Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Propaganda Hour
Aug 25, 2008

after editing wikipedia as a joke for 16 years, i ve convinced myself that homer simpson's japanese name translates to the "The beer goblin"
Patrick is level 85? Holy poo poo. First time I beat the game I was mid 40s

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RoadCrewWorker
Nov 19, 2007

camels aren't so great

Propaganda Hour posted:

Was that a deliberate restriction on your part? Usually people are 50+ when they beat O&S.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Kung Fu Fist gently caress posted:

Iraqouis man makes deals with and helps out white settlers, which ultimately leads to the destruction of his people? :raise:

Actually pretty loving apt if you ask me.

But he's not making deals, he runs that settlement thing, he's actively choosing to gently caress his brothers and sisters to get some extra pelts. It's not some grand commentary on how lovely the white man deals were, it's Conner being terrible and no one really acknowledges it.

Propaganda Hour
Aug 25, 2008

after editing wikipedia as a joke for 16 years, i ve convinced myself that homer simpson's japanese name translates to the "The beer goblin"

RoadCrewWorker posted:

Was that a deliberate restriction on your part? Usually people are 50+ when they beat O&S.

Not really? I just didn't level up a lot and put much more points into leveling up multiple sets of gear. It was my first time playing through it, and I did it with very little help. I think I beat O+S at level 30.

It took a few times.

Depths
Apr 15, 2009

SENPAI

Hakkesshu posted:

Haha, gently caress everyone in the chat for constantly giving Patrick poo poo about Dark Souls. Vinny spent like an hour and a half on that boss.

People whining about Dark souls plays are the worst nerds.

Dodoman
Feb 26, 2009

A moment of laxity
A lifetime of regret
Lipstick Apathy
I must be the only person who likes the voice work in Dark Souls.

cronox2
Jul 24, 2010

woah, you look
REALLY pissed off...
Why do the cat monsters have the same screams as the Quake 1 enemies. That's hilarious.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!
What's he doing now?

Propaganda Hour
Aug 25, 2008

Mordiceius posted:

What's he doing now?

I think he skipped Sif and is going back to kill him

Wiseblood
Dec 31, 2000

Since he did the DLC first and rescued him, he should get the alternate cutscene at the start.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!

Propaganda Hour posted:

I think he skipped Sif and is going back to kill him

Oh poo poo. So he still has New Londo.

Propaganda Hour
Aug 25, 2008

Mordiceius posted:

Oh poo poo. So he still has New Londo.

I'm so used to New Londo being completed by speedrunners that I have no idea how long it should take anymore. His build will make 4 kings a piece of cake, though.

lesbian baphomet
Nov 30, 2011

Dodoman posted:

I like it as well. They hired a british radio team, so it's kinda cheesy and overacted but still much better than most games.

cronox2
Jul 24, 2010

woah, you look
REALLY pissed off...
Patrick's an rear end in a top hat.

because Sif is one of the saddest characters of Dark Souls and that was some uncalled for taunting there at the end

Someone should show these guys all of VaatiVidya's lore videos sometime.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

This is making me want to go back to Dark Souls. I beat it long before the Artorias stuff was released, but I got the PC version recently. Such a good game.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

cronox2 posted:

because Sif is one of the saddest characters of Dark Souls and that was some uncalled for taunting there at the end

The basic story of almost everyone in Dark Souls is "They went on a journey, became corrupted, and got murdered" or "They went on a journey and someone else who was corrupted murdered them."

Grondoth
Feb 18, 2011

Propaganda Hour posted:

You were low, actually. I spent a lot of time looking up the levels people were at, because the first time I played the game I wanted to be summoned by other people a bunch and the connections between players weren't working well. People usually end up finishing close to their 80's.

Propaganda Hour
Aug 25, 2008

Grondoth posted:

You were low, actually. I spent a lot of time looking up the levels people were at, because the first time I played the game I wanted to be summoned by other people a bunch and the connections between players weren't working well. People usually end up finishing close to their 80's.

Yeah, I'm seeing that now. Patrick still has a ways to go and I bet he'll beat the game in the mid 90s.

VDay
Jul 2, 2003

I'm Pacman Jones!

cronox2 posted:

Someone should show these guys all of VaatiVidya's lore videos sometime.

EpicNameBro's are fantastic as well. I always knew about the 'story in item descriptions' stuff, but for whatever reason the first time I played the game I figured that stuff would be like 90% bullshit fan speculation. I never realized how much concrete lore is in the game until I watched an ENB video about it and saw how much stuff in the game actually fits together to form a really cool, cohesive picture while still leaving a bunch of stuff up in the air to speculate about. Forgot who said it or where I saw it, but someone described Dark Souls as the best story never told once, and I have to agree. You can go down a nice, deep lore hole once you start looking into what the deal is with all the bosses/characters that you fight/meet.

randombattle
Oct 16, 2008

This hand of mine shines and roars! It's bright cry tells me to grasp victory!

Mordiceius posted:

The basic story of almost everyone in Dark Souls is "They went on a journey, became corrupted, and got murdered" or "They went on a journey and someone else who was corrupted murdered them."

Sif's story is exactly the same as the Boss from MGS3. Loyalty to the end.

Automata 10 Pack
Jun 21, 2007

Ten games published by Automata, on one cassette
I guess EpicNameBro is working on the strategy guide for Dark Souls 2. And he says it's better than 1 so... I hope he's right?

Wiseblood
Dec 31, 2000

OK, maybe Patrick is a little OP. He's tearing through these ghosts like nothing.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

He should have been through here a while ago, it's no surprise. The Demon Ruins will be even easier I imagine, though I'm looking forward to his reaction to the enemies there.

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Now who looks even dumber?

Beef Witch

Dodoman posted:

What? I thought the voice work in Dark and Demons Souls was universally lauded. It's just so depressing and appropriate and unique for a very Japanese company to go straight to English instead of translating anything from Japanese.

lesbian baphomet
Nov 30, 2011

Mutation posted:

I guess EpicNameBro is working on the strategy guide for Dark Souls 2. And he says it's better than 1 so... I hope he's right?

I wouldn't recommend that strategy guide at all, then, but good for him I guess.

Plus, playing with a strategy guide kinda destroys some of the fun of a Souls game in the first place.

RoadCrewWorker
Nov 19, 2007

camels aren't so great
Who buys strategy guides anyway, grandmas who've never heard of a wiki? Or the people copying stuff into a wiki?

I hope the job application test for the VAs was and is just "okay, gives us your best sinister 'Heh Heh Heh Heh'".

RoadCrewWorker fucked around with this message at 00:18 on Jan 21, 2014

AngryBooch
Sep 26, 2009
By the time I play Dark Souls 2 on PC all the mystery will be gone. :smith:

Randallteal
May 7, 2006

The tears of time

RoadCrewWorker posted:

Who buys strategy guides anyway, grandma's who've never heard of a wiki? Or the people copying stuff into a wiki?

Probably people who want to be in a position to gank newbies as soon as possible.

Automata 10 Pack
Jun 21, 2007

Ten games published by Automata, on one cassette

MoonwalkInvincible posted:

I wouldn't recommend that strategy guide at all, then, but good for him I guess.

Plus, playing with a strategy guide kinda destroys some of the fun of a Souls game in the first place.
Maybe he's doing the lore sections? gently caress if I know.

edit: the appropriate guide for Dark Souls 2 will be the wiki for the first week of the game, where half the info is baseless speculation and rumors. Really hope the PC version comes out quickly after, where there's still some mystery.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Wiseblood posted:

OK, maybe Patrick is a little OP. He's tearing through these ghosts like nothing.

He's way over-leveled for this area and Dark Souls doesn't scale enemies.

RoadCrewWorker
Nov 19, 2007

camels aren't so great
I don't have a problem avoiding Dark Souls 2 online info (unless people go 'Patches Dies On Page 2932' drive-by spoiler which i can't imagine) but i think i'll skip a few bombcasts if they jump into the game before i get my hands on it, just in case Brad is his usual self.

Propaganda Hour
Aug 25, 2008

The ring of artorias claims another victim :darksouls:

Wiseblood
Dec 31, 2000

I'm surprised. Usually that stairwell is covered in "Need ring" messages.

lesbian baphomet
Nov 30, 2011

Patrick is definitely overleveled, but the ghosts in New Londo are designed to be really tough if you try to clear them early or fairly easy if you try to clear them when you can actually access the boss. If you've beaten Ornstein and Smough then you're supposed to be killing them all in 1-2 hits, unless your weapon is particularly small.

RoadCrewWorker
Nov 19, 2007

camels aren't so great

Wiseblood posted:

I'm surprised. Usually that stairwell is covered in "Need ring" messages.
He might be playing offline in order to avoid zealous assholes trying to invade? e: actually just remembered his tweet indicating otherwise. So i'll just go with "GFWL is a piece of poo poo".

But yeah, that's a classic 4 kings move.

RoadCrewWorker fucked around with this message at 00:32 on Jan 21, 2014

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

I got the Dark Souls strategy guide when the game came out - the hardcover one. It is one great strategy guide. I never used it on my first through, though. But it is filled with lots of info on the game. The upgrade charts are especially useful once you commit to upgrading a weapon to maximum.

Are they going to patch Dark Souls to remove the GFWL once it goes down? I've been thinking about trying out the PC version before the second game comes out.

Kung Fu Fist Fuck
Aug 9, 2009

RoadCrewWorker posted:

I don't have a problem avoiding Dark Souls 2 online info (unless people go 'Patches Dies On Page 2932' drive-by spoiler which i can't imagine) but i think i'll skip a few bombcasts if they jump into the game before i get my hands on it, just in case Brad is his usual self.

Might wanna skip reading this thread too since a quarter of the posts are Souls related.

Propaganda Hour
Aug 25, 2008

Jimbot posted:

Are they going to patch Dark Souls to remove the GFWL once it goes down? I've been thinking about trying out the PC version before the second game comes out.

No one knows. I would get to playing it sooner rather than later.

Crummelhorn
Nov 3, 2010
I don't think Ryu is a wizard. My roommate does. How do you guys weigh in?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Noxville
Dec 7, 2003

He's making real short work of Four Kings.

• Locked thread