Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Poonior Toilett
Aug 21, 2004

m'lady

St Evan Echoes posted:

Did Jozy score this weekend?

Just after entering the match in the 69th minute, the No. 17 shirt executed an artful give-and-go with Ki Sung-Yueng to spring a rush that ended with Adam Johnson's second goal of the day. Then, shortly after the end of Dempsey's decent 79-minute shift, Altidore made the most of a clumsy area challenge by Philippe Senderos to win the penalty kick for Johnson's hat trick.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Big Taff Man
Nov 22, 2005

Official Manchester United Posting Partner 2015/16
Fan of Britches

Monday Bandele posted:

Apparently, Jozy called AJ over to take the penalty. And that's just it. I doubt anyone would fault him for taking a penalty that he earned when he's in a goal-scoring rut. Giving up the penalty says more about Jozy's lack of confidence than him wanting to play nicey-nice with his teammates. I'm not trying to be a dick, but, frankly, Jozy's not getting paid to be best buds with his teammates and take cheesy-rear end pictures hanging off Johnson in the lockerroom like a football groupie. He's there to score. He's being criticized for not scoring. His teammates weren't passing to him because he they don't think he'll score, not because he's not a swell guy. Sometimes, it's better to be respected than liked. Zlatan goes around kicking his own teammates in the face.

Of course, I'm not advocating JA do that, but he needs to show more ruthlessness. I also thought "WWD(empsey)D?". Scoring will earn respect from his teammates, not always deferring to them.

Didnt Henry not like to take penaltys he had won? Cant blame Jozy tbh for modeling himself after Thierry

jyrka
Jan 21, 2005

Potato Count: 2 small potatoes
I hope Jozy can find a new home this month. :)

Destroy My Sweater
Jul 24, 2009

Does anyone know Jozy's number for the Royal Rumble?

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

Destroy My Sweater posted:

Does anyone know Jozy's number for the Royal Rumble?
A number nine, a number nine large, a number six with extra sauce, a number seven, two number forty-fives, one with cheese, and a large soda

Bogan Krkic
Oct 31, 2010

Swedish style? No.
Yugoslavian style? Of course not.
It has to be Zlatan-style.

my son bort posted:

Just after entering the match in the 69th minute, the No. 17 shirt executed an artful give-and-go with Ki Sung-Yueng to spring a rush that ended with Adam Johnson's second goal of the day. Then, shortly after the end of Dempsey's decent 79-minute shift, Altidore made the most of a clumsy area challenge by Philippe Senderos to win the penalty kick for Johnson's hat trick.

mods rename me Clumsy Area Challenge

tbp
Mar 1, 2008

DU WIRST NIEMALS ALLEINE MARSCHIEREN
Last weekends chart is being worked on, there were some discrepancies in the match reporting and I had to fly to England to sort it out

oliwan
Jul 20, 2005

by Nyc_Tattoo
thanks tbp, i appreciate all this effort for sure

Ho Chi Meeeeee
Jun 13, 2008

let me shovel out your brains
hang my image in your skull
so I can be the vision
in your nightmares from now on
http://espnfc.com/blog/_/name/thescoutsnotebook/id/984?cc=5901

Lol ESPN has finally done a scouting report on a 24 year old "prospect", nevermind the fact that at 24 years old most players have either made it or have hosed off out of the game.

Hashtag Banterzone
Dec 8, 2005

Lifetime Winner of the willkill4food Honorary Bad Posting Award in PWM

oh em gee bee ess posted:

Lol ESPN has finally done a scouting report on a 24 year old "prospect", nevermind the fact that at 24 years old most players have either made it or have hosed off out of the game.

quote:

Potential score: 37
35-40: A solid starter on a top EPL club

really?

Ho Chi Meeeeee
Jun 13, 2008

so I can be the vision
Nevermind the fact that at 24 years old most players are already 8 years into their professional careers.

Von Linus
Apr 6, 2006
I complete me.
I defy anyone to say Jozy isn't solid. He's one of the solidest people I've ever seen.

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

Nevermind the fact that at 24 years old most players are already 8 years into their professional careers.

He made his debut at 16 so yeah I'm not sure how he's a "prospect" anymore.

Spangly A
May 14, 2009

God help you if ever you're caught on these shores

A man's ambition must indeed be small
To write his name upon a shithouse wall

Rate this out of 5 for each:

Dribbling: 3
Finishing: 3
First touch: 3
Passing and vision: 3
Speed: 4
Aerial ability: 5
Strength: 5

What the living gently caress

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

Spangly A posted:

Rate this out of 5 for each:

Dribbling: 3
Finishing: 3
First touch: 3
Passing and vision: 3
Speed: 4
Aerial ability: 5
Strength: 5

What the living gently caress

Compared to who?

Von Linus
Apr 6, 2006
I complete me.
Standing up without falling for prolonged periods: 0

belgend
Mar 6, 2008

me when The Club do another win

I was hoping the first paragraph following the title would be "No. Jozy has been proven to be poo poo in the EPL for ages now." like that one National Geographic on evolution

Sad Panda
Sep 22, 2004

I'm a Sad Panda.
I like how they finish it up with "Hopefully the appearances come" having shown a graphic that he has played 19 times, joint most in the team.

Ho Chi Meeeeee
Jun 13, 2008

so I can be the vision

Sad Panda posted:

I like how they finish it up with "Hopefully the appearances come" having shown a graphic that he has played 19 times, joint most in the team.

The biggest farce is how they pretend they got a top scout to write up the report but its pretty obvious it is the author of the article doing the "scouting".

Ponce de Le0n
Jul 6, 2008

Father jailed for beating 3 kids after they wouldn't say who farted in his car
lol my favourite part of the article

quote:

Similar playing style: Emile Heskey

Heskey was never a particularly prolific goal scorer in the Premier League, but he did a job and was able to do it well. Like Altidore, Heskey, who now plays in Australia, was a strong and powerful frontman during his time in England.

He was able to bring others into play -- something Altidore has shown he is capable of doing (think Sunderland versus Newcastle) but needs to do more of -- and always gave defenders a difficult time just because of his work ethic and sheer size.

Heskey was able to score goals of all types, demonstrating his incredible power but also a bit of poise. Altidore has shown he is capable of powering through defenses as if they aren't there, but he has also shown that he has the delicate ability to curl a free kick over a stranded wall.

emile heskey has scored over 100+ goals in the premier league

Ponce de Le0n fucked around with this message at 23:13 on Jan 16, 2014

Gigi Galli
Sep 19, 2003

and then the car turned in to fire

The biggest farce is how they pretend they got a top scout to write up the report but its pretty obvious it is the author of the article doing the "scouting".

It's also full of "while Sunderland this, and Sunderland that and Hull this" which would be totally ridiculous coming from a scout.

Dunban
Jul 4, 2012

OH MY GOD GLOVER

Shrapnac posted:

Compared to who?

A rock or another similarly immobile object.

Barry Shitpeas
Dec 17, 2003

there is no need
to be upset

Winner POTM July 2013
My favourite part is "one of Europe's top leagues (England, Italy or France)"

euroboy
Mar 24, 2004

Ponce de Le0n posted:

yeah the heskey comparison makes me mad. he's more like a terrible version of marlon harewood.

oliwan
Jul 20, 2005

by Nyc_Tattoo

Big Jozy Knew posted:

My favourite part is "one of Europe's top leagues (England, Italy or France)"

Do European sports writers sound equally dumb to Americans when they write about American sports?

Modus Trollens
Sep 12, 2010

Ponce de Le0n posted:

Heskey first scored in the premier league at 18 and went on to play in and win multiple cup finals

Jozy is a linebacker who accidentally got on a plane to europe and was mistaken for a footballer

Poonior Toilett
Aug 21, 2004

m'lady

oliwan posted:

Do European sports writers sound equally dumb to Americans when they write about American sports?

Bad writers sound bad to everyone

Modus Trollens
Sep 12, 2010

Holy poo poo just read the article and they think his transfer fee will rise???

also lol

quote:

Technically speaking, Altidore sometimes struggles when the game gets very quick and he's forced to play in tight areas. His first touch, especially when his back is to goal, leaves a bit to be desired and can often lead to frustration from himself as well as his teammates who look to their target man to hold up the ball.

leaves a bit to be desired

belgend
Mar 6, 2008

me when The Club do another win

Technically speaking, Jozy Altidore is poo poo

Dunban
Jul 4, 2012

OH MY GOD GLOVER
The comments are also pretty amazing.

"Can we get the kid some service though?? I'm hoping if Lukaku moves back to Chelsea, Martinez will pick him and get some quality football around the kid. Give him a competent midfield, and Jozy is up there with anyone."

"It is so unfair to compare Jozy with Emile Heskey. Jozy can be the American Drogba!! Jozy need services. I think the lacked of services from Sunderland mid-field and wingers are actually hampering him even Fletcher. Yes, Jozy needs to work on his touches and possession, but he is good passer and many of Sunderland goals have started with him. The Kid needs services in the box. He is very strong and can a good striker, but he needs services."

"He has greatly improved. The goals are not pouring in, but he is causing positive things to happen. Keep your head up Jozy"

Modus Trollens
Sep 12, 2010

Dunban posted:

The comments are also pretty amazing.

"Can we get the kid some service though?? I'm hoping if Lukaku moves back to Chelsea, Martinez will pick him and get some quality football around the kid. Give him a competent midfield, and Jozy is up there with anyone."

"It is so unfair to compare Jozy with Emile Heskey. Jozy can be the American Drogba!! Jozy need services. I think the lacked of services from Sunderland mid-field and wingers are actually hampering him even Fletcher. Yes, Jozy needs to work on his touches and possession, but he is good passer and many of Sunderland goals have started with him. The Kid needs services in the box. He is very strong and can a good striker, but he needs services."

"He has greatly improved. The goals are not pouring in, but he is causing positive things to happen. Keep your head up Jozy"

I don't think Drogba ever needed service to score but hey what do I know

Puseklepp
Jan 9, 2011

like watching the most beautiful ballerina on the best stage

Modus Trollens posted:

Holy poo poo just read the article and they think his transfer fee will rise???

He's got the skills to be a solid starter for a top PL team, the stats don't lie.

Charlotte Hornets
Dec 30, 2011

by Fritz the Horse
Jozy is class. I trust a paid ESPN scout/journo more than random people on a comedy forum.

Fat Lowtax
Nov 9, 2008

"I'm willing to pay up to $1200 for a big anime titty"

Sunderland can hold MLS to ransom if he scores a couple goals (lol) in the World Cup, that's really the only way they're getting their money back on him IMO

Modus Trollens
Sep 12, 2010

bow chicka wow wow posted:

Sunderland can hold MLS to ransom if he scores a couple goals (lol) in the World Cup, that's really the only way they're getting their money back on him IMO

Jozy Vs. Ronaldo is going to be better than the Sweeden games

Strawman
Feb 9, 2008

Tortuga means turtle, and that's me. I take my time but I always win.

Puseklepp posted:

He's got the skills to be a solid starter for a top PL team, the stats don't lie.

A professional scout gave him 4/5 for Defense (marking, tackling), he's got so much more than goals to his game

Modus Trollens
Sep 12, 2010

Strawman posted:

A professional scout gave him 4/5 for Defense (marking, tackling), he's got so much more than goals to his game

4/5 tool player?

TelekineticBear!
Feb 19, 2009

He's likely similar to other youth prospects such as 23 year old danny welbeck

Carrier
May 12, 2009

TelekineticBear! posted:

He's likely similar to other youth prospects such as 23 year old danny welbeck

Or 24 year old Tom Cleverly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jyrka
Jan 21, 2005

Potato Count: 2 small potatoes
So many new posts. I was sure Jozy had been loaned out to the Championship but instead it's more funny delusional American articles. Great stuff! :D

• Locked thread