Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

I got a taste for blown saves
Gonna put his draft stock on the back of that brilliant Sugar Bowl performance I see

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PrinceRandom
Feb 26, 2013

Do people really think he's better than Aaron Murry?

LARGE THE HEAD
Sep 1, 2009

"Competitive greatness is when you play your best against the best."

"Learn as if you were to live forever; live as if you were to die tomorrow."

--John Wooden
Logan Thomas is not getting drafted before at least 200 people come off the board, probably 220.

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

damn i'm really in this bitch

LARGE THE HEAD posted:

Logan Thomas is not getting drafted before at least 200 people come off the board, probably 220.

With his tools? He's going a lot higher than that, especially when someone decides to rationalize his struggles with the talent around him

sportsgenius86 posted:

When I watch Mettenberger, I think Young Weeden, but maybe that's just me.

He makes me think of Chad Henne.

Coldforge
Oct 29, 2002

I knew it would be bad.
I didn't know it would be so stupid.

Doltos posted:

Weird, might be an issue with the SA forums.

http://tinyurl.com/l79xsvk

Edit: looks like we're in dire need of people who know late round defensive talent.

This is great. Added several players and fixed the 49ers' needs.

darkforce898
Sep 11, 2007

Coldforge posted:

Are Rogers, Brown and Wright coming back next year? I know Brown and Wright are free agents.

I'm trying to figure out who they could draft in their position that makes sense.

WR is loaded and they can wait.
CB - they are too low to take anyone really good here

Maybe a DE?

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌

Coldforge posted:

Feel free to put comments on individual players by right clicking and adding a comment.

Coldforge
Oct 29, 2002

I knew it would be bad.

darkforce898 posted:

Are Rogers, Brown and Wright coming back next year? I know Brown and Wright are free agents.

I'm trying to figure out who they could draft in their position that makes sense.

WR is loaded and they can wait.
CB - they are too low to take anyone really good here

Maybe a DE?

Wright will probably back, if he's cheap. Rogers almost definitely not, and Brown is a big question mark.

My best guess is they'll trade up in the first to take the CB they like (like they did with Reid). Possibly a SS if Whitner's out of their price range.

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Remember how good you are
Taco Defender
Add PFF stats for linemen/needs evaluation, updated Cowboys/Redskins needs

darkforce898
Sep 11, 2007

Doltos posted:

Feel free to put comments on individual players by right clicking and adding a comment.

Actually don't do that. It sends me an email everytime someone updates a comment. Add a note instead.

Coldforge
Oct 29, 2002

I knew it would be bad.

darkforce898 posted:

Actually don't do that. It sends me an email everytime someone updates a comment. Add a note instead.

Notes it is, sorry for the spam :(

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌

TheChirurgeon posted:

Add PFF stats for linemen/needs evaluation, updated Cowboys/Redskins needs

Very cool for the PFF stats. This is shaping up to be a pretty great venture.

PrinceRandom
Feb 26, 2013

Dolphins fans aren't happy with Tannehill? :(

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

PrinceRandom posted:

Eh? Where did that come from?

LiquidFriend
Apr 5, 2005

Azhais posted:

AJ McCarron made it official that he's not gonna go to the senior bowl

http://www.al.com/sports/index.ssf/2014/01/alabama_quarterback_aj_mccarro_7.html
What a really bad decision. He had a lot to prove and a good week probably would of baited a dumb team to draft him in the first round.

PrinceRandom
Feb 26, 2013

Ehud posted:

Eh? Where did that come from?

The google doc had someone list QB first.

Amy Pole Her
Jun 17, 2002

PrinceRandom posted:

Yeah I fixed that.

Elotana
Dec 12, 2003

and i'm putting it all on the goddamn expense account
If we're going Clowney then give me Tajh Boyd in the 2nd instead of Mettenberger thanks

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Remember how good you are
Taco Defender

LiquidFriend posted:

What a really bad decision. He had a lot to prove and a good week probably would of baited a dumb team to draft him in the first round.

the senior bowl has never been terribly QB-friendly though; the setup very much benefits defenders.

TheChirurgeon fucked around with this message at 02:04 on Jan 15, 2014

LiquidFriend
Apr 5, 2005

TheChirurgeon posted:

the senior bowl has never been terrible QB-friendly though; the setup very much benefits defenders.
True, but I don't think he would of lost any stock by attending. Unless I'm recalling incorrectly, Geno Smith was blasted for skipping last year.

PrinceRandom
Feb 26, 2013

TheChirurgeon posted:

the senior bowl has never been terrible QB-friendly though; the setup very much benefits defenders.

I used to hate the move, but now I'm not sure how much it would have helped him to play. He'll end up getting drafted somewhere just based on championships and I don't know if he'd really be able to show much that'd move him up from Day 3. Basically he's already a known name...

bhsman
Feb 10, 2008

by exmarx

Elotana posted:

If we're going Clowney then give me Tajh Boyd in the 2nd instead of Mettenberger thanks

I'd be down with Tajh, but what's your hangup on Mettenberger?

SlipUp
Sep 30, 2006

stayin c o o l
Not directed at me but iirc he's recovering from injury and raw. I thought he was gonna have to sit a year so Keenum or Yates might be the guy next season and after that who knows.

darkforce898
Sep 11, 2007

I think Clowney is the right move here. He is an enormous boost and will hopefully start every down for four years. I actually think it would be smart to trade up to the first again to grab one of the top three qbs. But I don't know what they would have to give up.

Also, they still have Schuab and Keenum and Yates.

I'm sure one of those will be just fine for next year. I seem to remember him being a good quarterback once.

DupaDupa
May 21, 2009

I'm Samurai Mike
I stop 'em cold.

Doltos posted:

Very cool for the PFF stats. This is shaping up to be a pretty great venture.

How will Turdy Stoolwater's bowl performance effect is draft stock?

I didn't edit that in but kudos to who did because I am a literal child and giggling in my cubicle

bhsman
Feb 10, 2008

by exmarx

SlipUp posted:

Not directed at me but iirc he's recovering from injury and raw. I thought he was gonna have to sit a year so Keenum or Yates might be the guy next season and after that who knows.

Uhh which one are you referring to? :stare: Boyd is seen as more raw (or at least in need of refinement) and would have to learn how to take snaps under center, whereas Mettenberger isn't as athletic but played in a pro-style system at LSU and has a stronger arm and is more pro-ready.

EDIT: Mett's ACL was surgically repaired the day after LSU's bowl game, so recovery-wise he could be ready to go by training camp. I wouldn't mind letting him sit for a few games and heal up, though.

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

I got a taste for blown saves

darkforce898 posted:

Also, they still have Schuab and Keenum and Yates.

Not exactly the most encouraging thing

darkforce898
Sep 11, 2007

Intruder posted:

Not exactly the most encouraging thing

Yeah, but can you say for certain that Bridgewater or Bortles will be better?

Schaub hasn't been the most exciting QB but he has been consistently good until last year.

The Cardinals almost made it to the playoffs and beat the #1 seed in their own building and I don't see people telling them to draft a new QB. And Schaub is at least as good as Palmer. Probably better.

Wouldn't it be better to draft Clowney, let Yates or Keenum go and draft a late round QB?

Toymachine
Jul 2, 2007

Warning - Posts created under the influence of Codeine and/or Skittles
Is anyone else as high on Caraun Reid from Princeton as me? He split time at DE/DT and put up some nice stats this year and looked dominant at times. I'd love for the Raiders to grab him. 5-6th round seems like the going range for him right now unless he lights it up at the Senior Bowl.

bhsman
Feb 10, 2008

by exmarx

darkforce898 posted:

Yeah, but can you say for certain that Bridgewater or Bortles will be better?

Bortles seems most like a guy that should sit for a bit, but Bridgewater is probably the best pro-ready prospect due to his experience in a pro-ready system, changing plays at the line, mechanics, etc. His only real downside is he's on the light side (he had mouth surgery and lost weight as a result) and his deep ball strength could be better. He feels like a better Matt Ryan, which is not the worst thing.

quote:

Schaub hasn't been the most exciting QB but he has been consistently good until last year.

Cutting Schaub would create a lot of cap space for the team, which might be more worthwhile than anything else.

quote:

The Cardinals almost made it to the playoffs and beat the #1 seed in their own building and I don't see people telling them to draft a new QB. And Schaub is at least as good as Palmer. Probably better.

Palmer has much better arm strength (whereas Schaub has probably lost a lot of his own due to his foot injury, a la Delhomme). Palmer isn't seen as the long-term solution at QB, either; if the Texans don't grab Mettenberger at #33, I could easily see Arizona doing the same and sitting him for a year. With Zach's arm strength, he'd be perfect for Arian's vertical offense.

quote:

Wouldn't it be better to draft Clowney, let Yates or Keenum go and draft a late round QB?

I think Yates deserves another shot compared to how many starts Keenum got last year, but we could still draft Clowney and get a 2nd-round prospect like Mettenberger or Boyd, or wait until the 3rd and grab Murray or Fales. Brett Smith might blow up at the East-West Shrine game where Romeo Crennel is coaching, who knows.

MJBuddy
Sep 22, 2008

Now I do not know whether I was then a head coach dreaming I was a Saints fan, or whether I am now a Saints fan, dreaming I am a head coach.

bhsman posted:

Uhh which one are you referring to? :stare: Boyd is seen as more raw (or at least in need of refinement) and would have to learn how to take snaps under center, whereas Mettenberger isn't as athletic but played in a pro-style system at LSU and has a stronger arm and is more pro-ready.

EDIT: Mett's ACL was surgically repaired the day after LSU's bowl game, so recovery-wise he could be ready to go by training camp. I wouldn't mind letting him sit for a few games and heal up, though.

I actually feel like you could put Mettenburger in Cinci and at least replicate Dalton, which means he should be good enough to play somewhere. The key feature is that that's a good line and supporting cast, and he has a big arm and decent decision making.

This year, especially early in games where hes not under pressure to score, he's made very good decisions that show up on stat sheets in negative ways. Dirting screen passes, chucking the ball out when the reads aren't there, etc.

His mobility is still bad to ugh. If he got put behind a shoddy line and owned it like Rodgers does and just got better at stepping around a rush he'd improve a lot.

Dunno. I'm stupid high on him for some reason. It's hard to be negative about the arm strength, footwork, decision making, etc. It's really easy to hate that his feat are basically in cement shoes.

E: YouTube the mississippi state game. He has to do a ton. I'm not sure if he makes more than one bad throw the entire first half, and that's and overthrown screen that gets picked by a great defender. In the second half I see a few checkdowns that would likely be better thrown away. But his footwork and ball placement is amazing consistently, as is his route timing. Frequently you see him go through multiple reads to finally look back over on a comeback route the second it hits the break. He's obviously got receivers getting open but he's finding them in those windows and putting the ball in the right spot when the talented guys are in man coverage against inferior dbs.

Dude is good.

MJBuddy fucked around with this message at 04:05 on Jan 15, 2014

Coldforge
Oct 29, 2002

I knew it would be bad.
Shrine game team meetings so far, compiled from @draftcampbell:

New York Jets - Cornell quarterback Jeff Mathews, Coastal Carolina wide receiver Matt Hazel, Tennessee center James Stone, Lindenwood cornerback Pierre Desir and Bloomsburg offensive tackle Matt Feiler. Louisiana Tech defensive tackle Justin Ellis, Minnesota safety Brock Vereen, Michigan State linebacker Max Bullough, BYU safety Daniel Sorensen and UCLA defensive end Cassius Marsh. Notre Dame linebacker Prince Shembo, Indiana tight end Ted Bolser, Wisconsin guard Ryan Groy, Pitt State wide receiver John Brown, San Jose State cornerback Bene Benwikere, Oregon State cornerback Rashaad Reynolds and Oklahoma guard Gabe Ikard.

Arizona Cardinals - Utah State cornerback Nevin Lawson and McGill (Canada) tackle Laurent Duvernay-Tardif.

New Orleans Saints - Purdue cornerback Ricardo Allen, Penn State guard John Urschel and Tennessee center James Stone. Arizona State safety Alden Darby, Texas cornerback Carrington Byndom, Minnesota safety Brock Vereen, Furman guard Dakota Dozier and USC linebacker Devon Kennard.

Oakland Raiders - Purdue cornerback Ricardo Allen.

Green Bay Packers - general manager Ted Thompson spoke with North Carolina safety Tre Boston.

Denver Broncos - Fresno State guard Austin Wentworth.

Washington Redskins - Arizona cornerback Shaq Richardson, Louisiana Tech defensive tackle Justin Ellis, Boise State offensive tackle Charles Leno and Sam Houston State Timothy Flanders. Boise State offensive tackle Charles Leno Jr., Michigan State inside linebacker Max Bullough.

Cleveland Browns - Indiana tight end Ted Bolser and San Jose State wide receiver Chandler Jones. USC linebacker Devon Kennard.

Baltimore Ravens - Georgia guard Christopher Burnette.

Cincinnati Bengals - Michigan State linebacker Max Bullough.

New York Giants - South Dakota linebacker Tyler Starr.

Carolina Panthers - Louisiana Tech defensive tackle Justin Ellis.

Philadelphia Eagles - USC linebacker Devon Kennard.

San Diego Chargers - Eastern Illinois quarterback Jimmy Garoppolo, Delaware defensive tackle Zachariah Kerr and Penn State guard John Urschel. Furman guard Dakota Dozier, UCLA defensive end Cassius Marsh, San Jose State wide receiver Chandler Jones, San Jose State cornerback Bene Benwikere and Oregon State cornerback Rashaad Reynolds. Washington safety Sean Parker, Ball State quarterback Keith Wenning, Colorado defensive end Chidera Uzo-Diribe and Furman guard Dakota Dozier.

St. Louis - Vanderbilt cornerback Andre Hal. Oklahoma State tight end Blake Jackson, Youngstown State guard Chris Elkins and Rice cornerback Philip Gaines. USC offensive tackle Kevin Graf, Washington safety Sean Parker, Michigan State linebacker Max Bullough and UCLA defensive end Cassius Marsh. UCLA defensive end Cassius Marsh and South Dakota linebacker Tyler Starr.

San Francisco - Cornell quarterback Jeff Mathews. Florida State defensive lineman Demonte McAllister, Western Kentucky linebacker Xavius Boyd and McGill (Canada) tackle Laurent Duvernay-Tardif. UCLA defensive end Cassius Marsh. Arizona cornerback Shaw Richardson.

He also notes that Eastern Illinois quarterback Jimmy Garoppolo has held interviews with the Kansas City Chiefs, Jacksonville Jaguars and Tampa Bay Buccaneers, among others.

Elotana
Dec 12, 2003

bhsman posted:

Uhh which one are you referring to? :stare: Boyd is seen as more raw (or at least in need of refinement)
This is bullshit. Mett has one good year of tape and Boyd has three.

bhsman
Feb 10, 2008

by exmarx
Stay AWAY from Ricardo Allen, New Orleans and Oakland. He's OUR 4th-round awesome slot corner pickup. <:mad:>

MJBuddy posted:

Dude is good.

I more or less agree with all of this, and reiterate your point about Zach being good at throwing dudes open. He's also ice-fuckin'-cold on third-and-long, especially during the Georgia game.

I think you're referring to the Ole Miss game; we came back to blow out Miss. State, but it was kinda ugly at first.

Elotana posted:

This is bullshit. Mett has one good year of tape and Boyd has three.

Mettenberger edges Boyd out easily when it comes to mechanics (and experience working under center), accuracy, ball placement, and height. Boyd has the obvious advantage in athleticism and mobility, but he didn't have the best accuracy this year and takes most of his snaps at shotgun/plays in a spread offense that might hamper his transition to the NFL. Both of them have legit arm strength but Mett is probably a bit better.

So yeah, Mettenberger is a bit better in my eyes. I'll throw Boyd a bone and say that he has some inherent chemistry with Hopkins, and that could be really valuable.

EDIT: Boyd also has a tendency to escape the pocket before pressure reaches him (as in he doesn't stick around when he should) but Mett sometimes has trouble holding on to the ball for too long, though as some have pointed out, Cam's offense required him to make multiple reads (which is a really good trait to have) and the wideouts made time-consuming routes. Combined with the up-and-down nature of the offensive line and you get those weird sacks on him.

bhsman fucked around with this message at 04:13 on Jan 15, 2014

MJBuddy
Sep 22, 2008

Now I do not know whether I was then a head coach dreaming I was a Saints fan, or whether I am now a Saints fan, dreaming I am a head coach.

bhsman posted:

Stay AWAY from Ricardo Allen, New Orleans and Oakland. He's OUR 4th-round awesome slot corner pickup. <:mad:>

I more or less agree with all of this, and reiterate your point about Zach being good at throwing dudes open. He's also ice-fuckin'-cold on third-and-long, especially during the Georgia game.

I think you're referring to the Ole Miss game; we came back to blow out Miss. State, but it was kinda ugly at first.

I meant msst but forgot LSU won, so I edited that out!

Still they put 8 in the box the whole night to stop Hill and Mettenburger responded with 25/29 and yeah it's MSST but if you don't look good there you can't be given credit anywhere else. It's as close to a Pro Day as you'll get and if he did that against the air he'd be a first rounder.

darkforce898
Sep 11, 2007

bhsman posted:

Cutting Schaub would create a lot of cap space for the team, which might be more worthwhile than anything else.

Just looked this up. A June 1st cut will save the team $11 Million. Wow.

bhsman posted:

Palmer has much better arm strength (whereas Schaub has probably lost a lot of his own due to his foot injury, a la Delhomme). Palmer isn't seen as the long-term solution at QB, either; if the Texans don't grab Mettenberger at #33, I could easily see Arizona doing the same and sitting him for a year. With Zach's arm strength, he'd be perfect for Arian's vertical offense.

I think Yates deserves another shot compared to how many starts Keenum got last year, but we could still draft Clowney and get a 2nd-round prospect like Mettenberger or Boyd, or wait until the 3rd and grab Murray or Fales. Brett Smith might blow up at the East-West Shrine game where Romeo Crennel is coaching, who knows.

This is exactly what I think they should do.

bhsman
Feb 10, 2008

by exmarx

darkforce898 posted:

This is exactly what I think they should do.

Arizona or Houston? And if it's Houston, what exactly should they do? :v:

Elotana
Dec 12, 2003

bhsman posted:

Mettenberger edges Boyd out easily when it comes to mechanics (and experience working under center), accuracy, ball placement, and height. Boyd has the obvious advantage in athleticism and mobility, but he didn't have the best accuracy this year and takes most of his snaps at shotgun/plays in a spread offense that might hamper his transition to the NFL. Both of them have legit arm strength but Mett is probably a bit better.
Mett's CMP% this year is 64.9%, Boyd's was 68.5%, up 1.3% from last year. What am I missing here.

Also the shotgun thing won't be much of an issue if BOB is serious about Patriots South.

Elotana fucked around with this message at 04:19 on Jan 15, 2014

bhsman
Feb 10, 2008

by exmarx

Elotana posted:

Mett's CMP% this year is 64.9%, Boyd's was 68.5%, up 1.3% from last year. What am I missing here.

You aren't going to touch the rest of that?

quote:

Also the shotgun thing won't be much of an issue if BOB is serious about Patriots South.

:stare:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

darkforce898
Sep 11, 2007

bhsman posted:

Arizona or Houston? And if it's Houston, what exactly should they do? :v:

Haha, Sorry.

Whichever one gets there first. I think the Texans should get Clowney, and the draft the best available QB in round 2. Bench him behind Yates or Keenum for a year or so.

And because they wont do this, and they will draft Bridgewater or Bortles instead, Arizona should take the best available QB whenever they draft in the second.

• Locked thread