Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

YamiNoSenshi
Jan 19, 2010

Mico posted:

I am always in need of more stupid transitions.

I've had this transition plugin bookmarked for the longest time in case I really needed a scratch card wipe. It does, sadly, lack star wipe.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nidoking
Jan 27, 2009

I fought the lava, and the lava won.
Since we're talking transitions, here's one I wrote up ages ago and just don't recall ever having occasion to post. Remember those sitcoms where they used to do flashbacks by zooming in until the screen was a pixelated mess, then zooming back out into the new scene? This is sort of like that, but without the zooming - you could combine it with a zoom easily enough, I suppose, but I don't know how that would look. This is a simple function that just resizes the clip to make it look pixelated, then resizes back to the original size with the giant pixels. The optional parameters are there to adjust the effect to work better with your specific clip. "left" and "right" are obviously the before and after clips, "numframes" is how many frames of each clip to use in the transition, "minratio" optionally sets the minimum resize (aim for as close to 4 pixels in each dimension as you can get for the best effect - too big and it won't get very pixely, too small and it'll sit at 4x4 for a noticeable time), and "rate" is an exponential factor to control how quickly the effect happens - higher numbers decrease the amount of time the image just looks blurry at the start instead of properly pixelated. It works best for less than a few seconds' worth of numframes. Let me know if there are any problems with it, and I'll try to improve it.

code:
function BlockFadeHelper(clip c, int numframes, int framenum, float minratio, float rate)
{
  ratio = (abs ((numframes / 2) - framenum) / float(numframes) * 2 * (1 - minratio)) + minratio
  ratio = Pow(ratio, rate)
  retclip = c.PointResize(max(ceil(c.Width * ratio), 4), max(ceil(c.Height * ratio), 4))
  retclip = retclip.PointResize(c.Width, c.Height)
  return retclip
}

function BlockFade(clip left, clip right, int numframes, float "minratio", float "rate")
{
  rate = Default(rate, 1)
  # minratio must be between 0 and 1
  minratio = Default(minratio, 0.1)
  minratio = max(0, minratio)
  minratio = min(1, minratio)
  minratio = Pow(minratio, 1.0 / rate)
  # Make sure we're not trying to fade over more frames than we have
  numframes = min(left.framecount - 1, right.framecount - 1, numframes)
  firstclip = left.Trim(0, left.framecount - numframes - 1)
  lastclip = right.Trim(numframes + 1, 0)
  midclip = left.Trim(left.framecount - numframes, 0) ++ right.Trim(0, numframes)
  midclip = Animate(midclip, 0, numframes * 2, "BlockFadeHelper", numframes * 2, 0, minratio, rate, numframes * 2, numframes * 2, minratio, rate)
  return firstclip ++ midclip ++ lastclip
}

Dongattack
Dec 20, 2006

by Cyrano4747

frozentreasure posted:

He's just admitted that he doesn't care that he's being an rear end in a top hat, can somebody with plat report him already?

"Thank you, but this thread has already been reported recently!"

To add to the Shadowplay and desync question, I don't know if this helps you at all, but I have no desync issues. Maybe its a hardware/software combo on your end? I have a GTX 770 if that is relevant.

Edit: Anyone know how to make Shadowplay record one single large file instead of multiple small ones again? Seems it something they changed it to do in the latest patch and its awful.

Dongattack fucked around with this message at 20:48 on Jan 18, 2014

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

eVeN I KnOw wHaT CoRnEr gAs iS
I'm a little curious about Shadowplay myself; I just picked up a new card and I thought I'd give it a try. Manual recording seems a little odd - in that it's set to work but doesn't seem to work despite pushing the buttons. Shadowplay saved a 5 minute chunk just as designed, though (and I see I can set that up to 20 minutes, so, neat)

No desync that I noticed. Just a little compression around the edges compared to playing the game, but that's not all bad. Youtube will inevitably crush it even more, so nobody will ever know.

Color Printer
May 9, 2011

You get used to it. I don't
even see the code. All I see
is Ipecac, Scapular, Polyphemus...

What's the easiest way to load an MP4 file into Avisynth? I found ffmpegsource and FFMS2 in the OP but I can't find anything telling me how I'm supposed to actually install or use it. Help.

Alternatively: I just want to slap some Aegisub subtitles onto a video and maybe also resize it. (If I can just put the subtitles on it, I think I can find a way to eliminate the need for video resizing)

Admiral H. Curtiss
May 11, 2010

I think there are a bunch of people who can create trailing images. I know some who could do this as if they were just going out for a stroll.
http://ffmpegsource.googlecode.com/svn/trunk/doc/ffms2-avisynth.html

Load the plugin itself as usual, either by figuring out how the Avisynth auto-plugin-load directory works or with LoadPlugin()

Color Printer
May 9, 2011

You get used to it. I don't
even see the code. All I see
is Ipecac, Scapular, Polyphemus...

Admiral H. Curtiss posted:

http://ffmpegsource.googlecode.com/svn/trunk/doc/ffms2-avisynth.html

Load the plugin itself as usual, either by figuring out how the Avisynth auto-plugin-load directory works or with LoadPlugin()

Figured it out with this and help from Twitter, apparently I never actually properly reinstalled Avisynth after my hard drive crashed. :shepicide:

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

Dongattack posted:

Edit: Anyone know how to make Shadowplay record one single large file instead of multiple small ones again? Seems it something they changed it to do in the latest patch and its awful.

It looks to me like it's recording up to the FAT32 4GB limit, but I did some cursory searching and it looks like this is nVidia half-baking the feature - apparently, according to the official forums (the sacrifices I make for this thread) it's an issue on Windows 7 and not Windows 8 because of the muxer it uses to make the MP4s. Windows default instead of bringing their own, or something?

the official line, by the way, is this:

quote:

If you prefer to save every single moment, enable Manual Mode with the rebindable Alt + F9 hotkey, which acts like traditional gameplay recorders, saving your entire session to disk. Windows 7 files cap out at 4GB per file due to OS limitations, but on Windows 8 and Windows 8.1, file size is only limited by available hard disk space, enabling hours of footage to be recorded to a single file.

I uh, am skeptical about that.

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

Used GoonCam to make this gif, but it's too large.

What GoonCam compression/resolution settings should I use to make my gifs smaller without losing much quality?

discworld is all I read
Apr 7, 2009

DAIJOUBU!! ... Daijoubu ?? ?

Mortimer posted:

What GoonCam compression/resolution settings should I use to make my gifs smaller without losing much quality?
Usually I like to run the gifs I get from gooncam/gifcam through GIMP to optimize it a tad bit more; it does lose some quality but it'll give you something smaller without butchering it too much:

MEAT!
Mar 18, 2008

Mortimer posted:

There ya go. Under 2 MBs. I'm preparing a vid on gifs, so I'll go over optimization in that.

Dongattack
Dec 20, 2006

by Cyrano4747

Psion posted:

It looks to me like it's recording up to the FAT32 4GB limit, but I did some cursory searching and it looks like this is nVidia half-baking the feature - apparently, according to the official forums (the sacrifices I make for this thread) it's an issue on Windows 7 and not Windows 8 because of the muxer it uses to make the MP4s. Windows default instead of bringing their own, or something?

the official line, by the way, is this:

D: Hope they wake up soon and get some proper stuff for Windows 7 in there soon then, cause i'm skipping Windows 8. Oh well, sticking with Fraps for now then.

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

I think they'll keep working on it. It's only a couple months old.

I did finally get manual capture working and it will continuously write successive 4GB files (about 11 minutes of footage each) for however long your session is, and the performance hit on the rest of my system basically didn't exist. Getting avisynth to stitch them all together is, while annoying, not impossible. I'm not seeing any desync so a pretty straightforward AlignedSplice() ought to do it.

I certainly won't pretend it's a great option but it's a free option that works ...mostly.

Psion fucked around with this message at 00:38 on Jan 19, 2014

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

2020 is the year of linux on the desktop, bro
Fun Shoe
Here's my dumb transition.

Example:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1UryuSezgLs

code:
function _MaskZoomInWorker(clip a, clip b, clip mask_, float t) {
    w = Max(mask_.Width * t * 5, 4)
    h = Max(mask_.Height * t * 5, 4)

x = int((a.Width - w) / 2)
    y = int((a.Height - h) / 2)

mask_scaled = mask_.BilinearResize(int(w), int(h))
    plate = BlankClip(a)
    mask_plated = plate.Layer(mask_scaled, "add", 256, x, y)

b_masked = b.Mask(mask_plated)
    return a.Layer(b_masked, "add")
}

function MaskZoomIn(clip a, clip b, clip mask_, int duration) {
    a = a.Trim(0, duration).ConvertToRGB32()
    b = b.Trim(0, duration).ConvertToRGB32()
    mask_ = mask_.Trim(0, duration).ConvertToRGB32()

anim = a.Animate(0, duration, "_MaskZoomInWorker", b, mask_, 0.0, b, mask_, 1.0)
    anim = anim.ConvertToYV12()
    return anim
}
Use like:

code:
giraffe1 = ImageSource("giraffe1.jpg", fps=60, end=240).ConvertToYV12()
giraffe2 = ImageSource("giraffe2.jpg", fps=60, end=240).ConvertToYV12()

star_mask = ImageSource("StarMask.png", fps=60, end=240)

wow_such_a_video = giraffe1 ++ MaskZoomIn(giraffe1, giraffe2, star_mask, 60) ++ giraffe2
giraffe1 and giraffe2 can be any videos you want. StarMask.png:

All the masks used in this video to give you ideas: http://imgur.com/a/2rujD

If anybody has any questions or problems using this, go ahead and ask them.

Skippy Granola
Sep 3, 2011

It's not what it looks like.
I was hoping you guys could give me some pointers on a fairly ambitious video project.

Some background: After Sang-Froid is wrapped up and maybe a brief break, I'd like to LP Viva Pinata. At the start of each episode, I was thinking of doing a pinata-related parody of the opening credits to some TV shows I like.

I figured this'd be a good chance to learn some new editing tricks and up my game.

So my question is, how would I go about taking raw footage of a pinata character and masking out an animation like the black and white character clips in the opening to 30 Rock:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pzK2B-gSCYk

So what I was thinking is just taking stills from various parts of the island, and taking zoomed-in animations of certain pinatas, masking out the character, desaturating it to greyscale, and overlaying the two.

I have access to Premiere and AVIsynth, if there are multiple methods.

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

Fun Shoe
After Effects would be the easiest. You'd have to go through frame by frame and build a mask for the clips. I've done a sloppy job for this in a few hours in After Effects, it's not too difficult, just really tedious and time consuming.

The designer that did those opening credits also cheated a bit by applying a black drop shadow or glow around the frame, which allows you to be a lot more sloppy with the mask and have it still look good:

Look at the path around that hair at the bottom. So sloppy. Still looks OK in motion, though.

Nidoking
Jan 27, 2009

It's possible to have Avisynth make the mask for you automatically if you have a clip of the character model you want as well as a clip of the same background without the character in it. If that's the case, I can provide a walkthrough for how to extract a clip of the character alone, and it should be pretty easy to grayscale and overlay it from there. It's rather a special case, though, and probably won't apply to most games.

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

Alright, this is reaching past my avisynth abilities and google abilities, so:

I have five videos, all raw files. I want to stitch together clips from each one as a highlight reel. I tried alignsplice and unalignedsplice, but there are framerate differences which apparently stop this - or at least, I get framerate does not match errors.

So I guess A: how can I fix that, or B: since ChangeFPS(30) is at the end of each script for Youtube purposes, can I write a script which uses either splice on .avs files instead of the actual videos themselves? Because then I can just do per-video trimming and fadein/out, then just wad them all up at the end and encode as one big video.

frozentreasure
Nov 13, 2012

~

Psion posted:

Alright, this is reaching past my avisynth abilities and google abilities, so:

I have five videos, all raw files. I want to stitch together clips from each one as a highlight reel. I tried alignsplice and unalignedsplice, but there are framerate differences which apparently stop this - or at least, I get framerate does not match errors.

So I guess A: how can I fix that, or B: since ChangeFPS(30) is at the end of each script for Youtube purposes, can I write a script which uses either splice on .avs files instead of the actual videos themselves? Because then I can just do per-video trimming and fadein/out, then just wad them all up at the end and encode as one big video.

I'm a little confused; if the frame rates aren't consistent, doesn't doing ChangeFPS at the start not solve the issue? Is something like this not working?

code:
video1 = AVISource(path).ChangeFPS(30)
video2 = AVISource(path).ChangeFPS(30)
video3 = AVISource(path).ChangeFPS(30)
video4 = AVISource(path).ChangeFPS(30)
video5 = AVISource(path).ChangeFPS(30)

highlight1 = Trim(video1, start, end)
…
highlight394 = Trim(video5, start, end)

highlightreel = Dissolve(highlight1, highlight2, length)
highlightreel = Dissolve(highlightreel, highlight3, length)
…
highlightreel = Dissolve(highlightreel, highlight394, length)

highlightreel = ConvertToYV12(highlightreel)

return highlightreel

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

frozentreasure posted:

I'm a little confused; if the frame rates aren't consistent, doesn't doing ChangeFPS at the start not solve the issue? Is something like this not working?

You know, that didn't occur to me. I now feel dumb. I'll give that a shot, thanks. :)

I normally put ChangeFPS at the end of the avs by habit and therefore didn't even think about putting it at the start.

e: that worked perfectly, thanks a lot.

Psion fucked around with this message at 05:31 on Jan 20, 2014

Nidoking
Jan 27, 2009

Psion posted:

You know, that didn't occur to me. I now feel dumb. I'll give that a shot, thanks. :)

I normally put ChangeFPS at the end of the avs by habit and therefore didn't even think about putting it at the start.

I usually run all of my videos through a ChangeFPS, and any color conversion or resize functions, right at the start just to make sure there are no mismatches along the way. If you write a function at the top of your script and call it on every input, you guarantee consistency.

timp
Sep 19, 2007

Everything is in my control
Lipstick Apathy
This is kind of a long post...I figured being more detailed rather than less would be helpful to diagnose the problem, but feel free to skip to the very end for my main question.

I'm trying to stream N64 gameplay through Twitch and a friend of mine who's way better with computers than I am has been helping me get everything set up via Skype and Teamviewer. I'm using the Avermedia DVD EZmaker usb gold to capture and splitting the video output between a TV and the capture card, which worked just fine. I was able to see gameplay on both the TV and the monitor. When I went live I was experiencing massive skipping and lag, which we decided was due to the fact that I have a laughable about of RAM in the laptop I've repurposed strictly for streaming. The hard drive is virtually wiped except for all current drivers and Windows updates. The laptop is a pretty old Dell Inspiron 9300 with Windows XP, currently it has 512 MB of RAM but soon it will have 2 GB, the maximum allowed for that model. Also, I was using Xsplit as the streaming program, though there's no reason I couldn't use some other program.

So I've just been waiting for my RAM to ship. In the meantime I decided to install my webcam to use as a face cam while playing. That went smoothly, but when I decided to retest my capture card all I got was a blue screen. Audio still comes through just fine; in fact, the lag from the computer audio output to the TV video output is practically non-existent now. (though I plan on splitting between capture and TV down the road if necessary). My friend and I have tried reinstalling the capture card drivers, uninstalling the Logitech webcam drivers, double checking that all Windows updates are installed, cycling power through everything, checking every connection, just about EVERYTHING...but we can't get the video to show up on the laptop monitor anymore, just the blue screen.

Except in one instance, and this is where poo poo gets weird. Anytime we mess with video output options, or even just open the settings on the capture card and then close the window, the capture video starts working for about half a second, in full motion and everything, and then it disappears. My friend and I are completely dumbfounded as to what this means.

Here's all of my equipment in list format.

Console: N64
Capture card: AverMedia DVD EZMaker USB Gold
Computer: Dell Inspiron 9300, currently 512 MB of RAM, upgrading to 2 GB
Operating System: Windows XP
Streaming program: Xsplit
Webcam: Logitech Easy/Cool (something like that, can't exactly remember and I'm at work now)
Streaming website: twitch.tv

SUMMARY: My capture card was working a few days ago and now all it gives me is a blue screen. I'm totally at my wits end and so is my friend. What's going on here?!

Nidoking
Jan 27, 2009

I'd recommend doing a System Restore first, if you have that option - go back to a configuration that you know worked and start from there.

When it comes to diagnosing capture device problems, I tend to start with VirtualDub's capture program. That will let you play with the device's source, compression and encoding options, and lots of other stuff that might help you figure out what's going on.

Xenoveritas
May 9, 2010
Dinosaur Gum
As I recall, the N64 is from that wonderful generation of consoles that outputs a 240p signal, AKA "a nonstandard video signal that happened to work with most analog TVs but is hit-or-miss with capture devices." So the problem may not be the capture device. See if you can connect a different source (such as a more recent console like a PS2/Xbox/GameCube or PS3/Xbox360/Wii) and if that works.

I've tried capturing from a PS2 running in PlayStation mode (where it outputs the same nonstandard 240p signal) and it's hit-or-miss at best with actually getting something.

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

Fun Shoe
TV signals have no standards. You just have to emit scanlines every once in a while. Instead of interlacing even/odd fields though, N64 and other early consoles simply always pushed even fields to the display.

Most digitizing hardware should be able to deal with this.

timp
Sep 19, 2007

Everything is in my control
Lipstick Apathy

Nidoking posted:

I'd recommend doing a System Restore first, if you have that option - go back to a configuration that you know worked and start from there.

When it comes to diagnosing capture device problems, I tend to start with VirtualDub's capture program. That will let you play with the device's source, compression and encoding options, and lots of other stuff that might help you figure out what's going on.

Good suggestion, we'll play around with this tonight.

Xenoveritas posted:

As I recall, the N64 is from that wonderful generation of consoles that outputs a 240p signal, AKA "a nonstandard video signal that happened to work with most analog TVs but is hit-or-miss with capture devices." So the problem may not be the capture device. See if you can connect a different source (such as a more recent console like a PS2/Xbox/GameCube or PS3/Xbox360/Wii) and if that works.

I've tried capturing from a PS2 running in PlayStation mode (where it outputs the same nonstandard 240p signal) and it's hit-or-miss at best with actually getting something.

Suspicious Dish posted:

TV signals have no standards. You just have to emit scanlines every once in a while. Instead of interlacing even/odd fields though, N64 and other early consoles simply always pushed even fields to the display.

Yeah, I don't think it's the fact that it's an N64, since it worked just fine with all the same hardware last week. I just can't believe that opening the video out menu makes it work for a quick moment. That's the part that really confuses me. Either work or don't work, damnit! :(

Xenoveritas
May 9, 2010
Dinosaur Gum

Suspicious Dish posted:

That's what I thought until I actually tried it. My (AverMedia, incidentally) capture card definitely did not like the PS2 when it was running a PlayStation game. I don't know what it is about the older console video signals, but it definitely fucks with capture cards. I think I was able to get it to work something like one out of four attempts.

I also tried capturing a SNES using composite, which didn't work. The only way I was able to get a signal from the SNES was to use an RF adapter.

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

Fun Shoe
Well, it's an AverMedia card.

Mico
Jan 29, 2011

A billion dollars.
Avermedia's fuckin weird about that. I've gotten my SNES to work but not my N64.

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

Fun Shoe
I got my N64 to work with the AverMedia card, before I moved. Now, after I moved, it won't budge.

Invisible Ted
Aug 24, 2011

hhhehehe
So I'm trying to crop the same area in 28 images using Irfanviw's batch functions. However, following the guide in the OP, it is simply not working. There's no change between the source image and the result, regardless of what coordinates I input for the crop function. Is there either a more updated/in depth guide to batch cropping in Irfanview or another, more basic tool I can use?

EntranceJew
Nov 5, 2009

Invisible Ted posted:

So I'm trying to crop the same area in 28 images using Irfanviw's batch functions. However, following the guide in the OP, it is simply not working. There's no change between the source image and the result, regardless of what coordinates I input for the crop function. Is there either a more updated/in depth guide to batch cropping in Irfanview or another, more basic tool I can use?

If you import each image as a layer in GIMP which can be done through Import As Layers or dragging and dropping images into the layers area, you can do a crop on the canvas and it'll impact all layers. You can then use this tutorial to easily export each layer as an image again.

Admiral H. Curtiss
May 11, 2010

I think there are a bunch of people who can create trailing images. I know some who could do this as if they were just going out for a stroll.

Invisible Ted
Aug 24, 2011

hhhehehe

EntranceJew posted:

If you import each image as a layer in GIMP which can be done through Import As Layers or dragging and dropping images into the layers area, you can do a crop on the canvas and it'll impact all layers. You can then use this tutorial to easily export each layer as an image again.

Thanks! However, since I've posted that I learned that the preview in irfanview doesn't work for me, and by blindly toying with the start corner I got it to work.

Vorgen
Mar 5, 2006

Party Membership is a Democracy, The Weave is Not.

A fledgling vampire? How about a dragon, or some half-kobold druids? Perhaps a spontaneous sex change? Anything that can happen, will happen the results will be beyond entertaining.

Is there still a rule that the max size a screenshot in an SSLP can be is 800x600? Because the last time I asked was about 2 years ago, and I'm at a good place to redo all of my fancy scripts and stuff if I can get a bigger image size.

gatz
Oct 19, 2012

Love 'em and leave 'em
Groom 'em and feed 'em
Cid Shinjuku
1024x768 is not common, but acceptable today. Note that the LP archive's max size is 900 pixels wide for some reason. If you submit your LP to be archived and the screenshots are bigger than that, Baldurk (or you, not sure who) will have to resize them.

VVVV
You heard the man

gatz fucked around with this message at 19:26 on Jan 24, 2014

baldurk
Jun 21, 2005

If you won't try to find coherence in the world, have the courtesy of becoming apathetic.
900px wide at most, but the height doesn't matter.

ziasquinn
Jan 1, 2006

Fallen Rib
If I'm screen capturing with virtualdub, should I be recording game audio with it as well? Or should I be using another program (like audacity) to record it so if there is syncing issues I can fix it later?

The workflow diagram makes it sound like I'd be able to correct any syncing issues before the final pass, but I think that's just me reading too much into it.

Here are my timing settings in virtualdub, which I tried to mirror Maxwell's settings: [http://salp.wikia.com/wiki/Capturing_Video_with_VirtualDub]

It looked like I had about a half a second delay/desync though. I guess it would be an ok work around to record the game audio with audacity and merge them later?

Nidoking
Jan 27, 2009

If there are syncing issues and you have the game audio captured with the video, you can still fix it later. I have no idea why you would think that you couldn't. It's possible to export the audio from the file, do whatever you want to it, and then reimport. You can also fix certain kinds of desync during the editing of the video. The only thing that tends to interfere with resyncing (in cases where it would otherwise be possible to do so) is if you record live commentary along with the game audio and don't separate them into different files. I think it's actually MORE likely that the tracks will desync if you use separate programs to capture them, because each program would be unaware of the other program's unique hiccups or delays.

If you do capture game audio in VDub, I'd check out those Resync settings - they seem to be there for the specific purpose of minimizing desync. Do several test recordings with each setting to see which one seems most reliable.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ziasquinn
Jan 1, 2006

Fallen Rib
Ok thanks a ton. Yeah I don't know why I thought I wouldn't be able to resync, probably because I was up too late last night.