks custom.

BlitzBlast fucked around with this message at 20:03 on Jan 11, 2014

TARDISman
Oct 28, 2011

BlitzBlast posted:

Also you can totally just stack backpacks on the Build Strike. I'm waiting for the inevitable All Of The Backpacks custom.

Star Build Strike Full Package Mk II Custom Ver Sei. It'll be glorious!

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."
Has anyone made the Gaplant Hrairoo HG kit? It seems like one of the most prototypical prototype designs, and I dig that it's a Gundam-style machine with a mono-eye. But I'm trying to figure out what the extra bits do, am I right in that it has one sub-arm which normally fits to the back of the skirt and holds the rifle in MA mode, which can also plug into the back of the shoulder binders? And what do the shoulder binders do, one opens up and appears to have another hardpoint in it you can plug the rifle into, the other appears to be different, does it have another gimmick?

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

Sunrise you jerks, don't play with my heart like this. :argh:

The Muffinlord
Mar 3, 2007

newbid stupie?
I wish the MG FAZZ wasn't such a huge pile. Maybe if they do a Build FAZZ, we'll get an MG one with modern construction. I love the Double Zeta and would really like to see a nicer kit.

SethSeries
Sep 10, 2013

Hey for those looking to pre-order the MG X, Amazon has it available for pre-order for 49.99 with Prime shipping.

http://www.amazon.com/Bandai-Hobby-GX-9800-Gundam-After/dp/B00GNNG2NC/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1389761610&sr=8-1&keywords=MG+Gundam+X

TARDISman
Oct 28, 2011

ManSeriesBrofist posted:

Hey for those looking to pre-order the MG X, Amazon has it available for pre-order for 49.99 with Prime shipping.

http://www.amazon.com/Bandai-Hobby-GX-9800-Gundam-After/dp/B00GNNG2NC/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1389761610&sr=8-1&keywords=MG+Gundam+X

That is so much more reasonable than the one I saw a couple days ago which was something like $55 with $65 shipping. Shopping for Gunpla on Amazon is kinda hilarious.

Bimmi
Nov 8, 2009

someday
but not today
Well I couldn't say no to that. Should have, but didn't.

I actually hope that they don't make anything else I'm interested in this year because things are already a little out of control here.

edit: added HGUC V2 because I have the impulse control of a small child.

Bimmi fucked around with this message at 06:52 on Jan 15, 2014

SethSeries
Sep 10, 2013

I'm still trying to justify the Impulse Destiny even though it's the variant I'm not as fond of.

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

TARDISman posted:

Shopping for Gunpla on Amazon is kinda hilarious.

If you have Prime, Amazon is straight up one of the best western retailers. Their only flaw is that you kind of have to go hunting for their crazy cheap sales.

ManSeriesBrofist posted:

I'm still trying to justify the Impulse Destiny even though it's the variant I'm not as fond of.

An excuse to get the Destiny's Wings of Light?

SethSeries
Sep 10, 2013

BlitzBlast posted:

If you have Prime, Amazon is straight up one of the best western retailers. Their only flaw is that you kind of have to go hunting for their crazy cheap sales.

An excuse to get the Destiny's Wings of Light?

Oh it's already preordered. Does it actually come with the Wings of Light?

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

Of course not. Go buy Destiny Extreme Blast. :v:
Or parts order the O runner and the WoL effect parts.

Also looking at the new BF OP again, either the scale on those 1/100s is completely hosed or Mao made a custom 1/60 V2 AB.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

ManSeriesBrofist posted:

I want this, but I think a good goal for me this year is not to buy stuff right when it comes out since I have such an insane stockpile already. These things don't ever really go away - in six months or six years I will probably still be able to get one when I'm serious about building it.

I will probably make an exception for truly limited items, but there isn't really that much of the web/event exclusive stuff that really interests me.

Caros
May 14, 2008

ManSeriesBrofist posted:

I do need to eat. You know that right?

Faltion
Jul 4, 2004

I am an anachronism
So who's the first one in the thread with the Sazabi Ver. Ka? I need to live vicariously through you since I haven't had time for Gunpla the last few months and might not ever again thanks to grad school, a puppy, and eventually becoming a dad. Sigh.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SethSeries
Sep 10, 2013

Faltion posted:

So who's the first one in the thread with the Sazabi Ver. Ka? I need to live vicariously through you since I haven't had time for Gunpla the last few months and might not ever again thanks to grad school, a puppy, and eventually becoming a dad. Sigh.

I have it and due to it being a group project and the third guy being a lazy, jobless shut in who I don't feel like dealing with his antics after spending a week with him and other company on New Years it and my Ex-S are sitting untouched.

Edit: Fixed because I couldn't stand to read it.

SethSeries fucked around with this message at 07:54 on Jan 15, 2014

• Locked thread