Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Wandle Cax
Dec 15, 2006

TheJoker138 posted:

I find pretty much everything he does really boring. But I also think modern R&B is just rap for people who aren't hard enough to actually rap, at least the kind of poo poo R. Kelly does.

That's dumb. R&B singing and rapping are completely different styles. And R Kelly is a decent singer. Also you haven't actually heard anything from his most recent albums. Maybe what you said would apply if you were talking about Chris Brown, who is in fact a wanna be tough guy who does occasionally attempt to rap (badly).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

het
Nov 14, 2002

A dark black past
is my most valued
possession

Bina posted:

B-but... I really like R. Kelly. :ohdear:

Why you gotta bring child pissing into it?
Hahaha why does this not surprise me in the least

edit:

TheJoker138 posted:

But I also think modern R&B is just rap for people who aren't hard enough to actually rap
This is seriously stupid.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Wandle Cax posted:

That's dumb. R&B singing and rapping are completely different styles. And R Kelly is a decent singer. Also you haven't actually heard anything from his most recent albums. Maybe what you said would apply if you were talking about Chris Brown, who is in fact a wanna be tough guy who does occasionally attempt to rap (badly).

I've only heard the kind of stuff that's on the radio around here, which is all poo poo like Chris Brown, yeah. Tough guy poo poo, songs about loving, or songs about going to a club and then loving. Rap without any real edge done by people who can't really sing that well or rap.

sethsez
Jul 14, 2006

He's soooo dreamy...

TheJoker138 posted:

I've only heard the kind of stuff that's on the radio around here, which is all poo poo like Chris Brown, yeah. Tough guy poo poo, songs about loving, or songs about going to a club and then loving. Rap without any real edge done by people who can't really sing that well or rap.

Holy poo poo, "songs about loving" and "acting tough" are not some kind of uniquely defining features of rap. :psyduck:

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

sethsez posted:

Holy poo poo, "songs about loving" and "acting tough" are not some kind of uniquely defining features of rap. :psyduck:

I never said they were?

E: Also all the best rap is hardcore gangster rap which is pretty much exclusively about being tough on some level. And hating the man.

E2: And to further clarify, the Chris Brown type poo poo which is what I'm talking about here seems like really superficial readings of rap filtered through terrible musicians who wish they were rappers but aren't into awful music.

Vince MechMahon fucked around with this message at 02:29 on Jan 3, 2014

DominoDancing
Apr 26, 2008

Each morning after Sunblest
Feel the benefit
Mental arithmetic

TheJoker138 posted:

E: Also all the best rap is hardcore gangster rap

It is? Tell me more!

squeee
Apr 23, 2009

the thrill of the chase.

Lady GaGa posted:

"Pink champagne, gold lame, hair, and fearlessness" - Lady Gaga's "Do What U Want" Remix feat. Christina Aguilera is available on iTunes now. http://smarturl.it/DoWhatUWantX

The Do What U Want Christina version is on iTunes now just in case people missed it!

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

DominoDancing posted:

It is? Tell me more!

I would hope most people would be smart enough to figure out, even on the internet, that when someone says something is "the best" it usually means "in my opinion it is the best" or "it is the kind I enjoy the most." But I guess that's too much to ask for...

redstormpopcorn
Jun 10, 2007
Aurora Master

squeee posted:

The Do What U Want Christina version is on iTunes now just in case people missed it!

It's also on the radio, I haven't heard the R. Kidpee version since it came out.

MOAR
Mar 6, 2012

Death! Put your jacket on or you'll get frostbite!

TheJoker138 posted:

I would hope most people would be smart enough to figure out, even on the internet, that when someone says something is "the best" it usually means "in my opinion it is the best" or "it is the kind I enjoy the most." But I guess that's too much to ask for...

It is on NMD that's for sure! Anytime you have an opinion some anus has to dissect/nitpick every word you say and ask for an essay.

It's not even like I agree with you but I understand what you're saying.

Not all good rap has to be gangster, like a lot of Eminem for example, I guess the Lady Gaga thread is not the place to discuss this though.

DominoDancing
Apr 26, 2008

Each morning after Sunblest
Feel the benefit
Mental arithmetic

TheJoker138 posted:

It's usually not, but if you come out with a statement like "R&B is poo poo because it's not gangster enough, only gangster rap is good" I'm gonna roll my eyes, no matter if you slap an IMO on that or not. Especially if you then come around and tell us that you basically don't now any R&B outside of Chris Brown (who, just to show that we agree on something, is loving horrible).

DominoDancing fucked around with this message at 03:08 on Jan 4, 2014

Proletarian Mango
May 21, 2011

redstormpopcorn posted:

It's also on the radio, I haven't heard the R. Kidpee version since it came out.

Really? Man, I wish the radio stations around here would play that instead of the R.Kelly version.

angerbot
Mar 23, 2004

plob
I just think the R Kelly bit is pointless, there's no reason to have it there.

RetroHelix
Oct 24, 2004

No home should be without one.
Ummmmm excuse me but everyone knows a successful song NEEDS a verse about doing shots in the club and getting naughty.

R. Kelly's inclusion on the album troubles me, especially since she defends him against all of the "lies," as she calls them. So I'm glad I can replace that song with this one.

Full Battle Rattle
Aug 29, 2009

As long as the times refuse to change, we're going to make a hell of a racket.
Gangster R&B is actually my favorite genre of music, It's right up there with psychobilly jazz fusion.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

DominoDancing posted:

It's usually not, but if you come out with a statement like "R&B is poo poo because it's not gangster enough, only gangster rap is good" I'm gonna roll my eyes, no matter if you slap an IMO on that or not. Especially if you then come around and tell us that you basically don't now any R&B outside of Chris Brown (who, just to show that we agree on something, is loving horrible).

My point was the poo poo I've heard is actually trying to be TOO gangster and failing horribly at it. Marvin Gaye, now there was some good rear end R&B. Mainly because it wasn't Chris Brown "look how tough I am let's go to the club, why no I am not a rapper why would you think that?" bullshit.

squeee
Apr 23, 2009

the thrill of the chase.

redstormpopcorn posted:

I've been stuck inside thanks to the blizzards, but I'm glad that radio stations are using Xtina's version instead. Her verse just makes more sense in the song. They could've replaced R. Kelly's part with goats bleating and it would've been better anyway in my mind.

het
Nov 14, 2002

A dark black past
is my most valued
possession

TheJoker138 posted:

My point was the poo poo I've heard is actually trying to be TOO gangster and failing horribly at it. Marvin Gaye, now there was some good rear end R&B. Mainly because it wasn't Chris Brown "look how tough I am let's go to the club, why no I am not a rapper why would you think that?" bullshit.
I think you should just completely avoid ever using the word "gangster" (or "gangsta") with respect to music in the future.

Kuikka
Aug 16, 2006

Bina posted:

B-but... I really like R. Kelly. :ohdear:

Why you gotta bring child pissing into it?

Please read this.

http://blogs.villagevoice.com/music/2013/12/read_the_stomac.php

Lady Gaga wanted to make a music video with both R. Kelly and Terry Richardson. The woman who wrote Swine.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

het posted:

I think you should just completely avoid ever using the word "gangster" (or "gangsta") with respect to music in the future.

I didn't name the sub-genre.

Bina
Dec 28, 2011

Love Deluxe

Kuikka posted:

Please read this.

http://blogs.villagevoice.com/music/2013/12/read_the_stomac.php

Lady Gaga wanted to make a music video with both R. Kelly and Terry Richardson. The woman who wrote Swine.

I honestly don't know why she does work with people who are accused abusers. I don't know if she will ever voice her opinion on it. (Gaga was friends with Perez Hilton after all) Does she do it to bring their work to light, and then let the public do the math?

I like R. Kelly's music. However, the abusive acts that he has committed (as well as Terry's allegedly) will eventually surface in court. The article shed some light I was unaware of- paying off underage girls so they don't retaliate is far more sad than I expected.

As for Terry, I unfortunately need a lot more evidence (court documents, and trials) to throw away my GagaXTerry book. It's sad, but I do believe that even though Terry is odd, it would take a court finding him guilty for me to stop looking at his material that he and Gaga create. I guess there isn't a lot of recent material that makes me cringe. Maybe i'm just used to seeing naked women in ad campaigns too much?

Thank you for sharing the article. It helped.

het
Nov 14, 2002

A dark black past
is my most valued
possession

Bina posted:

As for Terry, I unfortunately need a lot more evidence (court documents, and trials) to throw away my GagaXTerry book. It's sad, but I do believe that even though Terry is odd, it would take a court finding him guilty for me to stop looking at his material that he and Gaga create. I guess there isn't a lot of recent material that makes me cringe. Maybe i'm just used to seeing naked women in ad campaigns too much?
Please stop sharing your horrible goddamn opinions on Terry Richardson.

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

It seems like this album fell off the face of the earth really quickly. Did it bomb that badly?

Doctor Claw
Dec 25, 2007
I'll get you next time Gadget - next time!

TOOT BOOT posted:

It seems like this album fell off the face of the earth really quickly. Did it bomb that badly?

This seems rather damning (from Wikipedia): "The following week, the album dropped to number eight on the Billboard 200 with sales of under 46,000 copies for an 82% sales decrease, making Gaga the first artist to have two albums in the top five list of all-time biggest second-week percentage drops in the Nielsen SoundScan era."

So, of all records in the last 23-ish years, two of GaGa's are in the top 5 biggest sales drops between week one and week two. I don't think GaGa is actually a popular radio artist, making mad money like Katy Perry or whatever - I think GaGa just has a super dedicated cult of a few million fans, they buy the records and the tickets, and the general public sees her when she's on daytime TV or awards shows.

Wandle Cax
Dec 15, 2006

Doctor Claw posted:

This seems rather damning (from Wikipedia): "The following week, the album dropped to number eight on the Billboard 200 with sales of under 46,000 copies for an 82% sales decrease, making Gaga the first artist to have two albums in the top five list of all-time biggest second-week percentage drops in the Nielsen SoundScan era."

Well it did actually sell a few more after week 2 but it's been disappointing sales wise. Maybe with a video for DWUW and a successful next single it can sell some more. Also with all her touring and what not, it's pretty likely she's made as much money as Katy Perry if not more. Also a super dedicated cult of a few million fans? Pretty sure that would qualify as a popular artist.

somnambulist
Mar 27, 2006

quack quack

What that wiki article fails to mention is that Born this way sold over a million copies week 1, so naturally a huge decrease would happen percentage wise week 2. It's misleading and makes both albums look like duds sales wise.

Not only that but artpop hasn't even sold that badly. It's disappointing for gaga standards, not real standards.

Aladdin
Feb 16, 2011
Not gonna lie, she really should have just used the footage from her O2 commercial and smashed it with whatever she filmed with R Kelly. Still would have been better than the Edge of Glory video and the nothing we've had for so long.

het
Nov 14, 2002

A dark black past
is my most valued
possession

somnambulist posted:

What that wiki article fails to mention is that Born this way sold over a million copies week 1, so naturally a huge decrease would happen percentage wise week 2. It's misleading and makes both albums look like duds sales wise.

Not only that but artpop hasn't even sold that badly. It's disappointing for gaga standards, not real standards.
Yeah, an artist with a single large drop in sales may just be someone who's fallen off, having that pattern occur multiple times is more an indication of a large and rabid fanbase who all buy the album the first week it's out.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

I still haven't bought Artpop yet because the loving vinyl doesn't drop until next month :colbert:

pettifogged
Nov 5, 2008

somnambulist posted:

BTW sales were also artificially inflated at the time, selling it on Amazon on release day for 99 cents, in bundles with other items etc...everyone was quick to drag her over the coals then for doing it (rightly so) but everyone seems to have forgotten that now and is screaming about sales drops and flopping etc now that it makes Artpop seem way worse in comparison. BTW would never have sold like that without the marketing gimmicks but people talk it up now like it was this amazing millions-selling world changing album, when it was pretty panned at first. (However I'm sure it still would have sold a few more than artpop ended up doing anyway so moot point).

I just find it weird how people are like, cheering on her failure and determined to run her into the ground for fun. Artpop was not really THAT bad, it was ok. Crazy bitch releases average album, news at 11. However it just makes it so much worse when she mouths off on social media about ~nobody loves my artistic vision why is everyone so mean~, seriously just shut the gently caress up, rebuild and make some fun music :|

Lord Krangdar
Oct 24, 2007

These are the secrets of death we teach.

pettifogged posted:

I just find it weird how people are like, cheering on her failure and determined to run her into the ground for fun. Artpop was not really THAT bad, it was ok. Crazy bitch releases average album, news at 11. However it just makes it so much worse when she mouths off on social media about ~nobody loves my artistic vision why is everyone so mean~, seriously just shut the gently caress up, rebuild and make some fun music :|

She didn't say that, though. She just finds it weird how people are like, cheering on her failure and determined to run her into the ground for fun.

And like she questioned the role of critics, which I can't blame her for doing since all the professional critic reviews I saw of ARTPOP were shamefully badly written.

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax

Wandle Cax posted:

Well it did actually sell a few more after week 2 but it's been disappointing sales wise. Maybe with a video for DWUW and a successful next single it can sell some more.

Not going with Manicure for her 2nd single was a huge missed opportunity.

texting my ex
Nov 15, 2008

I am no one
I cannot squat
It's in my blood

Irish Joe posted:

Not going with Manicure for her 2nd single was a huge missed opportunity.

Do what you want is the best song on artpop :colbert:

(and Manicure is nothing special)

Proletarian Mango
May 21, 2011

I think Do What U Want is my least liked song, except for the Christina Aguilera version, that's pretty dope. Speaking of Dope, that song rules.

Platypus Farm
Jul 12, 2003

Francis is my name, and breeding is my game. All bow before the fertile smut-god!
I'd say anyone selling a million copies of a full album is doing pretty loving well these days. What they should be doing to calculate album sales is also counting enough buys of single tracks to make up the purchase price of the whole disc. I'm guessing you'd see much different numbers that way.

texting my ex
Nov 15, 2008

I am no one
I cannot squat
It's in my blood
Do what you want is so good I'm gonna scream my lungs out when I see it live. Just like all the other songs :v:

I'm just really glad that an actually good song gets to be the single. Born This Way and Fame Monster are great albums but they picked the worst loving possible singles. Except The edge of glory, but it came so late :ohdear:

Platypus Farm
Jul 12, 2003

Francis is my name, and breeding is my game. All bow before the fertile smut-god!

Skilleddk posted:

Do what you want is so good I'm gonna scream my lungs out when I see it live. Just like all the other songs :v:

I'm just really glad that an actually good song gets to be the single. Born This Way and Fame Monster are great albums but they picked the worst loving possible singles. Except The edge of glory, but it came so late :ohdear:

Wait are you seriously saying that Bad Romance was the worst song on Fame Monster?

texting my ex
Nov 15, 2008

I am no one
I cannot squat
It's in my blood
well they could have chosen Monster, So happy I could die or Dance in the dark. I just like those tracks a lot more

and no, not saying Bad romance is the worst. I think they could have chosen better singles

RetroHelix
Oct 24, 2004

No home should be without one.
None of those songs would have blown up the way Bad Romance did, though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax

Skilleddk posted:

(and Manicure is nothing special)

Manicure's a great anthem and the only song on the album that isn't pat Lady Gaga.

Skilleddk posted:

well they could have chosen Monster, So happy I could die or Dance in the dark. I just like those tracks a lot more

Teeth before Monster, but yeah, anything would have been better than Alejandro.

• Locked thread