Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

SplitSoul posted:

Any tips on getting past that awful first sniper rifle? I can't hit poo poo. I used to do pretty well with the M40 in BC2.

Apart from what everyone else has suggested, you might want to try a op locker only server. Just find where the chokepoint is and snipe people from that position. I found that much easier than actual sniping.

Also use your highest exp booster and ideally it will be during a double exp event.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Target Practice
Aug 20, 2004

Shit.

SplitSoul posted:

That would require unlocking the range finder. I have six kills and an accuracy of 6.28% with the CS-LR4. :lol:

Use your PLD to range an area, duder. You don't have to range and rezero each shot. Set up where there are guys, range with PLD, dial in approximate range to your scope, then compensate for the difference.

Say you're sitting 350 meters away from where a group of guys is going to be fighting. You can either zero for 300 and aim the teensiest bit high, or 400 and aim the teensiest bit low.

Merica
Jan 28, 2009

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

Apart from what everyone else has suggested, you might want to try a op locker only server. Just find where the chokepoint is and snipe people from that position. I found that much easier than actual sniping.

Also use your highest exp booster and ideally it will be during a double exp event.

Pretend you are playing bf1942 and you have an M1 and run around at close range.

Erata
May 11, 2009
Lipstick Apathy
I like the zeroing mechanic but I think it's ridiculously distracting. I can see where the rangefinder would be valuable though, but again, not necessary. I'm sure everyone's used to taking a test shot, staying scoped to see where it lands on your crosshair and memorizing where on your crosshair the bullet landed. K'pow, you just zeroed your rifle.

I suppose you could memorize the bullet drop with your rangefinder so that you don't have to take a test shot. You just say to yourself "The bullet lands about here at 650 meters" and get those sicknasty lob shots out or whatever.

edit: I guess zeroing it would make it easier to hit moving targets though?

Erata fucked around with this message at 17:45 on Jan 17, 2014

Lazlow
Nov 30, 2004

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

Do this, but on a HC server where you'll have one-hit kills, it'll go really quickly. I did this and unlocked all the sniper rifles in just a few quick hours of play. Probably averaged about a rifle a round (on a 1000 ticket server, or more).

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Honestly, when I was doing the Recon Gold assignment (to unlock a gun I never planned to use :shepface:), I learned pretty fast that being a useless roof/hill wookie is the best way to go about it for me and I didn't want to play on Hardcore servers. I was terrible at using a 3.4x or 4x scope in mid-range fights and died far more often than I was killing so I started going to Shanghai, Dawnbreaker, and Lancang servers and just finding a nice roof or building to settle down in with a beacon and PLD or a TUGS if I had the range finder on the rifle. This method also has the advantage of letting you learn the distances to areas from a single point so you can really learn just how much compensation you need. I never could land Sick Headshots on moving targets but I could reliably hit people up to 400 meters away with the M40 and even further when I was in the tailend of the assignment using the SRR thanks to its magic bullets.

Camping on roofs with no elevators on Shanghai after the C skyscraper comes down was especially lucrative (relative to the assignment that is, I was never even close to top ten scorers) since now there's no one above you except helicopters and collapsed C points has very little cover from above.

DStecks
Feb 6, 2012

I've always been skeptical that the amount of effort put into stopping hacking is worthwhile. I can count on one hand the number of times that I have absolutely, without a doubt, encountered a hacker in a multiplayer game. Punkbuster is the equivalent of installing security checkpoints in everybody's homes to catch murderers: you're going to inconvenience a lot of innocent people, and the ones who really want to do it will find a way to circumvent you.

See also: DRM.

Bohemian Nights
Jul 14, 2006

When I wake up,
I look into the mirror
I can see a clearer, vision
I should start living today
Clapping Larry
So, SOFLAM-bug chat. I just checked, and it also works in the stealth jet if you equip the laser guided missiles, even from the bombing camera. Remember the good times in BF2, when a jet with bombs could kill a tank in a single pass? Well, they're not quite back, but you can at least get a disable on a tank and instagib on the IFVs.

Well, except for the fact that your locked-on missiles are apparently stopped by both active protection and smoke, but still.

a dingus
Mar 22, 2008

Rhetorical questions only
Fun Shoe

DStecks posted:

I've always been skeptical that the amount of effort put into stopping hacking is worthwhile. I can count on one hand the number of times that I have absolutely, without a doubt, encountered a hacker in a multiplayer game. Punkbuster is the equivalent of installing security checkpoints in everybody's homes to catch murderers: you're going to inconvenience a lot of innocent people, and the ones who really want to do it will find a way to circumvent you.

I feel the same way. But then there are people who fly off the handle when they're killed and accuse X game being full of hackers and at least one cheater on every server. I can't imagine what that crowd would do if they got rid of anti cheat entirely.

Jippa
Feb 13, 2009

Erata posted:

I like the zeroing mechanic but I think it's ridiculously distracting. I can see where the rangefinder would be valuable though, but again, not necessary. I'm sure everyone's used to taking a test shot, staying scoped to see where it lands on your crosshair and memorizing where on your crosshair the bullet landed. K'pow, you just zeroed your rifle.

I suppose you could memorize the bullet drop with your rangefinder so that you don't have to take a test shot. You just say to yourself "The bullet lands about here at 650 meters" and get those sicknasty lob shots out or whatever.

edit: I guess zeroing it would make it easier to hit moving targets though?

Once you get used to a range finder it's way more efficient doing any thing

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Also there is nothing else of value to put in that weapon slot. You going to use a laser or a flashlight on your sniper rifle? I guess canted ironsights maybe, but I just take out my pistol.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Bohemian Nights posted:

So, SOFLAM-bug chat. I just checked, and it also works in the stealth jet if you equip the laser guided missiles, even from the bombing camera. Remember the good times in BF2, when a jet with bombs could kill a tank in a single pass? Well, they're not quite back, but you can at least get a disable on a tank and instagib on the IFVs.

Well, except for the fact that your locked-on missiles are apparently stopped by both active protection and smoke, but still.

I don't see why you would think missiles wouldn't be stopped by AP or IR smoke, that's the whole point of them.

turn it up TURN ME ON
Mar 19, 2012

In the Grim Darkness of the Future, there is only war.

...and delicious ice cream.
Canted ironsights are the best because I get to hold my gun sideways like a gangster.

Jippa
Feb 13, 2009

DStecks posted:

At a certain point in dayz's history it was virtually unplayable because of hackers. Trust me you might think it isn't worth it, but it is. It might only catch the low hanging fruit but that's a poo poo load of fruit.

I guarantee it would be a miserable experience and ruin the game if I could just google "bf 4 cheats" and use an aimbot that didn't require a monthly subscription. Every one would be at it.

Jippa fucked around with this message at 21:45 on Jan 17, 2014

DoctorStrangelove
Jun 7, 2012

IT WOULD NOT BE DIFFICULT MEIN FUHRER!

Bohemian Nights posted:

loving BF2 jets. I would say that they ruined that game for me, but then I remember claymores, artillery, everyone carrying 4 grenades and every server running FF on.

Bohemian Nights
Jul 14, 2006

When I wake up,
I look into the mirror
I can see a clearer, vision
I should start living today
Clapping Larry

Kibayasu posted:

I don't see why you would think missiles wouldn't be stopped by AP or IR smoke, that's the whole point of them.

I'm not at all surprised, it's just that with a SOFLAM lock, things have a tendency to slip through, and active protection works entirely by its own rules.

DoctorStrangelove posted:

loving BF2 jets. I would say that they ruined that game for me, but then I remember claymores, artillery, everyone carrying 4 grenades and every server running FF on.

Honestly, I didn't fly at all in BF2. It was the distinct memory of raging against unkillable skygods in Dragon Valley that drove me to learn jets in BF3.

Bohemian Nights fucked around with this message at 18:49 on Jan 17, 2014

radintorov
Feb 18, 2011

Grey Fox V2 posted:

What happened here?
Guy placed 3 SLAMs on the jeep, drove on the point, got hit by an Engineer with an AT weapon after his u-turn, and the MAA that another enemy took drove close enough to trigger the explosives, killing both.

Carecat
Apr 27, 2004

Buglord

Jippa posted:

At a certain point in dayz's history it was virtually uplayable because of hackers. Trust you might think it isn't worth it, but it is. It might only catch the low hanging fruit but that's a poo poo load of fruit.

I guarantee it would be a miserable experience and ruin the game if I could just google "bf 4 cheats" and use an aimbot that didn't require a monthly subscription. Every one would be at it.

Yes I think this is the truth. Even if they aren't very effective just being moderately effective and detecting a lot of common hacks is going to grab you a lot of people who's hacking ability extends to googling some cheat. Not that it excuses punkbuster for being badly made.

Firefight is the better idea but if punkbuster is preventing hundreds of people cheating at any given time then it will massively cut down on the number the playerbase experiences.

OGS-Remix
Sep 4, 2007

Totally surviving on my own. On LAND!
I saw this gif in the schadenfreude thread:

SUAV in real life. :haw:

Loving Africa Chaps
Dec 3, 2007

We had not left it yet, but when I would wake in the night, I would lie, listening, homesick for it already.

I love the suav, especially on locker. No one expects it coming down a hall and killing them

Gonkish
May 19, 2004

I unlocked all the sniper rifles by playing on a 24/7 locker server during double xp. Threw on a 100% boost and went to town.
Sure, it was boring, but so is sitting on a hill getting maybe three kills a round. This at least would net me 10 or 15 just by mindlessly plinking rounds at the chokepoint.

EDIT:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=adT-X6Pt4gk

This is how a Rendezook would end up if I did it. Guaranteed.

Gonkish fucked around with this message at 19:00 on Jan 17, 2014

SwitchbladeKult
Apr 4, 2012

"The warmth of life has entered my tomb!"

Bohemian Nights posted:

This SOFLAM bug unintended feature is getting ridiculous. I used to scoff when people would justify exploiting using the MAVFLAM by saying it must be an undocumented feature because :dice: refuses to admit it is a bug but after weeks of this I now think they might be onto something. It must have been reported hundreds if not thousands of times by now and at no point have they publically acknowledged it. This doesn’t change my stance on the issue never stop using it until :dice: bothers to fix it but I think it’s kind of interesting watching it all play out. Actually, this entire BF4 mid to post launch experience has been interesting. Sad and sometimes frustrating but interesting.

On an unrelated note, I’m rank 50 and I still have no idea how squad upgrades work. What do you have to do to gain points to get squad upgrades? I would really love to be able to take advantage of the “passively repair vehicles you are riding in” perk while flying my metal coffin (AH).

Snazzy Frocks
Mar 31, 2003

Scratchmo
I wish I could exchange double xp weekends for battlepacks or something now that I don't ever need XP again because they'll never release another expansion.

SuperSpiff
Apr 4, 2007
Mentally retardation is such a strong word.

DStecks posted:

Have you ever wondered if maybe the reason you haven't encountered many hackers is because of anti-cheat? Because I'm pretty sure the threat of a VAC ban discourages many (not all) cheaters.

To use your house analogy, if someone thinks there's a working alarm system, they're probably not going to break in. I can pretty much guarantee you that the removal of punkbuster or VAC would result in a shitton more cheating going on. See: tf2 before VAC got their poo poo together.

Don't interpret this to mean that I don't think PunkBuster is a piece of poo poo. It absolutely is. But to remove it is dumb. Fix it instead.

OneEightHundred
Feb 28, 2008

Soon, we will be unstoppable!

fletcher posted:

I don't think security through obscurity is a good thing here. I think it would be better if it was out in the open with tons of people hacking away on it so the the holes can be patched.
I think you're misusing security mantras in ways they don't apply. When people talk about security through obscurity being a bad thing, it's a criticism of using it at the expense of schemes that can't be bypassed by user modifications. That's very different from preventing users from performing analysis (wallhacks) or preventing them from sending valid data automatically (aimbots).

There ARE cases where that applies to cheat protection, i.e. preventing clients from doing things that are impossible, using heuristic checks to prevent them from abusing user experience features (i.e. compressing actions too much), and depriving them of information (i.e. excluding players they can't see from net updates), but those aren't what PunkBuster is for. PunkBuster is there to make it difficult to make modifications to the software. Making the source code available would make it easier to modify, which defeats the entire purpose.

Snuffy the Evil
Oct 9, 2012

Loving Africa Chaps posted:

I love the suav, especially on locker. No one expects it coming down a hall and killing them

I was surprised to learn no one expects the EOD bot, either. :haw:

Also, no one ever checks the ceilings of the elevators for C4. Sticking some up there and sending the elevator down makes defending the rooftop elevators on Hainan Resort much easier- all you need to do is take out your detonator and wait for the doors to close again. Claymores work too, but those aren't as easy to hide.

WastedJoker
Oct 29, 2011

Fiery the angels fell. Deep thunder rolled around their shoulders... burning with the fires of Orc.

Gonkish posted:

I unlocked all the sniper rifles by playing on a 24/7 locker server during double xp. Threw on a 100% boost and went to town.
Sure, it was boring, but so is sitting on a hill getting maybe three kills a round. This at least would net me 10 or 15 just by mindlessly plinking rounds at the chokepoint.

EDIT:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=adT-X6Pt4gk

This is how a Rendezook would end up if I did it. Guaranteed.

I know it's bullet ricochet but I like to think that little TINK was from the guy bouncing off the plane hahaha

DStecks
Feb 6, 2012

SuperSpiff posted:

Have you ever wondered if maybe the reason you haven't encountered many hackers is because of anti-cheat? Because I'm pretty sure the threat of a VAC ban discourages many (not all) cheaters.

To use your house analogy, if someone thinks there's a working alarm system, they're probably not going to break in. I can pretty much guarantee you that the removal of punkbuster or VAC would result in a shitton more cheating going on. See: tf2 before VAC got their poo poo together.

Don't interpret this to mean that I don't think PunkBuster is a piece of poo poo. It absolutely is. But to remove it is dumb. Fix it instead.

Point taken.

Uranium 235
Oct 12, 2004

The last time I cheated in a multiplayer game was in the original Diablo on battle.net. I think that was my earliest experience with griefing. I remember finding people in town and PKing them, or taking their town portals to them and ganking them. Good times, good times.

LampkinsMateSteve
Jan 1, 2005

I've really fucked it. Have I fucked it?

Backhand posted:

BF3 almost, almost got me to understand the mentality of the average cheater for one very simple reason. I found that I really, really hated dying to a speck on the horizon 500 meters away.

Somebody got to the end of BF3 with a working Q key.

Sniper talk: if you haven't got the range finder, PLD is great for finding the range and also seeing hidden targets. As a bonus, you can scare away some armour / air support by lasing them. You might even find yourself getting some laser assists.

ItBurns
Jul 24, 2007
Rogue Transmission is a great map for getting marksman ribbons as well.

SwitchbladeKult
Apr 4, 2012

LampkinsMateSteve posted:

Somebody got to the end of BF3 with a working Q key.

Sniper talk: if you haven't got the range finder, PLD is great for finding the range and also seeing hidden targets. As a bonus, you can scare away some armour / air support by lasing them. You might even find yourself getting some laser assists.

gently caress that, all recon should bring the PLD and only swap to their rifle when they see infantry standing still near a point or repairing a vehicle. Lasing with the PLD and spotting is so helpful to your team it's unbelievable. You can be a hill wookie, get sick long ranged headshots, and be really helpful all at the same time.

Jippa
Feb 13, 2009
I call the PLD a range finder because I keep forgetting what it's called. Is there some thing different called a range finder or are we all getting confused? Sorry for confusing.

Rynoto
Apr 27, 2009
It doesn't help that I'm fat as fuck, so my face shouldn't be shown off in the first place.

OGS-Remix posted:

[gif]

I keep watching this and can't figure out what happens to the tail. The wings and front are still clearly visible, but the back is just... gone.

ItBurns
Jul 24, 2007

Jippa posted:

I call the PLD a range finder because I keep forgetting what it's called. Is there some thing different called a range finder or are we all getting confused? Sorry for confusing.

There is a range finder attachment for the sniper rifles that only tells you the range. It doesn't have NV or designate. It does show up while you're ADSing though.

Jippa
Feb 13, 2009

ItBurns posted:

There is a range finder attachment for the sniper rifles that only tells you the range. It doesn't have NV or designate.

Ok yeah I mean the pld. Sorry for the confusion.

slev
Apr 6, 2009

EA won't even tell me why I have been banned from battelog. They just responded to my email about it with an automated message after 3 days.

TheRationalRedditor
Jul 17, 2000

WHO ABUSED HIM. WHO ABUSED THE BOY.
Your account may have gotten hacked and been used to blatantly cheat while you were gone. Or you used an illegal vpn to buy something for cheaper and got busted.

fletcher
Jun 27, 2003

ken park is my favorite movie

Cybernetic Crumb
C'mon slev fess up, what'd you do to warrant the EA banhammer??

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SwitchbladeKult
Apr 4, 2012

OGS-Remix posted:

Oh look, someone captured footage of me flying a stealth jet!

and/or a scout helicopter... :smith:

• Locked thread