Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

I hope that the Doctor gets stuck, Pertwee-era style, in Victorian England for the next five years.

(I do not actually hope this.)

(Yes I do.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

moths posted:

I'd take a dozen quarries over Victorian England any day.

gently caress yeah, quarries! I have no problems with quarries being alien worlds. So long as it's an actual alien world, not, you know, a quarry in Victorian England.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

I hope Stax, Vastra and lesbian Buffy get killed by being stomped on by a giant steampunk Cyberman.

Who would have to actually be a weeping angel, of course.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Chairman Capone posted:

I hope Stax, Vastra and lesbian Buffy get killed by being stomped on by a giant steampunk Cyberman.

Who would have to actually be a weeping angel, of course.

They'd only get brought back immediately to cheapen the whole affair because gently caress YOU MOFFAT SHE HAD A GOOD DEATH.

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax
Where did Vastra come from, anyway? Isn't she an old RTD character?

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

Irish Joe posted:

The Silurians weren't even in Modern-Who until Series 5. Vastra herself first appeared in Good Man Goes to War, I believe.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

Irish Joe posted:

She was a suddenly appearing old friend the Doctor has who we've never seen before.

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax
Well that explains my confusion.

RyuujinBlueZ
Oct 9, 2007

WHAT DID YOU DO?!

The_Doctor posted:

gently caress yeah, quarries! I have no problems with quarries being alien worlds. So long as it's an actual alien world, not, you know, a quarry in Victorian England.

I legitimately want the Doctor to end up in a quarry that the TARDIS tells him is some alien world, go through an entire adventure there, and then find out at the end it was Victorian England all along.

Rochallor
Apr 23, 2010

ふっっっっっっっっっっっっck

RyuujinBlueZ posted:

I legitimately want the Doctor to end up in a quarry that the TARDIS tells him is some alien world, go through an entire adventure there, and then find out at the end it was Victorian England all along.

I'm like 90% certain the original series made that joke at some point.

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 31 days!

Rochallor posted:

I'm like 90% certain the original series made that joke at some point.

They did, in "The Hand of Fear". The Doctor and Sarah Jane landed in what the Doctor presumed was part of an alien planet, only to discover that it was in fact a British rock quarry.

Box of Bunnies
Apr 3, 2012

by Pragmatica

The_Doctor posted:

She was a suddenly appearing old friend the Doctor has who we've never seen before.

See, I like the whole "here's some old friends of the Doctor's that you've never seen before" thing. The idea of showing that he has a big life outside of what we see on the TV show is kinda blunted if you just keep going back to that one group, though.

Republican Vampire
Jun 2, 2007

Big Mean Jerk posted:

No, no, no, you see Moffat needs to bring back more of his Very Clever Pet Characters because they're Very Clever, you see. And that means going back to Victorian England.

I think that the real reason for the Paternoster Gang is that Moffat wants a multiple companion setup but that it's too expensive. So they can hang around as pseudo-companions to fill out the ensemble a couple times a series, while he can include guests (Like Rory's Dad or Kate Stewart) in other episodes.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Sydney Bottocks posted:

They did, in "The Hand of Fear". The Doctor and Sarah Jane landed in what the Doctor presumed was part of an alien planet, only to discover that it was in fact a British rock quarry.

There's also that episode of the Chase where the First Doctor claims that entered a world of imagination powered by people's fears and it was actually just a cheesy haunted house.

RyuujinBlueZ
Oct 9, 2007

WHAT DID YOU DO?!

Sydney Bottocks posted:

Fine, make it a Scottish quarry. Nobody would see it coming!

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

I like the concept with the Paternoster Gang, faux-Erinem, and Riddell as well as the hundreds of years between episodes that Moffat is going out of his way to set up long swaths of time for tons of future 11th Doctor novels and audios with companions we haven't seen. It seem almost canon now that the 9th and 10th Doctors had very short lives without much wiggle room for other adventures (except I hope beyond hope that one day we'll get 3 seasons of BF audios with 9, Jack and Rose between The Doctor Dances and Boom Town :allears: ). It's good that Moffat is allowing for a greater expanded universe.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Astroman posted:

I like the concept with the Paternoster Gang, faux-Erinem, and Riddell as well as the hundreds of years between episodes that Moffat is going out of his way to set up long swaths of time for tons of future 11th Doctor novels and audios with companions we haven't seen. It seem almost canon now that the 9th and 10th Doctors had very short lives without much wiggle room for other adventures (except I hope beyond hope that one day we'll get 3 seasons of BF audios with 9, Jack and Rose between The Doctor Dances and Boom Town :allears: ). It's good that Moffat is allowing for a greater expanded universe.

Everyone says this but it's implied that Ten traveled for a very long time during the year of specials and there's just as much (if not more) room for him to have gone on lots of adventures with companions we've never even seen.

Nine's different, but I doubt Eccleston would ever do Big Finish anyway.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!

RyuujinBlueZ posted:

Fine, make it a Scottish quarry. Nobody would see it coming!

Scotland is part of Britain fyi

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

We don't have quarries here in America because there's no room for them in New York City, the White House or the Wild West, our three settings.

RyuujinBlueZ
Oct 9, 2007

WHAT DID YOU DO?!

MrL_JaKiri posted:

I'm aware. Why do you think no one would see it coming?

vegetables
Mar 10, 2012

Bicyclops posted:

Everyone says this but it's implied that Ten traveled for a very long time during the year of specials and there's just as much (if not more) room for him to have gone on lots of adventures with companions we've never even seen.

Nine's different, but I doubt Eccleston would ever do Big Finish anyway.

Nine somehow has 100 years of pre-Rose travels as of Day of the Doctor; he's one mirror-based retcon away from being in a similar boat.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

vegetables posted:

Nine somehow has 100 years of pre-Rose travels as of Day of the Doctor; he's one mirror-based retcon away from being in a similar boat.

I never count what the Doctor says his age is as meaning anything because it varies widely, there's evidence indicating he just makes it up and realistically, how and why would he even keep track of it?

Mortanis
Dec 28, 2005

It's your father's lightsaber. This is the weapon of a Jedi Knight.
College Slice
The Doctor does have a diary. I just don't think we've seen it since The Movie (When it was the 900 Year Diary, I think)

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!

MrL_JaKiri posted:

We'll soon see about that #VoteYes

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
The only part of the UK the Doctor's never visited is Northern Ireland.

Now, I'm not sure why anyone in their right mind would want to visit Northern Ireland, mind you, I'm just putting it out there.

Whorelord
May 1, 2013

Jump into the well...

2house2fly posted:

You know I never know whether to be pro-independence out of spite or pro-union out of spite.

Truly, it's hard.

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

im stupider then dog shit, i dont give a shit, and i dont give a fuck, and i will never shut the fuck up, and i'll always Respect my enemys.
- ernest hemingway
The doctor visits ireland during the famine and matches wits with a monster potato

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!

2house2fly posted:

If we're being pedantic (and you know we are), independence would only mean Scotland wasn't a part of the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland*, it would still be a part of Great Britain as that's the name of the island it's on.

*Which would presumably become "the United Kingdom of Great Britain, minus Scotland, and Northern Ireland" which might be enough to take it up a notch in the "Longest country names" ladder

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Rita Repulsa posted:

The doctor visits ireland during the famine and matches wits with a monster potato

Strax?

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

Martha Jones.

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug

Metal Loaf posted:

The only part of the UK the Doctor's never visited is Northern Ireland.

Now, I'm not sure why anyone in their right mind would want to visit Northern Ireland, mind you, I'm just putting it out there.

Hellboy did.

Hellboy 1
Dr Who 0

qntm
Jun 17, 2009

vegetables posted:

I thought it was consensus that Nine had some solo adventures between disappearing and reappearing at the very tail end of Rose. In particular, visiting the Kennedy assassination, Krakatoa, and preventing some people from boarding the Titanic, as seen earlier in the same episode. You could easily fit a century of shenanigans in there, all of it technically "before" Rose joins as a companion.

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer

Ratspeaker posted:

People in the other thread poo poo on RTD all the time, but I really enjoyed his seasons. Even in his worst episodes, he wrote characters that would just cling to you. No way I would have stayed with the series if I'd started off with Moffat. Though maybe part of it is blissful ignorance, since I didn't start watching the classic series until after season four, so I never figured out exactly how badly he hosed up in The End of Time.

They really don't. I wish they did but they all love him as much as you do. It's loving terrible.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Regarde Aduck posted:

They really don't. I wish they did but they all love him as much as you do. It's loving terrible.

Woe is you, the sole RTD Hater of them all.

Hint, you're not. Everyone hates RTD and everyone hates Moffat and everyone loves RTD and everyone loves Moffat. These are the facts of the fandom.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

qntm posted:

I thought it was consensus that Nine had some solo adventures between disappearing and reappearing at the very tail end of Rose. In particular, visiting the Kennedy assassination, Krakatoa, and preventing some people from boarding the Titanic, as seen earlier in the same episode. You could easily fit a century of shenanigans in there, all of it technically "before" Rose joins as a companion.

Dropping a letter off at a pub in 15th century London...

Toph Bei Fong
Feb 29, 2008

Burkion posted:

Hint, you're not. Everyone hates RTD and everyone hates Moffat and everyone loves RTD and everyone loves Moffat. These are the facts of the fandom.

I'm sure somewhere in the BBC archives there's an angry letter postmarked 31 November, 1963, that begins:

quote:

"Dear Miss Lambert, I don't know where you get off turning my show about two teachers and the ornery professor into a bizarre caveman romp, but you'd better quit it right now. By sending the Doctor and his companions back to such a primitive era, you have effectively removed any interest I had in the show..."

And then the hand-typed newsletter cranked out on 8 December, 1963, that starts:

quote:

"We've seen "The Firemaker," the episode that airs in a couple days (except for the last scene, which was left off for mega-spoiler reasons, I guess.) And... it's not going to change anybody's mind about Lambert's Who. If you've been enjoying this season, you'll probably enjoy "The Firemaker," and if you've found the direction of the series a bit frustrating, then this episode, too, will frustrate you. The most surprising thing about "The Firemaker" is how unsurprising it all feels — it's exactly what you expect from Lambert, at this point.

But watching "The Firemaker" also cements how much Lambert has made Doctor Who her own, at this point, redefining the show even more than Sydney Newman had. Lambert is remaking Doctor Who's mythos along her own lines, and even though fans are polarized by the results, there's something brilliant about seeing a talented writer take a classic story and rebuild it from the ground up. We wondered before whether Lambert has a "master plan" for Doctor Who — and by now, it's clear she doesn't. She does, however, have themes and preoccupations that she keeps coming back to, over and over."

Kircheis
Aug 14, 2007
In every age, in every place, the deeds of men remain the same.

Astroman posted:

Moffat is going out of his way to set up long swaths of time for tons of future 11th Doctor novels and audios with companions we haven't seen.

In one of the recent Big Finish podcasts, Nicholas Briggs said that when he was recording his lines for Time of the Doctor, Moffat told him that he left some big gaps in 11's timeline for the inevitable 11th Doctor adventures. Apparently Matt said he'd be interested in recording some if they get the license sometime (which may be more likely after AudioGo's bankruptcy.)

Also, apparently Moffat wrote the line in Night of the Doctor where the 8th Doctor mentioned the Big Finish companions as a surprise for them - sounds like he's a fan of what they're doing with the classic Doctors.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

Kircheis posted:

In one of the recent Big Finish podcasts, Nicholas Briggs said that when he was recording his lines for Time of the Doctor, Moffat told him that he left some big gaps in 11's timeline for the inevitable 11th Doctor adventures. Apparently Matt said he'd be interested in recording some if they get the license sometime (which may be more likely after AudioGo's bankruptcy.)

Also, apparently Moffat wrote the line in Night of the Doctor where the 8th Doctor mentioned the Big Finish companions as a surprise for them - sounds like he's a fan of what they're doing with the classic Doctors.

It's funny, when BF got the license back in '99, they got together a bunch of writers to propose storylines, and Moffat was one of the writers present, but left shortly into when it was revealed that only Peter, Colin, and Sylvester had signed on. Apparently he wasn't interested in writing for any Doctor other than McGann . . . then never did one when they did get McGann. Which is strange considering how much he loves Peter.

Also, that meeting had the :psyduck: moment of Paul Cornell being a dick to Nick Briggs.

BF wanted to get their first release out as soon as possible, so they went with a writer who had experience writing Doctor Who (the Audio Visuals fan audios) and more importantly, writing in the audio medium. So Jason Haigh-Ellery and Gary Russell chose Nick Briggs. Which Cornell took great offense at. Since he had been one of the tentpole writers on the NAs, he felt the writer of the first one should have been "special", and told Briggs "frankly, that darling, that ain't you."

Considering how awful Cornell's "The Shadow of the Scourge" was, I think BF made the right choice.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

qntm posted:

I think maybe the Titanic one could have been shortly after regenerating, since he's wearing Edwardian style clothes like the War Doctor had under his jacket (might have been Eight's that he kept, actually-which still matches up, since obviously the war doctor didn't exist in the minds of the writing staff at that point).

Yvonmukluk fucked around with this message at 01:00 on Jan 16, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 31 days!

Bicyclops posted:

We don't have quarries here in America because there's no room for them in New York City, the White House or the Wild West, our three settings.

All of which are filmed in Vancouver. :v:

• Locked thread