Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

sweat poteto posted:

Do you get the soapy cilantro effect for ground coriander seeds too? Like in spiced falafel or indian foods?

I do not care for coriander but I like the seeds very much as a spice.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich
no one even spoke to my pressing and urgent szechuan peppercorn commentary :<

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

mindphlux posted:

no one even spoke to my pressing and urgent szechuan peppercorn commentary :<

Yes they do numb. Are you new to Sichuan food? They have a kind of droning citrusy flavor and are delicious.

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

It's a hard world for little things.

contrapants posted:

Is there a good recipe that showcases the cilantro taste?
Bahn mi.

Force de Fappe
Nov 7, 2008

Take fresh warm pita, slather with mango pickle and firm yoghurt. Top with generous handful torn coriander, cucumber batons, tomato wedges. Wrap up, eat over the sink.

Amykinz
May 6, 2007

sweat poteto posted:

Do you get the soapy cilantro effect for ground coriander seeds too? Like in spiced falafel or indian foods?

Cilantro does taste alkaline to me, but I can eat it in salsas/whatevers. The coriander seeds kinda have a fruity-ness to them and taste nothing like the plant to me.

Croatoan
Jun 24, 2005

I am inevitable.
ROBBLE GROBBLE
Cilantro has a soapy taste to me. gently caress y'all. And gently caress cilantro.

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

I really want to post goatse. Instead I only have these🍄.

Happy Hat add this one to your list.

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

When I was young I hated cilantro. I thought it tasted soapy, too.

Then I grew. the gently caress. up.

True story.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
I see now, Grav is a self-hating soaptaster

Wroughtirony
May 14, 2007

GrAviTy84 posted:

True story.

Yeah basically the same here. I just ate a lot of it and eventually acquired a taste for it. It still tastes strong to me compared to say parsley, but I like it, and it doesn't have the soap flavor it used to.

bloody ghost titty
Oct 23, 2008

tHROW SOME D"s ON THAT BIZNATCH
My mother is a soaptaster, don't hate (she is empirically wrong because poo poo owns).

copen
Feb 2, 2003
I was also a soap taster. To make matters worse my dad bought some cat repellent for the x-mas tree that was basically really strong cilantro. I think it put off my cilantro appreciation for an additional 5 years. This article is kind of interesting.

http://www.nytimes.com/2010/04/14/dining/14curious.html?_r=0

Cilantro is the poo poo now.

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

GrAviTy84 posted:

True story.

Yeah, you grew the gently caress up? I guess my dislike of coriander is due to my immature taste buds and not simply not liking something. I suppose that's just not allowed, or evidence of my inferiority to you and your sophisticated tastes. Evidently a mature palate enjoys absolutely every flavour. Well, why don't you pat yourself on the back, and then do a bit more growing up.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
I can't sleep at night knowing that people are preparing my sushi without protection. When I put that sushi in my mouth, I'm eating every other sushi that the chef has ever touched.

http://www.laweekly.com/squidink/archives/2014/01/09/no-more-bare-handed-food-handling-in-california-even-you-sushi-chefs

I propose that we also have an alternative option to eat sushi with dental dams

Steve Yun fucked around with this message at 13:01 on Jan 11, 2014

Dane
Jun 18, 2003

mmm... creamy.

therattle posted:

Yeah, you grew the gently caress up? I guess my dislike of coriander is due to my immature taste buds and not simply not liking something. I suppose that's just not allowed, or evidence of my inferiority to you and your sophisticated tastes. Evidently a mature palate enjoys absolutely every flavour. Well, why don't you pat yourself on the back, and then do a bit more growing up.

Indeed.

This bullshit attitude that not liking something is somehow a lack of maturity is ridiculous. Yeah, I hate the taste of caraway, it's a culinary squick for me. And no, I don't hate other people for liking it, it just has such a pervasive taste that it can ruin food for me quite easily, so I stay away from it.

We're talking about adults with a considered opinion on the taste of something, and that opinion is "no thanks" - it's not a 4 year old throwing broccoli across the room because it has the wrong loving shape or name or has a new and strange smell.

Wroughtirony
May 14, 2007

Dane posted:

Indeed.

This bullshit attitude that not liking something is somehow a lack of maturity is ridiculous. Yeah, I hate the taste of caraway, it's a culinary squick for me. And no, I don't hate other people for liking it, it just has such a pervasive taste that it can ruin food for me quite easily, so I stay away from it.

We're talking about adults with a considered opinion on the taste of something, and that opinion is "no thanks" - it's not a 4 year old throwing broccoli across the room because it has the wrong loving shape or name or has a new and strange smell.

I think the bile is reserved more for the people who insist that disliking cilantro is some sort of uncontrollable genetic trait that makes cilantro taste unbearable rather than people who can admit that they just don't like it.

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

therattle posted:

drat it, don't you argue with that man. He posts pretty pictures on the internet therefore if you can't eat 100 ghost chilis in a row you're just a pussy and your palate needs to mature.

E: Or a field of cilantro. A whole sheep's head. Half formed ducklings in eggs. Or one of any other billion grumpily debated "gross" foods.

Fluffy Bunnies fucked around with this message at 16:30 on Jan 11, 2014

Happy Hat
Aug 11, 2008

He just wants someone to shake his corks, is that too much to ask??

Dane posted:

Indeed.

You are so right!

I am not quite where I actively avoid cilantro, mainly because it just isn't interesting to my palate.. It is kinda like... Well.. Just doesn't bring anything to a dish besides itself. Doesn't really compliment the taste of everything else.

Subjectively I may be wrong - objectively nobody should give a poo poo about my opinion on this subject, because it doesn't matter.

The reason why some people have to excuse their food behavior might be because some people turn into evangelists when they find out that there's something they don't like...

'Oh you don't like apples, try this one... This is excellent... Go on... Try one... I promise you, this one is special... Have you ever heard the proverb about apples and doctors? They really are good for your eyesight... Did you know these random apple facts? Let me subscribe you to this weekly apple newsletter 'the orchard in you' etc...

In cases like these, I would argue that the reason why there's so many people who are 'allergic' is because of the reaction to them simply not liking something..

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

Like wrought said, it's more for the people who justify their dislikes by contorting science and saying that they're born with it or some such poo poo. Still, saying that you unilaterally don't like something so ubiquitous in so many cuisines is pretty immature and I don't see how anyone could think otherwise. That said, I don't like French Onion Soup Mix at all, so I guess we're pretty much the same, or something. ~olivebranch~

I get the food evangelist thing, but, idk, I would say that avoiding all preparations of something based on what minimal experiences you've had in the past that led to your prejudices is pretty immature.

I think we're talking about two distinct groups of people though. Those that tend to not like, and those that will never try something because they hate it. The "tend to not like" crowd I have no qualms with as long as they are open minded and are willing to try new things.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!
What about avocados? My gag reflex triggers every single time an avocado or avocado-flavored anything (guacamole) goes into my mouth. Like you can make me a sushi roll with avocado inside it and not tell me there's avocado and imagine I didn't see it. One bite and I'm fighting the urge to spit it out and throw up all over the table.

I'm pretty sure I wasn't abused with avocados when I was growing up so it can't be that.

Marta Velasquez
Mar 9, 2013

Good thing I was feeling suicidal this morning...
Fallen Rib

Boris Galerkin posted:

What about avocados? My gag reflex triggers every single time an avocado or avocado-flavored anything (guacamole) goes into my mouth. Like you can make me a sushi roll with avocado inside it and not tell me there's avocado and imagine I didn't see it. One bite and I'm fighting the urge to spit it out and throw up all over the table.

I'm pretty sure I wasn't abused with avocados when I was growing up so it can't be that.

I think you're repressing a memory. Abuse is the only reason why anybody would hate avocados, the greatest fruit. :sympathy:

Force de Fappe
Nov 7, 2008

Look at all these words.

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

GrAviTy84 posted:

Like wrought said, it's more for the people who justify their dislikes by contorting science and saying that they're born with it or some such poo poo. Still, saying that you unilaterally don't like something so ubiquitous in so many cuisines is pretty immature and I don't see how anyone could think otherwise. That said, I don't like French Onion Soup Mix at all, so I guess we're pretty much the same, or something. ~olivebranch~

I get the food evangelist thing, but, idk, I would say that avoiding all preparations of something based on what minimal experiences you've had in the past that led to your prejudices is pretty immature.

I think we're talking about two distinct groups of people though. Those that tend to not like, and those that will never try something because they hate it. The "tend to not like" crowd I have no qualms with as long as they are open minded and are willing to try new things.

It's not a loving olive branch when you persist in saying that it's immature and don't see how anyone else could think otherwise. Already people here have said how they think otherwise. I cook a lot; I have a broad range of foods I enjoy. That said, there are some things (not many - but caraway is among them, Dane!) that I just don't like. What is hard to comprehend about that? Do you like every single flavour you come across? Taste is inherently subjective. And what's this poo poo about "unilaterally"? Who else should decide what I do or do not like? A committee?

I have tried coriander many times to check that my tastes haven't changed, or I come across it (and other disliked foods), and I can taste them instantly, and I don't enjoy eating them. If you think that makes me immature then you're an imbecile and frankly, in that case I don't care what you think as your opinions have no credibility.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!

therattle posted:

I have tried coriander many times to check that my tastes haven't changed, or I come across it (and other disliked foods), and I can taste them instantly, and I don't enjoy eating them. If you think that makes me immature then you're an imbecile and frankly, in that case I don't care what you think as your opinions have no credibility.
He's a pretty good cook and knows his poo poo. I think his opinions have credibility whether or not you agree with them.

Chemmy
Feb 4, 2001

edit: don't want to get involved.

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

No Wave posted:

He's a pretty good cook and knows his poo poo. I think his opinions have credibility whether or not you agree with them.

You also think eggs don't belong on burgers which is incredibly wrong, dude.

Chemmy posted:

edit: don't want to get involved.

I'm going to say yes you do just so you get involved.

ChetReckless
Sep 16, 2009

That is precisely the thing to do, Avatar.

GrAviTy84 posted:

Why on earth would this matter? Oh well, lots of other people like this so I guess I have to like it too, otherwise I'm immature? Saying "I don't care for thing" is not the same as "that thing is bad and noone should like it".

What is the threshold for enough people disliking something that it becomes okay to prefer not to eat it because its not to your taste? How many cuisines need to enjoy this or that ingredient before it becomes immature for me not to like it? Four? Six?

I try to have an open mind but I don't enjoy every single thing I put into my mouth. I'll even usually try to have said thing in a couple of different ways/places, just to make sure I didn't get a "bad one" or have it prepared poorly, but sometimes I still don't like it. I guess I'm actually a child.

There is a reason 'taste' is a euphemism for one's subjective enjoyment of something. There are lots of reasons why people won't try some things or continue to eat them after they've tried them and some of them are widely considered more or less valid than others. To suggest that there isn't a single valid (mature) reason to dislike a particular ingredient just because a lot of other people like it is super duper dumb, I have to say.

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

No Wave posted:

He is a good cook but for someone tossing the word immature around a lot, his thoughts on the subject are remarkably immature. I resent being judged by someone because there are some flavours which, despite trying them many times, I simply don't like.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

therattle posted:

He is a good cook but for someone tossing the word immature around a lot, his thoughts on the subject are remarkably immature. I resent being judged by someone because there are some flavours which, despite trying them many times, I simply don't like.
There's space for disagreement in this world...

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

contrapants posted:

I think you're repressing a memory. Abuse is the only reason why anybody would hate avocados, the greatest fruit. :sympathy:

Tomatoes are the greatest fruit.

Marta Velasquez
Mar 9, 2013

Fallen Rib
I just steeped some dried cilantro in a tea ball. A few things I found:

1. If you do this, the cilantro fits out the holes in the tea ball, making the ball useless and just something else to clean.
2. Don't bother doing this.
3. I've determined cilantro tastes like "herb."

Maybe it needs the other flavors in dishes to complement, but it doesn't really seem to stand up on its own. I guess my opinion is indifference. I'm not sure where on the age range this puts my taste buds.

SubG posted:

Bahn mi.

After looking it up, this sounds delicious. I'm going to make cilantro-lime chicken first (recipe comes on the side of the herb container) to see if my wife likes it before I try to make anything she's never heard of. She claims to dislike cilantro, so I want to try it in something she's more likely to enjoy first.

Marta Velasquez
Mar 9, 2013

Fallen Rib

Scientastic posted:

I think we've found the next debate.

Compromise: Whenever I make an avocado sandwich, it's usually made of avocado, tomato, Romain lettuce or arugula, and a little mayo. It unites us, like a black and white cookie.

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

No Wave posted:

There's space for disagreement in this world...

Yes, precisely. There is space for people to not like things and not be called immature for it.

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

therattle posted:

Yes, precisely. There is space for people to not like things and not be called immature for it.

Would you prefer it if you were called a genetic oddity?

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

Scientastic posted:

Can't argue that. I don't think any single food would impoverish my life by its disappearance as much as tomatoes. (maybe beef. MAYBE. But only because I'm low-carb)

Probably... 75% of my favorite dishes have tomato in them.

therattle posted:

21st century freedom: the freedom to be perceived however you want to be perceived... gl with that

sweat poteto
Feb 16, 2006

Everybody's gotta learn sometime

GrAviTy84 posted:

Would you prefer it if you were called a genetic oddity?

I'm down with that.

Now, down to serious business: tounge/tongue.

tarbrush
Feb 7, 2011

ALL ABOARD THE SCOTLAND HYPE TRAIN!

CHOO CHOO

No Wave posted:

Can't argue that. I don't think any single food would impoverish my life by its disappearance as much as tomatoes. (maybe beef. MAYBE. But only because I'm low-carb)

Probably... 75% of my favorite dishes have tomato in them.

21st century freedom: the freedom to be perceived however you want to be perceived... gl with that

Oddly, I agree with the above, yet cannot stand raw tomato.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

tarbrush posted:

Even pico de gallo?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

tarbrush posted:

Sorry but this begs the question of if you've ever had a perfectly ripe tomato still warm off the vine. I have a hard time believing someone could not like that.