Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
OG Necromancer
Jan 20, 2014

Guys, it can't be Saionji because:

Where the hell did she put her hair?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

And More
Jun 19, 2013

How far, Doctor?
How long have you lived?

This person looks fairly lanky, if anything.
The only people taller than Ibuki (1,64 m) (and not excessively so) are Souda (1,72 m) and Sonia (1,74 m). Tsumiki is of about the same height as her (1,65 m). Nanami (1,60 m) is shorter than Ibuki, Saionji is really short (1,30 m).

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

And More posted:

This person looks fairly lanky, if anything.
The only people taller than Ibuki (1,64 m) (and not excessively so) are Souda (1,72 m) and Sonia (1,74 m). Tsumiki is of about the same height as her (1,65 m). Nanami (1,60 m) is shorter than Ibuki, Saionji is really short (1,30 m).

I forgot this was a Japanese game which means it lists that kind of thing.

Now we just need to compare bust sizes to see who could plausibly be under that robe.

I kid.

Krinkle
Feb 9, 2003

Ah do believe Ah've got the vapors...
Ah mean the farts

What was the olson twins reference before you westernized it?

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!

Baron O Beefdip posted:

Presumably it came unclipped somehow or another and then was put inside her robe.

Seriously Safe
Sep 7, 2009
If this case mimics the first game's third case, this will end up being a double murder. The last two were similar (attempted murder with a knife from the kitchen, instant death via blunt force trauma), so I won't be surprised.

Psychodrama
May 29, 2013

Poulpe posted:

I'm guessing you were only meant to look at those images for a few seconds each and not even notice how tall the person is.

Normally I'd agree, but I only looked for a split second at those images while reading the update. Initially, based on the first picture, I assumed Saionji's build matched the figure and thought "yup, has to be her", then doubted myself immediately when seeing the second picture. That's just me, though. I guess it could be Kuzuryuu also, but something has me thinking it's Saionji in the first pic...maybe it's just a trick of my perception since her usual outfit fits her similarly to how the robe's sitting on the figure.

Baron O Beefdip posted:

Guys, it can't be Saionji because:

Everyone said Junko couldn't possibly be Monoluchador in DR1 for the same reason, and well :v:

Psychodrama fucked around with this message at 03:24 on Jan 23, 2014

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

True, but the game never made a point of showing us another shot of the monoluchadore with hair spilling out of the mask.

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Are... are you quite sure you really want to say that?
Taco Defender
Before I hated Mikan for her being such an annoying flustered doormat. Now I hate her for being creepy. Somehow managing to out-creep Souda, Yamada, AND Hanamura. Well done, game.

That video chat thing was interesting. The cut-off before the deed was a big flashing light to me that it was pre-recorded. An actual one-person suicide, the camera wouldn't have stopped. I think the killer climbed the ladder, staging that video to make it look like a despair-fever suicide. Which means they knew how to fiddle with electronics and alter Souda's modifications to display a pre-recorded video when someone pressed the button. That's not definitively pointing at a specific person, but...

Stabbey_the_Clown fucked around with this message at 03:15 on Jan 23, 2014

Bean
Sep 9, 2001
Re the pupils: obviously it's a sign that everyone is everyone else's twin. :v:

Another thing about Saionji: did she learn to tie her obi? Did Koizumi teach her how to tie it, or did she ever get the chance, or did it sink in? Because if she's running around next update without her kimono, we'll know who was in the robe.

Podima
Nov 4, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Krinkle posted:

I'm actually guessing that's intact from the original, given Japan's love of weird pop culture references.

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 3 days!
To whoever said the thing about the bag and demoralizing and all that, I think it added to that, but I doubt the killer had cruelty in mind and was more a convenience to stage the murder so yeah I dunno.

----------------
This thread brought to you by a tremendous dickhead!

Admiral H. Curtiss
May 11, 2010

I think there are a bunch of people who can create trailing images. I know some who could do this as if they were just going out for a stroll.

Podima posted:

I'm actually guessing that's intact from the original, given Japan's love of weird pop culture references.

It's http://ja.wikipedia.org/wiki/%E3%81%93%E3%81%BE%E3%81%A9%E3%82%8A%E5%A7%89%E5%A6%B9 as far as I can tell.

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.

Krinkle posted:

Originally: The Komadori Sisters. A super-popular post-war musical twin act, known for rising into stardom from poverty and still active today in their 70s. Any Japanese person over 20 knows who they are, but they're so obscure in the west they don't even have an English Wikipedia page.

Oren had switched it to the Olsen twins in the first draft and asked if I had a better idea; I did not. They're a bit more... recent... than the original but hey, there are only so many singing twin acts old enough to make this comparison funny.

I briefly entertained the notion of changing the joke and switching the reference to Jedward. I mean, hell, I've already willingly made a Bieber reference, there's only so much worse I can make this. But hey, what we got works.

Spatula City
Oct 21, 2010

LET ME EXPLAIN TO YOU WHY YOU ARE WRONG ABOUT EVERYTHING
Well, poo poo. Although it's not ENTIRELY clear, it seems like Ibuki's bit the dust, and it seems like somebody's gone to a lot of trouble to make it look like a suicide, but hosed up a couple things that will give them away. The hair and the tote bag, namely.
But I have a feeling this is far from over, like given that this is the third case, there almost HAS to be a second death.

Oliver Crowley
Apr 28, 2013

Consult your pineal gland, schmuck.
This might be nothing, but I noticed that the scale of the two scenes (the presumably prerecorded video and the body) is off significantly.

In the pictures from the call Hinata answered, whoever was climbing to the noose was capable of standing on the middle step and still grabbing the noose with a bent arm. However when we see the body, there is clearance from the bottom of the victim's feet to the top of the ladder. It means, assuming it's not artistic distortion that is irrelevant, that the noose in the cutscene is much higher up. At best, it's proof that the two scenes are different places, at worst more proof the video Hinata answered was not a live feed.

Also, a bell in the back of my head is ringing and making me think "Souda" when I see that the person climbing the stepladder has really long fingers.

Flocci
May 29, 2013

Terrible and bland.

Stroth posted:

That's a step ladder. It's four or five feet tall at the most. Compare it to the person climbing it. That's Saionji. She's the only one even near short enough. How is this supposed to be a mystery?

Ladder, step ladder... What does it matter? Both can be manufactured and sold at various heights. Maybe you need to stop judging things based on narrow-minded cultural assumptions. :colbert:

Jewel
May 2, 2009

To all the people picking out every detail from the broadcast: the video is gone, Hinata can never watch it again, and he was the only person who saw it, so no matter what's in it you can't really use it as evidence or reasoning.

Edit: I'm bad with names irl yet alone videogame names.

Jewel fucked around with this message at 03:51 on Jan 23, 2014

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!

Flocci posted:

Ladder, step ladder... What does it matter? Both can be manufactured and sold at various heights. Maybe you need to stop judging things based on narrow-minded cultural assumptions. :colbert:

For a second there I thought that I wandered into a Phoenix Wright board on accident.

zolthorg
May 26, 2009

Jewel posted:

To all the people picking out every detail from the broadcast: the video is gone, Naegi can never watch it again, and he was the only person who saw it, so no matter what's in it you can't really use it as evidence or reasoning.

You're typing to the people who freeze-framed the attract mode videos. Don't waste your "Breath"

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

KNEEL BEFORE THE WICKED KING!

Fedule posted:

Originally: The Komadori Sisters. A super-popular post-war musical twin act, known for rising into stardom from poverty and still active today in their 70s. Any Japanese person over 20 knows who they are, but they're so obscure in the west they don't even have an English Wikipedia page.

Oh, neat. I kinda figured it was Chang and Eng, but then that wouldn't really necessitate changing since most people know who they were anyway. Probably wouldn't really have worked in the context, but that doesn't stop most things I've seen that need lazy twin names (or references or the like). Seem to almost always use either those two, or Castor and Pollux if they're feeling daring with it :v:.

orenronen
Nov 7, 2008

Fedule posted:

I did check to see if the Olsen Twins were as well known in Japan as they are in the west (they are). You can't have a Japanese character referencing something they most likely don't know about, can you?

...But, anyway - the reason we changed this particular reference is that it's a joke. I put cultural notes on things where the reference itself isn't what's funny about the situation. If I did it here, the moment would be completely ruined.

Wyvernil
Mar 10, 2007

Meddle not in the affairs of dragons... for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup.
Oh, drat. It's murder time. It was a long time coming, too. :smith:

Though the lack of a murder announcement is understandable, since Hinata's alone at this point, I'm still finding it rather ominous. I wonder if the next update will involve Monobear chiming in to announce that a body has been found. Hinata would then be momentarily confused, since a discovery announcement requires three people, before he makes a terrible realization. He goes "OH poo poo!", and runs back to the hospital just in time to see Kuzuryuu and two of the hospital guests standing over the second body.

Speaking of which, I don't recall if Monobear ever set a kill limit for this game. In the last game, he had an explicit rule that no one could kill more than two people, but I don't think he's said anything to suggest that the rule still applies here. I wonder if we're getting a triple murder this time. Though unless Nidai shows up as one of the victims, I doubt they'd cut down so much of the cast so quickly, unless the culprit was one of the victims.

Facetious Jim
Dec 13, 2009
After that black metal thrash performance, a dark ritual suicide is about the only way for Ibuki to go that would make it past Japanese censors.

You will be missed, Ibuki. Whoever killed her will probably also be missed after their trial but not to the same extent.

dmboogie
Oct 4, 2013

...Goddammit, this is the second game in a row where my favorite character was killed off in the third case.

Still holding out hope that it isn't actually Ibuki, but... :smith:

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010

Blasmeister posted:

Man this murder feels particularly dark, I'm not sure if it's the cruelty of the whole forced ritual suicide on camera thing, the lighting and music, or that Ibuki was my favourite character. This was some cold poo poo and I have no sympathy for whoever did this :(

So I hope it's saionji because I don't want anyone else to have been capable of it.

It's Hinata and his infection was blackouts (not being controlled by the player). :aaaaa:

Penakoto
Aug 21, 2013

Goddamn, that's dark, watching someone hang themselves like that is just one of the most unnerving and creepy things.

The bag over the persons head... I'm thinking the video is a recording and whoever is seen in it, isn't the same person who was hung.

You wouldn't put a bag over the victims head to hide their identity, everyone would find out anyways pretty quickly.

What I'm thinking is the victim was murdered in some way that could pass as being caused by the hanging (strangulation, broken neck, asphyxiation, etc) BEFORE the video recording. Then the murderer dressed the same, made it looked like they were about to hang themselves, and instead strung up the already murdered victim.

Which would make Souda a pretty big suspect, him being the guy to set up that two way video communication device.

[Also, now that I've written all that out, it sounds EXACTLY like an actual episode of CSI or some other crime show, that has aired before.)

Penakoto fucked around with this message at 05:15 on Jan 23, 2014

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012

Anatharon posted:

It's Hinata and his infection was blackouts (not being controlled by the player). :aaaaa:

Part of me wants DR3 to have the player actually kill someone and spend the rest of the chapter trying to cover it up only to get dismantled during the trial and have the new protagonist be the one to land the final blow.

Bobulus
Jan 28, 2007

DR1 and 2 seems to like making the murderers seem slightly sympathetic so that knife-twist when Monobear executes them is worse. What if the murderer in this case has despair sickness and isn't technically responsible for their actions, but Monobear kills them anyway?

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Bobulus posted:

DR1 and 2 seems to like making the murderers seem slightly sympathetic so that knife-twist when Monobear executes them is worse. What if the murderer in this case has despair sickness and isn't technically responsible for their actions, but Monobear kills them anyway?

I'd actually like that. I've been getting the sense that this Monobear's different from the first in that he's less concerned with the game than he is with hurting the students. It'd be nice to get that confirmed.

curiousTerminal
Sep 2, 2011

what a humorous anecdote.

Spiritus Nox posted:

True, but the game never made a point of showing us another shot of the monoluchadore with hair spilling out of the mask.

Her hair isn't spilling out from under the bag though, as I've seen people say before. It's the handles of the bag. You can see it in the body discovery video as well.
Unless you were talking about the body discovery and not the video Hinata was shown, in which case it very obviously can't be Ibuki, since there's no hair spilling out from under the bag.

OG Necromancer
Jan 20, 2014

curiousTerminal posted:

Her hair isn't spilling out from under the bag though, as I've seen people say before. It's the handles of the bag. You can see it in the body discovery video as well.
Unless you were talking about the body discovery and not the video Hinata was shown, in which case it very obviously can't be Ibuki, since there's no hair spilling out from under the bag.

The point is, the game is making a point of showing one with hair coming out of the bag and the other without, so the way the bag covers the hair is going to be important.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Baron O Beefdip posted:

The point is, the game is making a point of showing one with hair coming out of the bag and the other without, so the way the bag covers the hair is going to be important.

Yeah. It seems odd to point out how some characters logically can't fit their massive anime hair under the bag, only to reveal that the person on the screen had done just that (as they would need to do if they were Saionji or Mikan or somebody.)

orenronen
Nov 7, 2008

I... I’m too late...?

Tropical Despair

W...WHAT THE HELL?!

As I stood there, dumbfounded, I suddenly noticed how unusually hot it was.

What the... Why is it so hot in here?
It doesn’t make any sense...
...No... That’s not important right now.
Why isn't anyone coming?! Where is everyone?!
Oh! The body discovery announcement!

That's right... There hasn’t been an announcement yet... They probably don't even know...

I...I have to tell them!

The motel is nearer than the hospital... and there’ll be more people who can help...

...Let's go!

I ran to the motel so fast I nearly tripped over myself.

HEY! IS ANYONE HERE?!

I didn't waste a second as I yelled for help.

Ugh. Such a foul cacophony... Is this your doing?
T...Tanaka... Something bad’s happened...!

You don't mean... you have succumbed to the despair fever?! Have you come to drag us all to the abyss with you?

You will go no further! If you would enter the motel... you shall have to defeat me first! Your march of corruption ends he--

Miss Monomi's Practice Lesson

Um, what's going on? Are you two fighting? You shouldn't fight.
We aren't fighting...
T...There's a body...!

...Hoeh?

Music stops

Are you deaf?! I found a body!!

A...A...A...A body...?

Tropical Despair

KYAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!!

You lie... It is the work of the fever - the strain that renders your every word a falsehood. It has claimed you too!
...Wait.

...Hinata-kun, are you telling the truth?
O...Of course I am! Why would I lie about this?!

...Are we to believe him? He has been confined together with the intolerable one... If the lying fever has spread...

Still, we have to check. If there really is a body...

That would mean... it’s happening again, isn’t it?

M...Mutual kiwwing?!

We have to see if it's true or not.

I see... then... you may proceed.

I shall remain here for now... the others must be alerted.

But fear not. I shall follow you soon enough.

Um... Isn’t that what people say wight before they get killed?

...Are you coming, Nanami?
Yeah. We should hurry.

Oh, what's the big hurry? We always have time for some extra dialogue.

I...Is it weally true? Is there a b...b...b...

Kyaaaaaaaaaa! I'm too scared to even say the word!!

...Such boisterousness... We are trying to maintain some tension here!

I... kill the tension?
That's quite a fundamental pwoblem... What am I doing wrong...?

Your problems go deeper than that... the very premise of your character is ludicrous!

Then that’s something we have in common!

Ha! Touché, leporine one. Touché.

When did they become best buddies?

Worry not on my account... Do you forget to whom you speak?

The most dangerous traps are as child’s play for one of my power... I shall render them all to dust!

If what you told us is true... we have to hurry.

...Yeah, She's probably right. So, let's get away from the motel.

Ah, Hinata-san!!
Tsumiki...? What are you doing here?!

You're here just in time!! You have to help us!
H...Help you? With what?

Hey, someone's coming from the other direction too.

Hinata and Nanami...? What are you two doing over here?
I should ask you the same thing!

Isn't it obvious?! We're looking for Mioda!
Looking for... Mioda...?

Um... I thought I'd go see how the other patients were doing before I went to bed...
B...But Mioda-san wasn't in her room... She must have gotten away at some point...
...What?!

You don't think... maybe...
We have to go... quickly.

...Go? Go where?
The music club! Just follow me, I don't have time to explain!

...The music club?

Is... Mioda-san over there?

Dammit... M...My wounds aren't fully healed yet... You can’t make me run like that...

So, is Mioda-san inside?

I have no choice. I have to go inside one more time and check.

Is that body... really Mioda?

...Let's go.

I clenched my teeth and reached a hand toward the door.

* rattle rattle rattle *

Huh...?

What's going on? Is it locked?
But... why? I was just in there...!

I...Is there another entrance...?

Nope. That's the only one. There aren't any windows, either. This is the only way in.
S...So why is it locked...?

I don't have a clue, but...

If it won't open, we'll just have to break in!

Hmmm... Can we? There are only four of us, and two are girls.

This isn't a question of can or can't! We have to!

Come on. On my count, ram it with your entire body! One... two...

...NOW!

On Kuzuryuu's signal, we charged the door with all our strength.

* bang *

I...I think it moved...!

This is going to be easier than I expected...

Yeah. Especially since two of us are girls.

One more time!

Following Kuzuryuu's instructions, we rammed the door one more time, and then...

Music stops

* crash!! *

It was... a little like the end of a live concert.

After the last note of the last song, there’s a moment of silence before the crowd erupts into applause and cheering.

Well, there was a moment of silence alright.

But instead of applause...

...KYAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!

?????? (Youtube via Polsy)

Chapter 3
Ocean Breeze Dead End
(Ab)normal days (end)

orenronen fucked around with this message at 06:45 on Jan 23, 2014

Poulpe
Nov 11, 2006
Canadian Santa Extraordinaire
WELP IT WASN'T SAIONJI YOU GUYS!

Ugh, I knew they'd have multiple people all bust in the room at the same time. Now we can't disqualify anybody as the murderer except of course Hinata.

Apollove
May 31, 2013
WHEN I SAID I'D RATHER IT BE SAIONJI I DIDN'T MEAN I WANTED HER DEAD TOO!

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!
Now all that's left is for Tsumiki to die and this chapter will have pulled a hat trick of killing off my least favorite characters. I like this chapter.

OG Necromancer
Jan 20, 2014

I'm having a hard time being smug about the culprit not being Saionji when she's dead.

Jewel
May 2, 2009

Why are you so sure it's not Saionji? Saionji could have killed Ibuki and someone else could have killed Saionji.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Color Printer
May 9, 2011

You get used to it. I don't
even see the code. All I see
is Ipecac, Scapular, Polyphemus...

orenronen posted:

Your problems go deeper than that... the very premise of your character is ludicrous!

Then that’s something we have in common!

DR2 calls 'em as it sees 'em.

On the one hand I'm pretty bummed that Mioda's dead (presumably, I don't think there's any way it can't be her). On the other hand, we got two dead bodies this chapter and that's always fun. :unsmigghh:

I doubt we're looking at a one culprit, two victims case here, though. One might have killed the other.

• Locked thread