Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

Maxwells Demon posted:

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/more/news/20140119/fowler-davis-musburger-nfl-network/

News: Brent Musburger no longer being considered the #1/Headliner announcer for ABC/ESPN.

How are we going to survive without every loving play being compared to the SEC?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Frinkahedron
Jul 26, 2006

Gobble Gobble

Thoguh posted:

How are we going to survive without every loving play being compared to the SEC?

By watching Verne and Gary call the Sun Bowl?

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD
I loving hate Brent Musburger

Groucho Marxist
Dec 9, 2005

Do you smell what The Mauk is cooking?
Musberger is getting a pretty raw deal if they're not even going to let him do a semifinal playoff game.

Top Hats Monthly
Jun 22, 2011

People are people so why should it be, that you and I should get along so awfully blink blink recall STOP IT YOU POSH LITTLE SHIT

MourningView posted:

Yeah that is not made up. I think they play some of the games in Cedar Rapids too but it's mostly the mall in that ice rink near the food court. It's just a lovely club team, but it still makes me laugh compared to how much, like, Minnesota cares about hockey.

I'll have you know that I give a huge poo poo about hockey in the state of hockey godbless

Top Hats Monthly fucked around with this message at 16:16 on Jan 20, 2014

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

damn i'm really in this bitch

Groucho Marxist posted:

Musberger is getting a pretty raw deal if they're not even going to let him do a semifinal playoff game.

I thought he was going to retire anyways. It makes sense that ESPN wouldn't want to plan too far into the future with a guy they aren't sure is going to stay.

Frinkahedron
Jul 26, 2006

Gobble Gobble

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Oh god that's great hahahaha

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

Thoguh posted:

That A) does not happen as much as dumb babies whining about it claim it does B) is justified because the SEC is actually way better than every other conference and C) will continue to happen with whoever replaces him because it's a network thing.

Musberger loving owns and this sucks.

MourningView fucked around with this message at 21:50 on Jan 20, 2014

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Prices for the playoff championship are beginning to come to light and hooooooo boy

FB Scoop posted:

The cheapest premium seat through ticket and hospitality companies PrimeSports and Colonnade Group is going to run you $1,899, according to a piece today by ESPN. That seat is located in the top corner of "Jerry's World" and includes a three-hour pregame hospitality event, a full premium menu and top shelf bar, and a $50 merchandise voucher.

For those with deeper pockets looking for something a little more extravagant, the most expensive ticket will run them just under $4,000 and includes a seat in a suite between the 20-yard lines with a hospitality pass, food and bar access and post game field access to partake in the celebration. Additional options include a premium hotel package that would up the price into the $5,000 range.

If you really wanted to get fancy you could get yourself an entire suite with room for between 15-59 people with the price starting at $4,000 a head.

If you'd rather try your luck, organizers announced last week that 1,000 tickets to the championship game will be made available by random drawing to fans willing to submit their names.

Keep in mind that the big price tags are attached to "premium seating". Tickets to the Florida State vs. Auburn title game this past season were among the cheapest that a BCS title game had ever seen. The asking price for tickets spanned from $249.99 in the upper end zone bleacher seats to $2,5000 for club level seating. The average price of a ticket sold on StubHub was around $799, according to research from AL.com.

That same article pointed out that the most expensive title game of the past few years was the Auburn vs. Oregon title game in 2011 where the average price for tickets was listed at over $5,000, with most people paying just over half that at the time they ended up getting into the game ($2,750).

No one will be complaining of the new playoff system not making enough money come this time next year. If you want to go, now would be the time to start pinching pennies.

Morby
Sep 6, 2007
I still remember the call of the Auburn-Oregon game. "Dyer runs for a few yards and is spun around...and he gets back up. Dyer gets back up. Did he not hit the ground?" said in the most :effort: , monotone voice. It was cool.

ExplodeYourself
Jan 19, 2006
That's cute. Not only do they expect people to go to back-to-back neutral site games in a short period of time, but they expect people to pay Super Bowl prices. This is clearly the BCS people teaching us a lesson.

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

ExplodeYourself posted:

That's cute. Not only do they expect people to go to back-to-back neutral site games in a short period of time, but they expect people to pay Super Bowl prices. This is clearly the BCS people teaching us a lesson.

It'll be full. It's just going to be a really terrible crowd full of rich shitheads who are just there to tell people they went.

VDay
Jul 2, 2003

I'm Pacman Jones!

DJExile posted:

Prices for the playoff championship are beginning to come to light and hooooooo boy

Gotta pay a premium price if you want to watch the year's most-hyped Non-Commercial News Program!

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD
Cheering this on and hoping for the eventual collapse of big $$$ collegiate sports as we know it

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

What does:

quote:

Keep in mind that the big price tags are attached to "premium seating".

even mean?

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Sash! posted:

What does:

even mean?

I think those are like the Club Level seats some stadiums/arenas have that give you access to your own concession stands and such. Basically somewhere between general admission and a suite.

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

DJExile posted:

I think those are like the Club Level seats some stadiums/arenas have that give you access to your own concession stands and such. Basically somewhere between general admission and a suite.

Kinda makes the whole thing a non-issue then. Regular people can still get their regular people seats then at regular people prices.

It would be different, to me, if it was one of those things like when Hank Hill went to the Alamo Bowl and "I don't want the VIP lot, I want the regular lot. / Everyone's a VIP at Alamo."

Incoherence
May 22, 2004

POYO AND TEAR

Morby posted:

I still remember the call of the Auburn-Oregon game. "Dyer runs for a few yards and is spun around...and he gets back up. Dyer gets back up. Did he not hit the ground?" said in the most :effort: , monotone voice. It was cool.
At least he's not Joe Buck.

Heaf
Jan 15, 2008

People say we suck at sports but they don't understand
It's hard to catch with holes right through your hands

Morby posted:

All I remember was that it was for All The Tostitos

Sten Freak
Sep 10, 2008

Despite all of these shortcomings, the Sten still has a long track record of shooting people right in the face.
College Slice

Maxwells Demon posted:

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/more/news/20140119/fowler-davis-musburger-nfl-network/

News: Brent Musburger no longer being considered the #1/Headliner announcer for ABC/ESPN.

There is a god.

Groucho Marxist
Dec 9, 2005

Do you smell what The Mauk is cooking?
I want all my announcers to be lecherous gambling addicts. That sounds sarcastic but I assure that it is not

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver

Sten Freak posted:

There is a god.
Before you say this, consider who they might replace him with.

Fluffdaddy
Jan 3, 2009

If you don't like Brent there is something wrong with you.

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

Fluffdaddy posted:

What if you just plain don't like anyone calling the game and would prefer to have the stadium PA guy coming out of the TV?

Dattserberg
Dec 30, 2005

National champion, Heisman winner, King crab enthusiast

Fluffdaddy posted:

Usually I'm a pretty big fan of his but his call of the NCG was pretty lackluster.

Fussy Dutchman
Jul 29, 2008
He's been slipping pretty hard. I really like his voice and all that, but "Young ____" got real loving old.

Morby
Sep 6, 2007
Remember the Bama/LSU game where he kept shoehorning in "Honey Badger" references?

Noctone
Oct 25, 2005

XO til we overdose..
I would gleefully stand idly by as Musburger choked to death on his own vomit.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!
College football has been missing Whoa Nellie calls for far too long :(

Frinkahedron
Jul 26, 2006

Gobble Gobble

Sash! posted:

What if you just plain don't like anyone calling the game and would prefer to have the stadium PA guy coming out of the TV?

If you have surround sound, mute your center channel and you only get glorious crowd noise.

kayakyakr
Feb 16, 2004

Kayak is true

Frinkahedron posted:

If you have surround sound, mute your center channel and you only get glorious crowd noise.

that is brilliant. holy crap, i'm sorry i never thought of that!

HOTLANTA MAN
Jul 4, 2010

by Hand Knit
Lipstick Apathy
Musberger sucks now but I genuinely liked him like five years ago.

Now it's Brad Nessler or nothing.

Wanvig
Sep 8, 2003

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

what's up with melty face dude over his shoulder :stare:

ED:vvv Ha!

DJExile fucked around with this message at 03:56 on Jan 21, 2014

HOTLANTA MAN
Jul 4, 2010

by Hand Knit
Lipstick Apathy
What good is an upset, Mr. Anderson, if you are unable to speak

LARGE THE HEAD
Sep 1, 2009

"Competitive greatness is when you play your best against the best."

"Learn as if you were to live forever; live as if you were to die tomorrow."

--John Wooden
Brent has definitely slipped as time as gone on but no other announcer can set the mood like he can. Listening to him call a game is like firing up an old Lincoln Continental. Listen to that motor purr. You are looking liiiiiiiiiiive...

Not enough love for Joe Tessitore in this thread. Not only is the Tess Effect real, but he's a very sharp game-caller and does those WTF moments well.

Also Dyer was down.*

*I have no idea if this is actually true or not.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

kayakyakr posted:

that is brilliant. holy crap, i'm sorry i never thought of that!

I had the center channel unplugged in one room for the national championship. All of my rowdy friends watched in there. All my prim and proper fans watched in the other room with the announcers.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

Morby posted:

I feel like he probably legitimately had no idea what happened there, for good reason. That play was loving confusing live.

Same with the ending to this year's game, it was hard to tell if the guy actually caught the ball so he didn't freak out because he had no idea what had happened until the ref signaled. He normally get excited when the moment calls for it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dattserberg
Dec 30, 2005

National champion, Heisman winner, King crab enthusiast

MourningView posted:

I feel like he probably legitimately had no idea what happened there, for good reason. That play was loving confusing live.

Same with the ending to this year's game, it was hard to tell if the guy actually caught the ball so he didn't freak out because he had no idea what had happened until the ref signaled. He normally get excited when the moment calls for it.

My biggest issue with this year's NCG was his call of FSU's final play. You can't argue that it was difficult to see, but still even after the refs signal it was just really weak given the moment. He probably took Auburn ML...

• Locked thread