Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
geeves
Sep 16, 2004

colonel_korn posted:

I doubt we'll see anything of her in Braavos this season (I don't recall reading anything about them filming in a suitable location, for one). I kind of hope that they have her take off midway through the season (Episode 5 or 6-ish maybe?). It would be a climax for a mid-season episode and I'd rather they don't try to stretch or pad out her story with a bunch of loving around in the Vale/Riverlands or whatever. It's not like anyone will have forgotten who she is by the time Season 5 rolls around.

There is a casting rumor for a ship captain that's thought to be the man with whom Arya exchanges Valar Morghulis / Valar Dohearis.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos

escape artist posted:

Like what?

I don't think they're going to kill Jaime off-page, assuming they kill him at all (since he's a fan favorite, that means he's almost certain to die). It might not be in his POV, but we'll have a front-row perspective for the slaying of the Kingslayer.

Basically his fever dream at the end of ASOS, that dream had some established prophetic qualities and foretells Jaime's death surrounded by the ghosts of his fallen enemies in a big cave with Brienne defending him.

I don't think he'll die off page as we are pretty sure to get a chapter with a direct account of his death, either from his POV or more likely from Brienne's, I just meant that chronologically he bites it before Kevan does.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

escape artist posted:

Like what?

I don't think they're going to kill Jaime off-page, assuming they kill him at all (since he's a fan favorite, that means he's almost certain to die). It might not be in his POV, but we'll have a front-row perspective for the slaying of the Kingslayer.

When Cersei finds out he ran off with some woman towards the end of Dance I presume it would had been long enough on the journey back that if he'd been killed his body would have turned up somewhere.

Space Pussy
Feb 19, 2011

Professor Shark posted:

I'm hoping by the end of the series that Jamie gets a chance to redeem his legacy through some sort of heroic sacrifice against the Others which cements his place in history and forgets to mention his less heroic attributes, contrasting what happened to him at the end of the Rebellion [[/spoiler]

On that note, seeing Allister Thorne in the preview makes me think that this exact situation is going to happen with him- he'll take the place of One Arm and be remembered for his sacrifice, though during my rewatch with my girlfriend I didn't hate him as much as I did before.

I would say you're crazy but after Alton Lannister I wouldn't put it past HBO writing something that retarded.

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos
If Ser Alliser is not there to sponsor Slynt and brutalize Jon after the battle of the wall I would throw a nerd hissy fit of epic proportions in this very thread.

escape artist
Sep 24, 2005

Slow train coming

emanresu tnuocca posted:

Basically his fever dream at the end of ASOS, that dream had some established prophetic qualities and foretells Jaime's death surrounded by the ghosts of his fallen enemies in a big cave with Brienne defending him.

I don't think he'll die off page as we are pretty sure to get a chapter with a direct account of his death, either from his POV or more likely from Brienne's, I just meant that chronologically he bites it before Kevan does.

He has to strangle Cersei first, remember? :v: And as she dies, someone will kill him, and they'll die together, just like they were born together.

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos

escape artist posted:

He has to strangle Cersei first, remember? :v: And as she dies, someone will kill him, and they'll die together, just like they were born together.

There's always Tyrion. Besides the Valonqar prophecy is strange and although it might be a cheesy cop-out I am not convinced that the younger sibling has to be one of Cersei's younger siblings. Jaime's fever dream is pretty detailed and specific.

colonel_korn
May 16, 2003

geeves posted:

There is a casting rumor for a ship captain that's thought to be the man with whom Arya exchanges Valar Morghulis / Valar Dohearis.

Hm, I saw that but I missed the fact that he'll almost certainly appear in Episode 8 or 10 (based on who was listed as the director in his CV). Guess they'll have to find lots for Arya and Sandor to do this season.

Max
Nov 30, 2002

colonel_korn posted:

Hm, I saw that but I missed the fact that he'll almost certainly appear in Episode 8 or 10 (based on who was listed as the director in his CV). Guess they'll have to find lots for Arya and Sandor to do this season.

There is the bit about her and Sandor hanging around a village helping out before they get kicked out, we'll probably get some of that.

Who knows, maybe they'll bring Hot Pie back?

Hamiltonian Bicycle
Apr 26, 2008

!

colonel_korn posted:

I'd say there's enough material for them - they've got a whole bunch of travelling to do, crossing the river, putting up a palisade, meeting some old friends at an inn and getting Needle back, the Hound's death. (If not necessarily Sandor's.)

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.
I'm still holding out hope that Brienne can either talk some "he's fufilling all his goddamn oaths, you stupid zombie bitch" sense into Stoneheart's head, or that she uses the sword she just chose to get Jaime free.

Because no loving way. No way.

escape artist
Sep 24, 2005

Slow train coming

CapnAndy posted:

I'm still holding out hope that Brienne can either talk some "he's fufilling all his goddamn oaths, you stupid zombie bitch" sense into Stoneheart's head, or that she uses the sword she just chose to get Jaime free.

Because no loving way. No way.

Maybe Stoneheart will trade up one more time-- let Jaime go in exchange for Cersei.

(It's wishful thinking. I admit it.)

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.
Edit: ^ ^ ^ Or maybe even Old Man Frey himself. Or Roose. ^ ^ ^

colonel_korn posted:

I doubt we'll see anything of her in Braavos this season (I don't recall reading anything about them filming in a suitable location, for one).

I'm about 50/50 on whether or not I think they'll actually shoot on location in Venice.

I mean...obviously that's where a lot of Braavos's inspiration comes from, but it's almost TOO on the nose to shoot there, you know? Plus, I hear it's a nightmare shooting in Venice, anyway, so the producers might not bother with trying.

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

Ehhh, I'd forgotten what happened when we last saw Jamie. I'm hoping that he doesn't die, especially at the hands of Stoneheart and the Brotherhood, who I was initially excited about but quickly grew tired of.

The midlands of Westeros must be crazy between the Brotherhood and the ranging wolves led by Nymeria that now attack travelers and shepherds.

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

Whats up with show Loras and the kingsguard.

Hamiltonian Bicycle
Apr 26, 2008

!
If Loras is in the trailer, I'm failing to spot him, so unless I'm missing it there's no clear evidence at this point. Presumably they won't go through with Cersei marrying him since that'd be a huge departure with all sorts of complicated consequences for the rest of the story; having him appointed to the Kingsguard would be the obvious way out of that, so perhaps Cersei will use her influence over Tommen to get that done after Joffrey's death, or something. I can't really see her putting up with the marriage plan after that, however hard Tywin might dadstare at her.

Or, I don't know, maybe they'll continue GOT's trend of becoming The Awful Wedding Show and actually grind it out and reshape the accusations Cersei faces later, and so forth. It's not like they don't already have a lot of work to do, might as well.

Hamiltonian Bicycle fucked around with this message at 00:01 on Jan 14, 2014

tin can made man
Apr 13, 2005

why don't you ask him
about his penis
I think he's referring to the fact that in the book, Loras requests an appointment to the Kingsguard, and it's in fact somewhat important to the plot (increased Tyrell presence at court, Loras leading the siege of Dragonstone, etc). In the show, Garlen and Willas have been presumably wiped out, leaving Loras the heir to Highgarden and turning the talk of Kingsguard knighthood into threats rather than honors. I'm unsure where the show is going with Loras, but it's likely that they could send him off to attack Dragonstone be secreted away while tales spread about his horrible death under some other pretense.

redreader
Nov 2, 2009

I am the coolest person ever with my pirate chalice. Seriously.

Dinosaur Gum
it's weird how some parts of the book and show are so different. Also in the books Loras is MOST TECHNICALLY SKILLED KNIGHT IN A LONG TIME and in the tv show he's just some dude. He's not in the kingsguard yet? is he supposed to be at this point in the show? all will be explained this season, I hope. Thankfully I just re-read all the books so I'll be better able to spot differences in the show/books.

Hamiltonian Bicycle
Apr 26, 2008

!
Book Loras joins the Kingsguard pretty much immediately after the Blackwater, no hesitation - he has two older brothers, after all. In the show his brothers don't exist. If he were to join the Kingsguard, the Tyrells would see some complications re: who gets Highgarden (it might in fact go to Margaery and then to her children, who would officially be Baratheons), so he doesn't; in fact, Tywin uses the suggestion as a threat in order to get the Tyrells to fall in line and have him betrothed to Cersei. We'll see where the show goes from here.

colonel_korn
May 16, 2003

I believe it was mentioned somewhere that the agent of Littlefinger's who seduced Loras last season is back this season, so I wonder if he'll have anything to do with it. I have a hard time thinking of what, exactly, but can't think of many reasons to bring him back offhand.

Also lol

quote:

Linda & Elio ‏@hippoiathanatoi 6h

And that was a completely uninspiring trailer and so far I completely loathe what they have done with Oberyn. As expected. #gameofthrones

:allears:

rypakal
Oct 31, 2012

He also cooks the food of his people

In It For The Tank posted:

I thought they would never change "Jaime Lannister sends his regards" but learned my lesson last season.

What a weird line to hold all your hopes in.

e: Maybe it's like Oberyn Martell, some things I think are minor unimportant things are the center for the whole series for others.

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

Linda and Elio posted:

Linda & Elio ‏@hippoiathanatoi 6h

And that was a completely uninspiring trailer and so far I completely loathe what they have done with Oberyn. As expected. #gameofthrones

She's basically a less hinged and less socially functional version of Comicbook Guy. Oberyn looks great, and the hand-over-the-candle as he walks by adds a lot to his character with little effort. He's what I'm looking forward to most this season!

Aurubin
Mar 17, 2011

Professor Shark posted:

She's basically a less hinged and less socially functional version of Comicbook Guy. Oberyn looks great, and the hand-over-the-candle as he walks by adds a lot to his character with little effort. He's what I'm looking forward to most this season!

CHIN STRAPS and MUSTACHIOS are not Dornish in origin. This show has completely disregarded any and all regard for blah blah blah...

This is fun for me, considering this is the first nerdy movement I've been part of as it's unfolding. I enjoy bemusedly watching the fundamentalists have a heart attack at every little change. Makes me understand how religious schisms happen.

lemonadesweetheart
May 27, 2010

Aurubin posted:

CHIN STRAPS and MUSTACHIOS are not Dornish in origin. This show has completely disregarded any and all regard for blah blah blah...

This is fun for me, considering this is the first nerdy movement I've been part of as it's unfolding. I enjoy bemusedly watching the fundamentalists have a heart attack at every little change. Makes me understand how religious schisms happen.

Yeah but then you realize that the GURM actually listens to these crazy fucks.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

Was Linda one of those people who flipped out because the guy they cast to play Oberyn didn't have the same colour skin she imagined he did?

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos
GURM, pfft, you mean Lord too-lazy-to-remember-the-sex-of-a-horse?

unlimited shrimp
Aug 30, 2008
So what's the consensus -- Purple Wedding in episode 2 or 4?

lemonadesweetheart
May 27, 2010

It's definitely 2. The script locations were leaked.

Aurubin
Mar 17, 2011

I like Oberyn's robe/surcoat with the Martell sunburst all over it. The length helps for creating a languid, flowing character, while the low neckline implies Latin lover. To channel my inner Linda though, I wonder why they made it off-yellow instead of orange?

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos
From the maiden thread:

N3RDSTER posted:

Was that really a (fully grown?) dragon over King's Landing? Oh poo poo.

:swoon:

David and Dan are such trolls.

In It For The Tank
Feb 17, 2011

But I've yet to figure out a better way to spend my time.

PittTheElder posted:

Was Linda one of those people who flipped out because the guy they cast to play Oberyn didn't have the same colour skin she imagined he did?

Actually for once Linda was on the side that the show got something right. She campaigned for an Oberyn who wasn't uh "racebended" and was happy because Show Oberyn is the same conplexion as in the books.

Mexcillent
Dec 6, 2008
The guy playing Oberyn looks like Diego Luna with his facial hair.

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

I don't understand bookreaders that get all bent out of shape when something doesn't exactly match their internal vision. It implies they feel a sense of ownership over the characters when they're just some schmuck.

Beeez
May 28, 2012
I'd imagine it's especially prominent in the Westeros.org people because they have connections, so they probably view themselves as GRRM's apostles.

Maarak
May 23, 2007

"Go for it!"
:qq: "Why isn't HBO reproducing a ridiculously complex series of novels in annual 10 hour chunks with perfect faithfulness?!" :qq:

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
I shudder to ask what racist caricature people imagined Oberyn as I guess because the dude looks great and very in line with how he's described.

Ratios and Tendency
Apr 23, 2010

:swoon: MURALI :swoon:

Why did they recast Daario?

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

In It For The Tank posted:

Actually for once Linda was on the side that the show got something right. She campaigned for an Oberyn who wasn't uh "racebended" and was happy because Show Oberyn is the same conplexion as in the books.

I really wish they had gone with someone darker so we could have laughed at her obnoxious tirades about it.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
Isn't he a salt though? It's sands who are really dark, salts are just kinda Mediterranean which means they range from really tan to pretty white.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Carlton Banks Teller
Nov 18, 2004

Ratios and Tendency posted:

Why did they recast Daario?

Insurance was getting out of hand on his quadruple cheekbones. (Nobody knows for sure.)

• Locked thread