Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

Action Tortoise posted:

You've got it backwards. That's how he resuscitates flatliners.

Also works wonders for sprains, strains, and other injuries requiring electrical myostimulation

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Parahexavoctal
Oct 10, 2004

I AM NOT BEING PAID TO CORRECT OTHER PEOPLE'S POSTS! DONKEY!!

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

Or read Hickman's FF run where exactly that happens.

Yeah, but in Hickman's FF, they forgot to remove the wreckage of their miniaturized spaceship.

One day, real soon now, Willie Lumpkin's head is going to explode when the Pym Particles wear off.

Avulsion
Feb 12, 2006
I never knew what hit me

Parahexavoctal posted:

Yeah, but in Hickman's FF, they forgot to remove the wreckage of their miniaturized spaceship.

One day, real soon now, Willie Lumpkin's head is going to explode when the Pym Particles wear off.

It's probably cheaper to build a tiny spaceship instead of building a full sized one and shrinking it.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.

Avulsion posted:

It's probably cheaper to build a tiny spaceship instead of building a full sized one and shrinking it.

Oh, c'mon, do you really think Reed wouldn't go for the needlessly complicated solution? Hell, he probably built an even tinier ship and made it slightly larger, just to show off.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

Mr. Maltose posted:

I like to think that it's not Thor being offended so much as Thor desperately trying to warn her away from dating Hercules.

Why can't it be both?

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

Exit Strategy posted:

Pretty sure my insurance doesn't pay for Tiny God Punches Heart Until It Shrinks The gently caress Down.

Thanks a lot Obamacare.

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

I don't like it when you're watching me eat.
This kind of makes me wonder about a story idea.

What if Dr. Doom created a legitimate, non-evil way to cure cancer, just to piss off Richards? Even play it off for the public: "Fools! Curing cancer was a child's errand for Doom. And one must ask, if Reed Richards is indeed so generous, and smart, and such a humanitarian working for the better of all mankind, why did he not dedicate time and resources to curing this common ailment? Too busy saving the world from the likes of The Wizard? Open your eyes, unworthy livestock, and know that Doom, in his grand mercy, has defeated cancer itself."

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
Well, there was the time on JLU where Lex Luthor built an entire low-income housing community powered by a kryptonite reactor, just to piss Superman off.

e X
Feb 23, 2013

cool but crude

CzarChasm posted:

What if Dr. Doom created a legitimate, non-evil way to cure cancer, just to piss off Richards? Even play it off for the public: "Fools! Curing cancer was a child's errand for Doom. And one must ask, if Reed Richards is indeed so generous, and smart, and such a humanitarian working for the better of all mankind, why did he not dedicate time and resources to curing this common ailment? Too busy saving the world from the likes of The Wizard? Open your eyes, unworthy livestock, and know that Doom, in his grand mercy, has defeated cancer itself."

I am pretty convinced that you could actually get Doom to solve all the world's problems by simply alluding to Reed Richard's inability to do so.

RyuujinBlueZ
Oct 9, 2007

WHAT DID YOU DO?!

CzarChasm posted:

That would actually be a fantastic twist to take on the Doom-style of supervillains. Villains who start using their genius and resources for the greater good, entirely to undermine the heroes. I know Luthor has done it here and there, but I think a storyline with Doom could be especially great. I mean, isn't part of why Reed made the Fantastic Four into super-celebs to apologize for ruining their old lives? And then have Doom come in and just crush all of that through noble, humanitarian means that Reed can't legitimately fight back against.

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

RyuujinBlueZ posted:

That would actually be a fantastic twist to take on the Doom-style of supervillains. Villains who start using their genius and resources for the greater good, entirely to undermine the heroes.
Hello, Justice by Alex Ross and Jim Krueger!

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"

RyuujinBlueZ posted:

That would actually be a fantastic twist to take on the Doom-style of supervillains. Villains who start using their genius and resources for the greater good, entirely to undermine the heroes. I know Luthor has done it here and there, but I think a storyline with Doom could be especially great. I mean, isn't part of why Reed made the Fantastic Four into super-celebs to apologize for ruining their old lives? And then have Doom come in and just crush all of that through noble, humanitarian means that Reed can't legitimately fight back against.

Stuff along these lines has been many times before in many different mediums, and it always turns out that the seemingly clean renewable infinite energy source is actually powered by the souls of newborn babies or something. I don't get why it can never be as CzarChasm said and have it actually be an entirely good, selfless thing, just done entirely for selfish and spiteful reasons.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

AnonSpore posted:

Stuff along these lines has been many times before in many different mediums, and it always turns out that the seemingly clean renewable infinite energy source is actually powered by the souls of newborn babies or something. I don't get why it can never be as CzarChasm said and have it actually be an entirely good, selfless thing, just done entirely for selfish and spiteful reasons.

Sometimes the "heroes" machines use that. Remember Dr. Venture's machine that allowed people to experience their fantasies? It was powered by a forsaken orphan's heart.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?

AnonSpore posted:

It's a dumb cop-out so that we can have Good Guys and Bad Guys and it really bugs me a lot.

e X
Feb 23, 2013

cool but crude

AnonSpore posted:

I can't talk about villains in general, but especially for Doom I think it's actually pretty much in character that his solution would have some pretty glaring moral problems, simply because he regards any moral obligations as being beneath him. After all, why should his genius be bound by the considerations of people clearly less smart than him?

edit: Actually, I think that goes for all villains. We are long past the time were the villains were simply evil because the story demanded it, at least the big names either have it as an established personality that they aren't interesting in simply helping other, or would do so in a rather evil fashion after all , or that they don't see themselves as evil and are simply opposing the heroes due to incompatible goals.

e X fucked around with this message at 20:41 on Jan 21, 2014

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

I believe in all the ways that they say you can lose your body
Fallen Rib
One of things I love about a character like Luthor is that he really is a genius who can do all kinds of crazy amazing stuff but he is such an egotistical dick that he can't stand that there is someone out there better than him (depending how the writers treat him he also hates that an alien can take away from his achievements). If comics weren't ongoings but had a definite ending you could easily work in a villains redemption plot (that actually loving sticks instead of forgotten the next time some new writer wants to have the hero fight his old nemesis). One of my favourite takes on a villains (sort-of) redemption was the Riddler, who became a private investigator. It was such a great new take on the character that I was really pissed off when it was thrown away so he could become just another boring villain for Batman to fight again.
Really I quite love villains who aren't evil really, but just really get on the nerves of the heroes for whatever reason.

404GoonNotFound
Aug 6, 2006

The McRib is back!?!?

bobkatt013 posted:

Sometimes the "heroes" machines use that. Remember Dr. Venture's machine that allowed people to experience their fantasies? It was powered by a forsaken orphan's heart.

Or, of course, Mr. Burns going green.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

In Superman & Spider-Man, Dr. Doom creates an infinite clean renewable energy source sufficient to power the entire world. The same device also destroys all other fuel sources and, as a side effect, all modern weapons. He says that the hard part wasn't inventing it, but deploying dozens of these reactors around the world without anybody noticing. He spent "many billions" on this project, so that once he activates it, the world would no alternative to but to make him their king.

In All-Star Superman, Superman tells Lex Luthor "You could've saved the world years ago if it mattered to you, Luthor." Supervillains don't want to make the world a better place - that's why they're supervillains in the first place.

More generally, a problem with shared comic book universes is that every time somebody makes the world noticeably better than the real world, some other character's problems stop making sense and it becomes that much more difficult to go on selling stories about them.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

Brock! Oh, man, I'm sorry about your...

...tooth?

e X posted:

I am pretty convinced that you could actually get Doom to solve all the world's problems by simply alluding to Reed Richard's inability to do so.

There was a Spidey/Fantastic Four crossover that had a bit like this. Spidey, Sue, Johnny and Ben went to Latveria to ask for Doom's help with this device that belongs to the High Evolutionary. Doom scoffed and had no intention of helping them. Then one of them went all, "Come on! Reed didn't know how it worked and..."

"Richards... couldn't...?"

Cut to later where Doom is lecturing them on how it works and Spidey nods and acts like he knew it all along.

Action Tortoise
Feb 18, 2012

A wolf howls.
I know how he feels.

Madkal posted:

One of things I love about a character like Luthor is that he really is a genius who can do all kinds of crazy amazing stuff but he is such an egotistical dick that he can't stand that there is someone out there better than him (depending how the writers treat him he also hates that an alien can take away from his achievements).

All-Star Superman # 12
Superman's about to phase into pure solar energy and just took a beating from a super-powered Luthor. The effects only last 24 hours but Supes scienced a way for Luthor to metabolize it out of his system in only a few minutes.

Madkal posted:

If comics weren't ongoings but had a definite ending you could easily work in a villains redemption plot (that actually loving sticks instead of forgotten the next time some new writer wants to have the hero fight his old nemesis). One of my favourite takes on a villains (sort-of) redemption was the Riddler, who became a private investigator. It was such a great new take on the character that I was really pissed off when it was thrown away so he could become just another boring villain for Batman to fight again.
Really I quite love villains who aren't evil really, but just really get on the nerves of the heroes for whatever reason.

There's hints that the benevolent scientist in this story, Leo Quintum, is actually Luthor trying to make amends for his past by going into the past to save humanity's future.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Action Tortoise posted:

There's hints that the benevolent scientist in this story, Leo Quintum, is actually Luthor trying to make amends for his past by going into the past to save humanity's future.

Hasn't Morrison commented on this and pretty much debunked it?

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

I fell in love with a Video Nasty
I was thinking of that scene myself. I unfortunately had only read the first trade of rear end (heh) so I was hoping that's how the scene went in the book, as they preserved it word-for-word in the movie version. It really captures how Luthor is truly blind to his own hubris, and could be the greatest hero in the entire DCU if it weren't for his greed and jealousy.

Too bad the movie version cuts out the entire flashback episode with the three future supermen. I think that might be the best part of the whole book.

Action Tortoise
Feb 18, 2012

A wolf howls.
I know how he feels.

Rhyno posted:

Hasn't Morrison commented on this and pretty much debunked it?

Did he? It would have been better if he left it ambiguous, otherwise the guy's just there to cause the plot to happen.

Choco1980 posted:

Too bad the movie version cuts out the entire flashback episode with the three future supermen. I think that might be the best part of the whole book.

That is my favorite chapter in the series. The last page has no dialogue but Superman's pose there is so much better than the one of him sitting on top of the clouds.

Action Tortoise fucked around with this message at 00:34 on Jan 22, 2014

LashLightning
Feb 20, 2010

You know you didn't have to go post that, right?
But it's fine, I guess...

You just keep being you!

How about something inspiring done with panels? Sandy Bilus took a single panel from each of rear end's issues to create a "trailer" of the story:

I really liked All-Star Superman (it's a shame that All-Star Batman flopped so the series wasn't continued - the archetypal story telling you everything you need to know about Wonder Woman?) and I felt this was an ingenious way of showing the story.

It's a shame they took out the Superman meeting the genetic-memory of his father scenes out of the cartoon movie they made of this. Although, we got to hear some of the lines said in Man of Steel, so all was not lost.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

Bongo Bill posted:

In Superman & Spider-Man, Dr. Doom creates an infinite clean renewable energy source sufficient to power the entire world. The same device also destroys all other fuel sources and, as a side effect, all modern weapons. He says that the hard part wasn't inventing it, but deploying dozens of these reactors around the world without anybody noticing. He spent "many billions" on this project, so that once he activates it, the world would no alternative to but to make him their king.

In All-Star Superman, Superman tells Lex Luthor "You could've saved the world years ago if it mattered to you, Luthor." Supervillains don't want to make the world a better place - that's why they're supervillains in the first place.

More generally, a problem with shared comic book universes is that every time somebody makes the world noticeably better than the real world, some other character's problems stop making sense and it becomes that much more difficult to go on selling stories about them.

In Up Up and away Superman is gone for a year and Lex still does nothing to help humanity. In fact he does some even bigger dick moves in 52
Action Comics 840

RandallODim
Dec 30, 2010

Another 1? Aww man...

Action Tortoise posted:

All-Star Superman # 12
Superman's about to phase into pure solar energy and just took a beating from a super-powered Luthor. The effects only last 24 hours but Supes scienced a way for Luthor to metabolize it out of his system in only a few minutes.

I actually prefer the animated version of this scene from the All-Star Superman adaptation, largely because punctuating that conversation with a full panel of Superman slugging Lex into unconsciousness seems really out of place and gratuitous, especially compared to him not attacking a powerless and defeated Lex at all.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9RfUUJH2TvU

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

LashLightning posted:

I really liked All-Star Superman (it's a shame that All-Star Batman flopped so the series wasn't continued -

Where did you read this?

LashLightning
Feb 20, 2010

You know you didn't have to go post that, right?
But it's fine, I guess...

You just keep being you!

Rhyno posted:

Where did you read this?

A few blogs, but now that I search around, it could have just been them shooting their mouths off rather than the book actually having poor sales. The wikipedia page actually says ASB&RTBW was actually the highest selling comics DC sold on the months they came out. \/:shobon:\/ Whoops!

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

RandallODim posted:

I actually prefer the animated version of this scene from the All-Star Superman adaptation, largely because punctuating that conversation with a full panel of Superman slugging Lex into unconsciousness seems really out of place and gratuitous, especially compared to him not attacking a powerless and defeated Lex at all.

To be fair, the comic version of Luthor is much more of a prick. He kills at least one innocent person, on-panel.

Action Tortoise
Feb 18, 2012

A wolf howls.
I know how he feels.

RandallODim posted:

I think everyone's delivery is flat, personally. :shrug:

Luthor's been making GBS threads on everyone and getting away with it the entire series. If anything, it's not the punch but Supes' pithy summation of his character that cuts him down.

This is my favorite exchange between him and Superman.

(All-Star Superman # 10)

haitfais
Aug 7, 2005

I am offended by your ham, sir.

Action Tortoise posted:

I think everyone's delivery is flat, personally. :shrug:

Luthor's been making GBS threads on everyone and getting away with it the entire series. If anything, it's not the punch but Supes' pithy summation of his character that cuts him down.

This is my favorite exchange between him and Superman.

(All-Star Superman # 10)

Wait, why is Lex reading an "Increase Your Brainpower" book? Isn't that exactly the sort of thing his ego would find preposterous?

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

LET ME TELL YOU ABOUT MY DOG
Pretty sure that is something called "irony" in industry lingo.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

RandallODim posted:

This is....horrible. Are all DCAU movies like this? The thought of someone being introduced to this story by watching the movie version actually makes me a little sad now.

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

Chaos Hippy posted:

Wait, why is Lex reading an "Increase Your Brainpower" book? Isn't that exactly the sort of thing his ego would find preposterous?
I like to think Lex reads those types of books all the time just to rip them apart and feed his superiority complex, but there's a part of him that is actually trying to gain the upper hand over everyone else in every way possible, and he's actually getting something out of them, though he would never ever say so.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

They differ pretty wildly between different movies.

haitfais
Aug 7, 2005

I am offended by your ham, sir.

redbackground posted:

I like to think Lex reads those types of books all the time just to rip them apart and feed his superiority complex, but there's a part of him that is actually trying to gain the upper hand over everyone else in every way possible, and he's actually getting something out of them, though he would never ever say so.

I can accept that.

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005
Hey, look. Look, if- if you screw me on this, I shall become more powerful than you can possibly imagine, you rat bastard!

Madkal posted:

One of my favourite takes on a villains (sort-of) redemption was the Riddler, who became a private investigator. It was such a great new take on the character that I was really pissed off when it was thrown away so he could become just another boring villain for Batman to fight again.

I think it helps because in a lot of ways the Riddler comes off as a pathetic Batman villain who doesn't have the terror, power, or madness of some of Batman's other rogues.

Even the other villains treat him like garbage.

Having Riddler become a sort of fringe Anonymous type of criminal/activist teaming up with Anarky or something, that could have maybe fun and interesting. You could have Riddler see his relationship with Anarky as his attempt at a reformative Big Brothers/Big Sisters thing where he sees something of himself in this kid and is trying to be the sort of mentor that he never had at that age.

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

I fell in love with a Video Nasty

Bown posted:

This is....horrible. Are all DCAU movies like this? The thought of someone being introduced to this story by watching the movie version actually makes me a little sad now.

The voice acting is pretty off the nose on that one, but you get used to it. The story's fairly accurate for which episodes they keep in. For one shot DC movies, I liked "Superman vs. The Elite", the one based on "What's so funny about Truth, Justice, and the American Way?" better.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Choco1980 posted:

The voice acting is pretty off the nose on that one, but you get used to it. The story's fairly accurate for which episodes they keep in. For one shot DC movies, I liked "Superman vs. The Elite", the one based on "What's so funny about Truth, Justice, and the American Way?" better.

Sure, but the comics are literally significantly better than any of the related cartoon movies. It's kind of frustrating how less good the movies are.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Comic Crisis on 2 Earths has no James Woods.