Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Kabanaw
Jan 27, 2012

The real Pokemon begins here
Keith, were you talking about that dumb thing on 4chan and reddit where people will talk using poo poo like
> Go to an internet forum
> Post unfunny things
> Get laughed off the forum

Because that's annoying as all hell.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GimmickMan
Dec 27, 2011

I never understood why that was a thing either, but thinking about it I get the impression that it is supposed to be a stream of consciousness retelling of events intended to make you identify with them and follow what they were thinking about. It mostly comes across as a really lazy way to tell things though.

I didn't play Mario Kart as a kid, but rather a PC game called Wacky Wheels which was about 90% the same experience. The main difference is that you had more and better weapons (for example instead of picking up coins, you picked up hedgehogs which are your ammo) and it made the battle mode so fun that we'd play it for hours.

Here's a screenshot of player 2 blowing up player 1, it is not a straight ripoff but it is still pretty obvious they were trying to make their own Mario Kart.

Zinco
Mar 27, 2005

There were at least three separate times where Keith noted something accurately (how feathers work, how ghosts work, the sound the game makes when you pass someone) only to have Kyle say "Nnnnno, I don't think so." Have a little faith, man.

Panzerschwein
May 8, 2009

sboobs
I wanted to note that the feather can be pretty drat useful on a certain battle mode map. You jump into the middle of a square that is completely protected with a red shell and can camp out and snipe your enemy. If I recall correctly, you can also use it to introduce a shortcut or two in races.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Also, green text stories with the > are not really hard to understand. Websites like 4chan have a character limit on their posts and stories written like that make it easier to fit it within the limit. It's the same reason people use (cont.) on their tweets because they couldn't fit the thing they have to say into one. That and it's easier to digest than a big huge paragraph about an inconsequential story that could be told in just a few lines. When the story says ">Be 18" at the start, what it's saying is "in this story I am 18" to preface it.

CJacobs fucked around with this message at 16:03 on Jan 18, 2014

Somethingdumb
Nov 19, 2011

Wicked grosso, dude

Zinco posted:

There were at least three separate times where Keith noted something accurately (how feathers work, how ghosts work, the sound the game makes when you pass someone) only to have Kyle say "Nnnnno, I don't think so." Have a little faith, man.

Not sure if you've noticed but Kyle ignoring me being totally right is kind of like a major Run Button theme

Kabanaw posted:

Keith, were you talking about that dumb thing on 4chan and reddit where people will talk using poo poo like
> Go to an internet forum
> Post unfunny things
> Get laughed off the forum

Because that's annoying as all hell.

Yeah thats exactly what i mean

CJacobs posted:

Also, green text stories with the > are not really hard to understand. Websites like 4chan have a character limit on their posts and stories written like that make it easier to fit it within the limit. It's the same reason people use (cont.) on their tweets because they couldn't fit the thing they have to say into one. That and it's easier to digest than a big huge paragraph about an inconsequential story that could be told in just a few lines. When the story says ">Be 18" at the start, what it's saying is "in this story I am 18" to preface it.
But why are they using second person instead of first? Even if it's justifiable I just really dislike it.

Zinco
Mar 27, 2005

CJacobs posted:

Understanding why stories are formatted in such a way doesn't make them that much less obnoxious (it's not as though obnoxiousness is something 4chan goes out of its way to avoid). I also doubt that the only two options for an "inconsequential story that could be told in a few lines" (which doesn't sound especially gripping in the first place) are a "big huge paragraph" or a heap of ">be 18"-style lines. I mean, I get why the culture of that board might necessitate the latter, but that would also be part of the reason why I wouldn't go to 4chan.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Somethingdumb posted:

But why are they using second person instead of first? Even if it's justifiable I just really dislike it.

I dunno. Nobody has ever done good second person writing because second person writing is awful, I wouldn't expect it to work here either. I was just saying that it IS written like that for a reason. :shrug:

CJacobs fucked around with this message at 16:53 on Jan 18, 2014

FinalGamer
Aug 30, 2012

So the mystic script says.

CJacobs posted:

I dunno. Nobody has ever done good second person writing because second person writing is awful, I wouldn't expect it to work here either. :shrug:
It's pretty much impossible to make second-person writing good because it forces YOU into a narrative of emotions that you might not actually sympathise with. It's even worse when it's used for fanfics.
That exists, and yes it is exactly as terrible as you would imagine for all and every kind of story. I don't think there's even ever been a GAME that does that other than...maybe Perfect Dark which had the Counter-Operative gameplay of player 2 being an enemy to kill player 1?

It's a missing step of narrative that frankly no one needs.

Also I was so glad to see Rainbow Road being the finale it was, what a hella finish guys. Keith's been getting a lot more open about his anger over the Mario games so I expect him to just froth into a dissolving pile of rage and bile by the time we reach Mario Kart Double Dash!!

Captain Lavender
Oct 21, 2010

verb the adjective noun

The only way I can wrap my head around 4chan memes like that, and popular, JPEG artifact-filled Facebook memes is that there's some sort of natural selection going on. No goal, no intelligent design; just... some stupid "nothings" hit people in a certain way and they take off and evolve. 4chan is like some sort of primordial ooze.

Croccers
Jun 15, 2012
You better sing this when you get to Double Dash :colbert:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FuX5_OWObA0

Lemur Crisis
May 6, 2009

What will you do?
Where can you run?

CJacobs posted:

Nobody has ever done good second person writing
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/If_on_a_winter%27s_night_a_traveler :colbert:

Somethingdumb
Nov 19, 2011

Wicked grosso, dude

that sounds really interesting.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

CJacobs posted:

I dunno. Nobody has ever done good second person writing because second person writing is awful, I wouldn't expect it to work here either. I was just saying that it IS written like that for a reason. :shrug:

Choose your own adventure books are kind of second person.

PSWII60
Jan 7, 2007

All the best octopodes shoot fire and ice.
Wasn't Heart of Darkness in second person? I remember it was like someone was was telling you the story as they had experienced it, but can't remember much else.

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.
Regardless of is there's ever been something good come of second-person perspective, I think we can all agree nothing good has come of 4chan.

Woebin
Feb 6, 2006

Here's a video with some awful music overlaid (I'd mute it), showing some good uses for shrooms and feathers.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Go2SKjHBXiY

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

Holy crap, Nintendo let alcohol through in one of their SNES games? Or was that just a bottle of carbonated apple juice?

Also, is this the first Mario game in which Lakitu is not an enemy?

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Carbon dioxide posted:

There's that Lakitu in Super Mario World that drops coins instead of spineys if that counts. You can still kill him even though there's no benefit, but you really should be doing that at any opportunity anyway.

FinalGamer
Aug 30, 2012

Wow, corrected, that sounds amazing to read. Thanks for the info!

Carbon dioxide posted:

Holy crap, Nintendo let alcohol through in one of their SNES games? Or was that just a bottle of carbonated apple juice?

Sort of, they do SHOW that it's reasonably construed as champagne but the actual DRINKING of such is not shown. In fact, the Japanese version of Super Mario Kart has both Peach and Bowser drinking the champagne in victory, whereas outside of Japan they just throw the bottle about in celebration.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Somethingdumb posted:

Not sure if you've noticed but Kyle ignoring me being totally right is kind of like a major Run Button theme

Yeah thats exactly what i mean

I don't know if it's actually second person, it seems like it might be the infinitives to me.

Carbon Thief
Oct 11, 2009

Diamonds aren't the only things that are forever.
Kyle was right about Super Mario Kart being "the first or second best-selling game on the Super Nintendo if you don't count Mario World". Only Donkey Kong Country sold more copies without being a pack-in title.

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

Carbon Thief posted:

Kyle was right about Super Mario Kart being "the first or second best-selling game on the Super Nintendo if you don't count Mario World". Only Donkey Kong Country sold more copies without being a pack-in title.

Donkey Kong Country WAS a pack-in title for a period of time.

SloppyDoughnuts
Apr 9, 2010

I set fire to the rain watched it pour as I touched your face
You know a girl really loves you when you take a mushroom and she lets you go in the chocolate area.

Carbon Thief
Oct 11, 2009

Diamonds aren't the only things that are forever.

Phantasium posted:

Donkey Kong Country WAS a pack-in title for a period of time.

Hmm, so Super Mario Kart was even more popular than I thought. I just got sucked into a Wikipedia black hole of video game sales figures and some of them are surprising to me. For example, I always thought that the Xbox and PS2 were fairly equal rivals for the market share, since they both seemed popular with my friends at the time, but it turns out that the PS2 sold over 6 times as many consoles. (I forgot that only the PS2 came with a DVD player built in, though.)

Zinco
Mar 27, 2005

FinalGamer posted:

Sort of, they do SHOW that it's reasonably construed as champagne but the actual DRINKING of such is not shown. In fact, the Japanese version of Super Mario Kart has both Peach and Bowser drinking the champagne in victory, whereas outside of Japan they just throw the bottle about in celebration.

Didn't know that! Here they are:

FinalGamer
Aug 30, 2012

Zinco posted:

Didn't know that! Here they are:

Hahaha holy poo poo wow Peach is getting loving soused on that poo poo. I guess that was a side of her we never knew, that she could hold her drink well! Maybe her and Bowser had terrible drinking games at one point. I mean it gets pretty boring being kidnapped for the twentieth time and you can only do so many games of Go Cheep.

Markovnikov
Nov 6, 2010
RE: Second person narration, the only example I can think of is the "A Story About You" episode of the Welcome to Night Vale podcast (quite popular podcast, made by a goon).

Also Italo Calvino's work is always awesome and read-worthy.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

MSPA is also second person, but discussion of that probably should be relegated to the thread.

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

Tunicate posted:

MSPA is also second person, but discussion of that probably should be relegated to the thread.

Which is based on text-based adventure games, where second person is very common. They (and CYOA stories) get it to work by the fact that you are controlling what the protagonist does.

ProApocalyptic
Nov 19, 2013
Yeah, second person has been the standard POV for text adventures going all the way back to Colossal Cave Adventure (1976). It's still the default for modern interactive fiction.

"If on a Winter's Night a Traveler" (and Calvino in general) is very highly recommended. Actually, I've got an extra copy of it lying around. Keith, if you're interested, I'd be happy to mail it to you.

Somethingdumb
Nov 19, 2011

Wicked grosso, dude

Dabir posted:

I don't know if it's actually second person, it seems like it might be the infinitives to me.

The sentences ">Be 28", ">work at CVS", etc have an implied 2nd person perspective.

C'mon, dogg, don't you remember SENTENCE DIAGRAMS?

Carbon Thief posted:

Hmm, so Super Mario Kart was even more popular than I thought. I just got sucked into a Wikipedia black hole of video game sales figures and some of them are surprising to me. For example, I always thought that the Xbox and PS2 were fairly equal rivals for the market share, since they both seemed popular with my friends at the time, but it turns out that the PS2 sold over 6 times as many consoles. (I forgot that only the PS2 came with a DVD player built in, though.)

It only seems like they were equal because microsoft paid a billion billion dollars to make sure that the ONLY game you EVER saw characters play on TV was Halo for about 4 straight years.

EDIT
VVV

Tunicate posted:

I wouldn't say second person so much as imperative mood.
Imperative mood also implies second person

Somethingdumb fucked around with this message at 03:42 on Jan 19, 2014

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

TO be, to work, I don't see the problem.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

I wouldn't say it's distinctly second person so much as imperative mood.

Tunicate fucked around with this message at 04:25 on Jan 19, 2014

Novum
May 26, 2012

That's how we roll

Let it go man, you're completely right.

Pidmon
Mar 18, 2009

NO ONE risks painful injury on your GREEN SLIME GHOST POGO RIDE.

No one but YOU.

Woebin posted:

Here's a video with some awful music overlaid (I'd mute it), showing some good uses for shrooms and feathers.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Go2SKjHBXiY

How the hell did that guy lose once against a second player that isn't even racing (11 wins 1 loss was shown at one point in the video)

midwat
May 6, 2007

If I recall, (didn't read it myself) Bright Lights, Big City was written in the second person.

Laocius
Jul 6, 2013

There's a really good David Foster Wallace story that's in the second person.

Trash Boat
Dec 28, 2012

VROOM VROOM

MassRafTer posted:

I really wish they'd bring this system back. It makes for a really fast and challenging game.

About a page late, but they actually did bring back coins back in Mario Kart 7, as well as the upcoming Mario Kart 8 I believe. They also added a flare effect on the engine when collected to make it more clear what effect it had in game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

QueerPope
May 1, 2010

Meow.
A Story About You from Welcome to Night Vale is written in second person and is very good. I think being in normal second person is actually very different from being in imperatives, even though imperative is technically a kind of second person.

• Locked thread