Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
MoofOntario
Jan 10, 2007

To Maintain the System the Abusive Power is Sometimes Necessary
-Pappa Brittle

ACID POLICE posted:

If it gets returned I could send both at once ;) But keep watching tracking, all of the int'l N8's are going really reaaaaally slowly for whatever bullshit reason.

Is there tracking for the international N8 packages? I never got a tracking number...

and it still hasn't arrived yet. :( The usual BS of living on a small island

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wafflemoose
Apr 10, 2009

Agrias120 posted:

Anyone who didn't like Triple Triad is a cold, soulless human being. This is fact, not an opinion. :colbert:

Forgive me for sucking at card games.

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I'm not the one they'll try their luck with
Hit hard like brass knuckles
See your face through the turnbuckle dude
I got no love for you

Starhawk64 posted:

HAVING TO TAKE A TEST TO INCREASE THE AMOUNT OF MONEY YOU EARN?

I actually really loved this part. I loved the concept of being a group of students trained as elite soldiers, being sent out on learning missions and taking tests. I wish the game kept up with that concept.

As was said before in this thread, basically I want FF8 done more like Persona.

testtubebaby
Apr 7, 2008

Where we're going,
we won't need eyes to see.

Zaphod42 posted:

FF8 isn't that bad (neither is FFX, people love to poo poo on FF games for this or that)

Titus (and Yuna) are unbearable.

triplexpac posted:

This is funny because I want persona done like FF (or GTA... either works)

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

zenintrude posted:

Titus is unbearable.

Yup, that's it!

He's not that bad. Also first voiced FF character, give them a break.

Sentient Data
Aug 31, 2011

My molecule scrambler ray will disintegrate your armor with one blow!

Zaphod42 posted:

Yup, that's it!

He's not that bad. Also first voiced FF character, give them a break.

And if we had a better-voiced Tidus we would never have https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9cyx6nWdFas

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

El Estrago Bonito posted:

Dragon Quest 4, Crystalis.

You lose, try again.

I was catching up on a few pages of backlog, but I was about to post up Crystalis, Blades of Steel, Bionic Commando, Solomon's Key and...I don't think Lolo ever made it to consoles past the NES? What about Kickle Cubicle? Conquest of the Crystal Palace?

Also, FF8 chat from some pages back---FF8 literally killed my interest in playing Final Fantasy games ever again. I bought it on release, much like a lot of people did, because FF7 had me champing at the bit for 8. 7 was also the first FF game I got to play that was mine and not a borrowed half-hour at a friend's house. I didn't get that I was supposed to be drawing spells and summons from bosses at all, and I had basically no interest in grinding, so I played basically the entire game with the first three or four GFs you got and was only able to win fights because my boosting thumb was powerful.

ly sore.

Well, boss fights intimidated me, so I felt that Proper Gaming Logic was to stock up on spells beforehand and murderize the boss. I never tried drawing from them because that would be less DPR and gently caress not having DPR. That and not understanding even a single bit about that thing where you attach spells to stats, so...I want to say there was an automatic function that I picked every time? Anyway, this all led to me saving at the first save point inside Lunatic Pandora and then immediately going into the last (?) Fujin/Raijin fight, which I was massively underlevelled for. Can't go back to grind up, can't go forward to win the fight. An entire summer's worth of gaming (since I'd get yelled at by my mom if I played any serious length of time) gone down the tubes. Aside from beating FFT and 6 in college, failed attempts at FF5 and FFTA (the FFTA attempt literally lasted a mission and a half because judging is loving moronic especially when you get something like "no swords")...I haven't played a Final Fantasy game since. I certainly haven't been excited about the release of a new FF game since 8.

edit: also - get hosed, the card game was poo poo

testtubebaby
Apr 7, 2008

Where we're going,

Allen Wren posted:

edit: also - get hosed, the card game was poo poo

On the other hand, it's light-years better than Tetra Master.

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

zenintrude posted:

On the other hand, it's light-years better than Tetra Master.

Tetra what?

wafflemoose
Apr 10, 2009

Yeah FFX was my stopping point for the series. Mechanically there's nothing wrong with the game. In fact, I liked the Sphere Grid and the fact each character had a specific role in combat and that you could switch them in and out. Actually I kinda liked the game to be honest, but it got tiring fast.

But man, the plot was so stupid and Tidus made it even stupider. And then FFXI was an MMO so I was basically went "Screw this" and told the series to go gently caress itself.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

I think I'm the only person in the world who liked the Tidus laugh scene. It was a touching moment to help cheer up a woman who is literally marching to her own self inflicted death. Don't tell me you've never done anything dumb and embarrassing with your significant other or best friends.

It didn't help that Tidus had the personality of a wet sponge but I liked the grim "marching to your doom" theme of FF10.

testtubebaby
Apr 7, 2008

Where we're going,

Allen Wren posted:

Tetra what?

FFIX also had a card game grafted on.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

zenintrude posted:

FFIX also had a card game grafted on.

The joke is that it's nothing worth remembering. Strangely Square thought people wanted to spend a $1 a month to play the game online and it somehow lasted 7 years.

Say what you want about Triple Triad, it at least tied in thematically with the game and gave you rewards for playing.

AMISH FRIED PIES
Mar 6, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo
I don't even like JRPGs, have never beaten one, but FFIX was awesome and the Sphere Grid in FFX was a great idea.

Also, I had that same "saved at a place where I couldn't beat the boss right after, couldn't go back to grind" right at the end of Disc One of FFVII, so gently caress that game in it's low-poly spiky-haired rear end. :v:

Bing the Noize
Dec 21, 2008

by The Finn
FF7 might have had good music for the PS1 but its synths were still made of poop and the video still ran at a radical 16fps which wasn't acceptable then and isn't acceptable now.

I managed to deal with my PS1 hate enough to play 5 key Beatmania but nnnnnope

MoofOntario posted:

Is there tracking for the international N8 packages? I never got a tracking number...

and it still hasn't arrived yet. :( The usual BS of living on a small island

I'll re-email them out tonight so please watch your emails if you're an international man.

testtubebaby
Apr 7, 2008

Where we're going,

ACID POLICE posted:

FF7 might have had good music for the PS1 but its synths were still made of poop and the video still ran at a radical 16fps which wasn't acceptable then and isn't acceptable now.

My mind exploded when FRAPS informed me that FFVII's [PC] battles were running at a blazing 16fps... wooooooooo

Code Jockey
Jan 24, 2006

69420 basic bytes free

triplexpac posted:

In terms of replicating Persona 3, I would rather not insta-game-over if Squall dies in battle. :argh:

That's the only flaw I found with the game, otherwise any game being more like P3 would be good by me. P3 was so good. So good. I need to finish playing through The Answer at some point...

Speaking of Personas, I went out and bought a Vita last night, and for some reason I thought I already had P4 for free via PSN+ but apparently not. Oh well, gonna buy that soon, I can't wait to play it.

featurecreep
Jul 23, 2002

Yes, Robinson, take the Major, the Robot, your wife and kids... but leave Will for my plea-- his education.

Zaphod42 posted:

Whaaaaaaaat. :psyboom:

I mean if you hate the sound of PS's synths then you're going to hate everything on that console.

But seriously FF7 is like the greatest PS1 soundtrack there is. I don't know how you can even say those words, unless you're trolling, but you seem genuine, so I'm just lost. I can't think of anything else on PSX remotely as good.

While I won't say that FF7's soundtrack is loving terrible or whatever the other guy said, but I don't think it's really that great. Suikoden II, Xenogears, Symphony of the Night, Chrono Cross... hell, even Grandia had great-sounding soundtracks that, for me, were far more memorable and sounded better.

Your "if you hate the sound of PS's synths then you're going to hate everything on that console" is just a totally wrong statement anyways. The synthesized audio, just like the SNES, was sample-based, so some games (like FF7) used shittier samples while others (for example FF8) use better samples. Additionally, plenty of games used XA (recorded audio with loop points, I believe) or CD audio, so that's also a possibility.

Don't get me wrong, I don't mind FF7 or its soundtrack, but it's definitely not in my top 5 (or probably even top 10) on the PS1.

EDIT:

Allen Wren posted:

Also, FF8 chat from some pages back---FF8 literally killed my interest in playing Final Fantasy games ever again.

I love how everyone's opinion of Final Fantasy games is different. FF9 is like that for me, though it didn't stop me, just pissed me off. I enjoyed FF8 despite all its problems. Like a lot of people pointed out, there are some things it did very well. It did a lot poorly, though, thanks to them wanting to actually do something different than what they had just accomplished with FF7.

Well, FF8 must've slumped in sales or something, because Final Fantasy IX is the most boring mess in the series. It's like they backtracked on everything different that FF8 did and instead designed the most safe, traditional-feeling Final Fantasy game they possibly could. The plot was safe and bland, the gameplay was pre-FF8 safe (also bland), and the cast of characters was, for lack of a better word, just silly. Oh, but there's a traditional-looking black mage and a guy named Garland and so everyone should love it because NOSTALGIA!

I can at least comprehend why people would absolutely adore FF7. I understand why people hate FF8 and like it in spite of that. FF9, though? What. The. gently caress. It's basically the "Tecmo's Secret of the Stars" of the Final Fantasy series.

featurecreep fucked around with this message at 21:19 on Jan 16, 2014

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Starhawk64 posted:

Yeah FFX was my stopping point for the series. Mechanically there's nothing wrong with the game. In fact, I liked the Sphere Grid and the fact each character had a specific role in combat and that you could switch them in and out. Actually I kinda liked the game to be honest, but it got tiring fast.

The sphere grid was a nice way to handle character growth and let characters expand into each other's areas without turning them all into generalists (at least at first). The real mechanical issue with FF10 was that the combat was completely and obviously broken. I think it took me half an hour to realize how to game the system for max growth and after that the game became both simplistic and boring.

It really didn't help that it was completely lacking in exploration. FF10 is one of those quintessential bad games that got a better reception than it deserved thanks to marketing. At this point I think the only remaining fans are those who gush about its story and those people should be shunned as much as possible.

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

Allen Wren posted:

Also, FF8 chat from some pages back---FF8 literally killed my interest in playing Final Fantasy games ever again.

You and me both. FF8 is one of only two games I've ever played where I straight-up was angry for even playing it. I played the whole thing hoping that something would happen to make the time I already sunk into it worth it, but the game manages to get worse as it goes on instead, culminating with a disc 4 that basically says 'yeah we pretty much gave up at this point'. I finished the piece of poo poo and felt like I'd completely wasted my time, and I stopped bothering with not only Final Fantasy games, but JRPG's as a whole until Persona 4. gently caress FF8 in every single way.

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I'm not the one they'll try their luck with
Hit hard like brass knuckles
See your face through the turnbuckle dude
I got no love for you

Random Stranger posted:

It really didn't help that it was completely lacking in exploration. FF10 is one of those quintessential bad games that got a better reception than it deserved thanks to marketing. At this point I think the only remaining fans are those who gush about its story and those people should be shunned as much as possible.

Yeah FF10 was a weird one for me. Playing it at first, I hated the linear feeling you got from it. I really missed having a world map at least giving you the illusion that you can explore more.

As I got deeper into it I didn't mind the game so much though. But yeah, I wonder why they decided to take that direction rather than just making a game like FF7/8 but with better graphics. Did they get a new creative lead or something?

Now that I think of it, FF10 reminds me of FF13, in that you're shuffled from point to point, corridor by corridor, watching cutscenes.

Xik
Mar 10, 2011

Dinosaur Gum

Agrias120 posted:

Anyone who didn't like Triple Triad is a cold, soulless human being. This is fact, not an opinion. :colbert:

I loved the card game but the rule spread mechanic was bullshit. I remember when I was a kid and I had completely hosed the rule spread thing to the point where everywhere had a bunch of rules I didn't like (effectively destroying any fun to be had). My mate was careful and "gamed" it so the "good" rules spread everywhere and was able to have fun with it the entire play-through, I was so mad/jealous.

featurecreep
Jul 23, 2002

Yes, Robinson, take the Major, the Robot, your wife and kids... but leave Will for my plea-- his education.

triplexpac posted:

Yeah FF10 was a weird one for me. Playing it at first, I hated the linear feeling you got from it. I really missed having a world map at least giving you the illusion that you can explore more.

As I got deeper into it I didn't mind the game so much though. But yeah, I wonder why they decided to take that direction rather than just making a game like FF7/8 but with better graphics. Did they get a new creative lead or something?

Now that I think of it, FF10 reminds me of FF13, in that you're shuffled from point to point, corridor by corridor, watching cutscenes.

I dunno, I mostly enjoyed FF10, I think the two big icky spots are the whole laughing scene and the song Otherworld. Other than that, it wasn't bad. The story wasn't spectacular but if you ignore the direct sequel or the post-credit scenes the ending is satisfying in a melancholy way.

Also, sure it was sorta proto-FF13, but definitely had a ton more user choice involved.

Agrias120
Jun 27, 2002

I will burn my dread.

Xik posted:

I loved the card game but the rule spread mechanic was bullshit. I remember when I was a kid and I had completely hosed the rule spread thing to the point where everywhere had a bunch of rules I didn't like (effectively destroying any fun to be had). My mate was careful and "gamed" it so the "good" rules spread everywhere and was able to have fun with it the entire play-through, I was so mad/jealous.

I remember wanting to collect as many "cool" cards as I could and losing my Rinoa card in a random match. I was young and foolish and hadn't saved in a long time, so I spent the next several hours playing the same person over and over again to get it back.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Starhawk64 posted:

But man, the plot was so stupid and Tidus made it even stupider. And then FFXI was an MMO so I was basically went "Screw this" and told the series to go gently caress itself.

Oh whatever, FFX had an awesome plot with a pretty great mindfuck twist. Get over your hatred of Tidus.

shymog posted:

While I won't say that FF7's soundtrack is loving terrible or whatever the other guy said, but I don't think it's really that great. Suikoden II, Xenogears, Symphony of the Night, Chrono Cross... hell, even Grandia had great-sounding soundtracks that, for me, were far more memorable and sounded better.

Your "if you hate the sound of PS's synths then you're going to hate everything on that console" is just a totally wrong statement anyways. The synthesized audio, just like the SNES, was sample-based, so some games (like FF7) used shittier samples while others (for example FF8) use better samples. Additionally, plenty of games used XA (recorded audio with loop points, I believe) or CD audio, so that's also a possibility.

Don't get me wrong, I don't mind FF7 or its soundtrack, but it's definitely not in my top 5 (or probably even top 10) on the PS1.

EDIT:

I love how everyone's opinion of Final Fantasy games is different. FF9 is like that for me, though it didn't stop me, just pissed me off. I enjoyed FF8 despite all its problems. Like a lot of people pointed out, there are some things it did very well. It did a lot poorly, though, thanks to them wanting to actually do something different than what they had just accomplished with FF7.

Well, FF8 must've slumped in sales or something, because Final Fantasy IX is the most boring mess in the series. It's like they backtracked on everything different that FF8 did and instead designed the most safe, traditional-feeling Final Fantasy game they possibly could. The plot was safe and bland, the gameplay was pre-FF8 safe (also bland), and the cast of characters was, for lack of a better word, just silly. Oh, but there's a traditional-looking black mage and a guy named Garland and so everyone should love it because NOSTALGIA!

I can at least comprehend why people would absolutely adore FF7. I understand why people hate FF8 and like it in spite of that. FF9, though? What. The. gently caress. It's basically the "Tecmo's Secret of the Stars" of the Final Fantasy series.

Okay, SOTN and Chrono Cross were pretty drat good. I wouldn't say Chrono Cross was any better than FF7 though.

You're right about sampled audio though, I forgot about that since the PC ports just used MIDI. I... never had a PS1.

I'm actually on the same page for FF9, its probably my least favorite of the series (actually FFXIII wins that now) I don't really get why people like it either. The best argument I've heard is "it reminds me of the old FFs on NES" but I don't even really get that from it.

I love FF1, but 9 doesn't appeal at all.

triplexpac posted:

I'm pretty sure its all technical reasons. FF10 remember was the first one where they went from prerendered backgrounds to fully 3d backgrounds; that required a whole switch in technology. The new engine probably handled linear areas better, or it was much easier to model linear areas in their tools.

Also FF10 was the first voice acted one, so they may have made it more linear since they didn't want to have too many characters that spoke text instead of voice.

Also they were just coming off the financial bomb that was Spirits Within (:shobon: I actually think its not that bad) so they were probably hurting for money and just couldn't afford to make a game of the same scope, linear made it easier.

Combining the financial hurt of Spirits Within with the added challenge of 3D makes linear levels pretty sensible.

Zaphod42 fucked around with this message at 23:27 on Jan 16, 2014

Quiet Feet
Dec 14, 2009

THE HELL IS WITH THIS ASS!?

Zaphod42 posted:

Whaaaaaaaat. :psyboom:

I mean if you hate the sound of PS's synths then you're going to hate everything on that console.

But seriously FF7 is like the greatest PS1 soundtrack there is. I don't know how you can even say those words, unless you're trolling, but you seem genuine, so I'm just lost. I can't think of anything else on PSX remotely as good.

Not trolling. I just don't get how anyone can like it. The whole soundtrack has this quality like it was done on an old Casio. There's only one song I actually liked.

Glad to hear I'm not alone in disliking FF8, which is also what killed my interest in the series. Different strokes and all but the only thing I enjoyed about it was the card game.

Bing the Noize
Dec 21, 2008

by The Finn
Anyone who was waiting for a Free McBoot card, go see what's up in SA Mart in a few minutes. After Turbo ED's get here and get mailed out and EDGB is done I'll do SNES groupbuy and that'll be the last of 'em for a while

d0s
Jun 28, 2004

Quiet Feet posted:

Every find yourself thinking a lot about a game you only played briefly years ago, and not knowing why? I've been kicking around Kickmaster the past couple of nights and now I understand why I've always had a nagging urge to pick it up again, long after I'd forgotten most of the details of it. It has to be one of the prettiest games on the NES, is challenging without ever feeling unfair, and there are boss fights all over the drat place and then goddamn kraken out of nowhere!

Sadly it suffered the fate of a lot of late-era NES games.

I stumbled on a ScrewAttack review of it that calls it mediocre because
1: The story in the manual doesn't completely match up with the story in the intro.
2: The knee drop is too powerful. :jerkbag:
3: Too many bosses. :what:

:respek:

It really sucks how KID made some of the most amazing NES/Famicom games (they made Recca among other things) and then went on to develop... nothing but visual novels and dating sims. Imagine the sort of action games they could have made on the SNES or PCE.

EDIT: I know they made a few early Genesis action games but those are awful and it makes me wonder if they weren't made by some kind of internal Genesis B-team, this hidden intro in Recca seems to suggest that:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BrQn-O_zFRc

d0s fucked around with this message at 01:29 on Jan 17, 2014

Quiet Feet
Dec 14, 2009

d0s posted:

It really sucks how KID made some of the most amazing NES/Famicom games (they made Recca among other things) and then went on to develop... nothing but visual novels and dating sims. Imagine the sort of action games they could have made on the SNES or PCE.

EDIT: I know they made a few early Genesis action games but those are awful and it makes me wonder if they weren't made by some kind of internal Genesis B-team, this hidden intro in Recca seems to suggest that:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BrQn-O_zFRc

I'd heard of Recca but never looked it up until you posted that. Holy poo poo, that's gotta be making use of the expansion audio right? That entire game looks and sounds absolutely incredible. I looked up a Youtube long play of it to get a better idea of what it was like and ended up watching the entire thing. :suspense:

d0s
Jun 28, 2004

Quiet Feet posted:

that's gotta be making use of the expansion audio right?

It doesn't use any special chips at all, being that much cooler for it

gay skull
Oct 24, 2004

luigionlsd posted:

The only major retro wants at the moment:
- Thunder Force II and III (Genesis, CIB)
- Demon's Crest (SNES, cart only - would pay extra cash towards this)
- Mega Man X7, X8 (PS2, CIB)

Megaman X7 is fecal. You don't want it. You sat on the toilet earlier and your body pushed out something that can be mistaken for a copy of MMX7 by the untrained eye.

luigionlsd posted:

Metroid -> Super Metroid
Super Mario Bros / 3 -> Super Mario World (or Super Mario All-Stars)
The Legend of Zelda -> The Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past
Kirby's Adventure -> Kirby Super Star remake
Castlevania -> Castlevania: Symphony of the Night, Castlevania: Bloodlines
Contra -> Contra III or Contra: Hard Corps
Final Fantasy/Dragon Quest -> any 16-bit JRPG

In none of those cases would I rather spend time playing the original game than the sequel/remake/whatever

Technically you could argue that SNES is out of date in the same way because of the GBA. Super Metroid -> Metroid Fusion, Earthbound -> Mother 3, Castlevania: SOTN -> Aria of Sorrow, etc. Except all of these in both of our posts are completely different games, so... I don't really see your point. If you don't like the feel of the NES, that's a much more reasonable argument.

Basically my point is that the GBA is loving awesome

ullerrm
Dec 31, 2012

Oh, the network slogan is true -- "watch FOX and be damned for all eternity!"

Quiet Feet posted:

I'd heard of Recca but never looked it up until you posted that. Holy poo poo, that's gotta be making use of the expansion audio right? That entire game looks and sounds absolutely incredible. I looked up a Youtube long play of it to get a better idea of what it was like and ended up watching the entire thing. :suspense:

Actually, Recca doesn't use expansion audio. It only uses an MMC3 mapper. But yes, it's fantastically programmed.

testtubebaby
Apr 7, 2008

Where we're going,

Zaphod42 posted:

Okay, SOTN and Chrono Cross were pretty drat good. I wouldn't say Chrono Cross was any better than FF7 though.

Agreed, although Chrono Cross has the singular best song Square has ever produced

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aBE3c9X0BoA

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

d0s posted:

It really sucks how KID made some of the most amazing NES/Famicom games (they made Recca among other things) and then went on to develop... nothing but visual novels and dating sims.

Hey.. I like the Infinity series. Without them we wouldn't have 999 or Virtue's Last Reward. Their dating Sim stuff I have no excuse for.

gay skull
Oct 24, 2004

zenintrude posted:

Agreed, although Chrono Cross has the singular best song Square has ever produced

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aBE3c9X0BoA

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zMEb6XXXi08

mine has "XXX" in Youtube's given title :smug:

But yeah, Chrono Cross' OST is absolutely amazing, especially so for a video game. Chrono Cross' OST being amongst other games' soundtracks is like Frederic Chopin joining a forum for dubstep anime music remixes.

d0s
Jun 28, 2004

ullerrm posted:

It only uses an MMC3 mapper.

Oh drat, I hadn't known this until just now, it makes sense though.

EDIT:

kirbysuperstar posted:

Hey.. I like the Infinity series. Without them we wouldn't have 999 or Virtue's Last Reward. Their dating Sim stuff I have no excuse for.

I keep meaning to play those games actually, I know they're really well regarded but I wish that type of thing hadn't become their sole purpose because imagine something like Recca but at the end of the SNES's life!

d0s fucked around with this message at 03:00 on Jan 17, 2014

flyboi
Oct 13, 2005

agg stop posting
College Slice
The whole universe for the games is outstanding. Ever 17 is pretty :stare: at parts but the whole universe tie-in that will come with the sequel to VLR is faptastic and I can't wait

Vanagoon
Jan 20, 2008

Best Dead Gay Forums
on the whole Internet!
I got an unexpected score today. In return for giving a neighbor a ride a few times he gave me a copy of Silent Hill 2 and Baldur's Gate Dark Alliance.

Man's not interested in video games. At All. Oh well, his loss.

Quiet Feet
Dec 14, 2009

d0s posted:

It doesn't use any special chips at all, being that much cooler for it

That is nuts. Listening to the soundtrack on Youtube and :sbahj:. I'm not much of a shmups guy but I'm hitting up Lostclassics for a repro of this as soon as I have the budget for it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

d0s
Jun 28, 2004

Quiet Feet posted:

That is nuts. Listening to the soundtrack on Youtube and :sbahj:. I'm not much of a shmups guy but I'm hitting up Lostclassics for a repro of this as soon as I have the budget for it.

I was wrong though, it does use the MMC3 which is a really common mapper used in many NES games.

EDIT:

Most of this thread probably knows about it but Crisis Force is a similarly impressive Fami shooter by Konami:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3cl2yizTrgQ

d0s fucked around with this message at 04:12 on Jan 17, 2014

• Locked thread