Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Awkward Davies
Sep 3, 2009
Grimey Drawer

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

I like this. I feel like the horizon is slightly crooked though.

Ambihelical Hexnut
Aug 5, 2008
Hiked this around today without a strap:

All I have to say is https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=assZ9bcucmQ

eggsovereasy
May 6, 2011

It's big, but not too heavy. At least not compared to that RZ67 you have in the background

Spedman
Mar 12, 2010

Kangaroos hate Hasselblads
After using one extensively for the past year or two, a 35mm camera just feels too small now.

rohan
Mar 19, 2008

Look, if you had one shot
or one opportunity
To seize everything you ever wanted
in one moment
Would you capture it...
or just let it slip?

:siren:"THEIR":siren:

Alright, thanks to you bastards I'm considering investing in some MF gear.

Would I go wrong buying a Mamiya 645E on KEH for $254 (rated EX+), and pairing it with an 80mm/f2.8 lens for $89 (also EX+)? I understand 645 isn't the most beloved of the MF sizes, but am I right in thinking it's essentially a cropped 6x6 and that the advantages of MF will still come through? I'm thinking a light, plastic body that gets more shots per roll might be a better way to introduce myself to the format, and then if I'm feeling particularly enthusiastic I can always sell the kit and move on to a proper 6x6 (or 6x7) camera.

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

My office is in the front room of a run-down 12 megapixel sensor but the rent suits me and the landlord doesn't ask many questions.

Dorkroom Short Fiction Champion 2012

Young Orc

Baron Dirigible posted:

Alright, thanks to you bastards I'm considering investing in some MF gear.

Would I go wrong buying a Mamiya 645E on KEH for $254 (rated EX+), and pairing it with an 80mm/f2.8 lens for $89 (also EX+)? I understand 645 isn't the most beloved of the MF sizes, but am I right in thinking it's essentially a cropped 6x6 and that the advantages of MF will still come through? I'm thinking a light, plastic body that gets more shots per roll might be a better way to introduce myself to the format, and then if I'm feeling particularly enthusiastic I can always sell the kit and move on to a proper 6x6 (or 6x7) camera.
No buy a 6x6 or 6x7 now. 6x4.5 is bullshit.

Spedman
Mar 12, 2010

Second this, 645 was my first step into MF and was a total waste of time. I only had the Mamiya for a month then dumped it for a Bronica SQ-Ai, more shots doesn't equal better.

luchadornado
Oct 7, 2004

A boombox is not a toy!

Ambihelical Hexnut posted:

Hiked this around today without a strap:

All I have to say is https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=assZ9bcucmQ

:whatup:

Although I'm thinking about trading in the X-E1 for an X100s black. Are you using the X100s as a light meter?

Ambihelical Hexnut
Aug 5, 2008
That's what I did yesterday. Usually I just use the free light meter app for my phone, which has worked out really well too. Can't wait to process some of this film!

rohan
Mar 19, 2008

or one opportunity
in one moment
Would you capture it...
or just let it slip?

Spedman posted:

Second this, 645 was my first step into MF and was a total waste of time. I only had the Mamiya for a month then dumped it for a Bronica SQ-Ai, more shots doesn't equal better.
Yeah, I didn't mean to imply I thought more == better than, but it might help get more practice out per roll. Might go back and price some other systems on KEH. I'm looking mostly at Hasselblad-type bodies, since I'm not so keen on the idea of a huge rangefinder, or a TLR. Right now the Mamiya RB67 looks good, but I'm assuming its reputation for being heavy isn't unwarranted. How did you find the Bronica?

Also, I had a look through your tumblr. Fellow Melburnian still? Is there anywhere you'd recommend locally for development and scanning?

Ambihelical Hexnut
Aug 5, 2008
The RB67 is a huge camera, too. There are 6x6 TLRs that are much smaller and lighter than that.

RZ vs Yashica Mat 124g:

ZippySLC
Jun 3, 2002

~what is art, baby dont post, dont post, no more~

no seriously don't post

Baron Dirigible posted:

Yeah, I didn't mean to imply I thought more == better than, but it might help get more practice out per roll.

I've been struggling with this decision recently, too. I am pretty sure I want a Pentax MF camera, so my choices are the 645 or the 67. At the end of the day, the price for both systems (used) is about the same. The cost of film and processing is negligible, so why wouldn't I want to go with a larger negative? It's much more likely that I'd outgrow the 645 quicker, and potentially a hassle to sell the camera and step up to the 67. So better to just invest in something that I will probably use longer term.

On the other hand, I also like 6x6 so I'd be okay investing in one that shoots in that format.

Primo Itch
Nov 4, 2006
I confessed a horrible secret for this account!

ZippySLC posted:

On the other hand, I also like 6x6 so I'd be okay investing in one that shoots in that format.

You can get an old 6x6 folder for relatively cheap, less than 50 bucks depending on camera, they're compact (my Zeiss Ikon 516 fits on a backpocket) and can take decent pictures if you don't have a problem with manual everything.

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

39 perfect posts with each roll.

The big thing is that a 645 neg is literally half the size of a 6x7 neg.

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-

Mr. Despair posted:

The big thing is that a 645 neg is literally half the size of a 6x7 neg.

This diagram makes me feel bad about shooting more 35mm recently. Sometimes it's just nice to use a camera system that weighs less than 5kg. :smith:

TheJeffers
Jan 31, 2007

Baron Dirigible posted:

Yeah, I didn't mean to imply I thought more == better than, but it might help get more practice out per roll. Might go back and price some other systems on KEH. I'm looking mostly at Hasselblad-type bodies, since I'm not so keen on the idea of a huge rangefinder, or a TLR. Right now the Mamiya RB67 looks good, but I'm assuming its reputation for being heavy isn't unwarranted.

The RB67 is an enormous, heavy tank of a camera, which you'll probably find to be true of anything that can shoot 6x7. I hiked around with one recently and it wasn't awful, but I wouldn't want to carry it around all day. It's like having a toaster on a tripod.

Don't discount TLRs. I have a Mamiya C220. It's light, compact, and has a wide range of interchangeable lenses. It's much more manageable than the RB67.

Either way, having fewer shots per roll is an advantage of any MF camera because it forces you to really sweat your pre-visualization and composition of the picture before committing it to film. All of the practice you need to be doing with MF is pre-shot stuff anyway, and having a big, bright ground glass to compose on is rewarding even if you decide that what you're looking at isn't worth taking. I see it as the reverse of post-shot viewing on digital cameras.

spf3million
Sep 27, 2007

hit 'em with the rhythm

TheJeffers posted:

The RB67 is an enormous, heavy tank of a camera, which you'll probably find to be true of anything that can shoot 6x7.
Mamiya 6 or 7 is the answer for a small MF, non-TLR.

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-

TheJeffers posted:

All of the practice you need to be doing with MF is pre-shot stuff anyway, and having a big, bright ground glass to compose on is rewarding even if you decide that what you're looking at isn't worth taking. I see it as the reverse of post-shot viewing on digital cameras.
For real. Looking through that lovely huge ground glass on a friend's camera is what sold me on MF in the first place and along with the satisfying thunk of the big mirror it's pretty much the best thing about shooting it. That and the neg size.

Spedman
Mar 12, 2010

Baron Dirigible posted:

Yeah, I didn't mean to imply I thought more == better than, but it might help get more practice out per roll. Might go back and price some other systems on KEH. I'm looking mostly at Hasselblad-type bodies, since I'm not so keen on the idea of a huge rangefinder, or a TLR. Right now the Mamiya RB67 looks good, but I'm assuming its reputation for being heavy isn't unwarranted. How did you find the Bronica?

Also, I had a look through your tumblr. Fellow Melburnian still? Is there anywhere you'd recommend locally for development and scanning?

I've still got my Bronica, and admittedly I don't shoot it too much these days as I use my GW690ii and bigger negative cameras all the time. But it's a great camera, much cheaper than a Hasselblad, and I've always been happy with what I've got from it. If you're going through my tumblr page, have a look at my Iceland photos from a few years ago, they're all shot with the Bronica.

As for dev and scan, I don't nearly all of it myself, as prices can get a bit silly. When I do have an odd roll of colour that I want processed I just take it to Vanbars in Fitzroy, they're a little pricey but they do a good job. I know there are labs around that'll develop MF at reasonable prices, but I couldn't tell you off the top of my head. Check out the Melbourne Silver Mine group on flickr, they'll have a list of mini/pro labs around town worth using, and they're a group with joining if you're new to film photography too.

burzum karaoke
May 30, 2003

big scary monsters posted:

This diagram makes me feel bad about shooting more 35mm recently. Sometimes it's just nice to use a camera system that weighs less than 5kg. :smith:

There's nothing wrong with 35mm. It's a fantastic format. The issue with most 645 systems is that you're abandoning the conveniences of 35mm without adopting the advantages of medium format.

ZippySLC
Jun 3, 2002

~what is art, baby dont post, dont post, no more~

no seriously don't post

Primo Itch posted:

You can get an old 6x6 folder for relatively cheap, less than 50 bucks depending on camera, they're compact (my Zeiss Ikon 516 fits on a backpocket) and can take decent pictures if you don't have a problem with manual everything.

Well, I already have a TLR for my cheap MF camera. I really think I want a SLR.

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

P67 or bust then.

Mightaswell
Dec 4, 2003

Not now chief, I'm in the fuckin' zone.

Mr. Despair posted:

P67 or bust then.

Well technically RB/RZ/Hassy/SQ are all SLRs they just don't look like 35mm SLRs like the p67 does. :Sperg:

Mightaswell fucked around with this message at 05:08 on Jan 20, 2014

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

Mightaswell posted:

Well technically RB/RZ/Hassy/SQ are all SLRs they just don't look like 35mm SLRs like the p67 does. :Sperg:

yeah but they all suck, qed!

rohan
Mar 19, 2008

or one opportunity
in one moment
Would you capture it...
or just let it slip?

Thanks for the help, all.

I'm leaning toward the Bronica at the moment. How does $700 on KEH sound? This is for an EX+ SQ-AI body ($199), EX+ 80/2.8 PS lens ($165), EX+ 12-I back ($165) and an EX waistlevel finder for $179 as none of the bodies include one. I also priced a Hasselblad system for $400 more -- is there enough difference to justify the extra cost? Is one a really good or one a really bad deal? (The Hassy is specced similarly.)

burzum karaoke
May 30, 2003

Medium format rangefinders are slightly cooler. I read that in a book.

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

My office is in the front room of a run-down 12 megapixel sensor but the rent suits me and the landlord doesn't ask many questions.

Young Orc
Hasselblad is really good but probably not $400 better than a Bronica system. The only real benefit is the sheer number of Hassie V system cameras sold of the years means that you will be able to get parts for them basically forever. The downside is the price of lenses can be a bit crazy (depending on condition).

burzum karaoke
May 30, 2003

The Kowa Six is another good 6x6 SLR alternative. The lenses are fantastic and you can probably get a good set up for about a third of the price of a Hasselblad. The downside is that they don't have a removable back.

rohan
Mar 19, 2008

or one opportunity
in one moment
Would you capture it...
or just let it slip?

Yeah, $284 of that difference is taken up by the lens alone.

I'll have a better look when I'm back home tonight because browsing KEH on my phone is bullshit. If $700's a fair price I might just pull the trigger.

eggsovereasy
May 6, 2011

I would just go with the BGN stuff. It might be scuffed a bit, but it will work perfectly. Also, I've gotten BGN stuff from KEH that looked brand new and it's like half the price. KEH comes with a 6 month warranty so if something goes wrong they'll fix or exchange it.

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

Young Orc
Also don't be afraid to price out an older C type Hassie lens as they perform just as well as the newer ones. I would recommend one with T* coating though.

rohan
Mar 19, 2008

or one opportunity
in one moment
Would you capture it...
or just let it slip?

gently caress it, I bought a Hassy. BGN back & body (w/ WLF), EX lens because I was wary about skimping there. It broke a grand once shipping was factored in (and I picked up some rolls of Provia 400, going on recommendations earlier in this thread). Now I'm going to stop looking at prices before I get depressed, and list some stuff in the B+S thread tomorrow (anybody here into the lesser formats?).

Should be here on Friday. I'm excited! Think I have a lot to learn before then, but I'll work my way through the rest of this thread first.

:dance:

alkanphel
Mar 24, 2004

Baron Dirigible posted:

gently caress it, I bought a Hassy. BGN back & body (w/ WLF), EX lens because I was wary about skimping there. It broke a grand once shipping was factored in (and I picked up some rolls of Provia 400, going on recommendations earlier in this thread). Now I'm going to stop looking at prices before I get depressed, and list some stuff in the B+S thread tomorrow (anybody here into the lesser formats?).

Should be here on Friday. I'm excited! Think I have a lot to learn before then, but I'll work my way through the rest of this thread first.

:dance:

Great buy! That's what I got from KEH last time too. If it's a BGN back, you might wanna consider running a test roll through it first, just in case there are light leaks. The EX lens should be fine but just test the slow shutter speeds too.

rohan
Mar 19, 2008

or one opportunity
in one moment
Would you capture it...
or just let it slip?

Thanks for the heads-up! (And validation!)

When you say test roll, should I just be shooting normal scenes and seeing if anything's out of the ordinary, or is there a special process for checking for light leaks? And for the slow shutter speeds, is that where I time a second / half-second and see if they correspond?

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Mr. Despair posted:

yeah but they all suck, qed!
Imma smack you.

McMadCow
Jan 19, 2005

With our rifles and grenades and some help from God.

Baron Dirigible posted:

gently caress it, I bought a Hassy.

This is how it's done. It took me going through 3 inferior MF systems until I finally just sucked it up and laid down the cash for a Hassy. There are a lot of nice 6x6 cameras that are durable , versatile, and really excellent at certain functions, but a Hassy is excellent (the best) in basically all the categories. I got mine right before I moved abroad and was desperate to save money. I looked at just about everything else out there trying to save a few bucks and eventually just said to Hell with it and got a 500C. Everything else felt like a compromise. If you're really serious about using the best tool for the widest range of jobs, you'll never be unhappy with buying the best.

pootiebigwang
Jun 26, 2008

Baron Dirigible posted:

gently caress it, I bought a Hassy.

:getin:

The proper choice. Make sure the first accessory you buy is the brighter focusing screen with split prism as it is pretty phenomenal and is a night and day difference from the standard one. I made the same decision when I first dove into medium format and it has pretty much ruined every other format for me. I think in the last year I shot almost exclusively with it. Also have the peace of mind that if something were to go wrong, you can most definitely get it serviced whereas that might be tougher with the other brands of cameras. The WLF and 80mm combo is also a perfect walk around size for me, and will fit into pretty much any bag. If you are getting your back from KEH, it might have more of a chance of frame overlap than anything else. Mine had it and it took me a few rolls to learn how to position the film so it doesn't happen again. Good purchase though, there is no comparison to that Zeiss glass.

alkanphel
Mar 24, 2004

Baron Dirigible posted:

Thanks for the heads-up! (And validation!)

When you say test roll, should I just be shooting normal scenes and seeing if anything's out of the ordinary, or is there a special process for checking for light leaks? And for the slow shutter speeds, is that where I time a second / half-second and see if they correspond?

Yeah just shoot a range of bright to dark scenes, if there's a light leak it should be fairly obvious. And yeah just put the Hassy on a stable surface and try the 1/4-1 sec speeds, shooting for the same exposure each time to compare.

Also, 2 shots from Japan with my Hassy, on Velvia 50:

Shirakawago, 2013 by alkanphel, on Flickr

Shirakawago, 2013 by alkanphel, on Flickr

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bellows lugosi
Aug 9, 2003

Decided to test my shutter speeds:

420 inaccurate speeds every day

• Locked thread