Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Power Windows
Dec 29, 2004

Brasky used to ride upon a steed, perchance to spy a lady.

Boner Calhoun posted:

You all may look at me funny but I really like Power Windows. Yeah the '80s synths are cheesy as hell but I don't mind them, and there's some good songs on that one. Mystic Rhythms is the poo poo!

I'ma give you one guess as to what my favorite Rush album is.

Also, holy poo poo, I need this remixed Vapor Trails.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crube
Feb 16, 2006

“Stop seducing me!”

Power Windows posted:

I'ma give you one guess as to what my favorite Rush album is.

Also, holy poo poo, I need this remixed Vapor Trails.

The weird part is that I found my copy at a Walmart of all places. Neither of the Best Buy in my area didn't carry it and FYE didn't have it for some reason. Since it's a Rush record, the chances of it being Parental Advisory is very slim.

Power Windows
Dec 29, 2004

Brasky used to ride upon a steed, perchance to spy a lady.

Crube posted:

The weird part is that I found my copy at a Walmart of all places. Neither of the Best Buy in my area didn't carry it and FYE didn't have it for some reason. Since it's a Rush record, the chances of it being Parental Advisory is very slim.

I normally don't buy from Walmart, but would consider it since they have cheap CD's, and that's what I can afford at the moment.

I agree, though; I was shocked at the number of copies of Bowie's new album they had. Usually Walmart's music section is a jumble of mainstream alt-rock, pop, and country.

Crimson Harvest
Jul 14, 2004

I'm a GENERAL, not some opera floozy!
I totally came in this forum to find people on the internet who agree with me, and this thread was on the first page!

I find that I really like Grace Under Pressure and Hold Your Fire, even if I recognize that they're not super great. Also obviously I really like the first 4 parts of 2112, but who doesn't?

As far as the unmentionable title goes, when I first heard the likes of The Trees I figured nobody could actually take that seriously (right?), so I just assumed it must be satire. That was before high school, when I learned that I was very, very wrong.

SnowDog
Oct 26, 2004

stratdax posted:

CaptainYesterday I think you should mention the movie Rush - Beyond the Lighted Stage. It's a great look at their entire career and the effect and influence they've had.

Agreed.

Also worth mentioning is Neil Peart's writing. It's not all great, and in fact you'll find yourself annoyed with him fairly often, but it's hard to imagine being a hardcore fan and not reading Traveling Music: The Soundtrack to My Life and Times and Ghost Rider: Travels on the Healing Road. Even the times you're annoyed with him, it'll give you a new lens to view his ideas through.

Whatever you do, though, do not read the awful Clockwork Angels novel. I mean, it's bad.

My vote for worst Rush lyric? "Excitement so thick ... you could cut it with a knife."

SgtScruffy
Dec 27, 2003

Babies.

SnowDog posted:

My vote for worst Rush lyric? "Excitement so thick ... you could cut it with a knife."

This is the best Rush lyric of all time, as delivered by Meatwad:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CejJoRIL0TM

AARP LARPer
Feb 19, 2005

THE DARK SIDE OF SCIENCE BREEDS A WEAPON OF WAR

Buglord

SnowDog posted:

Agreed.

Also worth mentioning is Neil Peart's writing. It's not all great, and in fact you'll find yourself annoyed with him fairly often, but it's hard to imagine being a hardcore fan and not reading Traveling Music: The Soundtrack to My Life and Times and Ghost Rider: Travels on the Healing Road. Even the times you're annoyed with him, it'll give you a new lens to view his ideas through.

He is a poor writer and Ghost Rider is terrible.

Have you ever had a friend or relative share a story with you and then you overhear the same goddamned story told over and over as they run into people who haven't heard it yet? By the sixth repeat you're about to bite your own arm off.

That's what Peart does in his book. He lays out the central theme for the reader fairly decently, but every time he subsequently speaks to someone or writes another letter, the reader gets treated to yet another full retelling of the whole lousy saga. And he meets a whooooooole lot of people in the book.

After about the 10th retelling before I was even midway through, I could tell the book was going nowhere and I put it in the Goodwill box. He is a writer who benefits from being constrained to a couple paragraphs of song lyrics.

Severed
Jul 9, 2001

idspispopd
I am so glad we finally have a Rush tribute thread. I discovered Rush about 5 years ago, when I was at the height of my interests in all things metal. Oddly enough, it was the album Signals that started my interest in the band. As trite or pretentious as it sounds, Rush speaks to me in a way that no other band can.

I'm also a little upset that nobody has mentioned Available Light or Between The Wheels as some of their favorite tracks. Those are both incredible songs in my mind.

However, I will agree with the general sentiments that Test For Echo is an average album. I do like a few songs, like Carve Away the Stone, but its probably the one Rush album that I listen to the least currently.

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

Do Not Resuscitate posted:

He is a poor writer and Ghost Rider is terrible.

Have you ever had a friend or relative share a story with you and then you overhear the same goddamned story told over and over as they run into people who haven't heard it yet? By the sixth repeat you're about to bite your own arm off.

That's what Peart does in his book. He lays out the central theme for the reader fairly decently, but every time he subsequently speaks to someone or writes another letter, the reader gets treated to yet another full retelling of the whole lousy saga. And he meets a whooooooole lot of people in the book.

After about the 10th retelling before I was even midway through, I could tell the book was going nowhere and I put it in the Goodwill box. He is a writer who benefits from being constrained to a couple paragraphs of song lyrics.

You might like Traveling Music. It's structured and organized pretty well. On the one hand, I don't know why anyone but the most die hard Rush fan would read one of Neil's books, so there's not a lot to complain about, but my dad, who couldn't name a Rush song if his life depended on it, thought Traveling Music was an engaging travelogue.

It's been a while since I read Ghost Rider, but I remember the second half being pretty good, actually. I liked the whole thing.

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮
Fathom Events is doing a movie theater thing of Clockwork Angles Tour on November 18th.

DroneRiff
May 11, 2009

My first Rush experience was picking up Hold Your Fire at a record fair (back before I knew how the hell you actually shopped at record fairs. Also, holy poo poo that was ten years ago, I'm old!) and it was... interesting to me. Specially considering I was in the middle of that terrible "All metal must be as heavy and as brutal as possible!" phase before getting some refinement. Though I think it was a key seed to helping me enjoy their 80s stuff and not just all their more classic proggy stuff.

Then a year later I got 2112 and it all snowballed from there. Heck I even fairly like some of their 90s output, even though it's not really my thing (also my excuse for liking Yes as much as I do). I'm actually not so keen on their more recent couple of albums, but maybe I just need to give it some time. Main now I'm just motivated to dig out a few classic albums and get rocking.

d0s
Jun 28, 2004

My favorite Rush albums are Moving Pictures, Signals, and Grace Under Pressure (Signals if I had to choose one) but I also really like the 70's albums, from the Zep-ish first few to the later prog stuff. I don't dig the politics though and I'm glad Peart publicly denounced all that. I really don't like anything after Power Windows much at all, but haven't listened to Snakes and Arrows or Clockwork Angels. I'm just wondering if these new albums are anything like the older stuff I mentioned I like or if it's more weird grunge (I like grunge, I just think it's ridiculous and fake coming from Rush).

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

d0s posted:

My favorite Rush albums are Moving Pictures, Signals, and Grace Under Pressure (Signals if I had to choose one) but I also really like the 70's albums, from the Zep-ish first few to the later prog stuff. I don't dig the politics though and I'm glad Peart publicly denounced all that. I really don't like anything after Power Windows much at all, but haven't listened to Snakes and Arrows or Clockwork Angels. I'm just wondering if these new albums are anything like the older stuff I mentioned I like or if it's more weird grunge (I like grunge, I just think it's ridiculous and fake coming from Rush).

What is a Rush grunge album? Counterparts? I guess it's as much a grunge record as Moving Pictures is a new wave record. The influence is there, but yeah, it's not new wave. Counterparts is a pretty great record though, and Snakes and Arrows/Clockwork angels sound a lot more like it than they sound like Moving Pictures.

Give Hold Your Fire another chance.

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

Just found this thread and goddammit, I guess I have to be the guy who stands up for Presto. I really like that record. It's not my favorite, but there's something so earnestly goofy about the lyrics, and I happen to like the whole "how do we cut down on synths? YES MAKE THEM SOUND LIKE PIANOS" thing that happened with that record. But I like cheesy FM synths, so. As far as their worst song, especially lyrically, I've really got to point at Test For Echo. I like other stuff on that record (Driven, Half the World) but the title track (and Resist, now that I think about it) can take a flying leap.

NuclearPotato
Oct 27, 2011

Hey, screw you buddy, I like Test for Echo, the song. :colbert: Musically, at least, the lyrics are pretty goofy (but then, one could say that for about 75% of Rush's entire catalog).

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

Is this where we post Peart's worst lyrics?

quote:

Time is a spiral
Space is a curve
I know you get dizzy
But try not to lose your nerve

Or hell just the entire embarrassing Roll the Bones rap.

egon_beeblebrox
Mar 1, 2008

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

Luigi Thirty posted:

Or hell just the entire embarrassing Roll the Bones rap.

The most hilarious thing they've ever done. Oh Geddy.

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

egon_beeblebrox posted:

The most hilarious thing they've ever done. Oh Geddy.

I think that was Alex actually doing the vocals.

And Neurotica is the jam. The whole second side of RTB is underrated.

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

BigFactory posted:

I think that was Alex actually doing the vocals.

It's Geddy but pitch-shifted and processed isn't it?

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮

Luigi Thirty posted:

It's Geddy but pitch-shifted and processed isn't it?

It is. Geddy rapped it live, too.

NuclearPotato
Oct 27, 2011

I can't say why, but I love the hell out of that Roll the Bones rap. Might be because it's so hilariously out of place when compared to the rest of the Rush catalog. Which reminds me, I've still got to listen to the rest of the Roll the Bones album. I've had it lying around for the longest time, but I've never gotten around to listening to it.

Crube
Feb 16, 2006

“Stop seducing me!”

CaptainYesterday posted:

It is. Geddy rapped it live, too.

Really? I thought that was always played over the PA rather than it being live.

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮

Crube posted:

Really? I thought that was always played over the PA rather than it being live.

I'm going by a second-hand report. I've never seen them do it live.

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

It sounds like it's played from a recording on Rush in Rio.

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 31 days!
This is a particularly amusing/frustrating debate to me, because I actually saw Rush live during the tour for the Roll the Bones album, back when it was released...and yet I'm goddamned if I remember whether Geddy actually did the rap live, or if even back then they'd just decided to use a recording of it during the show. :smith:

Cromulent
Dec 22, 2002

People are under a lot of stress, Bradley.
I've seen them play Roll the Bones a bunch of times and every time it was a recorded sample, sung by a CGI skeleton on the screen.

Which brings me to a major pet peeve of mine with modern Rush - the sheer amount of samples/recorded bits that they use in concert, while pretending to actually be playing them. I really have no problem with samples in general, but it bugs me when I'm hearing 4 vocal lines live, and Alex is pretending to sing one of them. On the Snakes and Arrows tour, during the song with a mandolin solo, Alex picks up a mandolin but it's a sample playing over the PA (there are live clips of his timing being wrong where it's playing over the PA but he hasn't picked it up yet). At that point, I say why bother, just play it on guitar. I'd rather they play stripped down versions of the songs with minimal samples rather than hearing 45% samples. On the last tour they even sampled the ringing feedback note in the Stick it Out intro.

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002
If memory serves, it was around the rtb tour era that they decided to go heavy on triggers and samples, the rationale being that they would have otherwise had to bring more people on stage to play live and the fans would rather see them as a trio and suspend disbelief.

I don't know how scientific that poll was (there was no poll. they didn't want to have to pay more musicians), but whatever. It's a stage show, a la Kiss, and has been for a long time. Still a pretty good show, but I'd probably go and see 4 or 5 shows on a tour if they changed up setlists and played more "live", warts and all.

stratdax
Sep 14, 2006

BigFactory posted:

If memory serves, it was around the rtb tour era that they decided to go heavy on triggers and samples, the rationale being that they would have otherwise had to bring more people on stage to play live and the fans would rather see them as a trio and suspend disbelief.

I don't know how scientific that poll was (there was no poll. they didn't want to have to pay more musicians), but whatever. It's a stage show, a la Kiss, and has been for a long time. Still a pretty good show, but I'd probably go and see 4 or 5 shows on a tour if they changed up setlists and played more "live", warts and all.

Yeah, it's just theatre now, which is still fun but you just have to adjust your expectations. I'm not sure they'd be capable of playing it 100% live now.. they're old. I mean they're basically tuned down to F# so Geddy can still hit the notes in key.

The_Raven
Jul 2, 2004

Upon this a question arises: whether it be better to be loved than feared or feared than loved?
I write lyrics for my band, so I've got an understanding of how hard it can be to write stuff that's meaningful, punchy and memorable - for the right reasons - without being trite. At least I have the luxury of writing for my own voice, unlike Neil writing for Geddy. There are a few instances where the recorded performance isn't precisely what's in the liner notes, where Geddy has tweaked a word here or there, usually for the good of the song. And in a ~40 year period like Neil's, no one is gonna hit a home run every at-bat.

With that said, the indisputable King of All Clunkers has to be in "Alien Shore". It's memorable for the wrong reasons, I haven't listened to it in years, but I can't forget this gem...

"For you and me
We hold these truths to be self-evident
For you and me
We elect each other President"

:barf:

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002
You guys keep raggin' on really awesome rush songs.

Cromulent
Dec 22, 2002

stratdax posted:

I mean they're basically tuned down to F# so Geddy can still hit the notes in key.
This isn't true. Tuning to F# would actually be tuning up a full step, so that's not the case. They actually play most of their stuff in E standard, just how it was recorded, except for 2112, which they downtune a full step to D. They might also play another song or two in D, but by and large, they're still playing in standard.

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

On that topic I listened to the 2007 Genesis tour CD where they play nearly everything a few steps lower for Phil Collins and I have to say the lower key fits the mood of some of their darker '80s output (Mama, Domino) better. It sounds weird on the lighter pop songs.

Rollersnake
May 9, 2005

Please, please don't let me end up in a threesome with the lunch lady and a gay pirate. That would hit a little too close to home.
Unlockable Ben
I've heard over 10 Rush albums, and I'm kind of surprised I don't love them by now. They're very listenable and rarely less than adequate, but I just don't feel truly passionate about them, dammit, and I'm out of reputedly great Rush albums except for Clockwork Angels. I feel like at least a solid 1/3 of almost every Rush album I've heard is too bland to be memorable.

If pressed, I'd probably call A Farewell to Kings my favorite Rush album, followed by Moving Pictures, and then maybe Hemispheres. Power Windows I feel is a much stronger album than Signals or Grace Under Pressure, but I couldn't tell you why.

Also the most embarrassing Peart lyric is clearly "I see red, it hurts my head, it must have been something that I read."

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

Rollersnake posted:

I'm out of reputedly great Rush albums except for Clockwork Angels.

Which records haven't you heard?

Rollersnake
May 9, 2005

Please, please don't let me end up in a threesome with the lunch lady and a gay pirate. That would hit a little too close to home.
Unlockable Ben
I haven't listened to their first album, Caress of Steel, Clockwork Angels, or anything in between Power Windows and Vapor Trails. Or any of their live albums for some reason.

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

Rollersnake posted:

I haven't listened to their first album, Caress of Steel, Clockwork Angels, or anything in between Power Windows and Vapor Trails. Or any of their live albums for some reason.

Disclaimer: I think rush kinda hit their stride in 1984/1985.

1st album: some good songs, I'll give it a B.
COS: couple of dumb songs, great record, Alex apes Jimmy Page and it works. B+
Hold Your Fire: Maybe the best rush album. Seriously so good. Listen to Ged's bass playing throughout the whole thing and your head will explode. A
Show of Hands: Ok, now Geddy's playing the songs from HYF and singing over these ridiculous bass parts live. A-
Presto: Good record with some great songs. I don't like the original cd mix, I don't know if the remaster has warmed it up any. Maybe track down a cassette version? Ok, maybe not. A-
Roll The Bones: A pretty similar type of record to presto, but it has a couple of the best songs in their catalog. Very strong. CD suffers from the same cold sound, can't comment on remaster. A
Counterparts: It's a lot of fans favorite rush album, with good reason. A return to a more hard rock sound, no keyboards, less overdubs + bad 90's straight to digital recording practices. Holds up well. A
Test for Echo: I love it, think it sounds great and I can comment on this remaster, it's the balls. If you like Rush and Dog Years isn't your favorite rush song you're not being honest with yourself. Try to find Neil's instructional videos from this time period. A-
Different Stages: My favorite live album of theres, although I stopped buying them when they started putting out one every other year. A
Vapor Trails: Amazing record! The mix was really bad. It made your ears bleed. The remixed version adds guitar solos, but other than that I haven't given it a really critical listen. A
Snakes and Arrows: I don't like this one as much as most, I guess. Didn't stop me from buying it 3 times, but I'm a colossal dummy. Some cool songs, Far Cry is great, some snoozers. B+
Clockwork Angels: It's really pretty great despite the foolish steampunk concept. A-

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

Alternately:

1st album: How warmed-over do you like your hard rock pastiche? First and last songs only, skip the rest. Spin "Here Again" if you need to fall asleep.
COS: Play only if it's your turn to host D&D night. A few good riffs, a couple better hooks, a whole lot of embarrassing.
All the World: Overlong, interesting in that this is from before they started to focus on making the live experience sound exactly like the studio versions. If there was live film from this period, it'd be rad as gently caress.
Exit Stage Left: Nothing to hear here that they hadn't already done on record. The video is pretty awesome, especially if you want to chuckle at new-wave-mullet Alex in his red suit jacket.
Hold Your Fire: Rush trying so hard to not be Rush that they fall through a dimensional wormhole and come out the other side as an entirely different band. You may actually dig it if you like Power Windows---it's closer to that in sound than anything before or after.
Show of Hands: Thin sounding, even remastered. Again, the video trumps the record.
Presto: Underrated, but very odd. Falls into a weird hole. Doesn't sound like the 80s, but doesn't sound like the 90s, either. The band seemed to have compromised on the "too many keyboards" complaint by dialing them down to bare minimum (and making most of them piano parts) and then having Alex track eight zillion guitars everywhere and then soaking them all in delay.
Roll The Bones: If there's any Rush album that suffers from :words:, it's this one. A couple great songs, a couple embarrassments, a whole lot of :words:. Don't rap, guys. Ever.
Counterparts: Hey, we forgot we own amplifiers! Let's use them. Also, let's master this hot as gently caress like the kids are all doing these days. Actually really good, but man, the preachy moments really stick out. Moreso than usual.
Test for Echo: Dog Years is poo poo, and most of this record (everything after the first three songs) is loving boring, which makes me sad.
Different Stages: Agreed with Factory, oddly enough - this is probably their best live record. And since you like Kings, the third disc is a live set from that period, which is in itself probably worth the price. No video to go with this record, oddly enough.
Vapor Trails: WHAT? I CAN'T HEAR YOU. WHAT? HOLD ON, LET ME TURN THE MUSIC DOWN. WHAT? I'M SORRY ALL I CAN HEAR IS THIS RINGING IN MY EARS.
Rush in Rio: Probably the best live record they've put out of the giant stack of them in the 00s-10s.
R30: Kinda overlong, feels a little warmed-over, especially with the biggest hits that have been trotted out eight bajillion times.
Snakes and Arrows: He said he heard this one already actually.
Snakes and Arrows Live: Not bad, but man, they took a crack at a couple songs Geddy just can't do anymore. Circumstances is wince-worthy on performance, though the riff is still massive. Again, video over CD always.
Time Machine Tour Live: Haven't heard it. Is anything on it that hasn't been in their sets constantly since the 90s? I know, the back half of Moving Pictures, but other than that?
Clockwork Angels: I just can't get into it. I dunno.
Clockwork Angels Live: Haven't heard it. Again, anything on it that hasn't been trotted out a gringullion times already?

Also Geddy Lee's solo album is rad.

hexwren fucked around with this message at 22:30 on Jan 13, 2014

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

Allen Wren posted:

Also Geddy Lee's solo album is rad.

Alex's? Not so much.

Cromulent
Dec 22, 2002

Allen Wren posted:

Clockwork Angels Live: Haven't heard it. Again, anything on it that hasn't been trotted out a gringullion times already?
Lots, actually. Grand Designs, The Body Electric, Territories, Where's My Thing, Middletown Dreams, Manhattan Project. Some of those even have a live string section. Pretty cool. Too bad the other half of the album is the songs we've heard a million times, plus basically the entirety of Clockwork Angels, which does absolutely nothing for me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮
Two things:

1) A limited-edition super deluxe vinyl of the self-titled debut album is being release in less than a month.

2) Because they just toured for Clockwork Angels, there will be no 40th Anniversary Tour. However...

• Locked thread