Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

haveblue posted:

This season is an endless series of funny, intense, impeccably produced and executed moments with no clear order or relationship to each other.

You just summed up the whole season for me in one sentence.

It's got a lot of good stuff that keeps me here, but man oh man, did it go flying off the loving rails. They are terrible at universe building, and should stick to character building in the future.

EDIT: Seriously, the rules for the universe the show has been set in are as schizophrenic as the rest of the story. Witches hold immense massive power on the world stage with councils and queens and governments... while witches are dying out and consist of a house of like 8 people who are all murdering the poo poo out of each other, with the only supreme being insane.

Which is it, Coven? I have no idea what the gently caress is going on. Also who are the hipster guys in the suits that keep showing up? Why did the council not bother to send anyone ever again if it exists when people keep dying left and right?

Blazing Ownager fucked around with this message at 10:10 on Jan 10, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pastrymancy
Feb 20, 2011

11:13: Despite Gio Gonzalez warning, "Never mix your sparkling juices," Bryce Harper opens another bottle of sparkling grape and mixes it with sparkling cider.

1:07: Harper walks to the 7-11 and orders an all-syrup Slurpee.

1:10-3:05: Harper has no recollection of this time. Aliens?
Also, what on earth kept that Council in place if they weren't even particularly good at being witches? Every governing body has to have something to enforce what it establishes. Those two older witches with Myrtle seemed pretty useless.

mclast
Nov 12, 2008

catchphrase over
I want to see the charter for that council.

We heretofore swear,
to uphold our duty,
in presiding over like three teenagers and that bitch Fiona

OmegaBR
Feb 14, 2012

Come to me .... and live forever.

Pastrymancy posted:

Also, what on earth kept that Council in place if they weren't even particularly good at being witches? Every governing body has to have something to enforce what it establishes. Those two older witches with Myrtle seemed pretty useless.

Part of me hopes some high ranking witch shows up in the final episode with those guys in the suits, and explains/admits that Miss Robichaux's has become the dumping ground for all the undesirable witches that come to light (black, down syndrome, bitchy actress, only-power-is-murder-vagina.) Also that Fiona was essentially made queen of them and allowed to goof off around the world to separate her from meddling in the business of the real Supremes. Of course she'd be glad that they've all predictably killed each other, and the Voodoo competition to boot.

Asiina
Apr 26, 2011

No going back
Grimey Drawer
I think a general rocks fall, everyone dies is the best we can hope for in this season.

They should have left the witch hunters until the very last episode, made the rest of the season about the feud between the voodoo group and the coven while trying to find the next supreme. Then at the beginning of the last episode we get Hank's backstory as a witch hunter and he successfully pulls off the murder, winning his father's respect for a feel good ending.

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌
Yo, TV Characters, when another TV Character wants you to do some weird ritual thing where you symbolically accomplish something, they're probably going to kill you from behind.

Grem
Mar 29, 2004

It's how her species communicates

So, where's the horror in this season? I mean, there's literally no one in this show that isn't a horrible person that's seen and done a million things the average person would deem "horror" worthy. No regular couple stuck in a murder house, no sane people trapped in an asylum, just witches who murder each other.

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Now who looks even dumber?

Beef Witch

Blazing Ownager posted:

In other words where the gently caress are the creepy rituals happening in the swamp that summon hosed up demons and such from the intro? That intro feels like witches, the show does not. The mouse trap scene was pretty cool and we needed more stuff like that.

This is the biggest bummer for me. That intro and the marketing for this season was rad as hell and the actual show is just so loving dumb.

gently caress this last episode was bad. Stevie Nicks didn't do a goddamn thing except make me feel bad about her voice going out. They're still introducing new storylines without even remotely caring about resolving old ones. There's no clear rules or universe and absolutely everyone is either a terrible person or dumb as hell or both. gently caress it's just so frustrating as this season had so much goddamn potential.

The theremin scene was awesome and there have been other great moments but this isn't a clip show there needs to be at least some coherence.

And what's the point of the witch hunters? Oh we're a super power ancient international organization that's dedicated to eradicating witches OH NOW MAYBE WE SHOULD REALLY WIPE THOSE BITCHES OUT THEY SOMEHOW MAGICKED OR MONEY AWAY.

What?

Asiina
Apr 26, 2011

No going back
Grimey Drawer
The more I think about it, the more I really wish they had completely restructured this season. They could still have many of the same elements but just put them in a different order for a more coherent story. This feels very much like a first draft. They just brainstormed a bunch of ideas about witches and threw them all together.

CalumPanala
Jan 10, 2014

Asiina posted:

This feels very much like a first draft. They just brainstormed a bunch of ideas about witches and threw them all together.

They did something similar in the second season as well. There was the asylum, angels/demons, a serial killer, a mad scientist/mutants and aliens all rolled into one. I enjoyed the season, but at least one of those stories(mutants) never went anywhere and eventually was just killed off without ever moving forward. So I think the large number of possible stories is intentional, but it is disappointing when they can't all live up to their potential.

Captain Mog
Jun 17, 2011

Asiina posted:

The more I think about it, the more I really wish they had completely restructured this season. They could still have many of the same elements but just put them in a different order for a more coherent story. This feels very much like a first draft. They just brainstormed a bunch of ideas about witches and threw them all together.

Yeah, it was way too much at once. If it had been attempted by a different team of actors it would've fallen flat. It really is a testament to the acting on this show that I still am excited to watch every week even if it makes zero sense and the storyline- which is literally like 90% of every TV show ever- is lackluster.

Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

That's a nice set of 11 dynasty points there, it would be a shame if 3 rings were to happen with it
I finally got to see this week's episode.

"Don't be a hater, dear." It's Myrtle's world, we're just living in it.

Asiina
Apr 26, 2011

No going back
Grimey Drawer

CalumPanala posted:

They did something similar in the second season as well. There was the asylum, angels/demons, a serial killer, a mad scientist/mutants and aliens all rolled into one. I enjoyed the season, but at least one of those stories(mutants) never went anywhere and eventually was just killed off without ever moving forward. So I think the large number of possible stories is intentional, but it is disappointing when they can't all live up to their potential.

This season though feels like there are fewer overall stories but more random plot elements. All of the things in asylum were a complete story, even if the ending to many of them was quite abrupt. This, as others have said, feels like a series of unrelated scenes. There are a lot of things that happen that don't feel like they're really going anywhere. Or have seemingly concluded but didn't really go anywhere. What was with coma boy and the murder bees? What was the point of all that? Why did that guy turn into a real minotaur? What's up with zombie Kyle? Cordelia's loss/gain of sight and powers was stupid since she didn't even see the real threat of her husband being a witch hunter just that he was cheating on her. And those are just the things that have been resolved nevermind racist head, queenie's fate, misty's fate, who the next supreme is, fiona's immortality, etc etc which still need to be worked out in three episodes.

Zachack
Jun 1, 2000

CalumPanala posted:

The catch is that the mutants, while not being a whole lot more than "crazy Nazi doctor does Nazi doctor things" still wove into the overall story; they were a means to keep people trapped in the asylum and were created by the process used to bump off another character which in turn brought external scrutiny on the doctor and dominoes tumbling etc. The minotaur, however, went nowhere. It just showed up, did little of importance, died offscreen, and has since been written out of the story because it turns out Marie was trying to kill the coven before Fiona ever showed up, and thus didn't even serve as a bizarre trigger for a war. There's nothing wrong with one-off/secondary stuff if it's used either entertainingly (Murder Santa) or develop characters (Kyle, I guess) but what was the point of the Boy Next Door stuff? It wasn't really entertaining and what character development did it show with Nan, other than the stunning revelation that she, a teen girl, is really into hot boys?

quote:

queenie's fate
I think I read this elsewhere but the assumption is that she's dead-dead because Hank's gun would have been loaded with the magic bullets from the episode's start.

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!
I get the feeling that Papa Legba and Laveau have something planned for Fiona's coven, and that the "truce" is just a means of getting inside to take them all out systematically. Laveau seemed all-to-eager to kill Nan for no real benefit (except to "offer" to Legba), and Legba claiming that Fiona had no soul to offer him could've just been a ruse. I think Laveau is just going to encourage Fiona to kill off all the girls, and it'll turn out that Legba's latest deal to keep Laveau young involved destroying the New Orleans coven.

Or at least, that would be the thing that makes the most sense at this point. And given how this season's been going, it's probably the least likely outcome.

escape artist
Sep 24, 2005

Slow train coming

CalumPanala posted:

I thought Dr. Arden kills the raspers because he felt like all of his experimentation was for naught when he realized just how far advanced the aliens were.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Yodzilla posted:

And what's the point of the witch hunters? Oh we're a super power ancient international organization that's dedicated to eradicating witches OH NOW MAYBE WE SHOULD REALLY WIPE THOSE BITCHES OUT THEY SOMEHOW MAGICKED OR MONEY AWAY.

What?

Of all the insane randomness that amounted to nothing (and will amount to nothing) in this episode, this was the one that bothered me the most. The last episode told us that things were about to escalate. That was good because going from stalled out to moving was something. And then that escalation turns out to be a no risk, effortless bit that has no risk or cost to the characters and little in the way of on screen consequences (oh no, characters that we haven't been given a reason to be interested in are mildly put out and will keep on doing what we already knew they were going to do). Where's the scene of Fiona and Laveau showing up at a board meeting and getting into a out-bitch competition while belittling and harassing these guys? Or a scene where they institute a terror campaign against the witch hunters where they keep waking up in the middle of the night to find Stevie Nicks in their house watching them sleep?

Papa Legba was cool. Why couldn't Fiona sell the show's plotline to him in exchange for being interesting?

KIT HAGS
Jun 5, 2007
Stay sweet

King Vidiot posted:

I get the feeling that Papa Legba and Laveau have something planned for Fiona's coven, and that the "truce" is just a means of getting inside to take them all out systematically. Laveau seemed all-to-eager to kill Nan for no real benefit (except to "offer" to Legba), and Legba claiming that Fiona had no soul to offer him could've just been a ruse. I think Laveau is just going to encourage Fiona to kill off all the girls, and it'll turn out that Legba's latest deal to keep Laveau young involved destroying the New Orleans coven.

Or at least, that would be the thing that makes the most sense at this point. And given how this season's been going, it's probably the least likely outcome.

I got the feeling that when he told Fiona that she didn't have a soul to trade, she was like, "Oh, yeah. Forgot about that."

gnomewife
Oct 24, 2010

Random Stranger posted:

Papa Legba was cool. Why couldn't Fiona sell the show's plotline to him in exchange for being interesting?

This show has no plotline.

Coconut Indian posted:

I got the feeling that when he told Fiona that she didn't have a soul to trade, she was like, "Oh, yeah. Forgot about that."

I think so, too. "You don't have a soul" should be an earth-shattering statement, so her lack of reaction makes it seem like she's already lost it for something else.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

AGirlWonder posted:

This show has no plotline.

Then they should murder a show in their time slot on another network and sell that show's plotline to him. :colbert:

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!

AGirlWonder posted:

I think so, too. "You don't have a soul" should be an earth-shattering statement, so her lack of reaction makes it seem like she's already lost it for something else.

She just seemed like her usual jaded self to me. Her reaction seemed more like one of disappointment that once again she was denied the thing that she wants the most.

Lord Krangdar
Oct 24, 2007

These are the secrets of death we teach.

AGirlWonder posted:

:thejoke:

OmegaBR
Feb 14, 2012

Come to me .... and live forever.
I doubt it'll happen, but kinda hoping we see the circumstances of how Fiona lost her soul, and that it's not just a blunt joke of "you're so bad, turns out you don't have a soul."

Even if it was unintentional or taken in stride at the time. For example, if Zoe no longer has her soul due to the ritual that resurrected Kyle. Something similar.

Lord Krangdar
Oct 24, 2007

These are the secrets of death we teach.

OmegaBR posted:

For example, if Zoe no longer has her soul due to the ritual that resurrected Kyle.

So who did Zoe sell her soul to again? I remember that scene, but not the specific name.

escape artist
Sep 24, 2005

Slow train coming

Lord Krangdar posted:

So who did Zoe sell her soul to again? I remember that scene, but not the specific name.

Azazel

Same demon invoked in the episode of X-Files with the creepy little town and the teachers who were cult members.

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

Also the same demon from the Denzel Washington movie Fallen

Fruity Gordo
Aug 5, 2013

Neurotic, Impotent Rage!

escape artist posted:

Azazel

Same demon invoked in the episode of X-Files with the creepy little town and the teachers who were cult members.

Die Hand die Verletzt! :j:

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

Fruity Gordo posted:

Die Hand die Verletzt! :j:

This episode has the best cold open in TV history.

escape artist
Sep 24, 2005

Slow train coming
Ugh, I guess I'm not sleeping tonight at all. I have to watch Die Hand die Verletzt, and that one episode with Michael J. Anderson in it. Isn't there a part where Mulder thinks Michael J. Anderson (can't remember the character's name) is spying on Scully while she's in the bathroom, when he's really just fixing her toilet?

Die Hand die Verletzt was among my favorite monster of the week episodes, but for some reason I never hear it mentioned alongside the other classic MotW episodes.

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
WHY ARE YOU STILL SMILING

King Vidiot posted:

I get the feeling that Papa Legba and Laveau have something planned for Fiona's coven, and that the "truce" is just a means of getting inside to take them all out systematically.

I would say "Can't be, he even comes in going 'why are you in the house of your greatest enemy, woman?'" but then I remembered NOTHING ON THIS SHOW HAS MADE SENSE FOR WEEKS NOW.

Fruity Gordo
Aug 5, 2013

Neurotic, Impotent Rage!

escape artist posted:

Ugh, I guess I'm not sleeping tonight at all. I have to watch Die Hand die Verletzt, and that one episode with Michael J. Anderson in it. Isn't there a part where Mulder thinks Michael J. Anderson (can't remember the character's name) is spying on Scully while she's in the bathroom, when he's really just fixing her toilet?

Die Hand die Verletzt was among my favorite monster of the week episodes, but for some reason I never hear it mentioned alongside the other classic MotW episodes.
I KNOW RIGHT? The scenes in the snake basement are so loving cool, along with the make-up exam. Also the Anderson episode is Humbug, which is loving all time. Poor Mr Nut is the only legit person in that whole place and Mulder decides he is the biggest creep and makes awesome friends with Lonnie, lol. Tho Lonnie is awesome and :(. Darin Morgan (the guy who played the rapist with the tail in Small Potatoes and the Flukeman) wrote it, and he wrote Clyde Bruckman, Jose Chung's and War of The Poopeaters. Darin Morgan rules.

Fruity Gordo fucked around with this message at 13:49 on Jan 12, 2014

Taliaquin
Dec 13, 2009

Turtle flu

zVxTeflon posted:

Also the same demon from the Denzel Washington movie Fallen
IIRC, Azazel is also one one of the very few demons actually mentioned in the Bible. :catholic:

This show has really shot itself in the foot this season. I'm so disappointed, but I keep telling myself that every show has to have a bad season, and better this one than Lange's last. I know Lange has said she prefers the darker stuff, so maybe season 4 will be more akin to 1 and 2 than the Murphy-fest.

Fly Ricky
May 7, 2009

The Wine Taster
Is it just me or did they recut the title sequence to remove that bitchin' forest skeleton monster? I saw a bunch or horse heads and poo poo. If this means that guy ain't showing up anymore, I don't even know what to say.

Fruity Gordo
Aug 5, 2013

Neurotic, Impotent Rage!
Babe at this stage you're gonna die sad if you want this season to have anything to do with the title sequence.

ultramiraculous
Nov 12, 2003

"No..."
Grimey Drawer

petewhitley posted:

Is it just me or did they recut the title sequence to remove that bitchin' forest skeleton monster? I saw a bunch or horse heads and poo poo. If this means that guy ain't showing up anymore, I don't even know what to say.

Definitely still there. I remember someone I was watching the least episode with talking about how it still creeps them out.

Lord Frankenstyle
Dec 3, 2005

Mmmm,
You smell like Lysol Wipes.

Asiina posted:

This feels very much like a first draft.

I thought this until the last episode. Now I'm thinking it was "Take your Kids to Work Day" and the writers let them write the show to keep em occupied. At this point the only way anything about this season makes sense is if the whole thing is a massive troll.

gnomewife
Oct 24, 2010
The season ends with Rogue waking up at home, realizing it was all a Freudian dream about her fear of sex and the loss of her virginity.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Blazing Ownager posted:

In other words where the gently caress are the creepy rituals happening in the swamp that summon hosed up demons and such from the intro? That intro feels like witches, the show does not. The mouse trap scene was pretty cool and we needed more stuff like that.

I wanted the mouse trap scene to be capped off by a reveal that this was 2008 and Fiona had just caused the Great Recession to destroy one company. That would have redeemed the entire show for me.

Fake edit: but Myrtle playing the theremin and not giving a single gently caress was a real close runner-up.

hughesta
Jun 12, 2012

i know its super duper kooper
cool like up the bitches snitches
a lot of problems with this season probably stem from the attempt to turn it into a spin off series.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kindjal
Dec 10, 2003

Time to let go. Follow me.
I can't find it right now, but I could swear there was an interview or article or something early on that said that the world is pretty much hosed if Fiona ever actually gains immortality. If I'm remembering right, the gist of it was that she'd just get more and more powerful over time and eventually nothing would be able to stop her from taking over. If they would have gone somewhere with that, it could have added a little more drama to her constant attempts to cheat death and maybe even given the witch hunters a decent motivation if they were actually trying to prevent the Fionapocalypse instead of whatever they're doing now.

• Locked thread