Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009

Zaphod42 posted:

DS CT rules because they moved everything to the bottom of the screen except the sprites which take up the full top, and they didn't change ANYTHING else. Its perfect.

The playstation version with Akira Toryiama anime scenes was cool too though.

The DS version has those if memory serves.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

Zaphod42 posted:

Its an MMO though, so... that's enough reason not to. But if that's your thing, its awesome.

Nah, assuming that it doesn't have nausiatingly long rep grinds that are nigh-mandatory for raiding like Rift:SL (and ostensibly WoW:MoP, but I quit WoW circa early Cataclysm) did, I'm definitely down for a good MMO.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Renoistic posted:

I enjoyed the animated cutscenes in the PSX version of Chrono Trigger as well. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CkWK-NEtmHk

I would watch a whole Chrono Ball Z show.

Kyrosiris posted:

Nah, assuming that it doesn't have nausiatingly long rep grinds that are nigh-mandatory for raiding like Rift:SL (and ostensibly WoW:MoP, but I quit WoW circa early Cataclysm) did, I'm definitely down for a good MMO.

Its the most casual and approachable and good times MMO I've ever played, honestly.

It does slow down a bit towards max level though.

Best translation of any FF ever, holy poo poo. Inside jokes and western culture everywhere.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

Renoistic posted:

I enjoyed the animated cutscenes in the PSX version of Chrono Trigger as well. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CkWK-NEtmHk

I'm pretty sure they're also in the DS version.

Chrono Trigger is another game I played first on the PlayStation. I never noticed the loading times back then, probably because I was a kid who had all the time in the world to play games. Now that I'm an adult and have no time, I find them terrible and annoying.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

Zaphod42 posted:

Its the most casual and approachable and good times MMO I've ever played, honestly.

It does slow down a bit towards max level though.

Best translation of any FF ever, holy poo poo. Inside jokes and western culture everywhere.

Now I just need to get over not being able to have Carbuncles at end-game. :v:

Renoistic
Jul 27, 2007

Everyone has a
guardian angel.

ConanThe3rd posted:

The DS version has those if memory serves.

poo poo, you're right. I even own the DS version. Oh well.

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009

Renoistic posted:

poo poo, you're right. I even own the DS version. Oh well.

Though you can turn it off which is nice. (Can't quite say the same for that stupid EX Dungeon and it's making Chrono Cross exist but baby steps, I suppose)

animatorZed
Jan 2, 2008
falling down

Veib posted:

Oh wow, I did not remember those things even existing, and I've finished all of the PSX Anthology ports (after I'd finished them all on an emulator, I never had the Snes versions). That's pretty cool, actually.

I hate to put down the PSX Anthology version of FFVI because of the extra lag when doing certain attacks. Eg: Sabin's aura bolt would pause the game for a moment every single time. I'd already played the snes version to death, so I'm not sure why I wanted to play the PSX one. Probably had the anthology for FFV, which I don't think I even finished all the way.

Midee
Jun 22, 2000

general chaos posted:

Did people make these pixel complaints when the GBA port of FF6 was released? All I can remember is problems regarding the sound issues. Those were patched by hackers or something right?
On such a tiny screen? Probably not.

jesus christ they have a shader for everything :stare:

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.
I'm glad I bought Remote Files on iOS since I can play a non-hosed version of the game at least. And not have to buy a 3rd 4th copy in the process.

Zaphod42 posted:

HOLY poo poo, Is square using loving RPG maker now? Like, what the gently caress. That is so loving ugly. :barf:

Pretty sure RPG Maker comes with entire tile/sprite sets at this point, so you'd have to actually try to make an RPG Maker game look worse since the default stuff would be artistically consistent.

Endorph posted:

My friend's played their mobile games and apparently some of them are at least competent, if not fairly generic

I downloaded Alphadia for $0.99 and the review where someone said you can auto-battle through the entire game, including bosses, was not exaggerating. That'd be ok if it had an interesting story, but it doesn't. FFD's writing was still worse though so a small victory for Kemco's low-grade JRPG machine.

Overbite posted:

No one mentioned the King of indesipherable spell names, Phantasy Star. Here's a fun game, try to guess what these spells do!

Res
Tsu
Hinas
Ryuka
Rimpa
Rimit
Arows

The game never says, you gotta look them up in the manual.

I mentioned Phantasy Star on page 544. :colbert:

I think Res is a heal spell and Tsu is a single target attack? Arows sounds like it might be one of Rune's spells from PS4? I rarely ever used more than a few techs in those games because I couldn't be bothered to try and remember what the gently caress they meant. It's like an (even more) illiterate version of Bard's Tale or something.

Shaezerus posted:

It's great that you decided to choose the most reasonable gun-weapon of the Tribunes as the example.

Of the other two, one has a gun-hammer (which looks more like a wrench with a jet engine bolted to it), and the other dual-wields missile-launcher gunshields. Garlemald is crazy as hell.

Stop it, I don't want to start up an account on a P2P MMO and you are not helping.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Kyrosiris posted:

Now I just need to get over not being able to have Carbuncles at end-game. :v:

Eh, as long as you're not raiding you can. A huge part of FFXIV is just running around the overworld doing FATEs, (huge ad-hoc group events) so you can totally have Carbuncle around for those! :) You could kill Odin with carbuncle.

You don't HAVE to have a job, by the way. You're free to drop Scholar or Summoner and go back to being a Conjurer at max leve, and you'll still be max level. Then you can pop on Summoner when you want Ifrit back. Your level is tied to your class, and jobs are just equipment that gives you a set of buffs and removes some freedom that you can take off at any time.

So yeah, other than raiding that's not true. I guess "endgame" means raiding, though?

Even for raiding actually you coooould, but it would probably be bad and you'd get yelled at. But maybe not? Who knows, play with goons, we'll find a way. :thumbsup:

Midee posted:

jesus christ they have a shader for everything :stare:

I would rather play that then the iOS version :smith:

Zaphod42 fucked around with this message at 23:34 on Jan 16, 2014

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Evil Fluffy posted:

I downloaded Alphadia for $0.99 and the review where someone said you can auto-battle through the entire game, including bosses, was not exaggerating.
To be fair, you can say the same thing about half the Final Fantasy games. Just mash X.

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.
Leo's expression matches my own.

These backgrounds clash horrendously with the sprites. Even the FFV port didn't look this bad, did it? I know it didn't look too great...

Pesky Splinter fucked around with this message at 00:03 on Jan 17, 2014

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Endorph posted:

To be fair, you can say the same thing about half the Final Fantasy games. Just mash X.

Without grinding at all? Let me know how that works out for you.

FF games might not have much difficulty at times but that game has absolutely none whatsoever.

Scrap Dragon
Oct 6, 2013

SECRET TECHNIQUE:
DARK SHADOW
BLACK FALLEN ANGEL!

I found what may be the only improvement made by the iOS version:

You can control other characters while Cyan charges Bushido. :ssh: Still not worth it.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Evil Fluffy posted:

FF games might not have much difficulty at times but that game has absolutely none whatsoever.

I'm pretty sure I could finish FF6 without grinding and mashing X as long as I'm allowed to use the Memory option.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Evil Fluffy posted:

Auto-Potion and Auto-Phoenix in FF10.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Endorph posted:

Auto-Potion and Auto-Phoenix in FF10.

I think you might very well wipe on Seymour 1 but you can still beat Yunalesca doing this it just takes a little set up.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Also it'd be pretty trivial to do in FF8 with Junctioning. You just need to get ahead of the curve and grinding would actually make it harder, not easier.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

FF8 has a final dungeon boss where you literally can only attack to win so I don't know if we can consider it a big victory for the attack only gameplay.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Zaphod42 posted:

The logical next step is gun-guns.

actually that would probably fit in FF just fine...

Resonance of Fate?

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story

ConanThe3rd posted:

Though you can turn it off which is nice. (Can't quite say the same for that stupid EX Dungeon and it's making Chrono Cross exist but baby steps, I suppose)

Hey at least Square succeeded in explaining the plot hole of how a town where you made the mayor friendly so you could get the Sun Stone from him turned into a military superpower by the time of Cross.

Now if only they'd explained how Crono and party were killed.

Krad
Feb 4, 2008

Touche

Scrap Dragon posted:

I can't get over how they replaced the ATB bar with the character windows gradually coming out of hiding, as if even they were ashamed of being part of this monstrosity.

Shaezerus
Mar 24, 2008

God? Or perhaps a devil?
Show me which you'll choose!

Krad posted:

I can't get over how they replaced the ATB bar with the character windows gradually coming out of hiding, as if even they were ashamed of being part of this monstrosity.

I can get over everything in the port but this. Like, just-- why?? It makes the menus more annoying to deal with as well because you only have the two options available at any given time and have a super restricted scrolling area.

SMERSH Mouth
Jun 25, 2005

Scrap Dragon posted:

You can control other characters while Cyan charges Bushido. :ssh: Still not worth it.

I actually kinda like that battle background. Unlike absolutely every other visual element in the game.

The style seems to fit FFV better because the original graphics were brighter and simpler than VI, but SE basically replicated the look wholesale for this remake, and it looks worse than ever in comparison to the original. I know the character sprites have already gotten a lot of (well-deserved) hate in this thread, so I just want to point out that the interface looks like it was inspired by a Hong Kong VCD player's menu software. FFVI was a game that pushed the capabilities of its original platform to the limit, and this port looks like it was designed by North Koreans to run on Windows Mobile 5.

But it's not like they even needed to make a technically impressive game here. They just needed to produce art assets that didn't look like poo poo, or just reuse the originals. There's no excuse for how bad this looks. They could have found people that would have done a better job for free; I mean, look at Barkley: Shut Up and Jam: Gaiden. That was literally a more visually appealing game, and it was made to look bad intentionally, as a joke.

I'm not appalled, exactly, by this little poo poo of a turd, because I don't think anyone is dense enough to expect decent non-flagship effort out of the company that gave us FFVII PC 2013 and ...this but it cements in my mind that SE's corporate structure and approach to development is broken.

ZVeronikas
May 19, 2013
My favorite games from my childhood are easily FF6 and A Link to the Past. Nintendo gave us LBW, and Square gives us...this? It's funny how one company can get it so right and another company basically craps in your mouth and overcharges you for it.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

ImpAtom posted:

I'm pretty sure I could finish FF6 without grinding and mashing X as long as I'm allowed to use the Memory option.

Setting cursor to memory and cleaning house with a character like Edgar is cheating. :colbert:

All the examples trying to show FF is just as easy are forgetting that it involves a bunch of setup and knowing exactly what to do (ie: junctioning). The game I'm talking about was "turn on autobattle, walk through game, maybe buy some new gear here and there."

ZVeronikas posted:

My favorite games from my childhood are easily FF6 and A Link to the Past. Nintendo gave us LBW, and Square gives us...this? It's funny how one company can get it so right and another company basically craps in your mouth and overcharges you for it.

I've only put an hour or two in to it so far and my god it's on the opposite end of the spectrum from stuff like The After Years. ALBW is just so good.

e: That card game looks like every other generic Rage of Bahamut/Dark Summoner/etc CCG on iOS and Android.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

Evil Fluffy posted:

Setting cursor to memory and cleaning house with a character like Edgar is cheating. :colbert:

All the examples trying to show FF is just as easy are forgetting that it involves a bunch of setup and knowing exactly what to do (ie: junctioning). The game I'm talking about was "turn on autobattle, walk through game, maybe buy some new gear here and there."

I dunno, the fact that glitches like FF6's Magic Evasion bug and FF7's Magic Defense not existing (or something like that, not quite sure how it works) that would be pretty serious in, say, Dragon Quest are barely noticed kinda goes to show how easy the games are.

QuantaStarFire
May 18, 2006

Grimey Drawer

I.W.W. ATTITUDE posted:

[...] it cements in my mind that SE's corporate structure and approach to development is broken.

We're entering Year 8 of Versus XIII's/XV's development, and we still have no idea when we'll see it. Broken is a severe understatement at this point.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe

kirbysuperstar posted:

Resonance of Fate?

If only it actually showed up like that ingame.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Mokinokaro posted:

If only it actually showed up like that ingame.

Yeah, I really wish that was the case.. Hero Running with a ridiculous pistol with eight scopes, a laser sight, drum and six stocks would be amazing.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Barudak posted:

I think you might very well wipe on Seymour 1 but you can still beat Yunalesca doing this it just takes a little set up.

Eh, if you take the time to set up overdrives for all your characters and take full advantage of your aeons, it ain't too tough.

Oh, you said no grinding, I guess setting up overdrives counts as grinding...

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Zaphod42 posted:

Eh, if you take the time to set up overdrives for all your characters and take full advantage of your aeons, it ain't too tough.

Oh, you said no grinding, I guess setting up overdrives counts as grinding...

I think people were counting overdrives as not a standard attack. I.e., can you beat the game if everyones turn is spent only using the attack command.

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I'm not the one they'll try their luck with
Hit hard like brass knuckles
See your face through the turnbuckle dude
I got no love for you

Paper Jam Dipper posted:

I don't know what Square Enix's obsession is with getting rid of the old text bubbles in place of really ugly ones that look like Windows 98.

I think it has something to do with them using "stock" stuff that is built into iOS/Android. So they don't use bitmap fonts, they're just using system fonts to make it easier on them.

Just a guess, anyway. I seem to remember this coming out when Chrono Trigger was released on iOS, we had the same discussion then.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
Speaking of mashing A/X to win the game, I still need to go back and finish my FF4 Auto-Battle Berserker run. Made it to the cave with the Demon Wall in it, and then haven't played for months.

Black August
Sep 28, 2003

Mega64 posted:

Speaking of mashing A/X to win the game, I still need to go back and finish my FF4 Auto-Battle Berserker run. Made it to the cave with the Demon Wall in it, and then haven't played for months.

Is this with 1 player, or all 5? Because I recall a similar deal with the cave being a killer, and demanding a level up to something stupid like 60+

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Ok FFVIII. You get special points in the "thats so stupid I'm smiling" column with a spell that forces enemies to ascend into heaven to kill them called Rapture.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Barudak posted:

Ok FFVIII. You get special points in the "thats so stupid I'm smiling" column with a spell that forces enemies to ascend into heaven to kill them called Rapture.

Too bad it's about as common as getting The End.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

My favorite crazy/stupid/awesome thing about FFVIII is this:

"A member of Galbadia Garden's demi-human ice-hockey club. Attacks with speed and team work."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

morallyobjected
Nov 3, 2012

The White Dragon posted:

Too bad it's about as common as getting The End.

I've gotten The End once, on some random poo poo head enemy on Balamb, and only because I specifically made a point of cycling through Selphie's limit with worthless enemies so I could just do it until it popped up without worrying about dying or anything.

Rapture, however, I've gotten much more often.