Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Toplowtech
Aug 31, 2004

Ratios and Tendency posted:

Why did they recast Daario?
No one really know. The previous Daario was in the franco-british remake of The Bridge (using the channel tunnel instead of a bridge) last year and is now playing in a German viking-themed show. So either he wasn't interested in playing the Daario role anymore for whatever reason or the GoT producers didn't like him.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.

Tatum Girlparts posted:

I shudder to ask what racist caricature people imagined Oberyn as I guess because the dude looks great and very in line with how he's described.
I wanted the dude from LOST but then he got cast as Jafar :(

Toplowtech
Aug 31, 2004

CapnAndy posted:

I wanted the dude from LOST but then he got cast as Jafar :(
Javier Bardem. See this time the surprise is that he actually dies!

Toplowtech fucked around with this message at 07:01 on Jan 14, 2014

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

Tatum Girlparts posted:

Isn't he a salt though? It's sands who are really dark, salts are just kinda Mediterranean which means they range from really tan to pretty white.

Yes, in the historical documents that GRRM has uncovered about these real people that existed, he is indeed a salty Dornishman, and therefore it would be a slap in the face of white people and history buffs everywhere had the role been given to an actor that was any darker than say, a swarthy Italian. And even that might have been pushing it.

Friendly Factory
Apr 19, 2007

I can't stand the wailing of women
The guy playing Oberyn isn't white or "swarthy" and people who say this are unintentionally saying something rather offensive

wooger
Apr 16, 2005

YOU RESENT?

Friendly Factory posted:

The guy playing Oberyn isn't white or "swarthy" and people who say this are unintentionally saying something rather offensive

He pretty obviously is white, what are you talking about? But I'm sure he's a fine choice for the role.

I always took Dorne as being Spain pretty much, and this guy looks Spanish enough for me.

wooger fucked around with this message at 11:27 on Jan 14, 2014

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus
Yes, clearly I'm the real racist for mocking an awful woman who was terrified they would cast someone with skin that was 'too dark.' Because exact skin tone/complexion choices must be maintained in order to ensure the GRRM's artistic vision is satisfied.

Friendly Factory
Apr 19, 2007

I can't stand the wailing of women
Race is about more than colour since we just made it all up. Calling Chileans "white" is weird. Calling Chileans "swarthy" or "dark" is also weird. This doesn't even take into account the fact that his skin matches the book description anyways.

edit: ^^^ To be clear, I wasn't actually calling you out. I was more agreeing with you than anything and just adding to your post.

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

TOOT BOOT posted:

I don't understand bookreaders that get all bent out of shape when something doesn't exactly match their internal vision. It implies they feel a sense of ownership over the characters when they're just some schmuck.

They certainly do- they spend a lot of time reading, relating to and forming connections with the characters to the point that they become friends, so anything that doesn't match up with whatever is going on in their heads upsets their obsessions.

Ratios and Tendency posted:

Why did they recast Daario?

Old Daario was... strange looking. Michiel Huisman is very dreamy and HBO likes to take care of actors from their others shows.

*This isn't the explanation, just why I'm not upset by the change

Professor Shark fucked around with this message at 11:07 on Jan 14, 2014

Midnight City
Jun 3, 2013

A 10% levy on BAKED GOODS?!

Recasting Daario is weird, to us it isn't going to make any difference but it's just one more thing the average viewer is going to be confused as poo poo about.

Apoplexy
Mar 9, 2003

by Shine
I have an odd prediction given that Locke is headed for the Night's Watch: Either he takes the role of Donal Noye in fighting to the death at Castle Black, or he takes over Alliser Thorne's role of harassing Jon while Thorne does. It would make sense to use a character already established to make a death interesting (especially if you have a semi-face-turn of Locke).

Lovechop
Feb 1, 2005

cheers mate

Apoplexy posted:

I have an odd prediction given that Locke is headed for the Night's Watch: Either he takes the role of Donal Noye in fighting to the death at Castle Black, or he takes over Alliser Thorne's role of harassing Jon while Thorne does. It would make sense to use a character already established to make a death interesting (especially if you have a semi-face-turn of Locke).

This would be a really cool change. I'd be happy for him to stick around, especially because that guy was so fantastic in his role of a menacing, evil oval office.

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

Apoplexy posted:

Wouldn't he also be a pretty good fit for taking over the role Janos Slynt? After all, we haven't seen the actual Slint since forever, and he wasn't really all that memorable either. Locke on the other hand is a lot more memorable already, and with all his "gently caress the highborn" talk he'd probably have a fair bit of pull among the brothers. But yeah, I could definitely see Thorne taking over Donal Noye's part in killing the giant in the tunnel. So far in the show he's been portrayed as a pretty huge rear end in a top hat, but still a skilled and dutiful ranger. Giving him a honorable last stand could make for a cool bit of characterisation, especially when contrasted with Jon's conflicted feelings about his duty to the Watch. The little "Tonight we fight!" bit we see of him in the trailer seems to support that.

Shockeh
Feb 24, 2009

Now be a dear and
fuck the fuck off.

Midnight City posted:

Recasting Daario is weird, to us it isn't going to make any difference but it's just one more thing the average viewer is going to be confused as poo poo about.

This is my biggest problem with the show at large. I've read the books, and love them, but I always find myself having to help my wife out when she looks confused over who is what where now. It feels like the show sometimes drifts so far into fan service (they're readers, they'll know this is x about y) that it muddies the waters and makes it difficult to follow.

Apoplexy
Mar 9, 2003

by Shine
Janos Slynt is returning, though. So his role will likely just be unaltered.

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

If you think that, along the way, you're not going to fail... you're blind.

There's no one I've ever met, no matter how successful they are, who hasn't said they had their failures along the way.

Janos Slynt will return in... Thunderball

Dikkfor
Feb 4, 2010
The Man with the Golden Cloak

John Dounce
Jan 17, 2012

TOOT BOOT posted:

I don't understand bookreaders that get all bent out of shape when something doesn't exactly match their internal vision. It implies they feel a sense of ownership over the characters when they're just some schmuck.

When I started reading the books I was also watching a lot of It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia. Any time Tyrion came up, I pictured him as Danny DeVito, so I think I have a right to be a little bent out of shape :colbert:. I still think he'd make a great Tyrion.
WHERE DO WHOORES GO?

unlimited shrimp
Aug 30, 2008

Professor Shark posted:

Old Daario was... strange looking. Michiel Huisman is very dreamy and HBO likes to take care of actors from their others shows.
You mean he left his Vietnamese wife so he could bang Dany? I bet he's using again. :smith:

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos

konsum posted:

When I started reading the books I was also watching a lot of It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia. Any time Tyrion came up, I pictured him as Danny DeVito, so I think I have a right to be a little bent out of shape :colbert:. I still think he'd make a great Tyrion.
WHERE DO WHOORES GO?

Varys: OK, uh, Tyrion, I have something here I need to read to you from Shae. [reading] "Tyrion, if your fat monkey heart is still beating, then congratulations. I want you to know that I hereby betray you and am going to sleep around with your father, Tywin Lannister."
Tyrion: Tywin Lannister?!
Varys: [reading] "A handsome man with a beautiful soul and a nicer penis."

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

There's no one I've ever met, no matter how successful they are, who hasn't said they had their failures along the way.

Dikkfor posted:

:negative: You win this round.

Marijuana
May 8, 2011

Go lick a dog's ass til it bleeds.
Regarding Alliser Thorne, did he ever show up at court in King's Landing to tell everyone that the White Walkers have returned like he did in the books? I don't remember season two all that clearly.

geeves
Sep 16, 2004

Dikkfor posted:

Jon Snow will give him A View To A Kill

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax

Marijuana posted:

Regarding Alliser Thorne, did he ever show up at court in King's Landing to tell everyone that the White Walkers have returned like he did in the books? I don't remember season two all that clearly.

I think Tyrion mentioned it in one of the meetings, but it wasn't actually shown on-screen.

Agent Tough Juice
May 21, 2007

People! I'd like to say a couple words for you: If you have a dream in your life... go head! It's a possible! Go head! I can do that!

Irish Joe posted:

I think Tyrion mentioned it in one of the meetings, but it wasn't actually shown on-screen.

Did they really never show him? I have this memory of him being turned away or something, but it's possible I just imagined that scene taking place with that actor when I read the book.

My PIN is 4826
Aug 30, 2003

geeves posted:

Jon Snow will give him A View To A Kill

Jon Snow will sit on the Iron Throne by the end of the series, because The Wall Is Not Enough

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

I'm not loyal to anything, General... except the dream.

Agent Tough Juice posted:

Did they really never show him? I have this memory of him being turned away or something, but it's possible I just imagined that scene taking place with that actor when I read the book.

I'm pretty sure he never appears on screen after Season 1.

geeves
Sep 16, 2004

My PIN is 4826 posted:

Jon Snow will sit on the Iron Throne by the end of the series, because The Wall Is Not Enough

It's obvious that Jon will Die Another Day

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog

My PIN is 4826 posted:

This is assuming you only live twice, of course.

Lovechop
Feb 1, 2005

cheers mate
these are some Gay rear end Posts right here

geeves
Sep 16, 2004

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

This is assuming you only live twice, of course.

Victarion is on a mission and left a note with Euron with a drawing of Dany. From Meereen, With Love

Petyr Baelish is Littlefinger

Marillion: Do you expect me to sing?
Littlefinger: No Mr. Marillion, I expect you to fly!

geeves fucked around with this message at 18:35 on Jan 14, 2014

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

Maester No.

geeves
Sep 16, 2004

Tyrion and Penny in The Dwarf Who Loved Me

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
Osmund Kettleblack is On her majesty's secret service

geeves
Sep 16, 2004

Daenerys is Dragonpussy

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos
Goldfinger starring Jaime Lannister.

Am I doing this right?

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.
Euron Crowjoy in Crowseye.

lifts cats over head
Jan 17, 2003

Antagonist: A bad man who drops things from the windows.
Moonboyraker Starring Cersei Lannister as far as Tyrion knows.

BrooklynBruiser
Aug 20, 2006
Lysa Arryn in Skyfall.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lifts cats over head
Jan 17, 2003

Antagonist: A bad man who drops things from the windows.
Robert Baratheon is "Making the Eight" in Octopussy.

• Locked thread