Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
El Burbo
Oct 10, 2012

Rosalind posted:

I tried out the Bravely Default demo last night and I wonder if I'm doing something wrong. Every fight is intensely hard and I never seem to be doing much damage at all. I basically have to go rest at an inn after every battle. Am I doing something wrong?

Don't be afraid to brave. Negative brave doesn't carry over after battles so you can safely go all out on regular encounters.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Rosalind posted:

I tried out the Bravely Default demo last night and I wonder if I'm doing something wrong. Every fight is intensely hard and I never seem to be doing much damage at all. I basically have to go rest at an inn after every battle. Am I doing something wrong?

Also, don't forget to change your jobs. I'm pretty sure I remember the demo starting off everyone as the default non-job.

el burbo posted:

Don't be afraid to brave. Negative brave doesn't carry over after battles so you can safely go all out on regular encounters.

This, too. And once you get rolling, auto battle doesn't just auto attack everyone, it performs the last turn you manually performed. So with a 4 BM team, you can go down the line and "Brave, Fira, Fira" everyone once, hit auto and increase battle speed and really blow through encounters.

Huxley fucked around with this message at 21:40 on Jan 14, 2014

Rosalind
Apr 30, 2013

When we hit our lowest point, we are open to the greatest change.

Ok that's good to hear. I'm really interested in it but I just play my 3DS on the subway to and from work so I can't really play games where I need to min-max and plan out every single attack perfectly all-the-time. I'll give it another shot tonight.

Rosalind fucked around with this message at 21:41 on Jan 14, 2014

Gar
May 13, 2005
I got the Playstation but I still play the Sega

RyokoTK posted:

100 coins for a Game and Watch game, haha gently caress you forever that's two full-price games worth of coins for that.

If you had a bunch of coins (I work at a video rental store and took a ton of codes), would the game be worth being basically free? I don't have a Wii U so I was just going to get all the 3DS games but if it is really lovely, then I'll skip it.

I'll probably get the other game either way.

Purple D. Link
May 17, 2011

HE IS THE HERO

thedouche posted:

Is the 1080 actually on WiiU or is it just the Wii version? Also, I think I'm going to get a larger SD card. Has anyone had any problems with the PNY 8gb class 10 card?
It's the Wii version.

And man, when are they going to put up something I actually want. :smith:

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022
The 3DS game card cases are back in the NA Club Nintendo stock! They're 400 coins and have much nicer themes than last time, including ones of Zelda and Animal Crossing.

thedouche
Mar 20, 2007
Greetings from thedouche

:dukedog:

Purple D. Link posted:

It's the Wii version.

And man, when are they going to put up something I actually want. :smith:

That was a childhood favorite of mine. Maybe I'll actually play my loving Wii.

wafflemoose
Apr 10, 2009

Strange Quark posted:

The 3DS game card cases are back in the NA Club Nintendo stock! They're 400 coins and have much nicer themes than last time, including ones of Zelda and Animal Crossing.

Sweet, can always use another one of these!

cobalt impurity
Apr 23, 2010

I hope he didn't care about that pizza.

Strange Quark posted:

Those motherfuckers. It's a shame you can't get just the slip covers because the Animal Crossing and boo/bullet bill ones are really cool, but I already have two of the cases. :(

Unoriginal
May 12, 2001
Awesome! I was trying to get enough coins for the Luigi statue, but it was gone before I made it, so I have a ton of coins. Picked up both cases!

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

cobalt impurity posted:

Those motherfuckers. It's a shame you can't get just the slip covers because the Animal Crossing and boo/bullet bill ones are really cool, but I already have two of the cases. :(
You can never have too many of these things, they're awesome.

McGlu
Apr 10, 2013

Awesome. Ordered one of each!

Alliterate Addict
Jul 10, 2012

dreaming of that face again

it's bright and blue and shimmering

grinning wide and comforting me with it's three warm and wild eyes

Huxley posted:

Also, don't forget to change your jobs. I'm pretty sure I remember the demo starting off everyone as the default non-job.

This, too. And once you get rolling, auto battle doesn't just auto attack everyone, it performs the last turn you manually performed. So with a 4 BM team, you can go down the line and "Brave, Fira, Fira" everyone once, hit auto and increase battle speed and really blow through encounters.

Oh, is that how it works. When I accidentally hit the auto button and it started doing automatic double-brave-crescent-moons I thought the AI was just optimizing. That's pretty cool, actually.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

Dr Snofeld posted:

That's normal in the demo, after you've raised your job levels a little bit it eases off. The game proper doesn't drop you in it like that so I'm not sure why they had the demo be tricky right off the bat.

I was kind of surprised at how not-hard the demo was after reading all the posts about how hard it was. Seemed to me as long as you don't go to the higher-level areas early and don't run away from battles that it was pretty well balanced to me.

I keep seeing this recently. Is there a reason people write this instead of just AD which is shorter and looks less dumb?

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

Rosalind posted:

Ok that's good to hear. I'm really interested in it but I just play my 3DS on the subway to and from work so I can't really play games where I need to min-max and plan out every single attack perfectly all-the-time. I'll give it another shot tonight.

I had trouble in the demo at first too but once you get a job level or two for everyone it opens up a great deal. There are some skill combos available in the demo that basically make you invincible since you can plan on the bosses doing pretty much only physical damage.

Louisgod
Sep 25, 2003

Always Stupid
Bread Liar

raditts posted:

I keep seeing this recently. Is there a reason people write this instead of just AD which is shorter and looks less dumb?

Because it's funny. THE YEAR OF JESUS OUR LORD AND SAVIOR 20 AND THIRTEEN (13). Just say it like that every time you see it.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

I believe you mean the Year of Luigi.

katkillad2
Aug 30, 2004

Awake and unreal, off to nowhere
I was going to skip Bravely Default, but I gave the demo a try and got like 8 solid hours out of it. I guess I'll be picking it up! I wasn't really blown away by anything, but it was scratching an itch.

AndyP
Nov 7, 2011

Endorph posted:

I believe you mean the Year of Luigi.

Same thing.

Bigass Moth
Mar 6, 2004

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...

Strange Quark posted:

Thanks, I thought there would never be anything worthwhile to use these dumb coins on.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
Yasumi Matsuno (and friends ((mostly friends)) ) tactics RPG on kickstarter!

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/482445197/unsung-story-tale-of-the-guardians

Initial platforms are PC/Mac/smartphones, but there's a 3DS stretch goal way up around the $3m mark.

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
fiddly digits, itchy britches
I love you all
I wonder if the Bravely Default demo is as hard as it is, when in comparison to other Square-Enix RPGs, because the flagship RPGs on the 3DS and DS have been Atlus games for some time and those have notorious learning curves and overall difficulty.

Alliterate Addict
Jul 10, 2012

dreaming of that face again

it's bright and blue and shimmering

grinning wide and comforting me with it's three warm and wild eyes

Atlas Hugged posted:

I wonder if the Bravely Default demo is as hard as it is, when in comparison to other Square-Enix RPGs, because the flagship RPGs on the 3DS and DS have been Atlus games for some time and those have notorious learning curves and overall difficulty.

I'm honestly not sure why people are calling it hard, unless they're actually setting it to hard? :confused:

I definitely walked in and got my rear end handed to me on the first fight or two, but once you pick up on the job system and how it works you can really start kicking the poo poo out of things, even before you take into account the "haha you've only got physical attacks, you can't touch me" ninja ability.

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all
Because it's basically a Final Fantasy game and walking into the first random encounter and just pressing "attack" will get your party wiped immediately. Also, there's a real money wall at the beginning keeping you away from getting decent equipment and spells so even after you've figured out how to abuse the system, random encounters can still take a minute or longer just because your actual damage per action remains fairly low. Also, if you don't get Streetpasses or know about the villager exploit, upgrading your equipment to deal with later bosses is all but impossible. You'd have to spend time grinding jobs to get Pierce or get everyone to have the right spell abilities to take the boss down with just magic.

For a demo, it has several options, a great deal of gameplay with very little in the way of instruction, advanced jobs that won't be available early in the retail version, and reliance on a feature that many people aren't going to be able to use adequately.

That is then all compounded by a very unique mechanic, namely using turns as a resource. For a lot of people, this dynamic goes against decades of conditioning that has taught them to conserve their resources for when they really need them and so I bet a lot of people are hesitant at first to go into the negative with their turns.

If you're not doing that, fights are going to take a really long time which is going to make progressing through the demo slow and painful.

poonchasta
Feb 22, 2007

FFFFAAAFFFFF FFFFFAAAAAAAFFFFF FFFFFFFFAAAAAAFFFFF FFFFFFFAAAAAAAFFFFFF FFFFFFFAAAAAAAFFFFF
Guys, I'm 6 hours into Radiant Historia, and the combat is starting to get repetitive. Please tell me the story gets super interesting soon. I do love that this game is like the spiritual god-grandson of Chrono Trigger. I also really love that I'm playing Primer: The Game: Jrpg Edition.

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer

poonchasta posted:

Guys, I'm 6 hours into Radiant Historia, and the combat is starting to get repetitive. Please tell me the story gets super interesting soon. I do love that this game is like the spiritual god-grandson of Chrono Trigger. I also really love that I'm playing Primer: The Game: Jrpg Edition.

Six hours in was about where I started falling asleep with my 3ds in my lap and waking up to find the battery dead.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

poonchasta posted:

Do you have Aht yet? Laying traps was probably the most fun I had with the combat in that game.

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all
I finally just fought the last boss in the Bravely Default demo myself after putting the game down for a week once I beat the Dragon. I didn't do any grinding between the two bosses and just used the same strategy that I came up with before and it totally owned him. The game is easy once you've gotten familiar with the skills and figured out how to exploit the game as best as you can. But you certainly don't start at that point and I do think the learning curve is fairly high.

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

I think that Bravely Default demo is actually too good. I played it for about an hour, really liking it, but decided to stop because the idea of re-leveling and all that jazz never sits well with me. I usually just plink away at it for like 20 minutes every now and then, still pretty fun and totally down to buy it next month.

Louisgod
Sep 25, 2003

Always Stupid
Bread Liar

poonchasta posted:

I stopped at the 25 hour mark when I hit some dumb boss and the battles up to that point were not only a massive bore to me but got progressively and needlessly harder. The story is eh and I honestly don't get the praise the game gets beyond the Chrono Trigger comparison (which is, like, not even remotely right outside your actions affecting another single timeline). I tried to come back to it so many times but also fell to the "fell asleep and woke up to a dead 3DS on my face" trap.

SatansBestBuddy
Sep 26, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

Policenaut posted:

I think that Bravely Default demo is actually too good. I played it for about an hour, really liking it, but decided to stop because the idea of re-leveling and all that jazz never sits well with me. I usually just plink away at it for like 20 minutes every now and then, still pretty fun and totally down to buy it next month.

:ssh: There are rewards for beating the demo that you can use in the main game.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

poonchasta posted:

It depends on where you are in the plot but it picks up once you hit chapter 2 or 3. The combat never gets particularly deeper but it adds some extra mechanics which give you extra options which make it more fun to play and it gives you the option to skip any non-boss fights you don't want to do.

Rosalind
Apr 30, 2013

Yep tried Bravely Default again for the 45 minute train ride home tonight and I still don't really get it. I didn't get beat up as much but I'm getting 2 JP a fight and I only had 3 fights in those 45 minutes. The feeling of the game is super grindy. My black mage and white mage don't even have any spells yet and I have to be like this for 15 fights? I assume they get spells when their job level increases.

Whatever, this game is obviously not for me. I need something like Fire Emblem where I can advance the story in 45 minutes, not grind enemies for points or whatever. Any recommendations?

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Rosalind posted:

Yep tried Bravely Default again for the 45 minute train ride home tonight and I still don't really get it. I didn't get beat up as much but I'm getting 2 JP a fight and I only had 3 fights in those 45 minutes. The feeling of the game is super grindy. My black mage and white mage don't even have any spells yet and I have to be like this for 15 fights? I assume they get spells when their job level increases.

Whatever, this game is obviously not for me. I need something like Fire Emblem where I can advance the story in 45 minutes, not grind enemies for points or whatever. Any recommendations?

If you got into 3 fights in 45 minutes then I have no idea what to say. That is "winning the lottery" RNG odds and nearly impossible. You also don't need to grind at all. You can finish every single thing in the demo under level 9 with Level 1 job classes. You do need to kill enemies for drops for your first couple of quests but that is about it.

And no, you buy spells from the shop in town. If you didn't bother to check the shops in town you kinda should do that.

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 06:23 on Jan 15, 2014

Rosalind
Apr 30, 2013

ImpAtom posted:

If you got into 3 fights in 45 minutes then I have no idea what to say. That is "winning the lottery" RNG odds and nearly impossible. You also don't need to grind at all. You can finish every single thing in the demo under level 9 with Level 1 job classes. You do need to kill enemies for drops for your first couple of quests but that is about it.

And no, you buy spells from the shop in town. If you didn't bother to check the shops in town you kinda should do that.

Well again I'm on a train so it's not like I'm totally 100% focused on the game during those 45 minutes, I kept having to go back to town to the Inn, and then I wiped on two snakes that were too tough for me apparently so perhaps I'm exaggerating a bit here, but it still went really slow.

Also how was I supposed to know that's where I get spells? They say magic scrolls but I assumed they were consumables. I don't think anything in the tutorial screens told me that I needed to buy my spells.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Rosalind posted:

Well again I'm on a train so it's not like I'm totally 100% focused on the game during those 45 minutes, I kept having to go back to town to the Inn, and then I wiped on two snakes that were too tough for me apparently so perhaps I'm exaggerating a bit here, but it still went really slow.

Also how was I supposed to know that's where I get spells? They say magic scrolls but I assumed they were consumables. I don't think anything in the tutorial screens told me that I needed to buy my spells.
How were you fighting? It's pretty easy for battles to take forever and wear you out if you aren't using the mechanics properly.

Rosalind
Apr 30, 2013

Endorph posted:

How were you fighting? It's pretty easy for battles to take forever and wear you out if you aren't using the mechanics properly.

I would default until I got up to 2 or 3 each and then have my guy sing to boost physical attack and then unleash my attacks.

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all
^^^^I would very rarely Default to store up abilities and would instead just go straight to Brave.

Rosalind posted:

You don't have spells because you have to purchase them. As you level up in a mage job, you gain access to higher level spells that you already purchased. A job-level 1 mage has access to all the level 1 spells of his class so a Black Mage can cast Fire/Thunder/Blizzard immediately.

Fights are taking forever because you are approaching them like a traditional Final Fantasy. You need to use Brave to queue up to four attacks and unleash a ton of damage right off the bat. Otherwise if you do one attack per round, your fights are going to take like 10 minutes each.

I assume this is why you had so few random encounters and not because you just didn't trigger any.

Dehry
Aug 21, 2009

Grimey Drawer
Radiant Historia is Groundhog Day the anime. It just doesn't do time travel right.

In Chrono Trigger you can go between eras and watch things develop. That dead area? Battle a monster and it becomes a lush forest. Did you defeat Lavos early? Different ending. In Radiant Historia you get to watch the same thing happen over and over in two separate timelines. The breaks in the story just feel like arbitrary points where they decide you need to switch to the other timeline.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Rosalind posted:

If you're wiping on the first-area enemies you're probably not using Brave to get multiple attacks in a row. You should be doing that early on because there's no penalty for finishing a fight with negative Brave.

As for the other thing: They are clearly labeled as spells, divided into White and Black, and in general are fairly obviously magic spells.

Dehry posted:

Radiant Historia is Groundhog Day the anime. It just doesn't do time travel right.

In Chrono Trigger you can go between eras and watch things develop. That dead area? Battle a monster and it becomes a lush forest. Did you defeat Lavos early? Different ending. In Radiant Historia you get to watch the same thing happen over and over in two separate timelines. The breaks in the story just feel like arbitrary points where they decide you need to switch to the other timeline.

What you mentioned there was a sidequest. Radiant Historia has sidequests like that as well. They're not as far-arching (because Radiant Historia has a specific timeframe it takes place in) but you can alter events by screwing with the past in the same way. It even has a bunch of alternate "bad endings." Some of them are about as in-depth as some of the Chrono Trigger alternate endings even. Not all of them but some, and they've got some fairly memorable alternate ends too. Marco goes on a killing spree and murders the entire cast being a particular standout.

I like Chrono Trigger a lot. It's one of my favorite RPGs, but a good chunk of the story is just you going wherever the plot tells you to go, gated by the areas you can access. It isn't this bastion of nonlinearity where you have full complete control over how time alters. The biggest changes you can make are in the sidequest rush near the end of the game. (Which is, admittedly, one of my favorite parts of the game.)

It certainly isn't time travel in the same way that CT is but it's an interesting mix of time-and-dimension travel which does basically what Chrono Cross was trying to do and does it better. I think CT is the better game of the two but I think RH is the closest I've come to getting the same feeling as CT's time travel gave me.

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 06:49 on Jan 15, 2014

• Locked thread