Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Patter Song
Mar 26, 2010

Hereby it is manifest that during the time men live without a common power to keep them all in awe, they are in that condition which is called war; and such a war as is of every man against every man.
Fun Shoe
For the discussion of new IPs since 2001...

How does Wii Sports not count as a new IP? It's one of the best selling games ever, and Wii Sports Resort was no slouch, either. It's one of the biggest new IPs of the past decade and it just gets brushed over.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005

Cmdr. Shepard posted:

Other than lacking a BD drive, what media functionality is the Wii U missing? It has Netflix, Hulu, Youtube, and pretty good internet browser right out of the box and doesn't require a $60 yearly subscription to use it either. It has replaced my 360 for all media related tasks, saves me on a Gold subcription that I never used, and I have a stand-alone BD player for blu rays.

Your post comes off no worse than the people who think the Wii U is just a Wii add-on in terms of misinformation.

Right, so the Wii U is a generation behind its competitors, unless you consider its competitors to be 360/PS3. Nintendo is just now offering features that have been standard for years, while their competitors are adding stuff like Skype, auto-recording gameplay, PVR functionality. Some of these things might be total garbage, but the average person is going to compare the features and rightfully come to the conclusion that the Wii U is way behind feature-wise.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
Nintendo: "No plans for Mario on smartphones".

quote:

“The spread of smart devices does not spell the end of game consoles. It’s not that simple,” President Satoru Iwata said at a news conference Friday. The key is to figure out a way to use smartphones to make people aware of Nintendo’s games, and encourage them to try out the console version of the games, Mr. Iwata said.

“It doesn’t mean that we should put Mario on smartphones,” he said.
In the meantime, it is worth noting that Nintendo is beefing up its research and development budget, and that Mr. Iwata promises to surprise game players in the future. While there are plenty of unknowns, Nintendo isn’t saying game over to consoles just yet.

http://uk.ign.com/articles/2014/01/20/nintendo-has-no-plans-for-mario-on-smartphones

http://blogs.wsj.com/japanrealtime/2014/01/20/nintendos-woes-dont-mean-game-over-for-its-consoles/

Thanks gently caress, can't believe it needed to be said in the first place.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

An updated Yoshis Cookie for iOS/Android would be amazing. Yeah, we have Candy Crush and all the clones but a Nintendo one would be cool.

Why are goons so vehement of sharing "their" mascots? They can easily create some cool mobile worlds for the smartphones out there - just take a look at examples like the Dead Space series and even Assassin's Creed.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

They should really consider putting NES Remix on iOS. It's practically an interactive advertisement for Virtual Console.

They could also put the Art Style games on iOS, like Pictobits and the traffic one. They seem really suited to that kind of consumer. And I think Pictobits is touch-only too.

No. 1 Callie Fan
Feb 17, 2011

This inkling is your FRIEND
She fights for LOVE
Oh man, for some reason I remembered a Japanese CM for Dreamcast from these past days. Stand up, Iwata-san!

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real

Papercut posted:

If the only thing your device does is play games, then it better beat the competitors in terms of both game quality and quantity or you're hosed, and Nintendo hasn't been able to even come close to doing that in 20+ years.

I bought this logic when the Wii was selling for $250 and the PS3 was $600. I appreciated not having to pay extra for DVD playback when I have 5 devices in my house that can do it. I was okay with buying a device that just played games because it was substantially cheaper saving me $350.

But this all changed when the gap between the two systems at launch was only $50. The expectation is that the Wii U should do a lot more for $300-$350.

Cmdr. Shepard posted:

Other than lacking a BD drive, what media functionality is the Wii U missing?

It might have the trinity of Netflix/Amazon/Hulu, but that's pretty much it... my expectations for it to support future products like the WWE Network, or even wildly popular stuff like MLB At Bat are slim to none. If you just have a Wii U and want to do streaming only and ditch cable, you have to get a secondary device like a Roku. And at that point, you just spent just as much as a PS4.

I don't like how the PS3 Media Server functionality is gone from the PS4. It's one of the things that I love about my PS3, how I can just load it up with video on a USB Stick, or transfer it over my network with Media Server, and have it live on the system.

There is a ton of things that the Wii U doesn't do. And don't tell me to subscribe to PlayOn either.

khy
Aug 15, 2005

Cannot Find Server posted:

New Super Mario Bros. Wii sold 9 times as many copies as Skyward Sword did and about 27 times as many copies as Metroid Prime 3. You are completely insane for thinking either of these things would sell anywhere near as much as a new Mario game.

Really? I think I am completely insane. Or completely out of touch with what nintendo gamers want these days.

Everyone I know ignores SMB games and goes apeshit over Zelda/Metroid (The amount of hype and the amount of disappointment with Other M was an INCREDIBLE thing to watch). I guess the people I hang out with aren't Nintendo's demographic anymore?

Kuuenbu
Nov 19, 2001

Zack_Gochuck posted:

I think the latest big thing that caught on was the technology used in the Wavebird controller for Gamecube. That was the first wireless controller for a console that wasn't a piece of poo poo that barely worked, and everyone was using similar technology.

I've heard good things about Atari's wireless controller, but then again my exposure to it is rather limited.

There is the GCN's analog triggers, but I can't remember if the original XBox had them or not. Didn't the Saturn do it before either of the two?

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real

I can't imagine anything that they do on mobile will actually drive console sales if that's what they are thinking.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

khy posted:

Really? I think I am completely insane. Or completely out of touch with what nintendo gamers want these days.

Everyone I know ignores SMB games and goes apeshit over Zelda/Metroid (The amount of hype and the amount of disappointment with Other M was an INCREDIBLE thing to watch). I guess the people I hang out with aren't Nintendo's demographic anymore?

You're not thinking widely enough. While there are definitely specific gaming niches that consider a 2D Mario game to be old hat, there are a TON of other people who go insane for the new Mario games and they are absolutely monster sellers.

I have a collection of a few thousand video games and haven't played New Super Mario Bros. or New Super Mario Bros. Wii (I only own the latter and only bought it last month because it actually went on sale for less than $60 for once), but they are the 7th (30 million) and 10th (27.8 million) best-selling video games of all time, respectively. There are another four Mario platformers in the top 25, as well as two Mario Kart games.

In fact, looking at all 28 games that have sold over 15 million copies, 21 of them are Nintendo properties (there is 1 Sega game [Sonic 1] and the rest are non-Japanese IP's [three GTA's, Minecraft, Skyrim and Call of Duty Black Ops 1]). Say what you will about Nintendo being headstrong but it's not entirely unwarranted when their own games have probably single-handedly sold more copies than every other game publisher combined, at least in the console space.

Every single Zelda and Metroid game are way the hell down the list (Ocarina of Time only sold 7.6 million, and Metroid 1 sold under 4 million).

univbee fucked around with this message at 21:37 on Jan 20, 2014

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one
When the night is calling

Barudak posted:

Microsoft as a whole has a roughly 1.2 Billion annual advertising budget. I don't think their 600 million dollar NFL deal* is part of their ad budget so thats another general purpose advertising block they bought.

We also know the Kinect launch initially got a 500 million dollar ad push. Granted that was without a multi-year contract and such they established in the interim but its likely a good start point.

*Microsoft's home team playing in the Super Bowl the year they sign the deal? CONSPIRACY!

Who is the REAL twelfth man? :tinfoil:

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

ð’» 𒌓ð’‰𒋫 𒆷ð’€𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 ð’®ð’ ð’¾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

Barudak posted:

*Microsoft's home team playing in the Super Bowl the year they sign the deal? CONSPIRACY!

At least they don't have XBOX on the jersey like the Sounders. I am playing FIFA career with an MLS team and it was weird to see xbox ads on my PS4.

I wonder if MS would allow a Sony sponsorship on their game?

Kuuenbu
Nov 19, 2001

Astro7x posted:

Count me out then, I never beat Chapter 9 of story mode.

I am jealous of the people that can snake through that level like it's nothing...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ig1B0doIjTo

At least you made it past Chapter 7.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dZLwM3nyY5g

Toady
Jan 12, 2009

That's the same news conference we've been talking about since Friday.

Supercar Gautier
Jun 10, 2006

I wonder how many more times between now and the 30th a news outlet will take a different snippet from the same Iwata remarks and pass it off as a new story.

Toady
Jan 12, 2009

Looks like WSJ is using an alternate translation.

Previous version posted:

Given the expansion of smart devices, we are naturally studying how smart devices can be used to grow the game-player business. It's not as simple as enabling Mario to move on a smartphone.
versus

WSJ version posted:

The spread of smart devices does not spell the end of game consoles. It's not that simple. It doesn't mean we should put Mario on smartphones.

Reggie Fils-Aime said back in December that they were exploring mini-games on mobile devices as advertising for Nintendo hardware, so Iwata wasn't revealing anything new in that regard.

eric
Apr 27, 2004
Lipstick Apathy

khy posted:

I swear for a two year period every time I went to Walmart/Target/etc. I saw someone buying NSMB when checking out.

PrBacterio
Jul 19, 2000

Papercut posted:

Right, so the Wii U is a generation behind its competitors, unless you consider its competitors to be 360/PS3. Nintendo is just now offering features that have been standard for years, while their competitors are adding stuff like Skype, auto-recording gameplay, PVR functionality. Some of these things might be total garbage, but the average person is going to compare the features and rightfully come to the conclusion that the Wii U is way behind feature-wise.
But the Wii U does have a built-in Skype clone app in its OS? I mean its not literally Skype but demanding that would be rather unfair, seeing how Skype is owned by Microsoft ...

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

khy posted:

Surprisingly you hang around with a group of people with similar tastes who represent a fairly skewed cross-section of the buying public. That is not what is backed up by actual sales data. Even SomethingAwful, as a whole, does not represent an accurate depiction of the buying public because (despite being a fairly varied selection of people), it still trends towards certain demographics and often times can be a poor place to judge actual sales and popularity. It is really, really, really easy to get into an echo chamber effect and assuming that because you are talking to a lot of people who like (or hate) the same thing that this must be a universal opinion.

And this isn't even a case of "this is what Nintendo die-hards want but not the general public." The Nintendo die-hards want Metroid and Star Fox and F-Zero which are not actually the big seller franchises for Nintendo. That is stuff like Animal Crossing these days. The Nintendo games that sell best are their casual family-friendly stuff. Zelda is certainly one of those, mind you, but it is nowhere near the utter behemoth that Mario is.

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 23:23 on Jan 20, 2014

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real

PrBacterio posted:

But the Wii U does have a built-in Skype clone app in its OS? I mean its not literally Skype but demanding that would be rather unfair, seeing how Skype is owned by Microsoft ...

The Wii U might as well has America Online built into the thing, because there would be just as many people I know that use the service that I can communicate with.

PrBacterio
Jul 19, 2000
Right, but that's because nobody has bought the drat thing which means it's just another chicken-and-egg problem. Like I said, seeing how Skype is owned by Microsoft it's not like they could have just put that in and called it a day.

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real

PrBacterio posted:

Right, but that's because nobody has bought the drat thing which means it's just another chicken-and-egg problem. Like I said, seeing how Skype is owned by Microsoft it's not like they could have just put that in and called it a day.

Google Hangouts, Facebook Chat, create an iOS App that communicates between smart phones and Wii U's messaging system... Skype is not the be-all end-all to video chat. But even so, the reason Skype is so popular is because you can access it from anywhere. It's not like you can't use it on Apple products.

Any nobody is going to buy a Wii U for Skype anyway. It's just that the video chat is a completely useless feature with such a small install base. I am not even connected with my friends that actually have a Wii U.

PrBacterio
Jul 19, 2000

Astro7x posted:

Google Hangouts, Facebook Chat, create an iOS App that communicates between smart phones and Wii U's messaging system... Skype is not the be-all end-all to video chat. But even so, the reason Skype is so popular is because you can access it from anywhere. It's not like you can't use it on Apple products.

Any nobody is going to buy a Wii U for Skype anyway. It's just that the video chat is a completely useless feature with such a small install base. I am not even connected with my friends that actually have a Wii U.
True, that's something they could have done and hopefully that announcement they made regarding how they should look into how smartphones are influencing their business will result in something along those lines, though I'm not going to hold my breath :v:

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real

PrBacterio posted:

True, that's something they could have done and hopefully that announcement they made regarding how they should look into how smartphones are influencing their business will result in something along those lines, though I'm not going to hold my breath :v:

Even if they did, it's a nothing announcement that would not drive sales of the Wii U and make them profitable.

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005

PrBacterio posted:

I did not know that, so maybe it is an advertising problem.

Heran Bago
Aug 18, 2006

PrBacterio posted:

Skype is on Apple products too though. Both the OSX kinds and iOS kinds. It gets updates and is one of those apps that really dislikes it if you jailbreak. Linux too.

Papercut posted:

Remember the first Wii U reveal where some kid is stuck in ZombiiU so he hops on Nintendo's not-Twitter and is immediately connected with a friendly grandpa on not-skype who gives him hot tips? I'm kind of amazed that a system like that could exist without being overrun with exhibitionists. It's the kind of thing that should be marketed, yeah, but you don't really want to tell people they are a few clicks away from some random kid's tablet screen. Especially if you are Nintendo and you shut down swapnote for pretty much that reason.

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real

Papercut posted:

I posted this a few pages ago, but it's relevant again, with friendly grandpa too

http://www.ispot.tv/ad/7A6l/nintendo-wii-u

Heran Bago
Aug 18, 2006

Astro7x posted:

I posted this a few pages ago, but it's relevant again, with friendly grandpa too

That's a good Wii U commercial. Nice grandpa and everything.

Now hurry up on those promised PC and smartphone versions so I can exchange nintweets and ninvoice calls with mu Wii U gamer friend!

Pixeltendo
Mar 2, 2012

Toady posted:

Looks like WSJ is using an alternate translation.

versus

Reggie Fils-Aime said back in December that they were exploring mini-games on mobile devices as advertising for Nintendo hardware, so Iwata wasn't revealing anything new in that regard.

I could see them doing wario ware styled apps to promote their upcoming games.

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

Get iNiS to do Elite Beat Agents on iOS or something. They have experience on iOS, but Demons' Score was just embarrassing.

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008
How well would that even work? Your ham sausage fingers won't be anywhere near as accurate as a stylus, and your finger/hand will end up obscuring a lot of the screen.

It'd be really difficult to convert any games over to a phone. The touchscreen interface on phones is actually really awful for most specific uses, it's just flexible and convenient so it's worth it for general use. Every time I've used on screen joysticks or buttons it made me want to punch a baby.

PrBacterio
Jul 19, 2000
Something like Phantom Hourglass might work, I guess. Still doesn't address the issue how any of this is supposed to get people to buy more of Nintendo's actual consoles, though.

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine

Astro7x posted:

The advertisement lacks games, like it comes off as a Roku Box or something. It doesn't even mention any of the games that came out.

Zain
Dec 6, 2009

It's only forever, not long at all
I've seen a lot of people talk about how Nintendo has to make really good games, but they already do. The problem isn't the games cause both the Wii and WiiU have some pretty awesome games. It's just the masses aren't told which games to purchase. Let's be honest here, there are plenty of great games that nobody knows about or look at because it's not the AAA stuff. I know at least PC gamers got tired of their bullshit and the surge of Indie games is because of that. Nintendo has always had those "Great games that nobody knows about or played." Which is a curse for sure, but to say the consoles don't have the games is an outright lie.

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine

Zain posted:

I've seen a lot of people talk about how Nintendo has to make really good games, but they already do. The problem isn't the games cause both the Wii and WiiU have some pretty awesome games. It's just the masses aren't told which games to purchase. Let's be honest here, there are plenty of great games that nobody knows about or look at because it's not the AAA stuff. I know at least PC gamers got tired of their bullshit and the surge of Indie games is because of that. Nintendo has always had those "Great games that nobody knows about or played." Which is a curse for sure, but to say the consoles don't have the games is an outright lie.

I dunno personally I've got pretty much everything on the Wii-U that was deemed worthwhile. The games themselves just really don't hold up that well past the 15 hour mark in many cases, or they're beaten in that same amount of time.

In comparison, Atlus games in many cases can make it to the 50 hour mark no issue. And Atlus doesn't advertise anything ever.

waffle
May 12, 2001
HEH

Zain posted:

I don't know, most of the non-AAA games that some people love are pretty divisive (W101, Lego City, ZombiU). I mean SM3DW is fantastic, and Rayman Legends and Pikmin 3 are good, but those are closer to what I'd consider AAA and well-advertised (well, at least as well-advertised as the Wii U itself).

waffle fucked around with this message at 01:19 on Jan 21, 2014

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

I prefer the classification of "summer blockbuster" to "AAA" because it is more accurate. I doubt Rayman, Mario, or Pikmin had the kind of ridiculous budget that a COD game has. There's no doubt Mario is a big title but Rayman didn't even sell that great the last time until they slashed the price, and Pikmin is one of Nintendo's lesser franchises.

I didn't see an ad for any Wii U game that wasn't on Cartoon Network though (it was for Pikmin). I've only seen ads when they're posted in this thread.

The 7th Guest fucked around with this message at 01:23 on Jan 21, 2014

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

The Taint Reaper posted:

I dunno personally I've got pretty much everything on the Wii-U that was deemed worthwhile. The games themselves just really don't hold up that well past the 15 hour mark in many cases, or they're beaten in that same amount of time.

In comparison, Atlus games in many cases can make it to the 50 hour mark no issue. And Atlus doesn't advertise anything ever.

That's a pretty ingenuous comparison. A platformer doesn't last as long as a full-length cutscene-heavy JRPG? I'm shocked.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

StevenM
Nov 6, 2011

ImpAtom posted:

That's a pretty ingenuous comparison. A platformer doesn't last as long as a full-length cutscene-heavy JRPG? I'm shocked.

He's not comparing replay value, he's saying his interest in the Nintendo games drops off much quicker.

• Locked thread