Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax

zoux posted:

Natalie what have you doooone????

I am suddenly a lot more sympathetic towards Cersei.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

escape artist
Sep 24, 2005

Slow train coming
^^Hahaha

Henrik Zetterberg posted:

Why wouldn't Stoneheart be in this season? I think there's a good chance.

I think she will definitely be in this season. I just don't think she'll meet Brienne-- that's at the end of AFFC. We first meet Stoneheart through Merrett Frey's POV at the end of ASoS-- and I expect that will happen.

Question, when Drogon eats the goatherd's son, is that the same scene with the fighting pits? I might have combined the two in my mind.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

I hope they show no less than 6 episodes worth of "hey can we re-open the fighting pits?" scenes.

colonel_korn
May 16, 2003

escape artist posted:

Question, when Drogon eats the goatherd's son, is that the same scene with the fighting pits? I might have combined the two in my mind.

No, it's her first chapter in ADwD, I think. It's the reason that she decides the other two dragons have to be locked up in that pit beneath the city.

Also apparently Natalie Dormer did that to her hair for a role in the upcoming Hunger Games movie.

BrooklynBruiser
Aug 20, 2006

colonel_korn posted:

Also apparently Natalie Dormer did that to her hair for a role in the upcoming Hunger Games movie.

She did, and goddamn does she pull it off. :allears:

escape artist
Sep 24, 2005

Slow train coming

colonel_korn posted:

No, it's her first chapter in ADwD, I think. It's the reason that she decides the other two dragons have to be locked up in that pit beneath the city.

Ahhh, my bad. I retract my previous statement.

And I think Natalie Dormer's hair rules.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Also Pedro Pascal looks like a badass and once again the casting agents for the show have found the dude I didn't even know looks exactly like Oberon should.

plainswalker75
Feb 22, 2003

Pigs are smarter than Bears, but they can't ride motorcycles
Hair Elf
Hahaha, Peter Dinklage looks so grumpy!

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.
Peter Dinklage looks like he wants to murder me, and could :ohdear:

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.
I think he's pissed off because his suit doesn't fit :(

rypakal
Oct 31, 2012

He also cooks the food of his people
e: asked and answered

e2: a better question. What would Dany's climax in s4 be if riding drogon was in s5?

e3: ~~~*Dario*~~~ actually making her climax and wedding?

rypakal fucked around with this message at 19:10 on Jan 21, 2014

GuyDudeBroMan
Jun 3, 2013

by Ralp

Henrik Zetterberg posted:

Why wouldn't Stoneheart be in this season? I think there's a good chance.

Well half the people in this thread thought Stoneheart would be the final scene from Season 3 and were a little disappointed when it wasn't.

timp
Sep 19, 2007

Everything is in my control
Lipstick Apathy

rypakal posted:

e: asked and answered

e2: a better question. What would Dany's climax in s4 be if riding drogon was in s5?

e3: ~~~*Dario*~~~ actually making her climax and wedding?

Yeah, probably her getting chained foot to hand with Hizdahr. If they play up her romance with Daario, filming her decision to marry Hizdahr could be worthy of a season-ender.

Interesting side story about that, when I first read that passage in ADWD I thought it was a big oh poo poo moment when they emerged in front of the crowd with her hand chained to his foot. For some reason I thought the reveal was that they would be chained that way forever in some bizarre Meereenese tradition, hence the built up disappointment from Daario that she was getting married. It explained why he was bummed that they'd never get to gently caress again because I couldn't imagine why they wouldn't just continue to do it anyways behind Hizdahr's back. I mean, it was a political marriage anyways. Robert did it, I'm sure lots of past Targaryan rulers did it, what's the big deal?

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

timp posted:

Yeah, probably her getting chained foot to hand with Hizdahr. If they play up her romance with Daario, filming her decision to marry Hizdahr could be worthy of a season-ender.

Interesting side story about that, when I first read that passage in ADWD I thought it was a big oh poo poo moment when they emerged in front of the crowd with her hand chained to his foot. For some reason I thought the reveal was that they would be chained that way forever in some bizarre Meereenese tradition, hence the built up disappointment from Daario that she was getting married. It explained why he was bummed that they'd never get to gently caress again because I couldn't imagine why they wouldn't just continue to do it anyways behind Hizdahr's back. I mean, it was a political marriage anyways. Robert did it, I'm sure lots of past Targaryan rulers did it, what's the big deal?

Men are allowed to sleep around. Women are not. This is because of the whole parenthood of the heir thing that feudal societies consider important.

Now Dany is/thinks she's sterile, so you knows that isn't an issue, but she can't let anyone else know that because a Queen who can't produce an heir, isn't.

meristem
Oct 2, 2010
I HAVE THE ETIQUETTE OF STIFF AND THE PERSONALITY OF A GIANT CUNT.

timp posted:

She marries Hizdahr in her 8th ADWD chapter, and rides Drogon in her 9th, though. They marry, she opens the fighting pits, and Drogon appears. What would she be doing for an entire season?

MadDogMike
Apr 9, 2008

Cute but fanged

Alchenar posted:

Now Dany is/thinks she's sterile, so you knows that isn't an issue, but she can't let anyone else know that because a Queen who can't produce an heir, isn't.

To be fair, the same sorta applies to men in feudal societies as well (witness Theon and some of the Bran discussion, not to mention Vary and eunuchs in general), double standard of course is the guy never seems to get set aside in favor of another husband when that happens. Though I'd think Hizdahr dumping her over the issue would end... rather poorly for him given how her mere disappearance has gone for him.

GuyDudeBroMan
Jun 3, 2013

by Ralp

timp posted:

I think the love triangle between Jorah Danny and Dario will make up most of this season and the finale of Danny's storyline will be Jorah getting banished. The Hizdahr/Dario romance stuff can be in Season 5.

Unless they already cast Hizdahr for season 4?

colonel_korn
May 16, 2003

GuyDudeBroMan posted:

Unless they already cast Hizdahr for season 4?

They did, but that doesn't imply that the marriage actually takes place this season. No harm in introducing the character this season.

In It For The Tank posted:

Joel Fry as Hizdahr zo Loraq
Harzoo.

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver

CapnAndy posted:

I think he's pissed off because his suit doesn't fit :(
You'd think he of all people would be aware of the importance of getting tailored suits.

GuyDudeBroMan
Jun 3, 2013

by Ralp
I think the Danny, Dario, Jorah love triangle would work a lot better when it's on screen by itself before Hizdar/Quinton/Victarion/etc all show up wanting to marry her. Give Danny time to gently caress Dario and fall in love with him before all the hundred different suitors show up.

Leave season 4 for the Twilight style plot of: "OMG who is she going to choose? Jacob or Edward? I sure hope she ends up with Edward, but Jacob is just sooo drat sexy!! :j: " Get that plot line done and resolved entirely in season 4. End it with Jorah getting banished and Danny loving Dario.

Then we can use season 5 for the more interesting plot of "so who is Danny actually going to choose to marry? Will she marry for love, for power, or for stability?". That can take up most of season 5.

timp
Sep 19, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

meristem posted:

She marries Hizdahr in her 8th ADWD chapter, and rides Drogon in her 9th, though. They marry, she opens the fighting pits, and Drogon appears. What would she be doing for an entire season?

I don't know, but David and Dan do, that's all that matters really.

I'm of a mind that the show will speed up Dany's crossing of the Narrow Sea whether it's been published in the books by that point or not. I don't think HBO will want to endure the same wrath the book readers have produced at Dany still not being in Westeros since she's such a popular character in the show. Imagine Tumblr's explosion when she still hasn't made a move towards Westeros by the end of Season 5 for christ's sake...I just don't think they can get away with it

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

That's not really the best picture of Natalie, she looks like a troll doll...

Vernii
Dec 7, 2006

BrooklynBruiser posted:

Strong Belwas is a lame gimmick and I look forward to some nameless extra eating the locusts and dying.

The funniest thing about that assassination plot to me is the choice of weapon and location. She's already pissed off at being at the fighting pits, and the plan is "here, let's shove a bunch of cooked insects at her and badger her to eat them. It's genius!"

If they were chocolate covered strawberries or something she'd probably be dead, but the idiots thought that honey covered bugs is a sure trick to poisoning a woman.

Marijuana
May 8, 2011

Go lick a dog's ass til it bleeds.

Vernii posted:

The funniest thing about that assassination plot to me is the choice of weapon and location. She's already pissed off at being at the fighting pits, and the plan is "here, let's shove a bunch of cooked insects at her and badger her to eat them. It's genius!"

If they were chocolate covered strawberries or something she'd probably be dead, but the idiots thought that honey covered bugs is a sure trick to poisoning a woman.

There's a theory floating around somewhere that says that it was the Shavepate who poisoned the locusts. If that's the case, then the attempt doesn't necessarily have to be successful. If Dany dies, then the Freedmen and Unsullied turn on Meereen's old regime. If Dany survives the attempt, then she will turn on them herself.

Maarak
May 23, 2007

"Go for it!"
The Shavepate also knows that Dany isn't a huge fan of the local food, and he depends on her patronage directly to remain in his position.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Marijuana posted:

There's a theory floating around somewhere that says that it was the Shavepate who poisoned the locusts. If that's the case, then the attempt doesn't necessarily have to be successful. If Dany dies, then the Freedmen and Unsullied turn on Meereen's old regime. If Dany survives the attempt, then she will turn on them herself.

Thats from Mereenese Blot. I think it's a credible theory (along with the rest of the analysis on the blog), my issue with it is that it contributes to a trend particularly in Dance in which characters who have literally just been introduced and get maybe a dozen lines of dialogue in the whole book are actually serious players in events.

redreader
Nov 2, 2009

I am the coolest person ever with my pirate chalice. Seriously.

Dinosaur Gum
"beware the perfumed seneschal!". She remembered those words and had nightmares about them.

Later that day, she smelt the strong perfume of her seneschal, and was all "hey bro what's up"?

I don't get it. Surely she'd make the connection?

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

redreader posted:

"beware the perfumed seneschal!". She remembered those words and had nightmares about them.

Later that day, she smelt the strong perfume of her seneschal, and was all "hey bro what's up"?

I don't get it. Surely she'd make the connection?

Dany is not very perceptive. That's just mainly because she's young.

chellesandcheese
Jul 12, 2005

Alchenar posted:

Dany is not very perceptive. That's just mainly because she's young.

The shavepate isn't the seneschal though...

If you're saying she should be more suspicious of Reznak, I agree that from her current perspective she should...but if the Shavepate is behind the poisoning, it's not because she missed that hint in the prophecy. There's also the issue of Tyrion's boat being named "The Fragrant Steward" so it's entirely possible that the prophecy points to someone on that ship.

Mike N Eich
Jan 27, 2007

This might just be the year
Is Brown Ben Plumm going to get introduced this season? I can't imagine he'll be cut from the show completely as he appears to be one of Dany's betrayals and plays a role in multiple main character's storylines

Felix_Cat
Sep 15, 2008

timp posted:

Interesting side story about that, when I first read that passage in ADWD I thought it was a big oh poo poo moment when they emerged in front of the crowd with her hand chained to his foot.

That's a hilarious image, but presumably it's her hand tied to his hand, and her ankle tied to his ankle.

timp
Sep 19, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

Felix_Cat posted:

That's a hilarious image, but presumably it's her hand tied to his hand, and her ankle tied to his ankle.

I just reread it and you're right, but it's just ambiguous enough to be confusing.

A Dance With Dragons posted:

Four hours later, they emerged again as man and wife, bound together wrist and ankle with chains of yellow gold.

Again, weird Meereenese tradition? My brain apparently thought so.

gobboboy
Jun 5, 2006

The pride of PITR
Looks like for Jaime's hand they're literally just painting his hand gold. Best ever.

jsoh
Mar 24, 2007

O Muhammad, I seek your intercession with my Lord for the return of my eyesight
Should put him in a stiff glove. Or just actually cut off his hand.

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver

jsoh posted:

Should put him in a stiff glove. Or just actually cut off his hand.
Put him in a tight metallic-looking gold glove, wrap his hand up so he can't move it without really trying. May require binding individual fingers to fit them into the glove, depending on its design.

Or, sure, cut off his hand and fit him with a prosthetic, but that'd be the easy way out wouldn't it?

Pope Hilarius II
Nov 10, 2008

Mike N Eich posted:

Is Brown Ben Plumm going to get introduced this season? I can't imagine he'll be cut from the show completely as he appears to be one of Dany's betrayals and plays a role in multiple main character's storylines

Am I the only person who thinks that is an incredibly stupid name? He sounds like a character from Winnie the Pooh.

Rosscifer
Aug 3, 2005

Patience

timp posted:

I don't know, but David and Dan do, that's all that matters really.

I'm of a mind that the show will speed up Dany's crossing of the Narrow Sea whether it's been published in the books by that point or not. I don't think HBO will want to endure the same wrath the book readers have produced at Dany still not being in Westeros since she's such a popular character in the show. Imagine Tumblr's explosion when she still hasn't made a move towards Westeros by the end of Season 5 for christ's sake...I just don't think they can get away with it

If they stick with the big battle in episode #9 style that they've been doing so far that would put the Battle of Meereen at the 9th episode of next season and then she sets off for Westeros or maybe Volantis to get more ships in episode 10. So she at least would be loving moving at that point and audience would get Drogon roasting an army to whet their appetite. Also gurm wanted to end feastdance with that battle and David and Dan can actually stick to a timetable.

meristem
Oct 2, 2010
I HAVE THE ETIQUETTE OF STIFF AND THE PERSONALITY OF A GIANT CUNT.

the jizz taxi posted:

Am I the only person who thinks that is an incredibly stupid name? He sounds like a character from Winnie the Pooh.

I inevitably read him as a "brown plum", i.e. a prune. I think someone was eating when he invented that name.

Rosscifer posted:

If they stick with the big battle in episode #9 style that they've been doing so far that would put the Battle of Meereen at the 9th episode of next season and then she sets off for Westeros or maybe Volantis to get more ships in episode 10. So she at least would be loving moving at that point and audience would get Drogon roasting an army to whet their appetite. Also gurm wanted to end feastdance with that battle and David and Dan can actually stick to a timetable.

Yes, if Dany rides Drogon this season, the next season can adapt the Barristan and Quentyn chapters and end with the twin battles. Plus, the battles are probably written already, just not published.

escape artist
Sep 24, 2005

Slow train coming
Going back a little bit, aren't there like 3 or 4 potential perfumed seneschals? Dany's dude in Meereen is one. It's the name of a ship that I think Tyrion was traveling on to go see Dany. And Varys fits the description of being a perfumed seneschal, and is supporting Aegon's quest for the throne. The guy in Meereen feels like a "vibrantly crimson herring" since he's literally referred to as the perfumed seneschal around the same time you hear the prophecy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fatkraken
Jun 23, 2005

Fun-time is over.

meristem posted:

Yes, if Dany rides Drogon this season, the next season can adapt the Barristan and Quentyn chapters and end with the twin battles. Plus, the battles are probably written already, just not published.

This is stupid. Riding Drogon is pretty much the last thing Dany does in the books published thus far other than making GBS threads on some grass. If she rides Drogon this season, she has NOTHING for next season. At all. And she's one of the main characters, they can't just cut/mostly cut her from the season, she has to be in more or less every episode. They'll have to find her something to do that either hasn't been written, or hasn't been published yet, and get her WAY ahead of everyone else's stories.

It's not gonna happen and I'm super confused that people keep wondering if it will.

If there's not enough material between where Dany is now and when she rides Drogon, they'll put new stuff in the middle and flesh out Mereen or pre Mereen, there's plenty of space, powering through that stuff and getting to the fighting pits and the Drogon escape just isn't on the table.

• Locked thread