Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Why do you tempt me so, game?!
I don't have enough slots to have a weapon, shield, bow, catalyst, talisman and pyromancies!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Jack Trades posted:

Why do you tempt me so, game?!
I don't have enough slots to have a weapon, shield, bow, catalyst, talisman and pyromancies!

You will in Dark Souls II~

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
You also could have in Demon's Souls given that there are items that let you do those last three together. Wrong time, wrong place, friend. :v:

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer

Genocyber posted:

You will in Dark Souls II~

After watching Kay's videos, I hope they just drop all the classes, start you at level 1 with low-rear end stats and make you work your way upward from there.

I didn't realize how rewarding every little treasure from mobs could feel until I saw the deprived in action.

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage far.

Grimey Drawer

Mordaedil posted:

After watching Kay's videos, I hope they just drop all the classes, start you at level 1 with low-rear end stats and make you work your way upward from there.

I didn't realize how rewarding every little treasure from mobs could feel until I saw the deprived in action.

One of my favorite things about starting Deprived is how every random weapon and armor drop is actually useful. Once during a trial zwei run, I was just barely not killing ents with the R2 vertical smash, so I'd flatten them then throw a knife to finish them off. Really enhanced the feeling of using all your resources just to survive, that seems to get lost after your first character and you start min/maxing things to suit your preferences.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Takes No Damage posted:

One of my favorite things about starting Deprived is how every random weapon and armor drop is actually useful. Once during a trial zwei run, I was just barely not killing ents with the R2 vertical smash, so I'd flatten them then throw a knife to finish them off. Really enhanced the feeling of using all your resources just to survive, that seems to get lost after your first character and you start min/maxing things to suit your preferences.

I don't get this post. The Deprived is no different than any other starting class.

Magmarashi
May 20, 2009

Genocyber posted:

I don't get this post. The Deprived is no different than any other starting class.

Except that they get no armor at all and only a bit of a stick and plank shield, meaning you have to scrounge everything instead of having a more solid starting off, leading to a different starting play experience that might work more for somebodies tastes. Yeah, other than that, exactly the same :rolleyes:

Magmarashi fucked around with this message at 18:22 on Jan 14, 2014

Benson Cunningham
Dec 9, 2006

Chief of J.U.N.K.E.R. H.Q.

Magmarashi posted:

Except that they get no armor at all and only a bit of a stick and plank shield, meaning you have to scrounge everything instead of having a more solid starting off, leading to a different starting play experience that might work more for somebodies tastes. Yeah, other than that, exactly the same :rolleyes:

Except within 20 minutes of play in the undead berg you can fully outfit yourself with starting gear so that experience only lasts as long as the tutorial. :rolleyes:

Gazaar
Mar 23, 2005

.txt

Magmarashi posted:

Except that they get no armor at all and only a bit of a stick and plank shield, meaning you have to scrounge everything instead of having a more solid starting off. Yeah, other than that, exactly the same :rolleyes:

Functionally they are no different, being deprived doesn't make finding a sword on a body some kind of life saving nectar. Every class has access to the undead merchant super front loaded in the game who sells all kinds of weapons and shields for dirt cheap.

Basically what I'm saying is that the deprived is just like every other starting class. Pretend I put a condescending emote here for you.

inthesto
May 12, 2010

Pro is an amazing name!
Except when you pick deprived as your starting class when you're going into the game blind, you're making things ten times harder on yourself. Yeah, when you know what you're doing it's barely a handicap (and may actually be an advantage, as I believe deprived actually has the best total stats to SL ratio), but when you don't have a clue, deprived makes it harder.

I picked deprived my first time with the game and gave up after a while. I picked bandit afterwards and noticed that the game was a million times easier.

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Norris'es are back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (fox Howl)
Deprived is like a blank canvas, aren't all their stats at 11?

And yeah, there's really no disadvantage I see aside from no armor but that doesn't really matter early game, even blind, you're squishy as hell.

Maleh-Vor
Oct 26, 2003

Artificial difficulty.

inthesto posted:

Except when you pick deprived as your starting class when you're going into the game blind, you're making things ten times harder on yourself. Yeah, when you know what you're doing it's barely a handicap (and may actually be an advantage, as I believe deprived actually has the best total stats to SL ratio), but when you don't have a clue, deprived makes it harder.

I picked deprived my first time with the game and gave up after a while. I picked bandit afterwards and noticed that the game was a million times easier.

That's because you were better at playing by the time you had a bandit, and you might have been more motivated by not being a stick of beef jerky with a stick and some boards.

Vil
Sep 10, 2011

If you ignore resistance, every starting class has the same total amount of stat points for their respective SL (so a SL3 sorcerer will have 2 more total non-resistance stat points than a SL1 pyromancer).

So you're technically slightly better off with a class that starts with higher resistance, but then again it's resistance so whatever. More importantly, you're better off with a class that has higher stats in the stats your build will care about, and lower stats in the stats your build won't care about.

Also sorcerer, pyromancer, and cleric get a freebie spell each in addition to the spells that everyone can get throughout the game. And thief starts with master key regardless of your gift choice.

But that's really it. And none of those are remotely game-breaking differences. It really boils down to "play whatever the gently caress you want".

Zoph
Sep 12, 2005

Mordaedil posted:

DS2 won't have classes, the character creation instead involves a handful of questions you answer which determine your starting stats.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

I'd argue Deprived is one of the better classes to start as, save for stat min/maxing purposes. The Club is a very good weapon, being stronger and more poise damaging than the other starting weapons (aside from Battle Axe and Hand Axe), you start with fastroll so you're probably going to question changes in roll speed, unlike people who start with Knight and have fatroll from the getgo, and having a crappy shield is going to force you to learn how to dodge a bit earlier, at least until you get a better shield.

p1ngas
Jan 2, 2014

Let me be your guide.
I've been playing for a while and it just dawned on me:

What the hell is Petrus wearing? I don't recall any armor set like it in the game. (also worn by Vince and Nico, if I recall correctly)

Maleh-Vor
Oct 26, 2003

Artificial difficulty.

p1ngas posted:

What the hell is Petrus wearing? I don't recall any armor set like it in the game. (also worn by Vince and Nico, if I recall correctly)

It's the Elite Cleric set, and you don't get to use that unless you hack the game for it.

Gazaar
Mar 23, 2005

.txt

p1ngas posted:

Everyone should have a look at this if they haven't seen some of this stuff before http://darksouls.wikidot.com/unused-content

omeg
Sep 3, 2012

:smith:

I think that's my first real hatemail. :unsmigghh:

hoobajoo
Jun 2, 2004

omeg posted:

Man, that's pretty great. What were you doing to get this kind of ire?

aas Bandit
Sep 28, 2001
Oompa Loompa
Nap Ghost

Genocyber posted:

you start with fastroll so you're probably going to question changes in roll speed, unlike people who start with Knight and have fatroll from the getgo

Yeah, I think this is one of the most important points about starting your first playthrough with deprived. I've seen a lot of people playing who go ages before they realize that they can reduce load (and without realizing how huge fast roll is).

I do agree that for someone new, deprived can make the game a lot more intimidating ("omg, I have no armor"), especially since they don't know that all that stuff is 20 minutes away.

Gazaar posted:

Everyone should have a look at this if they haven't seen some of this stuff before http://darksouls.wikidot.com/unused-content

That's pretty cool--thanks for linking that! It's interesting that they had the New Londo ruins actually locked up at one point. Also that blind ghost ring would nerf it sooo hard...I'm glad they got rid of that.

I'd also wear that bear armor.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...

omeg posted:

i should probably change my GFWL username

Sex Robot
Jan 11, 2011

Nothing amazing happens here.
Everything is ordinary.

aas Bandit posted:

That's pretty cool--thanks for linking that! It's interesting that they had the New Londo ruins actually locked up at one point. Also that blind ghost ring would nerf it sooo hard...I'm glad they got rid of that.

I'd also wear that bear armor.

I love the idea that they were going to do so much more with Shiva. Looks like it could have been really cool.

Alan Smithee posted:

i should probably change my GFWL username
Stream more often you gently caress.

omeg
Sep 3, 2012

hoobajoo posted:

Man, that's pretty great. What were you doing to get this kind of ire?

Smough armor with child mask, iron flesh, dark hand. Not much except that, of course the usual lloyds/dung/poison knives. I think he was in the Parish.

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

As part my eternal bid to never actually finish this goddamn game ever, I can now attest that the Large Club is as great as everyone says it is. I might swap out for the Dragon Tooth when I get there (as I'm trying to play, broadly, Ms. Havel The Rock). Might.

Sanctum
Feb 14, 2005

Property was their religion
A church for one
I love watching first time playthroughs of this game. :allears:

http://www.twitch.tv/anna2swallow
e: it's over

Sanctum fucked around with this message at 23:19 on Jan 14, 2014

Kerrzhe
Nov 5, 2008

Got my first taste of pvp last night running through the Depths. First guy invaded me while I was futzing around with my weapon slots, and was stuck fighting him with the stupid Gargoyle axe that I don't care for. He threw poop at me a bunch but I dodged it, then got backed into a slime or two and died.

Second guy had all spiky armor but I had my proper sword (Astora's Longsword I think it's called, from the valley of drakes) and I poked him in the face a lot until he died. That was very fun.

3rd guy I never saw. I was making my way through the sewer maze to try and get to the boss when he came in, but I have no idea where he spawned. I waited around for a few minutes to try and ambush him but he never found me. He might have been trying the same thing. But I made it to the boss room and he got booted out.

Now I just gotta try and get this horrible dragon monstrosity down, with the help of my jolly co-operation buddies Solaire and Lautrec.

Nuclearmonkee
Jun 10, 2009

Kerrrrrrr posted:

Second guy had all spiky armor but I had my proper sword (Astora's Longsword I think it's called, from the valley of drakes) and I poked him in the face a lot until he died. That was very fun.

That was dark knight kirk an npc :shobon:.

Kerrzhe
Nov 5, 2008

Nuclearmonkee posted:

That was dark knight kirk an npc :shobon:.

Aww now I feel like a dumb babby. I even read that bit in the OP, but didn't pay attention to the name in-game. Oh well.

dismas
Jul 31, 2008

Kerrrrrrr posted:

Now I just gotta try and get this horrible dragon monstrosity down, with the help of my jolly co-operation buddies Solaire and Lautrec.

They are pretty terrible in that fight. It's easier to go solo.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Dark Souls players seem to be quite nice most of the time.
One player who invaded me let me finish killing a Black Knight before murdering me and after that he gave me some good advice.
Another one was invading me but somehow ended up being summoned as white phantom so he helped me kill the drake and gave me some nice gear.

Sex Robot
Jan 11, 2011

Nothing amazing happens here.
Everything is ordinary.

Jack Trades posted:

Dark Souls players seem to be quite nice most of the time.
One player who invaded me let me finish killing a Black Knight before murdering me and after that he gave me some good advice.
Another one was invading me but somehow ended up being summoned as white phantom so he helped me kill the drake and gave me some nice gear.

I've only played on PC, but seens plenty of PS3 streamers. I've noted that PC players tend to be much friendlier and yes, you often find that you get a good bit of e-bushido online.

Mainwaring
Jun 22, 2007

Disco is not dead! Disco is LIFE!

Followup on the questions I was asking before. I pressed on to the gargoyles (gently caress those guys it took ages) and then went back and kicked Havel's rear end no problem. Solaire also helpfully got me the tail axe from the Gargoyles which I'm now rocking and it rules so much :)

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

Gazaar posted:

Oh that's cool. A ring of Karmic Justice would be fun.

Tallgeese
May 11, 2008

MAKE LOVE, NOT WAR

The issue would be that its power would be fixed, most likely. Quite hard to balance.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Is there any way to see where NPC summoning signs are, without checking all the summoning signs?
I can't summon players because of my NAT bullshit.

EDIT: I meant, is there any visual difference between normal and NPC summoning signs.

Tallgeese
May 11, 2008

MAKE LOVE, NOT WAR

Hmmm? Usually if you can be invaded, you can summon. Why can't you set your NAT properly?

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Tallgeese posted:

Hmmm? Usually if you can be invaded, you can summon. Why can't you set your NAT properly?

I don't have access to the router my internet connection goes through. It's not even in my apartment.

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Norris'es are back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (fox Howl)

Sex Robot posted:

I've only played on PC, but seens plenty of PS3 streamers. I've noted that PC players tend to be much friendlier and yes, you often find that you get a good bit of e-bushido online.

When I see a Drake Sword I'll drop some chunks or large shards for them. Or equipment I can't use as SL1. People love DKS drops.

Then it's time to get pooped on.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tarezax
Sep 12, 2009

MORT cancels dance: interrupted by MORT

Jack Trades posted:

Is there any way to see where NPC summoning signs are, without checking all the summoning signs?
I can't summon players because of my NAT bullshit.

EDIT: I meant, is there any visual difference between normal and NPC summoning signs.

There's no visual difference between normal and NPC summoning signs, but NPC summoning signs will generally be out near the boss door somewhere while player summon signs are usually placed at the nearest bonfire.

• Locked thread