Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
goethe gear xx
Sep 17, 2004

faustoo
New Gold exclusive sales are up, and the most pressing question asked by these sales is "Darksiders 1 or 2?"

The first game is down to $6.59 and the sequel $19.79 ($6.59 for the season pass). From what little I remember about the coverage these games received, the first one is a thoroughly solid game with a bunch of mechanics competently copied from other games, mainly Zelda or Metroid things, and the second one is even more copied stuff but still kind of good I guess? I'd like to hear opinions on these two!

Also Stacking is $7.49 (a delightful game, though I haven't played a lot of it).

Looks like the 2K sale will continue for the time being, no new weekly sales up apart from the Gold exclusive stuff.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shalinor
Jun 10, 2002

Can I buy you a rootbeer?

goethe gear xx posted:

New Gold exclusive sales are up, and the most pressing question asked by these sales is "Darksiders 1 or 2?"

The first game is down to $6.59 and the sequel $19.79 ($6.59 for the season pass). From what little I remember about the coverage these games received, the first one is a thoroughly solid game with a bunch of mechanics competently copied from other games, mainly Zelda or Metroid things, and the second one is even more copied stuff but still kind of good I guess? I'd like to hear opinions on these two!

Also Stacking is $7.49 (a delightful game, though I haven't played a lot of it).
Both Darksiders are derivative as hell... but. The first one's an honestly good Zelda game. I got tired of it at around the 70% mark, but you could do much worse.

The second one is even more derivative than the first, only instead of stopping at stuffing it with good Zelda features, they stuffed it with a grabbag of random MMO tropes. Boring wide open regions (at least early on) with no real encounter design, an entire random-item-looting system that they could have cut entirely without changing a thing, etc. The combat was also unnecessarily complicated beyond what they did in the first. Lots of added features that clutter the base game. That said, Death as a character is way more interesting than War.

Stacking is a better game than either of them. Get Stacking. And also Darksiders 1, especially at that price. Only get Darksiders 2 if you REALLY, REALLY love Darksiders 1, and don't have a Nintendo console to get your Zelda fix anywhere else.

Nibbles!
Jun 26, 2008

TRUMP TRUMP TRUMP

make australia great again as well please
Also if achievements are your thing there are two unobtainable ones in Darksiders 2 since servers have been down.

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot
Okay dumb question but I got out of the digital stone age recently and upgraded to a PC which is able to run last decade's games, so I got a generic XBox controller attachment. It works fine and I dig it however, do you need another receiver to turn on a second controller? I'd like to do some head to head stuff.

Ronald Duck
Jun 26, 2005
My mum says I’m cool.
Four controllers and four headsets from the 1 wireless adapter.

enri
Dec 16, 2003

Hope you're having an amazing day

So tonight I thought "I should probably go redeem that code I have for the tomb raider reboot" only to find the leaflet with the code on it missing.

Check with my wife and looks like my darling 4 year old son might have lumped it with another bunch of leaflets that came through our door, used it as 'rubbish' and it's ended up in the bin.

:doh:

Oh well, wasn't overly bothered (I'd have installed it before now if I had of been) but would have been nice to give it a go :)

Rapacity
Sep 12, 2007
Grand
Maybe I'm deluded but I just got one of those "I wouldn't even believe it of next gen" from looking at free-plays of Fuel and ordered it immediately. Almost all of the arguments against it like thousands of miles of no collectables sound awesome to me. I can take a dirt bike and hack over 5000 square miles? Are you kidding me? Why is this game almost invisible?

Dominic White
Nov 1, 2005

Rapacity posted:

Maybe I'm deluded but I just got one of those "I wouldn't even believe it of next gen" from looking at free-plays of Fuel and ordered it immediately. Almost all of the arguments against it like thousands of miles of no collectables sound awesome to me. I can take a dirt bike and hack over 5000 square miles? Are you kidding me? Why is this game almost invisible?

Because as a driving game it's a complete mess. There's a huge overhaul mod for the PC version that completely reworks the driving model so that it makes some degree of sense (previously, trucks would just spin wildly in circles the moment a single tire touched mud), as well as improving the campaign flow, but that's for PC only.

Rapacity
Sep 12, 2007
Grand
buh... the sheer scope of it is amazing. I really can't wait.

Stravinsky
May 31, 2011

New consoles are out, tons if great games exist for the 360 and all I have been playing are HD rerealeses of PS2 games on this thing.

Fly Ricky
May 7, 2009

The Wine Taster

Rapacity posted:

buh... the sheer scope of it is amazing. I really can't wait.

People are gonna post poo poo about it, but I had a hard-on for this game too and it did not disappoint. That said, the driving model isn't amazing but it's appropriate for the setting and very fun for the kind of racing you'll be doing. You aren't going to be looking for the perfect line around corners, you're going to cut halfway across the course to gently caress over the A.I. Graphics are dated but it is doesn't look awful and it IS amazingly huge and you can off-road anywhere you want until you're exhausted. I played Fuel for over 80 hours and it was bar-none one of my favorite titles on the 360. IMO it was more fun than Forza Horizon ("fun"), and only 2nd to Burnout Paradise in terms of sheer enjoyment. It's not a game for traditional racing fans, and the mechanics turned others off as well, but if you poke around you'll find there was a rabid fan-base for the game despite the generally poor reviews.

oh yeah pro-tip: online is surely dead so when you get the game I'd recommend NOT accepting the automatic update. There's a bug of some sort that will allow you to use cars in races that outclass your rivals, and there are some tough, looong races later in the game and you'll appreciate the option to use a dirt bike instead of a big rig (for example).

Fly Ricky fucked around with this message at 09:47 on Jan 16, 2014

KennyMan666
May 27, 2010

The Saga

Guardian of Light available for free with Gold now.

der juicen
Aug 11, 2005

Fuck haters
I'm interested in what the next batch of free games will be. Hoping for another relatively new game.

Dirty Karma
Jul 3, 2007
Lara Croft & GoL is amazing fun solo, and one of the best couch coop games ever released. Period.

All 17 360 owners who don't have it should hop on that immediately.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

I'll second that. One of the few couch co-op GIRLFRIEND friendly games.

owl_pellet
Nov 20, 2005

show your enemy
what you look like

I'm one of the 17. I always had it on my list to buy at some point because I enjoyed the demo but for some reason I never did so I'm looking forward to playing it.

Chasiubao
Apr 2, 2010

Kane and Lynch DLC is free as well. It's pretty funny.

Seltzer
Oct 11, 2012

Ask me about Game Pass: the Best Deal in Gaming!
It says that the first episode of The Wolf Among Us is free, but when I download it I can only play the demo. When I click the unlock episode 1 option it prompts me to pay $5, am I missing something?

ixnay
Jun 11, 2002

rainbow dash why are you making such a cool face?!
Yes, you missed the Christmas/New Years sale where episode 1 was actually free. $5 is it's normal price.

Arms_Akimbo
Sep 29, 2006

It's so damn...literal.
I downloaded Wolf as well but haven't played it, but all indications on the store page lead to it being free again, which is the only reason I snagged it. If this is more MS bullshit, I won't be surprised, but a little irate considering I have a pretty low data cap on my ISP and every gigabyte counts.

enri
Dec 16, 2003

As I'm late to the xbox 360 party, I'm planning on getting through games I either played lots on my now dead PC or never got round to trying out.. next on my list is Skyrim. Is it worth picking up the GotY edition over the standard edition or should I just plump for the standard game and get the DLC stuff at a later date whenever I get around to it?

I guess what I'm asking is, will the extra DLC content rob any particular experiences from me if I have it available early on?

Barudak
May 7, 2007

enri posted:

As I'm late to the xbox 360 party, I'm planning on getting through games I either played lots on my now dead PC or never got round to trying out.. next on my list is Skyrim. Is it worth picking up the GotY edition over the standard edition or should I just plump for the standard game and get the DLC stuff at a later date whenever I get around to it?

I guess what I'm asking is, will the extra DLC content rob any particular experiences from me if I have it available early on?

Skyrim is a game that with or without DLC lets you go natter about in whatever order you want so that, inevitably, you've robbed yourself of the "perfect" time to go do some other thing. Assuming you enjoy the game this might start to drag you down somewhere near hour 50-80.

The main questline has a ton of nonfunctional events and just kind of ends so don't expect to ever care if you get overpowered for that.

enri
Dec 16, 2003

Barudak posted:

Skyrim is a game that with or without DLC lets you go natter about in whatever order you want so that, inevitably, you've robbed yourself of the "perfect" time to go do some other thing. Assuming you enjoy the game this might start to drag you down somewhere near hour 50-80.

The main questline has a ton of nonfunctional events and just kind of ends so don't expect to ever care if you get overpowered for that.

Yea I played the old morrowind back in the day and I've had plenty of experience playing the newer fallout games, lost plenty of time to those so I expect nothing less from skyrim :) I will likely give oblivion a miss, purely because I imagine skyrim does what oblivion meant to do but does it better.

Think I'll pick up the GotY edition in that case, thanks :)

goethe gear xx
Sep 17, 2004

faustoo
I recently bought Mass Effects 1 and 3, intent on doing a full trilogy run at long last (previously I've owned and completed 2). Just finished 1 a minute ago, and here's my hot take on this game from seven years ago:

It's a wreck in a lot of ways! Starting from completely technical stuff like spotty frame rates and textures (sometimes ones very close to the camera) kind of load up when they feel like it. Then there's NPC interaction, which is super mechanical with stilted dialogue tons of repeated animations (the "turn and walk away" became pretty funny to me for some reason). Also sometimes it felt like Shepard's lines were completely different from the option I selected, not in tone but in content. Specifically at a point late in the story where I thought Shepard was clued into a major point of the bad guys' plan but when I tried to use this knowledge to convince the main antagonist to stop, it seemed like Shepard completely forgot what she learned not five minutes earlier. The morality stuff (at least Renegade options) are almost always funny for the wrong reasons, but I guess this game is from BioWare's worst period when it comes to these kinds of systems.

The side stuff is entirely forgettable, and any section involving the Mako I hope to forget as soon as possible. When going to orbit a planet I found myself hoping that the A button command turned to "Survey" instead of "Land," as it would mean not having to endure another horrible driving section.

Yet still I think I liked it for the most part! The combat is fun, even if after getting all the mechanics and controls down it got pretty easy. And there are times when I was impressed with the world (or worlds) they created. I'll even admit to have liked the first time I got to ride the Mako through a crazy blizzard. Well, I liked it for the first few minutes because it looked kind of like a really rough blizzard. I even got into the loot aspect a little bit! I wish the shotguns in this game weren't so small though, it looked ridiculous! Especially when Wrex wielded one.

I don't know, maybe my positive feelings are tied to knowing that it does get better (I remember liking ME2 a bunch), so join me for when I do or forget to do one of these for that game!

edit Yeah and I'll definitely come back to ME1 to grab some more achievements as the handsome and tormented ladykiller Derek Shepard, probably a Sentinel because the powers are cool

goethe gear xx fucked around with this message at 01:24 on Jan 18, 2014

TheJetCityFix
Feb 3, 2004

Errday I'm Russellin'
Everyone has gotta download that free Lara Croft: Guardian of Light game. It's pretty dang awesome. I just spent the last few hours playing it with my son and we had a blast.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!

TheJetCityFix posted:

Everyone has gotta download that free Lara Croft: Guardian of Light game. It's pretty dang awesome. I just spent the last few hours playing it with my son and we had a blast.

It's online coop only right?

TheJetCityFix
Feb 3, 2004

Errday I'm Russellin'

wormil posted:

It's online coop only right?

Nope, it's got local co-op and online.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!

TheJetCityFix posted:

Nope, it's got local co-op and online.

Thanks. Saw co-op:online and lost interest. Downloading now.

Lord Wexia
Sep 27, 2005

Boo zombie apocalypse.
Hooray beer!

wormil posted:

Thanks. Saw co-op:online and lost interest. Downloading now.

I'll play online with you. I played through a lot of solo but never finished. GT is Lord Wexia

Parkingtigers
Feb 23, 2008
TARGET CONSUMER
LOVES EVERY FUCKING GAME EVER MADE. EVER.

goethe gear xx posted:

The side stuff is entirely forgettable, and any section involving the Mako I hope to forget as soon as possible. When going to orbit a planet I found myself hoping that the A button command turned to "Survey" instead of "Land," as it would mean not having to endure another horrible driving section.

It's people like you, with no appreciation for awesome, that made them take the Mako sections away from the sequels. In two 100% runs of the first game, I drove that Mako over every single planet I could scouring for ores and things to shoot.

The Mako rules, and anyone who says otherwise is wrong. I loving adored driving that thing. Scaling almost vertical hillsides, rocket boosting off cliffs, parking on top of the big Geth walkers while my shields recharged so they couldn't shoot me. Good times. Best times.

Dross
Sep 26, 2006

Every night he puts his hot dogs in the trees so the pigeons can't get them.

goethe gear xx posted:

I recently bought Mass Effects 1 and 3, intent on doing a full trilogy run at long last (previously I've owned and completed 2). Just finished 1 a minute ago, and here's my hot take on this game from seven years ago:

It's a wreck in a lot of ways! Starting from completely technical stuff like spotty frame rates and textures (sometimes ones very close to the camera) kind of load up when they feel like it. Then there's NPC interaction, which is super mechanical with stilted dialogue tons of repeated animations (the "turn and walk away" became pretty funny to me for some reason). Also sometimes it felt like Shepard's lines were completely different from the option I selected, not in tone but in content. Specifically at a point late in the story where I thought Shepard was clued into a major point of the bad guys' plan but when I tried to use this knowledge to convince the main antagonist to stop, it seemed like Shepard completely forgot what she learned not five minutes earlier. The morality stuff (at least Renegade options) are almost always funny for the wrong reasons, but I guess this game is from BioWare's worst period when it comes to these kinds of systems.

Yet still I think I liked it for the most part! The combat is fun, even if after getting all the mechanics and controls down it got pretty easy. And there are times when I was impressed with the world (or worlds) they created. I'll even admit to have liked the first time I got to ride the Mako through a crazy blizzard. Well, I liked it for the first few minutes because it looked kind of like a really rough blizzard. I even got into the loot aspect a little bit! I wish the shotguns in this game weren't so small though, it looked ridiculous! Especially when Wrex wielded one.

I don't know, maybe my positive feelings are tied to knowing that it does get better (I remember liking ME2 a bunch), so join me for when I do or forget to do one of these for that game!

edit Yeah and I'll definitely come back to ME1 to grab some more achievements as the handsome and tormented ladykiller Derek Shepard, probably a Sentinel because the powers are cool

I'm currently nearing the end of ME2 doing a trilogy run myself (playing them in order, never having played any of them before). Some changes were absolutely necessary (framerate, some UI cleanup, fixing some of UE3's major issues such as shadow blending) and some baffle me (addition of ammo as a mechanic when it's so plentiful as to be essentially infinite, removal of driving and exploration, terminally boring planet mining). Looking forward to seeing if the difference between 2 and 3 is as huge as the difference between 1 and 2.

I'm doing full Paragon this time, may do full Renegade on another trilogy run.

I get the uncanny valley effect anytime Shepard smiles. It's so loving creepy, especially when I'm hitting on Miranda. (speaking of creepy, the fact that every person under my command is trying to bang me really feels like juvenile power fantasy)

Dross fucked around with this message at 08:22 on Jan 18, 2014

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Can anyone who's play SC Blacklist fill me in on it? Its dropped to 20.

I mostly ignored it cause no Ironside and Sam looks super young but at 20 I might give it a spin.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Dross posted:

Looking forward to seeing if the difference between 2 and 3 is as huge as the difference between 1 and 2.

It's not. 3 is more or less 2 with the planet mining mechanic replaced with a sort of cat-and-mouse real-time minigame and the relationships between the powers and the three types of health bar more strongly differentiated.

I was kinda disappointed that they stopped trying to create a semi-hard SF justification for how each power works and just started making straight-up superpowers.

quote:

I get the uncanny valley effect anytime Shepard smiles. It's so loving creepy, especially when I'm hitting on Miranda.

It's a big upgrade from 1 at least, especially the shadows which consistently improve throughout the series.

quote:

(speaking of creepy, the fact that every person under my command is trying to bang me really feels like juvenile power fantasy)

video games

Tempo 119
Apr 17, 2006

Alteisen posted:

Can anyone who's play SC Blacklist fill me in on it? Its dropped to 20.

I mostly ignored it cause no Ironside and Sam looks super young but at 20 I might give it a spin.

I really enjoyed it but I've never played a Splinter Cell before so I don't know if that's any use to you!

There are one or two weird first-person levels but they're not too bad really. The ending is totally abrupt, I think there was supposed to be a DLC mission to tie it up but it never came out. The three-way progression across the different playstyles is interesting (I wish more stealth games would adopt "sneaky but still lethal" as valid because that's what I always like to do). I got tripped up at the start because it unlocks one of each side mission straight away after the tutorial, and the one I decided to try first turned out to be a horde mode which is completely impossible when you don't have any equipment.

ixnay
Jun 11, 2002

rainbow dash why are you making such a cool face?!
I played the first Splinter Cell a long time ago and then Conviction back when that came out, and Blacklist ended up being one of my favorite games I played last year.

You have the main single player campaign, plus around a dozen side missions that can be done solo or co-op (with a few that are co-op only). All your equipment and unlocks carry over between those modes. There's also competitive multiplayer, but I didn't get too much into that since every time I played I was going against some team of max-level people with all the unlocks that just wiped the floor with me, and that's no fun.

If you're the kind of person that likes replaying stuff in an attempt to score higher on leaderboards, you'd probably get a lot of mileage out of this game, since every mission gives you points based on those three playstyles (sneaking past undetected gives you more points than stealth knockouts, which score higher than stealth kills, which score higher than open combat kills, for instance). I wound up getting in a co-op game with some dude that is up near the top of the leaderboards on most of the levels, and he showed me that there is some crazy stuff you can do to score that high. Things like stealth killing all the guys on a level within 3 seconds of each other to max out your combo scoring and so forth.

THE MACHO MAN
Nov 15, 2007

...Carey...

draw me like one of your French Canadian girls
Has anyone here tried WWE2k14? I was looking for something outside of the normal sports, shooter and xbl arcade thing I've been doing. I've not had a wrestling game since wcw vs nwo I think, and I figured it would be a nice change of pace. Of course, there's no downloadable demo, so the best I can do is get it at redbox in a few days when I heard up the highway where I can get get it.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Despite the publisher change, it's basically the same as the THQ games since it kept the developer.

The single player mode is cool because you fight a bunch of iconic Wrestlemania matches, but unfortunately since it's only the Wrestlemania matches you don't actually see any of the build-up or follow-up except in occasional video packages.

WWE13's Attitude Era mode was much better about that because it followed the whole individual storylines from beginning to end. You won't find that in a Redbox though.

The Duke
May 19, 2004

The Angel from my Nightmare

I just beat Far Cry 3. If anyone wants to help me do the co-op maps sometime please send me a friend request so we can play! GT: kr0jar

Also I'm always up for some Resident Evil: Revelations Raid Mode as well.

Ronald Duck
Jun 26, 2005
My mum says I’m cool.
New gold weekly deals are up
code:
Call of Duty: Ghosts		Games on Demand	33%	$39.99
Final Fantasy XIII-2 		Games on Demand	67%	$6.59
Dark Souls			Games on Demand	75%	$4.99
The Witcher 2			Games on Demand	67%	$9.89
Tales of Vesperia 		Games on Demand	67%	$4.94
D & D: Chronicles of Mystara	Arcade		67%	$4.94
http://majornelson.com/2014/01/21/this-weeks-xbox-live-store-deals-2/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rapacity
Sep 12, 2007
Grand
Apparently I have £3.40 in my xbox account from when the switchover from points happened. However, when I try to buy something more expensive than that, it appears it wants to charge me the whole amount to my card rather than deducting the 3.40 to give a lower total. It's possible that, upon confirming the purchase, the amount charged may be less but I don't want to just trust that because it's very odd that it makes no mention of it.

Does anyone have any experience with this?

• Locked thread