Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ryan8723
May 18, 2004

Trust me, I read it on TexAgs.

Frackie Robinson posted:

Junction Boys II: Black Bear and the Burnt Orange Nightmare

Junction Boys II: Out with the Brown, in with the Black

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zypher
Sep 3, 2009

Rutgers

Your 2006
Mythical National
Champions!
Texas trademarking Stronghorns; still wondering if they've checked Urban Dictionary.

Thermos H Christ
Sep 6, 2007

WINNINGEST BEVO

Zypher posted:

Texas trademarking Stronghorns; still wondering if they've checked Urban Dictionary.

If the urbandictionary thing prevents them from using the term I'm all for it. I didn't like Mack's name being put before the program and I don't like the idea of Strong's name being put in front either. But I'm also not convinced that term is legitimately used in the sense suggested by urbandictionary. There are a million bullshit entries on urbandictionary where basically one person used the term once, or it's an inside joke or something. Until Texas fans started using the term on twitter there was only ever the one entry from 2010. Is anyone actually claiming to have heard this in the wild before Strong was announced?

Also word on the street is Strong will officially announce his staff in about an hour, but twitter has steered me wrong before.

heel turn
Jan 6, 2004

Some boy tried to step to me at the county fair. I said son u clearly have no ideal what creek im from

kayakyakr posted:

Texas Tech QB Michael Brewer is transferring after the spring semester. Expected to receive a release to any team not on TTU's 2014 and 2015 schedules. Will be eligible to play immediately with 2 years of eligibility.

This leaves TTU with 1 scholarship QB for the spring. Yikes.

I don't think Texas Tech can block where he transfers to because he will have graduated. Tyler Patmon did the same thing this year (Kansas to Oklahoma State).

Judgy Fucker
Mar 24, 2006

KICK BAMA KICK posted:

Oh poo poo I just remembered Auburn will face off against Louisville to open 2015 in Atlanta. Already a potentially interesting game but now with Petrino that's awesome.

I wish there was somewhere that compiled big OOC match-ups for next year. Even if we're however many months out they still get me jacked up.

Scarf
Jun 24, 2005

On sight
Vic Beasley is coming back for another year at Clemson :dance:

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

I find myself super-excited over this Franklin fellow and Penn State's future.

Obviously he will be the Browns head coach by 2015.

SmellsLikeToast
Dec 30, 2005

A GREATER MAN THAN I DESERVE

Scarf posted:

Boo.

lamentable dustman
Apr 13, 2007

🏆🏆🏆

Scarf posted:

Our front 4 and LBs going to be sick next year. If the secondary can figure out coverage assignments our defense is going to be awesome

RumbleFish
Dec 20, 2007

Dabo's ability to get these guys to stick around when they should bolt is unparalleled.

The Human Cow
May 24, 2004

hurry up
Awesome news. Dude must really, really want to lock down that first round pick.

Jeremor
Jun 1, 2009

Drop Your Nuts

RumbleFish posted:

Dabo's ability to get these guys to stick around when they should bolt is unparalleled.

He can guilt-trip with the best moms.

Maybe it's the sweaters

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Thoguh posted:

I still have no idea how this stuff is going to square with Title IX. It seems like a huge oversight not to be addressing that up front and loudly. Title IX is a federal law, not an NCAA rule. So will still apply.

Couldn't at least smaller schools skirt that by just not offering payment for anyone?

punched my v-card at camp
Sep 4, 2008

Broken and smokin' where the infrared deer plunge in the digital snake
Could schools skirt title IX by offering a standard (and very low) level of compensation to all athletes and then creating a formula based on NCAA-wide revenue patterns by sport to add to the stipends, using the rhetoric of revenue sharing? It couldn't be school or conference based just because I assume one of the major sticking points on this will be that everybody will want uniformity in compensation, but this would let schools pay basketball and football players (and to a degree women's basketball players) more than say, softball players or wrestlers.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

James Franklin bought an ad in the Nashville Tennessean

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

damn i'm really in this bitch

DJExile posted:

Well, that's nice :unsmith:

Scarf
Jun 24, 2005

On sight

RumbleFish posted:

Honestly it's not that hard to decide to stick around in such an awesome environment.

And Dabo has always said his priority is to make sure these guys leave with a degree if at all possible.

Scarf fucked around with this message at 16:17 on Jan 16, 2014

buddychrist10
Nov 4, 2009

Obtuse.....even hokey.

DJExile posted:

Forever Grateful....for those ex-Vandy recruits I'm taking with me to Penn State.

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back

dude789 posted:

Forever Grateful....for those ex-Vandy recruits I'm taking with me to Penn State.

You remember how Kiffin and Coach O almost destroyed Tennessee's recruiting class as they was going out the door? Well Franklin actually accomplished this with Vandy.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
It's not like they've signed or something. Of course he's going to try to recurit them to his new school. Trying to get the best recruits he's can is part of the job. And anyway the players are signing a lot of times because they really like the coach. It's natural that they'd want to follow him to his new job if they have the chance.

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

I doubt it takes tremendous effort to get anyone to consider Penn State over Vanderbilt.

warheadr
Jul 6, 2005
The rest of Spurrier's contract details have been released. His $4 mil salary also comes with an extension through 2018, and a position as university ambassador after he retires. All his main assistant coaches also get raises and extensions, most notably DC Lorenzo Ward who gets 3-year extension and a 100k raise to 750k/year.

Spurdog gonna be a Gamecock till he dies and it's gonna own.

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back

MourningView posted:

It's not like they've signed or something. Of course he's going to try to recurit them to his new school. Trying to get the best recruits he's can is part of the job. And anyway the players are signing a lot of times because they really like the coach. It's natural that they'd want to follow him to his new job if they have the chance.

Of course, still nice job considering he did it all during the dead period. This is also coming from the same coach who whined that about how people who de-commit after an verbal are not 'men of honor'. That said everyone knew Vandy was done for with Franklin leaving. Tennessee has even benefited, and picked-up one of the Vandy de-commits. Thank you Franklin.

sportsgenius86 posted:

I doubt it takes tremendous effort to get anyone to consider Penn State over Vanderbilt.

I would take Vandy over PSU any day, but that has nothing to do with playing football.

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations

sportsgenius86 posted:

Want to study less and have nicer facilities?

KKKLIP ART
Sep 3, 2004

nate fisher posted:

I would take Vandy over PSU any day, but that has nothing to do with playing football.

I was going to try to make a joke about the worth and value of a Vanderbilt general education degree, but the actually don't seem to offer one and seem (unsurprisingly) to have real, actual degree programs. Only thing they don't have that Penn State does is institutional conspiracy to cover up a child rapist. Tough choice though.

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

damn i'm really in this bitch

sportsgenius86 posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6XDe1qa2On0

JesustheDarkLord
May 22, 2006

#VolsDeep
Lipstick Apathy

MourningView posted:

That's why the NCAA requires players to sit out a year when there is a coaching change.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

JesustheDarkLord posted:

That's why the NCAA requires players to sit out a year when there is a coaching change.

Not players who haven't signed yet, but that is also a really stupid rule that they should get rid of.

RumbleFish
Dec 20, 2007

warheadr posted:

The rest of Spurrier's contract details have been released. His $4 mil salary also comes with an extension through 2018, and a position as university ambassador after he retires. All his main assistant coaches also get raises and extensions, most notably DC Lorenzo Ward who gets 3-year extension and a 100k raise to 750k/year.

Spurdog gonna be a Gamecock till he dies and it's gonna own.

Looks like this is gonna be the first time under Spurrier that his staff stays intact, too. Pretty huge relief.

Captain von Trapp
Jan 23, 2006

I don't like it, and I'm sorry I ever had anything to do with it.

DinosaurEggSalad posted:

Could schools skirt title IX by offering a standard (and very low) level of compensation to all athletes and then creating a formula based on NCAA-wide revenue patterns by sport to add to the stipends, using the rhetoric of revenue sharing? It couldn't be school or conference based just because I assume one of the major sticking points on this will be that everybody will want uniformity in compensation, but this would let schools pay basketball and football players (and to a degree women's basketball players) more than say, softball players or wrestlers.

It's not like there's anything approaching uniformity now. Football players already live, work, and eat in palaces that would make Louis XIV blush. Why would cash compensation be any different?

RumbleFish
Dec 20, 2007

Scarf posted:

Honestly it's not that hard to decide to stick around in such an awesome environment.

And Dabo has always said his priority is to make sure these guys leave with a degree if at all possible.

Sorry, missed this earlier -- I don't disagree with encouraging guys to get a degree when they're unlikely to be drafted high (or at all). However, Dabo continually convincing first-rounders to return doesn't exactly come off as selfless. In particular, I'm thinking of how he bitched to the media about Hopkins and basically threw him under the bus for daring to leave early, saying he needed more time at Clemson (which of course was hilariously wrong).

Scarf
Jun 24, 2005

On sight

RumbleFish posted:

Sorry, missed this earlier -- I don't disagree with encouraging guys to get a degree when they're unlikely to be drafted high (or at all). However, Dabo continually convincing first-rounders to return doesn't exactly come off as selfless. In particular, I'm thinking of how he bitched to the media about Hopkins and basically threw him under the bus for daring to leave early, saying he needed more time at Clemson (which of course was hilariously wrong).

True, but to think any other coach would act differently is also hilariously wrong.

Azrial
Apr 26, 2002

Coach, how did we beat Tennessee this year? The same way Vanderbilt did.

Scarf posted:

True, but to think any other coach would act differently is also hilariously wrong.

Spurrier has always recommended first rounders leave early, he used to bitch about third and below but after watching the Lattimore situation now says if you can make some money go make some money.

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

MourningView posted:

Not players who haven't signed yet, but that is also a really stupid rule that they should get rid of.

I don't think there is a good solution for that. On one hand you want the athletes to have as much flexibility as possible. But on the other hand you don't want to allow it to turn into a complete free agent market.

I think a good start would be to make scholarships a 5 year commitment (or 2/3 years for Juco guys) from the school where the only reasons they could get pulled would be if a guy is failing out or if it was transferred to a medical hardship scholarship.

Thoguh fucked around with this message at 19:25 on Jan 16, 2014

Crotch Bat
Dec 6, 2003

Much like with everything else in life, the Euros seem to have more sense on how to do things in a fun atmosphere without sucking the soul out of the event.

Thoguh posted:

I don't think there is a good solution for that. On one hand you want the athletes to have as much flexibility as possible. But on the other hand you don't want to allow it to turn into a complete free agent market.

I think a good start would be to make scholarships a 5 year commitment (or 2/3 years for Juco guys) from the school where the only reasons they could get pulled would be if a guy is failing out or if it was transferred to a medical hardship scholarship.

Nah, 5 year stuff is a whole can of worms nobody wants to open. Yearly is how it should be.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

Crotch Bat posted:

Nah, 5 year stuff is a whole can of worms nobody wants to open. Yearly is how it should be.

When they're recruited they're sold on it as a four or five year committment where they're going to be part of the family and get their degree and all that horseshit, why shouldn't the school actually live up to that? I would guess the vast majority of them don't even realize it's a year to year thing.

Dr_Strangelove
Dec 16, 2003

Mein Fuhrer! THEY WON!

DJExile posted:

So Long, and Thanks for All the Rape

RumbleFish
Dec 20, 2007

Azrial posted:

Spurrier has always recommended first rounders leave early, he used to bitch about third and below but after watching the Lattimore situation now says if you can make some money go make some money.

Yeah, this. Spurrier seems to let kids take full control of their draft decisions, which rankles a good bit of our fanbase. From a selfish perspective, sure, it's hard to watch so many underclassmen take off year after year. But most of these guys need to strike while their iron is hot and Spurrier seems to understand and appreciate that.

Thermos H Christ
Sep 6, 2007

WINNINGEST BEVO

MourningView posted:

When they're recruited they're sold on it as a four or five year committment where they're going to be part of the family and get their degree and all that horseshit, why shouldn't the school actually live up to that? I would guess the vast majority of them don't even realize it's a year to year thing.

So wait, can a player agree to play for a school in exchange for a scholarship, get horribly injured on the football field, and then lose their scholarship because they can't play anymore? If so, that's incredibly hosed up. "Yeah sorry, we have no use for you now that you've destroyed your body while making money for us."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Notorious ZSB
Apr 19, 2004

I SAID WE'RE NOT GONNA BE FUCKING SUCK THIS YEAR!!!

Thermos H Christ posted:

So wait, can a player agree to play for a school in exchange for a scholarship, get horribly injured on the football field, and then lose their scholarship because they can't play anymore? If so, that's incredibly hosed up. "Yeah sorry, we have no use for you now that you've destroyed your body while making money for us."

That's basically it, although there exists a change in their scholarship if they want to stay and get their education. They won't be a part of the athletic team, none of the benefits of team meals, doctors etc. But they can generally keep their academic scholarship if they choose to complete that following a career ending injury. They simply stop counting towards your 85 total #. At least I know that's possible, how many actually use it I dunno.

• Locked thread