Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.

Mega64 posted:

Wasn't that guy the adviser to the king of the nation he kidnapped? I'd like to find out how a literal skeleton got a position like that.

Yep, and like Electric Phantasm says, you fight him in a giant tree.

"Um...sire, your adviser appears to be...well...a little on the skeletal side."
"It's a skin complaint; he doesn't like to talk about it."
"But-but he's just bones! He doesn't even have skin!"

"I'm auditioning for the part of The Phantom of the Shut-your pie-hole, meatbag! Now listen to your king *cough* whose kingdom I'll be taking over shortly *cough*"
\

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Davoren
Aug 14, 2003

The devil you say!

Anyone have any experience installing mods for VII on the Steam version? I'm trying to use this: http://www.moddb.com/mods/final-fantasy-vii-ultrahd-fan-made-remake and it seems to mostly be working, but the text is wrapping outside of the dialogue boxes, preventing the full messages from being read.

Meiteron
Apr 4, 2008

Whoa! You're gonna be a legend!

ShadeofDante posted:

Thank you! Music like this is really what makes the game stand out above other MMOs.

And yeah, makes sense that they really can't make a complete OST as they added more awesome music in 2.1 (namely the Hard Mode dungeon theme/battle theme).

Technically those themes are re-added, as they were part of 1.0. If you have Before Meteor or can find it on youtube (getting less and less available now, unfortunately) the tracks are "The Dark's Embrace" and "The Dark's Kiss" respectively.

As for Realm Reborn music, they are making a complete OST, or at least as complete as they can make it; Masayoshi Soken had a lengthy live talk video thing a bit before 2.1 happened where he talked about this a bit.

Something is coming down the pipeline (the preliminary and probably not final title is "After Meteor"), but the problem he's running into is that he's made so much music for 2.0 he literally cannot fit it all onto a blu-ray for release like they did for Before Meteor, he's running over the size limit by some huge amount and has to figure out how to cut it down.

Another great part of the same talk was when he was talking about planning for 2.1 and people on the dev team asked him if he could make, like, 40 new pieces of music for it. He didn't manage that much, alas, but at least he's going to be regularly coming out with brand new tracks for version updates, which is great.

bobservo
Jul 24, 2003

I picked up 4 Heroes of Light after playing the Bravely Default demo for 10 hours, and even though it's easy to see how much BD improved on what 4HoL's trying to do, the game still seems like it's worth plugging through. Am I on the verge of making a huge mistake?

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

4 Heroes of Light was not made by the same people as Bravely Default. The only thing they have in common is the art director and being vaguely retro. It is good, and if you're 10 hours in you're through with most of the crappy part of the game where you don't have a full party, so stick with it if you're enjoying yourslf.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Meiteron posted:

Another great part of the same talk was when he was talking about planning for 2.1 and people on the dev team asked him if he could make, like, 40 new pieces of music for it. He didn't manage that much, alas, but at least he's going to be regularly coming out with brand new tracks for version updates, which is great.

Bloody hell. Hopefully he doesn't pull a Mitsuda and put himself in the hospital.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Shaezerus posted:

I wouldn't put it past them to implement a sort of Barrier Change, given Hein was the first to utilize the tactic and 14 is all about the throwbacks (subtle and otherwise), but it won't be the "Weak to one element, absorb all others" method. Elemental damage isn't as big of a thing in this game, as Yoshida doesn't want to exclude certain classes from content based on what weaknesses they can or can't hit. Barrier Changing to absorb fire or ice would completely shut down Thaumaturges.

A barrier that shifts between melee/magic immunity/weakness would be interesting. I think it's been done in other MMOs as well.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:

Evil Fluffy posted:

A barrier that shifts between melee/magic immunity/weakness would be interesting. I think it's been done in other MMOs as well.

You'd still be essentially locking melee classes, though, since them being able to do magical damage takes a long while, and they'll be absolutely terrible at it.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Evil Fluffy posted:

I read this and remembered FFXII's Paling and now my hands are covered with blood, what have you done

Die Sexmonster!
Nov 30, 2005

Evil Fluffy posted:

.hack did this with the Cubia fights and it's awful. Just not worth trying or mentioning.

Mazed
Oct 23, 2010

:blizz:

With this FF3 talk, I kinda want to play it. All signs point to the DS version being crap, and playing a retro NES FF might be kinda fun, but does it have a translation patch around?

Unrelated: Happy Blue Cow, if you're reading this, may you update the link in the OP to the FFXIV thread on MMO HMO? The one there now goes to a way old one for the 1.0 version. :v:

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Mazed posted:

With this FF3 talk, I kinda want to play it. All signs point to the DS version being crap, and playing a retro NES FF might be kinda fun, but does it have a translation patch around?

There's a couple. I'd probably go for one of the newer ones.

Hit or miss Clitoris
Apr 19, 2003
I HAVE BEEN A VERY NAUGHTY BOY

Mazed posted:

I just played and beat FF3 for the first time, and was totally blown away by it. Play the NES version, the final dungeon is kinda hell if you don't have savestates. I can't imagine beating the DS version without walking out of the final dungeon after every couple of bosses, that would probably take 6 hours to beat. I barely believe it's possible to finish the DS version without grinding the gently caress out of it.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

Hit or miss Clitoris posted:

I just played and beat FF3 for the first time, and was totally blown away by it. Play the NES version, the final dungeon is kinda hell if you don't have savestates. I can't imagine beating the DS version without walking out of the final dungeon after every couple of bosses, that would probably take 6 hours to beat. I barely believe it's possible to finish the DS version without grinding the gently caress out of it.

You only get one chance to exit the dungeon after you beat the first boss anyway.

I've only beaten the final boss of FFIII DS once, and that was with a 'gimmick' run where I had no characters in the front lines and I didn't really grind for it. The lesson I take from it is that Bards are amazing.

Armor-Piercing
Sep 22, 2009

Nightly dance
of bleeding swords

Now that I'm back where my DS is, here's my save from after beating the final boss of FF3 DS (that's what the three stars are for, I think):

I don't do low-level runs or anything like that - if anything, I usually overlevel when I'm playing games like this. So yeah, it's not that bad.

No idea where all that gil came from though.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Calaveron posted:

You'd still be essentially locking melee classes, though, since them being able to do magical damage takes a long while, and they'll be absolutely terrible at it.

I think you're misreading me:

Barrier shifts to mode A, 100% melee resist, 0% magic resist.
During the fight it shifts to mode B, 0% melee resist, 100% magic resist.

This swaps periodically during the fight.

When your damage type is being negated you can swap off the boss to secondary objectives like adds or whatever.

I just remembered that Battle for Erebor does something similar for the twin trolls and considering there are octogenarians playing that game I think FFXIV's playerbase could handle something similar. I never played FFXI though so maybe they'd take this to the extreme and make the resisted damage type heal the boss for 500% of damage taken instead. :shrug:

Ballin Stalin
Dec 29, 2009

by Lowtax
Forgive me if it's already been posted, but here's the Remastered FFXHD soundtrack:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TYIa-H6fpTg

Beyond the Darkness' arrangement is absolutely gorgeous.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

Evil Fluffy posted:

I think you're misreading me:

Barrier shifts to mode A, 100% melee resist, 0% magic resist.
During the fight it shifts to mode B, 0% melee resist, 100% magic resist.

This swaps periodically during the fight.

When your damage type is being negated you can swap off the boss to secondary objectives like adds or whatever.

I just remembered that Battle for Erebor does something similar for the twin trolls and considering there are octogenarians playing that game I think FFXIV's playerbase could handle something similar. I never played FFXI though so maybe they'd take this to the extreme and make the resisted damage type heal the boss for 500% of damage taken instead. :shrug:

If you want an alternative, make it similar to the Antlion in FFIV and have it counter physical/magical attacks based on the Barrier Shift.

There are no magical tanks aside from Paladin's Flash, so using a 100% physical reisistant phase would make it more difficult to grab hate.

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

Bongo Bill posted:

4 Heroes of Light was not made by the same people as Bravely Default. The only thing they have in common is the art director and being vaguely retro. It is good, and if you're 10 hours in you're through with most of the crappy part of the game where you don't have a full party, so stick with it if you're enjoying yourslf.

The game does feature several superbosses from 4HoL (Complete with a remixed theme!) and both the Adventurer, who saves your game and gives you access to Norende items, and his fox buddy, show up.

Terper fucked around with this message at 07:23 on Jan 13, 2014

Holidae
Feb 25, 2011

Shove 'em up there again, Dennehy! This time I'll try to just solve the reds!

ApplesandOranges posted:

If you want an alternative, make it similar to the Antlion in FFIV and have it counter physical/magical attacks based on the Barrier Shift.

There are no magical tanks aside from Paladin's Flash, so using a 100% physical reisistant phase would make it more difficult to grab hate.

They have a fight in XIV that features enemies with pretty much 100% physical resist. As long as your magic users arent going balls-to-the-wall, tanks don't have too much trouble holding threat. Abilities that generate threat still do so even without actually causing damage. Just as long as they actually connect. It could be an interesting mechanic.

Eddain
May 6, 2007
Started listening to that FFX Remaster OST and I just realized that Yuna's Theme sounds a lot like Aerith's Theme.

Anonymous Robot
Jun 1, 2007

Lost his leg in Robo War I

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Davoren posted:

Anyone have any experience installing mods for VII on the Steam version? I'm trying to use this: http://www.moddb.com/mods/final-fantasy-vii-ultrahd-fan-made-remake and it seems to mostly be working, but the text is wrapping outside of the dialogue boxes, preventing the full messages from being read.

Delete all that poo poo and do this instead

http://forums.qhimm.com/index.php?topic=13212.0

You're welcome

Trust me this works flawlessly with Steam and looks great. And you can tweak which mods you want from a huge list just by clicking them on and off.

Note: If you do this, you'll "disconnect" your FF7 install from steam. You can play it offline, but you won't get any achievements, can't use the hack tool for massive stats (not that you need it), and configuring and installing the mods actually takes a good amount of time, we're talking at least 5 minutes of letting your computer run there.

That said, once you've got the mods all configured how you want, you can put a shortcut on your desktop and just boot right into the game. It only has to do the installation when you change the mods.

Davoren
Aug 14, 2003

The devil you say!

Cool, thanks!

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

Don't tease the Octopus, kids!

I hope they locked that hooligan up, too. He ran over my house with his drat floating school!

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Davoren posted:

Cool, thanks!

No problem! I personally find it to look too weird to have like Cloud and Barrett be really high poly and everybody else be blocky, so I turned almost all the mods off and then enabled a few manually.

But the mods for textures & battle screens are amazing, higher resolution backgrounds and movies are great.

And rather than use some weird advent children model, I just use the battle screen models for both the battle screen and the overworld, the way FFVIII did. FFVII had those weird popeye lego models, its pretty hard to watch nowadays. But the battle screen models work fantastic.

Do whatever you want though, that's the great part of that loader. You can get whatever mods you want off the net and then toss em in there.

Kuhmondo
Jul 2, 2009

Ballin Stalin posted:

Forgive me if it's already been posted, but here's the Remastered FFXHD soundtrack:

Now I definitely can't wait for release. They slowed the tempo down a bit of some of my favorites like Besaid and Launch/Takeoff I noticed; not sure if I like the old Besaid over the newer one yet. Although the slower tempo on Beyond the Darkness fits way better than the original. The regular battle theme is loving awesome right at the start too with the addition of the electric guitar(correct me if i'm wrong?).

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Ready to Poyozo Dance all over your face.

Schwartzcough posted:

I hope they locked that hooligan up, too. He ran over my house with his drat floating school!

You got off easy, man. Bastard forced his way into my house and demanded I play cards with him. Jackass wound up spreading the Random rule to this region before he left. :argh:

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

FFX HD Soundtrack, I'm glad they didn't change otherworld too much, sounds great :black101:

Battle theme I dunno about though, the trumpets are kinda cool but the song doesn't come together as much, feels all over the place. Its cool but I think it'll get old.

Mustach
Mar 2, 2003

In this long line, there's been some real strange genes. You've got 'em all, with some extras thrown in.

Armor-Piercing posted:

No idea where all that gil came from though.
Easy: There's nothing to spend it on in III.

Systematic System
Jun 17, 2012

Zaphod42 posted:

FFX HD Soundtrack, I'm glad they didn't change otherworld too much, sounds great :black101:

Battle theme I dunno about though, the trumpets are kinda cool but the song doesn't come together as much, feels all over the place. Its cool but I think it'll get old.

Otherworld wasn't rearranged, although they are using the CD version rather than the PS2 synth'd version. Not everything got a rearrangement, (for example: Ending Theme), or they used a previous arrangement (e.g. Via Purifico is from the Piano Collections).

Hit or miss Clitoris
Apr 19, 2003
I HAVE BEEN A VERY NAUGHTY BOY

Mustach posted:

Easy: There's nothing to spend it on in III.

If you felt like walking all the way back down to Eureka, you could get all the Shuriken you'd ever need for Dark Cloud, even though like 15 of them will kill it.

mid83
Oct 15, 2012
For those of you getting FF X/X-2 HD, are you getting the PS3 or Vita versions? I've had the PS3 version preordered for a while but now that I picked up a Vita over the holidays, I'm wondering if I should switch to the Vita version. Are there any significant differences between the two versions?

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

Hit or miss Clitoris posted:

If you felt like walking all the way back down to Eureka, you could get all the Shuriken you'd ever need for Dark Cloud, even though like 15 of them will kill it.
And if you were worried about dying, you could buy a Phoenix D...

...oh :(

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

Tx2005 posted:

For those of you getting FF X/X-2 HD, are you getting the PS3 or Vita versions? I've had the PS3 version preordered for a while but now that I picked up a Vita over the holidays, I'm wondering if I should switch to the Vita version. Are there any significant differences between the two versions?

Well, the Vita version only has X on the disc, you get a free download for X-2, I think.

Golden Lumber
May 30, 2013

Hellioning posted:

Well, the Vita version only has X on the disc, you get a free download for X-2, I think.

Is this the case? If so then I'll most likely be buying the vita version!

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Ballin Stalin posted:

Original Seymour Battle is still the best version. I didn't like the HD version at all.

And wow, I had no idea Japanese Seymour sounded so different from Dub Seymour.
Original
English

In the original, not only is his voice quite a bit deeper, he sounds...normal, almost deadpan. The dub made him sound as insane as he is. I especially always loved his gleeful "by all means, try! You should thank me - your death means your father's life!" which is so stoic in the Japanese version.

NikkolasKing fucked around with this message at 04:17 on Jan 14, 2014

mlnhd
Jun 4, 2002

Schwartzcough posted:

Anonymous Robot posted:

At press time, the suspect's only comment was "...whatever"

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
Playing FF9, in that card tournament in Disk 3. Who the gently caress thought Tetra Master was a good idea? Specifically the part where you can arbitrarily lose the little "battles" even if you understand the rules and do everything right?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eddain
May 6, 2007

Last Celebration posted:

Playing FF9, in that card tournament in Disk 3. Who the gently caress thought Tetra Master was a good idea? Specifically the part where you can arbitrarily lose the little "battles" even if you understand the rules and do everything right?

I still never figured out how that drat game worked. I just used all the rarest cards I had and restarted until I won the tournament.