Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

AA is for Quitters posted:

I have never been so glad to get away from somewhere with actual minerals and carbon. Living in the philly area i had to listen to the fracking ones since the cable stations reached all the way out to Allentown/the mountains. And living in WV - well, every drat break had something about coal in it. I support mining just cause a bunch of my friends are miners since we graduated and they realized their degrees are useless, but you don't need to make it seem like your horrible product is good for the environment.

You would think mining areas would have more commercials pushing for legislation to keep mine owners from letting their workers die from preventable accidents.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer

raditts posted:

You would think mining areas would have more commercials pushing for legislation to keep mine owners from letting their workers die from preventable accidents.

In mine areas you speak no ill of the mines. The people are fully convinced it is the only way they can have jobs.

TontoCorazon
Aug 18, 2007

So Universal Orlando just made the same commercial that apple made during the holidays.

Nerdfest X
Feb 7, 2008
UberDork Extreme
Just tell me up front what is the "One weird tip they don't want you to know about".

Dr. Chainsaws PhD
May 21, 2011

Nerdfest X posted:

Just tell me up front what is the "One weird tip they don't want you to know about".

You magically lose weight and feel great when you give your credit card number to people you don't know online.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

JG Wentworth is back with a hula-themed version of their stupid 877-CASH-NOW song. :suicide:

SecretCervix
Jun 13, 2003

Fun Shoe

Nerdfest X posted:

I heard a "Baby boomers! They want to take your social security money! Here's one weird trick ... " ad on the radio the other day and I couldn't believe it. Maybe they're trying to target the one demographic that hasn't been inundated with that nonsense.

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something
I work at a hospital, so we see our fair share of medical advertisments. This one just came in today, and it definitely falls into the "What were they thinking?!" category.

"Ooh baby! Caressing this tub of bloody, syrupy, fatty goop we forcibly sucked out of your body is getting me hot! Buy this machine, baby!"

Bloody Hedgehog fucked around with this message at 21:47 on Jan 13, 2014

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Bloody Hedgehog posted:

I work at a hospital, so we see our fair share of medical advertisments. This one just came in today, and it definitely falls into the "What were they thinking?!" category.

"Ooh baby! Caressing this tub of bloody, syrupy, fatty goop we forcibly sucked out of your body is getting me hot! Buy this machine, baby!"

A huge comic book nerd drew this ad.

...of SCIENCE!
Apr 26, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

Nerdfest X posted:

Jesse Willms, the Dark Lord of the Internet is a must-read for anybody who has ever wondered what is up with those ads.

BaronVonVaderham
Jul 31, 2011

All hail the queen!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cN9cBKBCDVI

I love the stock image they use at about 20 seconds in.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

DJExile posted:

Also stuck at home today because of the weather and watching Maury. hooooolllly hell I forgot about some of these daytime TV spots and how horrible they were. I saw some ad about a lawsuit over an ad that made male toddlers grow female breasts. :stare:

BaronVonVaderham posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cN9cBKBCDVI

I love the stock image they use at about 20 seconds in.

THAT WAS THE ONE. Holy poo poo I know they run drat near anything during daytime TV but that just blew me away.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

About a month ago, every other ambulance-chaser ad was about uterine sling meshes causing vaginal prolapse and other equally :stonk: complications of the ladyparts. Daytime TV is basically a body horror sideshow.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

McSpanky posted:

About a month ago, every other ambulance-chaser ad was about uterine sling meshes causing vaginal prolapse and other equally :stonk: complications of the ladyparts. Daytime TV is basically a body horror sideshow.

I loved the stock images in those ones. Just a series of ladies going :doh: as it to say "Oh, why did I have to use Trans-Vaginal Mesh? So stupid, stupid, stupid!!"

raditts fucked around with this message at 16:50 on Jan 14, 2014

ShaqDiesel
Mar 21, 2013

Maxwell Lord posted:

In mine areas you speak no ill of the mines. The people are fully convinced it is the only way they can have jobs.

The clean coal and fracking commercials always remind me of this:

NSFW http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uhqu-PqlMT8

Taerkar
Dec 7, 2002

kind of into it, really

...of SCIENCE! posted:

Jesse Willms, the Dark Lord of the Internet is a must-read for anybody who has ever wondered what is up with those ads.

I knew they were bad, but mein gott!

Beeb
Jun 29, 2003

Good hunter, free us from this waking nightmare

Maxwell Lord posted:

But dude, look how glamorous it is!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-Qvj08W_OFE

:eyepop:

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.
Allegiant Air:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZMbhgs4N1os

We nickle and dime you for every little thing, therefore we're better than those other airlines.

Beeb
Jun 29, 2003

Good hunter, free us from this waking nightmare

Holy gently caress it's :smug: personified.

Rahonavis
Jan 11, 2012

"Clevuh gurrrl..."

I can't find it on YouTube, but during "Adventure Time" last night I saw one of the recent Happy Meal ads. And I swear they're implying that all those weird animals are hallucinations that a lonely kid is having. :staredog:

Tupping Liberty
Mar 17, 2008

Never cross an introvert.
I hate that it's for a cable company (I swear all cable companies are douches) but this Charter one's been on for awhile, and I still really like it: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DA7S4Ps-zDc

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN
College football season ended a week ago and I'm still seeing that loving Nissan drive on the train.

Make it stop.

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

DrBouvenstein posted:

Allegiant Air:

We nickle and dime you for every little thing, therefore we're better than those other airlines.

Actually per members of the SASCAR thread, they've apparently gotten "alright" reviews. (paging CBJSprague24).

They also sponsor a goon in auto racing shhhhh

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

DrBouvenstein posted:

Allegiant Air:

He's not wrong but that's a terrible way to get at his point. Airlines have thrown everything they can at getting the price of the ticket itself down, so things like a free first bag, free drink, etc. have been vanishing. I travel a ton and it's been annoying but 97% of travelers are buying tickets based solely on the price and don't look at what might be included with it.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

Somehow Comedy Central has the worst commercials during Daily Show / Colbert time. That one commercial with that horrible autotuned Mumfordy-sounding song that goes "HEYYYYYYYYYYYYY BROTHURRRRR" while these two guys are havin' fun and doin' pranks like stealing the head of the high school mascot costume makes me want to hurt things, I wish I could find it online so you could share my pain. I didn't even realize it was an e-cigarette ad until like the 30th time I saw it.

edit: Found it:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YAOYFpSjDBY

Since when are cigarette ads allowed on TV again anyway? Or is it just e-cigarette ads because they're "not as bad"?

raditts fucked around with this message at 16:19 on Jan 15, 2014

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

raditts posted:

Somehow Comedy Central has the worst commercials during Daily Show / Colbert time. That one commercial with that horrible autotuned Mumfordy-sounding song that goes "HEYYYYYYYYYYYYY BROTHURRRRR" while these two guys are havin' fun and doin' pranks like stealing the head of the high school mascot costume makes me want to hurt things, I wish I could find it online so you could share my pain. I didn't even realize it was an e-cigarette ad until like the 30th time I saw it.

Since when are cigarette ads allowed on TV again anyway? Or is it just e-cigarette ads because they're "not as bad"?

There's only a ban on products that burn tobacco. E-cigs don't do that.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

I think this child wants to consume my soul. :stare:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YZu9zIr9TjA

SpookyLizard
Feb 17, 2009
Why do I need to check my credit score on like a daily basis? How is it free if you have more commercials on USA than USA does for it's own shows? Why do you have like fifteen different ones?

gently caress you credit karma. gently caress you.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

SpookyLizard posted:

Why do I need to check my credit score on like a daily basis? How is it free if you have more commercials on USA than USA does for it's own shows? Why do you have like fifteen different ones?

gently caress you credit karma. gently caress you.

You sign up for a subscription service that gives you the first one for free.

SpookyLizard
Feb 17, 2009
But I don't need to give them my credit card!

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

computer parts posted:

You sign up for a subscription service that gives you the first one for free.

This. Credit scores are the new big freakout for everyone these days. It's somewhat understandable with the concern about ID theft, but I think constantly checking it can actually harm it to some degree. Maybe that's an urban myth though.

SpookyLizard
Feb 17, 2009
No, it does. Check it to your credit score will lower it ever so slightly. It'll bounce back after a couple of days. Constantly checking it is bad though.

No. 9
Feb 8, 2005

by R. Guyovich

DrBouvenstein posted:

Allegiant Air:

I hate this one too. I like the idea of low budget no frills airline in the US, as much as RyanJet gets trashed in the UK. It's an option.

However, soda has such a low value as it is; what a terrible example. Plus flights for as low as $89 isn't that low. That's the price most regular airlines advertise when they have specials. You can bet that $89 flight is from LA to Las Vegas or similar, too. Weasel words.

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light

Timby posted:

I think this child wants to consume my soul. :stare:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YZu9zIr9TjA

And his partner in evil:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uTAK5YmjZ5I

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

SpookyLizard posted:

No, it does. Check it to your credit score will lower it ever so slightly. It'll bounce back after a couple of days. Constantly checking it is bad though.

Then there's different kinds that impact you differently too!

ShaqDiesel
Mar 21, 2013
H & R Block's ad stating Americans lost $1 billion in unclaimed tax refunds and how many football stadiums that could fill pisses me off. A billion is a lot but what does that come to divided by the number of returns filed annually? Now compare that to the $200-$300 hr block charges for simple tax returns.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

Do you also get furious over commercials that say stuff like "an accident happens every 45 seconds on average"?

RMZXAnarchy
Sep 9, 2011

*Insert Sailor Jupiter joke here*
Watching through my DVR'ed Fox Sunday last week (That was so graciously cut into by 5 minutes thanks to the post-game show.) I found myself viciously hating the fact that I saw the same lovely Clash of Clans commercial once on all four loving shows.

I mean, I skipped past it but I had to see basically the same seven loving frames every time.

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!

raditts posted:

Came here to post this. It's on all the time and I can't get that stupid song out of my head.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vicas
Dec 9, 2009

Sweet tricks, mom.

RMZXAnarchy posted:

Watching through my DVR'ed Fox Sunday last week (That was so graciously cut into by 5 minutes thanks to the post-game show.) I found myself viciously hating the fact that I saw the same lovely Clash of Clans commercial once on all four loving shows.

I mean, I skipped past it but I had to see basically the same seven loving frames every time.

The Something Awful Forums > The Finer Arts > The TV IV > Ads You know You'd Hate