Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Deceptive Thinker
Oct 5, 2005

I'll rip out your optics!

Vexrm posted:

So, any chances crafting will be viable and remain relative in elder game?

They've been saying it will be

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

Deceptive Thinker posted:

That would be appreciated, in most games crafting in endgame is "Here's some bags, have fun."

Xavier: I'm not going to argue anymore, but I think that's not true. If no one tries to change these things, the next group of people that are raised near whatever baised thing will think the same.

Vexrm
Feb 2, 2009

Full of hot raspberry jam blooded passion.

Deceptive Thinker posted:

I wish there was more on that. Oh well. I guess "wait and see".

Evil_Greven
Feb 20, 2007

Whadda I got to,
whadda I got to do
to wake ya up?

To shake ya up,
to break the structure up!?
Okay, I think we've done the whole tits thing about as much as it can be discussed without any dev comments regarding the art direction of WildStar, regrettable as their choice may be to some parties (including myself). No 'boob sliders' are going to be in at release, it seems, so this will probably be an issue more suited to post-release. We know that it's going to be approaching release soon, so major changes like this probably will not happen. I wouldn't call the discussion without merit, but perhaps it is a waste of effort at this time.

I still want to know what the hell they were thinking with this animation. It's as if the female Mechari has a piston for an abdomen. It's frankly so bizarre that it's both distracting and disconcerting, and absolutely puts me off of considering that gender & race combination. I worry for other animations, given commentary elsewhere.

Phoix
Jul 20, 2006

Evil_Greven posted:

I worry for other animations, given commentary elsewhere.

The combat animations are great for most race/class combos. The female walk cycles are pretty bad across the board though.

Cabbit
Jul 19, 2001

Is that everything you have?

Phoix posted:

The combat animations are great for most race/class combos. The female walk cycles are pretty bad across the board though.

.. For largely the same reason this whole bust issue came up. :v: It's sort of an endemic problem. Pretty much all the women in this game are designed from the ground up as display pieces.

If you're Dominion, go fight some of the Osun women in Auroria. It's bewildering.

Cabbit fucked around with this message at 23:14 on Jan 16, 2014

Magical Zero
Aug 21, 2008

The colour out of space.

Evil_Greven posted:

I (shamefully) had a look at that Reddit thread GlazedMcGuffin linked, and what the Christ, that running animation is horrendous.
Haha that character model and animation looks like something you'd find on the TES Nexus. So bad.

CEFG Improved Feminine Running Animation for Wildstar by xXxSon_of_Goku_xXx

Aexo
May 16, 2007
Don't ask, I don't know how to pronounce my name either.
They could just sell (bigger/smaller) boobs in the cash shop and see how important it is to the crying masses.

GlazedMcGuffin
Jan 26, 2004
I'm going with a Granok lady because they make me the least uncomfortable; I'd really like a bigger range of body-types, but I'd settle for just not having a pin-up prance-walk in my face constantly. It's a shame because I'm more interested in some other races, but I gotta consider what I'm gonna be seeing for the entire game.

I promise that if the NDA lifts or I get into the beta I'll have more interesting things to discuss.

rap music
Mar 11, 2006

It seems like it's intentionally oversexualized as part of the campy theme.

No. 6
Jun 30, 2002

Sexual robots. Boop boop beep *cums hard*

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

Aexo posted:

They could just sell (bigger/smaller) boobs in the cash shop and see how important it is to the crying masses.

TERA actually did this. Not sure if the american version got it, but the japanese one did.

Cabbit
Jul 19, 2001

rap music posted:

It seems like it's intentionally oversexualized as part of the campy theme.

It's certainly over-sexualizing the women, which isn't really the definition of 'camp' I'm familiar with as a gay man. I suppose you could make the argument that aurin men look like something that just walked out of a yaoi manga, but I think I've seen a grand total of 3 my entire time playing.

i am tim!
Jan 5, 2005

God damn it, where are my ant keys?! I'm gonna miss my flight!

Cabbit posted:

It's certainly over-sexualizing the women, which isn't really the definition of 'camp' I'm familiar with as a gay man. I suppose you could make the argument that aurin men look like something that just walked out of a yaoi manga, but I think I've seen a grand total of 3 my entire time playing.

Camp can generally mean anything exaggerated to a hillarious, eye-rolling extreme. One thing I've always considered as an example of over-sexualized women to the point of campiness would be Bayonetta. I have no idea if that is what the game designers intended, but I really couldn't help but snicker at the ridiculousness of it all.

That said, I don't see that here. I see an art team that answers the question of "Well what should the ladies look like?" with a shrug and "Babes with horns."

BombermanX
Jan 13, 2011

I'm afraid of other people's opinions when they differ from my own. Please do not hurt my feelings.
I would overlook the objectified females and furries if they added gay marriage. :colbert:

Doh004
Apr 22, 2007

Mmmmm Donuts...

Evil_Greven posted:

I still want to know what the hell they were thinking with this animation. It's as if the female Mechari has a piston for an abdomen. It's frankly so bizarre that it's both distracting and disconcerting, and absolutely puts me off of considering that gender & race combination. I worry for other animations, given commentary elsewhere.

Not that I disagree that about all of this, but you're talking about a mechanical species and are complaining that they walk around as if they have a piston for an abdomen? :what:

Noirex
May 30, 2006

i am tim! posted:

Camp can generally mean anything exaggerated to a hillarious, eye-rolling extreme. One thing I've always considered as an example of over-sexualized women to the point of campiness would be Bayonetta. I have no idea if that is what the game designers intended, but I really couldn't help but snicker at the ridiculousness of it all.

That said, I don't see that here. I see an art team that answers the question of "Well what should the ladies look like?" with a shrug and "Babes with horns."

This is an interesting point to consider but this doesn't scream campy to me. It's cool creepy looking face mask MUST HAVE SPHERICAL SEXY TITS then back to cool creepy looking robes. It's pretty WTF.

I'm personally not so much offended then just disappointed in the route they are taking. The walking/running animations of the female Modesh for example, have to be seen to be believed.

BadLlama
Jan 13, 2006

Frankly, if this game turns out good and I spend many hours on it I thank the developers for putting in these sexualized massive tits so I can save myself the time of having to load up a web browser which will mean more time for raiding in the end.

BuhamutZeo
Jun 1, 2011

Doh004 posted:

Not that I disagree that about all of this, but you're talking about a mechanical species and are complaining that they walk around as if they have a piston for an abdomen? :what:

Tell me again what's mechanical about them? I don't really see anything overtly screaming "robot" about these people. No pistons holding up body parts anywhere, no insides shown off as a series of cogs or anything, or even that much electronic as a substitution for biological body parts. They could just as easily be morbidly thin women in suits of armor. The males have similar iss-oh god why did I just refer to a supposed robot as male? :psyduck:

VVVVV Well, since we're all homo-sapiens... :heysexy:

BuhamutZeo fucked around with this message at 00:25 on Jan 17, 2014

Doh004
Apr 22, 2007

Mmmmm Donuts...
They're called mechari.

Evil_Greven
Feb 20, 2007

Whadda I got to,
whadda I got to do
to wake ya up?

To shake ya up,
to break the structure up!?

Doh004 posted:

I did choose piston as a descriptor because it seemed fitting to the race and movement, but that doesn't make it any less bizarre.

Noirex posted:

I'm personally not so much offended then just disappointed in the route they are taking. The walking/running animations of the female Modesh for example, have to be seen to be believed.
It's not quite so disconcerting as the female Mechari, at least...

This channel seems pretty varied in what they're looking at. (e: like Aurin males, it's madness)

Evil_Greven fucked around with this message at 00:45 on Jan 17, 2014

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

Evil_Greven posted:

I did choose piston as a descriptor because it seemed fitting to the race and movement, but that doesn't make it any less bizarre.

It's not quite so disconcerting as the female Mechari, at least...

This channel seems pretty varied in what they're looking at.

Right, the run animation isn't as bad as the female Mechari one, but it's still godawful. Who looks at that and thinks it even looks good?

Or are they all just staring at the giant beach ball sized butt? :doh:

Tagichatn
Jun 7, 2009

GreyPowerVan posted:

That's probably just due to the obesity problem in America today -- I'm sure all other metrics of male AND female size have went up by a comparable number over the last twenty years.

Yeah but 34B and 34DD have the same band size, just the cup size is larger. Also the article even says that it's mostly because women are more educated about bra sizing.

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

Tagichatn posted:

Yeah but 34B and 34DD have the same band size, just the cup size is larger. Also the article even says that it's mostly because women are more educated about bra sizing.

Oh, I just saw larger and didn't really think about the rest of it.

Also how could being more educated make your cup size become this much larger?

Someone please explain.

Miles O'Brian
May 22, 2006

All we have to lose is our chains
I like the oversexualised fembots because they are made to be a mockery of humanity. I'd prefer that the rest of the races get toned down a little but I wouldn't change the robots for the world. The animations are kinda bad though.

i am tim!
Jan 5, 2005

God damn it, where are my ant keys?! I'm gonna miss my flight!

Noirex posted:

This is an interesting point to consider but this doesn't scream campy to me. It's cool creepy looking face mask MUST HAVE SPHERICAL SEXY TITS then back to cool creepy looking robes. It's pretty WTF.

Oooof, yeah. Those things look like somebody gave the Draugr from Skyrim a boob job, which I'm certain has actually happened given the modding community for that game. That aside, I wasn't trying to argue that Wildstar is in that vein of campiness, rather pointing out to Cabbit that Camp does extend beyond the effeminately gay to the Nth degree type.

Miles O'Brian posted:

I like the oversexualised fembots because they are made to be a mockery of humanity. I'd prefer that the rest of the races get toned down a little but I wouldn't change the robots for the world. The animations are kinda bad though.

I was actually thinking about this earlier. If the rest of the races didn't have the exact same barbie doll proportions for the women, I'd probably be A-OK with the Mechari looking like Futurama style Fembots. I'd take it as tongue-in-cheek, even. That isn't the case so I only have to wonder if they were going for that or genuinely wanted to make fuckbots.

Cabbit
Jul 19, 2001

GreyPowerVan posted:

Someone please explain.

Presumably women were wearing bras that weren't the right size and, knowing more about proper fitting, are now wearing larger ones that fit better. This sort of thing is more common than you might think.

No. 6
Jun 30, 2002

When it comes to media, I honestly wish robots wouldn't have boobs and humans could be regular women and not some oddball comic fetish sexy toy.

kafziel
Nov 11, 2009

Where does the brain go? How?

Brackhar
Aug 26, 2006

I'll give you a definite maybe.

Evil_Greven posted:

Wow. That's completely unappealing. If the other female animations are like this I may just skip ever rolling a female character.

rocket USA
Sep 14, 2011

kafziel posted:

Where does the brain go? How?

You should see that face with all the eye size sliders maxed out.

Scrub-Niggurath
Nov 27, 2007

MMOs should require you to take a kinect picture of yourself from every angle and then generate your character off of that

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

Brackhar posted:

Wow. That's completely unappealing. If the other female animations are like this I may just skip ever rolling a female character.

Welcome to my predicament, just roll chua.

Xavier434
Dec 4, 2002

GreyPowerVan posted:

Xavier: I'm not going to argue anymore, but I think that's not true. If no one tries to change these things, the next group of people that are raised near whatever baised thing will think the same.

I'm going to go ahead and make this my last response as well without picking it up tomorrow so we can get the thread back on track (hopefully).

I am not sure if this will make you feel any better or not, but I have been raising kids for nearly 10 years now and preventing them from becoming racist/sexist/homophobic/etc has been one of the easiest parts of parenting regardless of how much of this content they are exposed to. All it really takes is to teach them to respect others equally, tolerate differences, and lead by example. When my kids see this sort of content(including on a regular basis) they don't even think about how it might represent objectifying women. They just see what they see and think nothing of it which honestly is the best thing we can hope for from society. Sexism is truly gone when people can be exposed to content like this without even relating it in their minds to something offensive and without it influencing them in any significant way at all. It becomes a subject free of controversy. That's pretty much where I am with it now which is probably why my kids are too. It's just skin and cleavage and that's that. If every house were like mine, sexism would cease to exist globally.

I am telling you this because you seem to have a legitimate fear that if the content doesn't change then the problem will persist. I know my example is anecdotal, but I see the same thing everywhere I look with tons of kids. Generations are changing for the better regardless of the state of content. That's why I think the content plays a very minor role in all of this assuming it has any real influence at all. I hope this reduces your fear of what might become of the future even if the content does not change the way you want it to. Also, thank you and others for keeping this civil. It's tough to talk about this subject on the internet these days without the conversation becoming a useless cesspool.

Tagichatn
Jun 7, 2009

GreyPowerVan posted:

Someone please explain.

The statistic that I read said that 80% of women are wearing the wrong size and a lot of those women are thinking that they can't be a D cup since D cups are huge. However, band size plays a part too but a lot of people just look at the letter. A 28D bra is much smaller than a 34D, a 28D has the same cup volume as a 34A.

bUm
Jan 11, 2011
I should've known when this thread's post count had a burst it was for something stupid (again).

To add a little fuel to the fire: it seems a little weird that MMOs have such a big problem with sexism when I feel like MMOs rake in substantially more female gamers than most genres. In my experience, I've run across probably at least 5-10 VOIP confirmed females in MMOs (granted many playing with boyfriend/husband) for every one I've encountered in other genres.

*Mumbles incoherently about gender inequality in STEM fields as the reason for (videogame) content creators' sexist bias*

Least it wasn't for nothing. I had no idea that people were foolish enough to buy shoes without the feet that would be wearing them present or that there were some similarities in this phenomenon with adult (or nearly) women and bra sizes. The more you know.

Wtgamerz
Jan 5, 2005

I tolerate this century
Do we have any clue as to how long the current beta will run till they add more or go into Open?

GlazedMcGuffin
Jan 26, 2004
Well, they're sending out beta keys every week, and they recently had a stress test, which is the second if I recall. Given that they're shooting for a Spring release, I'd guess that we can expect open beta in about a month or two. That's just my uneducated guess, but Stephan Frost did respond with "soonish" to a question on when to expect an open beta.

GlazedMcGuffin fucked around with this message at 03:55 on Jan 17, 2014

Arzachel
May 12, 2012
How many of you are going to roll a male Aurin? How many of you would roll a male character or even play the game if all the races were slight variations male? Tits and rear end with a neck wide waist might not be a bad thing in itself, but stupid as gently caress when it's the only option.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ItBurns
Jul 24, 2007

Xavier434 posted:

If every house were like mine, sexism would cease to exist globally.

New thread title spotted.

BadLlama posted:

Frankly, if this game turns out good and I spend many hours on it I thank the developers for putting in these sexualized massive tits so I can save myself the time of having to load up a web browser which will mean more time for raiding in the end.

:newfap: I even jacked it to that mouse thing. It was alright, I guess.

• Locked thread