Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pat Clements
Feb 10, 2008
Simmons' piece about the editorial team's thought process (or lack thereof) is up now.

e: Now that I'm working my way through the piece I'm not sure Simmons completely gets it. But here's a quote:

quote:

We made one massive mistake. I have thought about it for nearly three solid days, and I’ve run out of ways to kick myself about it. How did it never occur to any of us? How? How could we ALL blow it?

That mistake: Someone familiar with the transgender community should have read Caleb’s final draft. This never occurred to us. Nobody ever brought it up. Had we asked someone, they probably would have told us the following things …

1. You never mentioned that the transgender community has an abnormally high suicide rate. That’s a crucial piece — something that actually could have evolved into the third act and an entirely different ending. But you missed it completely.

2. You need to make it more clear within the piece that Caleb never, at any point, threatened to out her as he was doing his reporting.

3. You need to make it more clear that, before her death, you never internally discussed the possibility of outing her (and we didn’t).

4. You botched your pronoun structure in a couple of spots, which could easily be fixed by using GLAAD’s style guide for handling transgender language.

5. The phrase “chill ran down my spine” reads wrong. Either cut it or make it more clear what Caleb meant.

6. Caleb never should have outed Dr. V to one of her investors; you need to address that mistake either within the piece, as a footnote, or in a separate piece entirely.

(And maybe even … )

7. There’s a chance that Caleb’s reporting, even if it wasn’t threatening or malicious in any way, invariably affected Dr. V in ways that you never anticipated or understood. (Read Christina Kahrl’s thoughtful piece about Dr. V and our errors in judgment for more on that angle.)

Pat Clements fucked around with this message at 23:32 on Jan 20, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

soggybagel
Aug 6, 2006
The official account of NFL Tackle Phil Loadholt.

Let's talk Football.
I think Grantland is confronting this with a lot of maturity and sense. Which is good. They're definitely taking this seriously. Which obviously should be a given, but the state of sports journalism investigative or otherwise is a wasteland so this is refreshing.

Pat Clements
Feb 10, 2008

soggybagel posted:

I think Grantland is confronting this with a lot of maturity and sense. Which is good. They're definitely taking this seriously. Which obviously should be a given, but the state of sports journalism investigative or otherwise is a wasteland so this is refreshing.
It speaks well of them, anyway, that Simmons both linked to and published Christina Kahrl's critique, which is really really good.

quote:

He struggled with the question of whether or not she’d actually designed a great putter; if you’re a golfer, that might have been what you wanted to know. It certainly would have been the extent of what you needed to know.

Unfortunately, that isn’t where Hannan stopped. Instead of fulfilling his mission in its entirety, he lurched into something that had nothing to do with his story, but that he was excited to share, repeatedly: Vanderbilt was a transsexual woman.

By any professional or ethical standard, that wasn’t merely irrelevant to the story, it wasn’t his information to share. Like gays or lesbians — or anyone else, for that matter — trans folk get to determine for themselves what they’re willing to divulge about their sexuality and gender identity. As in, it’s not your business unless or until the person tells you it is, and if it’s not germane to your story, you can safely forgo using it. Unfortunately, he indulged his discovery. The story’s problems include screw-ups you might expect for a writer or editors who aren’t familiar with this kind of subject matter — misgendering and ambiguous pronoun usage upon making his needless discovery of Vanderbilt’s past identity.

xbilkis
Apr 11, 2005

god qb
me
jay hova
It would probably be better to put the Christina Kahrl piece above the Simmons thing on the front page, because it's both better writing and better at capturing the spirit of what went wrong, but it's cool that they went beyond just Simmons saying "We hosed up, sorry"

e;fb on the Kahrl thing

Reformed Pissboy
Nov 6, 2003

That actually seems like a reasonable, honestly apologetic response. Maybe it's the magic of lowered expectations from Simmons but I'm pleasantly surprised by the amount of thought put into what they did wrong.

oldfan
Jul 22, 2007

"Mathewson pitched against Cincinnati yesterday. Another way of putting it is that Cincinnati lost a game of baseball."

The Prisoner posted:

e: Now that I'm working my way through the piece I'm not sure Simmons completely gets it. But here's a quote:

I think Simmons gets what he missed but if he got the original issues the piece never would have ran in that form to begin with.

As with everyone else that's chimed in so far, I'm impressed with his thoughtfulness and willingness to admit culpability, granting that it won't change anything that happened.

Twin Cinema
Jun 1, 2006

Playoffs are no big deal,
don't have a crap attack.
Simmons piece is close, but it still misses the mark.

quote:

But even now, it’s hard for me to accept that Dr. V’s transgender status wasn’t part of this story. Caleb couldn’t find out anything about her pre-2001 background for a very specific reason. Let’s say we omitted that reason or wrote around it, then that reason emerged after we posted the piece. What then?

The issue is that this statement is still treating transgender as a story, rather than just being what it is -- a transgender person who is engaged in the same acts as other people are. To be more clear, the story focuses on being transgender to explain her fake credentials, as if she's pulling a long con or something.

joepinetree
Apr 5, 2012

St1cky posted:

Yes, and I'm still waiting on the check :( . I actually know someone that scammed his own in-laws, children, and complete strangers by stealing their identity. He did some absolutely insane stuff to control and manipulate people, and a few of his "stories" involved made up stuff involving me, hence why I'm not exactly sympathetic towards con artists. He finally got caught but he still denies he's responsible. The reporter should have immediately gone to the police or feds to let them know that she was lying about having worked on a top secret project and defrauding investors in the company. That might have saved her from taking her own life.

The police and the feds would have done nothing because it is very unlikely that she committed a crime. Her investors could have sued her for misrepresenting her past, and probably would have gotten some money from it (though my reading of their reactions leads me to suspect that they maybe were complicit in it). In most states lying about degrees and past work experience to private parties is not a crime, and in the ones where it is a crime, it will generally be very specific and restricted to things like licensing or professions that deal with kids. If you don't trust me, go read up about George O'Leary, who claimed to have masters degrees he didn't:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/George_O%27Leary

There was also a dean at MIT who also made up degrees:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Marilee_Jones

Neither were ever charged with any crimes.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

It's weird to see any journalist issue an actual honest to goodness dang rear end apology even if it doesn't fully understand the underlying issue. I've read too many "sorry you were offended" 'apologies' this year and I was expecting to see that yet again. At least there's a willingness to learn (and an admittance of forgetting things they already had learned).

The 7th Guest fucked around with this message at 00:03 on Jan 21, 2014

xbilkis
Apr 11, 2005

god qb
me
jay hova
By the way, if you were upset by the sincerity and levelheadedness of the Grantland response, Chris Jones's Twitter feed is full of whining about how LGBT people aren't doing enough to make him feel like an ally, and how all their silly names are too confusing to keep up with

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
Yeah they still hosed up pretty badly, but the apology was handled much better than I would have expected so that's good to see.

the talent deficit
Dec 20, 2003

self-deprecation is a very british trait, and problems can arise when the british attempt to do so with a foreign culture

Twin Cinema posted:

The issue is that this statement is still treating transgender as a story, rather than just being what it is -- a transgender person who is engaged in the same acts as other people are. To be more clear, the story focuses on being transgender to explain her fake credentials, as if she's pulling a long con or something.

i think that while he still doesn't understand that issue he at least admits that he doesn't understand it and that someone who does understand should have been consulted on the editorial side

also i'm surprised that 12-15 grantland employees read it and didn't think it was problematic. emily yoshida, wesley morris, molly lambert and jay caspian kang have all written really thoughtful pieces about comparable situations. you'd think one of them would have been included at least

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Quest For Glory II posted:

It's weird to see any journalist issue an actual honest to goodness dang rear end apology even if it doesn't fully understand the underlying issue. I've read too many "sorry you were offended" 'apologies' this year and I was expecting to see that yet again. At least there's a willingness to learn (and an admittance of forgetting things they already had learned).
This thing blew up pretty big, and had Grantland not had a very strong response to the criticism, their attempts to be seen as a legitimate site for quality sportswriters would have been destroyed.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

the talent deficit posted:

i think that while he still doesn't understand that issue he at least admits that he doesn't understand it and that someone who does understand should have been consulted on the editorial side

also i'm surprised that 12-15 grantland employees read it and didn't think it was problematic. emily yoshida, wesley morris, molly lambert and jay caspian kang have all written really thoughtful pieces about comparable situations. you'd think one of them would have been included at least

Kang doesn't work for them anymore, Morris and Lambert aren't editors, and Yoshida is involved primarily with the entertainment stuff. I would guess they didn't even see it before it ran.

soggybagel
Aug 6, 2006

Let's talk Football.
Kang is a contributor and recently (pretty sure anyways) stepped away more from Grantland and I think is doing more freelance stuff. I know he was recently working on a New Yorker item or two. Really like his writing.

I feel like people who may have been more in tuned like Yoshida, Morris and so on weren't part of that editorial process because they're quite busy with their own things that largely cover culture.

AsInHowe
Jan 11, 2007

red winged angel

Twin Cinema posted:

Here's the thing, as Simmons did bring up: the core of the story was about someone selling a product under grandiose and false credentials.

If Hannan had investigated the story, and it was just some guy posing as a highly accomplished scientist who really was just some auto mechanic, nothing comes of it. However, the story started with something pretty remarkable - a female MIT aeronautical physicist (who designed the stealth bomber!) that invented a revolutionary putter in her spare time. The gender of the inventor is intertwined with the elaborate hoax that the company told. Unfortunately, the process of unraveling that story took Hannan down a path that went way beyond 'the inventor is not really an MIT engineer'.

The obvious thing to do was to mention certain things discreetly, such as 'I could not find any record of Essay Anne Vanderbilt attending MIT' or something like that. Then, the situation goes from 'this woman is transgender' to 'this inventor isn't really an accomplished engineer'.

Instead, the author focuses on the uniqueness of the gender aspect of the story instead of the overall fraud, leading to the backlash.

Pat Clements
Feb 10, 2008

AsInHowe posted:

Here's the thing, as Simmons did bring up: the core of the story was about someone selling a product under grandiose and false credentials.

If Hannan had investigated the story, and it was just some guy posing as a highly accomplished scientist who really was just some auto mechanic, nothing comes of it. However, the story started with something pretty remarkable - a female MIT aeronautical physicist (who designed the stealth bomber!) that invented a revolutionary putter in her spare time. The gender of the inventor is intertwined with the elaborate hoax that the company told. Unfortunately, the process of unraveling that story took Hannan down a path that went way beyond 'the inventor is not really an MIT engineer'.

The obvious thing to do was to mention certain things discreetly, such as 'I could not find any record of Essay Anne Vanderbilt attending MIT' or something like that. Then, the situation goes from 'this woman is transgender' to 'this inventor isn't really an accomplished engineer'.

Instead, the author focuses on the uniqueness of the gender aspect of the story instead of the overall fraud, leading to the backlash.
I hope this is just a phrasing issue on your part. A woman changing her name to suit her self-identification is in no way "intertwined with the elaborate hoax".

Politicalrancor
Jan 29, 2008

I feel like Simmons missed on 3 things

1. That being her trans was part of the story
2. Using "Dr.V" so frequently instead of using her full name
3. Putting himself entirely in front of Hannan, despite Hannan's misstep prior to the editorial process. Just because Grantland maintains that he wasn't actively badgering Vanderbilt, to me, outing her to business colleagues constitutes badgering.

AsInHowe
Jan 11, 2007

red winged angel

The Prisoner posted:

I hope this is just a phrasing issue on your part. A woman changing her name to suit her self-identification is in no way "intertwined with the elaborate hoax".

If someone changes their name, outside of anything regarding gender identity, that does tie into the overall story. Carefully saying that there's no record of this person graduating from a university or no record of this person holding certain job does no harm to the overall story, as the O'Leary example and others show. Then, the story turns into what I guess is the original intent, a supposedly space age putter that might just be a placebo.

Instead, once the whole gender thing is discovered, that becomes the focus of the story, which is where everything went wrong. If the story focused on the putter, and how the inventor isn't exactly who they say they are (in non-specific ways), this story is just another golf story.

joepinetree
Apr 5, 2012
Simmons' piece was much better than I expected. I sort of expected him to double down like he did with the Ali mess. Still, the pattern of rejecting the article until it became what it was, their consultations with lawyers, and their awareness that people could have blamed them for the suicide seems to indicate that they knew full well that they would be controversial, only perhaps not realizing the strength of the backlash.

soggybagel
Aug 6, 2006

Let's talk Football.
Simmons seems pretty upfront about the fact that he can't entirely wrap his head around LGBT issues. I mean, I'll be completely honest and say if I don't know what the proper language is when addressing someone who is transition, post, or whatever. I'm confused about the wording and how to be appropriate. I am not condoning what already happened but speaking from the viewpoint of a person who I think is pretty open about these things I'm somewhat wary of saying the wrong thing and so on.

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

Grantland Editor Bill Simmons read a story and then told a writer that he's not happy with the amount of reporting before sitting behind his computer, cracking his knuckles, and banging out a column about whether Tom Brady is more like Dylan or Brandon before coming to the conclusion after 2,000 words that he's like Brandylan.

Pat Clements
Feb 10, 2008

soggybagel posted:

Simmons seems pretty upfront about the fact that he can't entirely wrap his head around LGBT issues. I mean, I'll be completely honest and say if I don't know what the proper language is when addressing someone who is transition, post, or whatever. I'm confused about the wording and how to be appropriate. I am not condoning what already happened but speaking from the viewpoint of a person who I think is pretty open about these things I'm somewhat wary of saying the wrong thing and so on.
My chief issue (such as there is one) is that the tenor and language of Simmons' apology leans much more toward "we didn't know" rather than "we should have known." How much of that is a product of his writing style I'm not sure.

A bunch of people on Twitter are annoyed Simmons wrote at all. I don't really agree with that - he's the Editor-in-Chief of the site and therefore ultimately responsible for its content. Whether he should have that job based on his writing ability, attitude, and overall alignment with what Grantland is trying to be is a different issue entirely.

AsInHowe
Jan 11, 2007

red winged angel

The Prisoner posted:

A bunch of people on Twitter are annoyed Simmons wrote at all. I don't really agree with that - he's the Editor-in-Chief of the site and therefore ultimately responsible for its content. Whether he should have that job based on his writing ability, attitude, and overall alignment with what Grantland is trying to be is a different issue entirely.

If Simmons doesn't write, Twitter complains that he's dodging the issue. Kind of a zero-win game for him.

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

R.D. Mangles posted:

Grantland Editor Bill Simmons read a story and then told a writer that he's not happy with the amount of reporting before sitting behind his computer, cracking his knuckles, and banging out a column about whether Tom Brady is more like Dylan or Brandon before coming to the conclusion after 2,000 words that he's like Brandylan.
And when Peyton Manning it was so traumatic for him that he held off on writing an annual Post-Super-Bowl column just to be safe.

The Prisoner posted:

The whole idea of Grantland was pretty much his, so it's his baby. That's why he's the EIC.

saffi faildotter
Mar 2, 2007

soggybagel posted:

Here's how to handle trans pronouns in one easy step:

1. whatever their preferred form of address is

It's just that simple! Also, "transition & post" aren't really different things. Like, there's not a magic wand that somebody waves and now your genitals are inverted. Basically, whatever the individual prefers, use that, even when referring to before they began transitioning.

GLAAD's reference goes into slightly more detail (specifically not referring to people as A Transgendered or whatever) but it's honestly pretty easy.

E: oh, and while the average person might not know this stuff, it's sort of a journalist's job to do research on subjects and issues that arise in the course of discussing their subjects. So, yeah, kind of a huge deal that nobody bothered with that.

saffi faildotter fucked around with this message at 01:50 on Jan 21, 2014

soggybagel
Aug 6, 2006

Let's talk Football.
My point was I don't have the GLAAD reference guide memorized so I was admitting it can seem confusing. And if I've never addressed them before I will not know definitively how they prefer to be addressed. I also mentioned that I am not okay with what they did so after the fact apologizing doesn't fix that, but merely that I can also empathize with some confusion...but it doesn't make it okay.

soggybagel fucked around with this message at 02:04 on Jan 21, 2014

saffi faildotter
Mar 2, 2007

soggybagel posted:

My point was I don't have the GLAAD reference guide memorized so I was admitting it can seem confusing. And if I've never addressed them before I will not know definitively how they prefer to be addressed. I also mentioned that I am not okay with what they did so after the fact apologizing doesn't fix that, but merely that I can also empathize with some confusion...but it doesn't make it okay.

I'm not sure what exactly you're saying here. You don't know what every individual's preferred pronouns are, sure, but (placing yourself in the shoes of Caleb Hannan, as your hypothetical example seems to be?) you would know the preferred pronouns of the subject of the piece, and (as a reporter) would have the duty to at least look at the GLAAD reference guide to see whether you hosed up somewhere. This is still the case if you're instead the editor of the piece, or basically anyone involved in its creation.

This isn't about your personal duty as a bystander to educate yourself on LGBT issues (although I maintain that it's not difficult: gendered pronouns are what they ask for, if they haven't told you go by their presentation, and the pronouns don't change throughout discussions of their life), this is about the duties of reporters. Unsurprisingly, the bar's a little higher in terms of knowing this kind of thing if your words are going to be public record. I can't really empathize with the editorial staff, really, because they had a duty to get this stuff right and they totally failed it. And Hannan's reporting went above and beyond 'failing it,' which Simmons only lightly touched on.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

soggybagel posted:

And if I've never addressed them before I will not know definitively how they prefer to be addressed.
Asking is usually a good first step.

e: Although, if we can be really real for real here, I'm sure many trans people have told reporters how they'd like to be addressed only to see the wrong pronouns show up in the article the next day. It happens way too often for that not to be going on.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

joepinetree posted:

I sort of expected him to double down like he did with the Ali mess.

Remind me of what the story was here?

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

Grittybeard posted:

Remind me of what the story was here?

He compared Tiger coming back from cheating on his wife to Ali returning to boxing after four years from being banned from the sport for refusing to enter the draft over his religious convictions.

When called on it, he then doubled down by saying that since young people were against Vietnam that Ali didn't face 10% of the criticism Tiger did.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
Simmons' apology was about as good as one could expect from him, which is both a compliment and an indictment of Bill Simmons.

I do think that the piece exposes (more) how the idea of transgender people somehow being duplicitous or fraudulent is deeply rooted in "mainstream" culture. Glad there's some discussion around that.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

Kalli posted:

He compared Tiger coming back from cheating on his wife to Ali returning to boxing after four years from being banned from the sport for refusing to enter the draft over his religious convictions.

When called on it, he then doubled down by saying that since young people were against Vietnam that Ali didn't face 10% of the criticism Tiger did.

Holy...:stare:

The broken bones
Jan 3, 2008

Out beyond winning and losing, there is a field.

I will meet you there.

AsInHowe posted:

If Simmons doesn't write, Twitter complains that he's dodging the issue. Kind of a zero-win game for him.

The game he started playing was calling out a trans woman.

Simmons' entire brand is the selfish sports fanboy and this apology reflects that. In the majority of it, he's still trying to defend the thought processes that led to publishing it, even going so far as to say "Hey, people liked it at first! We weren't the only ones that grossly misunderstood these concepts!" It'd be a lot better had he just taken that out, but then Bill Simmons wouldn't be Bill Simmons if he didn't make it about himself. This is why I was saying on twitter it was a bad idea for him to write the apology, but there's no one else that really could.

That said, even in his childish understanding of things, Simmons' apology has some value, which is more than I can say about his endless catalog of mindless blather.

Why we're even talking about this when Christina Kahrl's piece knocked it out of the park is beyond me.

joshtothemaxx
Nov 17, 2008

I will have a whole army of zombies! A zombie Marine Corps, a zombie Navy Corps, zombie Space Cadets...
So is the writer ever going to say anything? I'm pleasantly surprised by Simmons' response, but have nothing to add other than echo that e doesn't fully get lgbt issues.

The broken bones
Jan 3, 2008

I will meet you there.

joshtothemaxx posted:

So is the writer ever going to say anything? I'm pleasantly surprised by Simmons' response, but have nothing to add other than echo that e doesn't fully get lgbt issues.

The dude was shaken up by it. I don't think there's anything of value he can say, he clearly just didn't know what he was doing.

Pat Clements
Feb 10, 2008

The broken bones posted:

The dude was shaken up by it. I don't think there's anything of value he can say, he clearly just didn't know what he was doing.
I mean, "I'm sorry and I hosed up" is of some value. The merit of releasing such a statement right now is questionable, though.

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

The Prisoner posted:

I mean, "I'm sorry and I hosed up" is of some value. The merit of releasing such a statement right now is questionable, though.

I'm guessing they're probably waiting for a time when it's not met with 90% of the responses being some variation of "go kill yourself"

The broken bones
Jan 3, 2008

I will meet you there.
Additionally, dude's gotten pretty hosed up from thinking he indirectly killing someone and receiving death threats for it. We should probably think about his mental health right now, even if he didn't return the favor to Dr. V.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pat Clements
Feb 10, 2008

sportsgenius86 posted:

I'm guessing they're probably waiting for a time when it's not met with 90% of the responses being some variation of "go kill yourself"
Yeah, which is the smart thing to do. Very little good has ever stemmed from a press apology at the very height of a public furor.